Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Devita daily spf30 vs. Epicuren zinc block spf20
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
How do these two products compare? Both have good reviews here and on makeupalley. Has anyone tried both? Or even if you haven't tried both but tried one of these, how was it?

The Devita one is a little bit cheaper (about 2$ per oz cheaper), but it also comes in a jar while the epicuren comes in a tube. What's sorta confusing me is that Devita is claiming greater spf but it has a lesser % of Zinc Oxide- 14% vs. the 17% in the Epicuren one.

Devita Daily Solar Protective Moisturizer spf 30

Contains: Purified Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides (derived from coconut oil), Stearic Acid, Vegetable Glycerin, Rhatany Extract (Natural Sun Screen), Glyceryl Stearate (from vegetable oil), Soy Lecithin, 14% Micronized Zinc Oxide [> 100nm - un-coated], Vitamin E Acetate, Allantoin, Comfrey Root Extract, Grapeseed Extract.

Epicuren Discovery Zinc Block SPF 20

Ingredients: Deionized water, micronized zinc oxide, glycerin, collagen amino acids, aloe vera, biotin, niacin, riboflavin, hydrolyzed elastin, panthenol, magnesium aluminum silicate, beeswax, xanthan gum, rose hips, tocopheryl (vitamin E) acetate, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf, retinol (vitamin A) palmitate, ergocalciferol (vitamin D), cinnamomum cassia (cinnamon)extract, grapefruit seed extract, bearberry leaf extract.
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I just started to use the Devita about a week ago. I really like it far more then other SS I've used. It sinks in right away, no white cast. Because it's so user friendly, I find I'm more apt to use it then I have been with others.

I haven't used the other one. Can't help you there.
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely will use the Epicuren, first because its in a tube, (less chance of comtaimination) and second more zinc. I wouldn't suggest any sunscren in a jar. Over time it might lost its effectiveness faster. Actually, I use both Obagi and Skinceutical's sunscreens and I love them both.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Right now I'm leaning towards Epicuren because of the jar issue with the Devita.

Ok, this website http://www.bodyofgrace.com/SCAT/DEVITASKINCAR_169C.cfm
has the devita spf 30 for 15$, and shipping is 5$. They're saying all devita is 30% off this month. I just e-mailed them asking for the expiration date on it.
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think there's much jar issue with Devita. You go through it in a very timely manner if you're using enough product and using it on more then just your face.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered the Devita sunscreen based on the positive reviews and the natural ingredients. I have read that the "30" protection isn't an accurate SPF since they haven't gone through the necessary testing to claim that it is a true SPF 30. I'm OK with that if I end up loving it as much as others do. I figure that if it is a pleasure to use, doesn't break me out, is chemical free with no white cast and is fairly affordable, it's the sunscreen for me, regardless if it's a little less protection than a SPF 30. I do wish they packaged it in a tube though.

As for the other sunscreen mentioned, I've never heard of it but based on an ingredient comparison, I'd still go with the Devita.

Let us know what you decide and I'll let you know what I think about the Devita once I try it.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Did you order it from the body of grace site or somewhere else? Where?

There's a spa near me that has Epicuren and I'm going to try to get a sample from them tomorrow. At least I won't be paying for shipping. It's 34$ for a 2.5 oz tube, so that's 13.6 $/oz.

What's better about the Devita ingredients vs. the Epicuren?

CMAYC wrote:
I just ordered the Devita sunscreen based on the positive reviews and the natural ingredients. I have read that the "30" protection isn't an accurate SPF since they haven't gone through the necessary testing to claim that it is a true SPF 30. I'm OK with that if I end up loving it as much as others do. I figure that if it is a pleasure to use, doesn't break me out, is chemical free with no white cast and is fairly affordable, it's the sunscreen for me, regardless if it's a little less protection than a SPF 30. I do wish they packaged it in a tube though.

As for the other sunscreen mentioned, I've never heard of it but based on an ingredient comparison, I'd still go with the Devita.

Let us know what you decide and I'll let you know what I think about the Devita once I try it.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
yogi wrote:
I don't think there's much jar issue with Devita. You go through it in a very timely manner if you're using enough product and using it on more then just your face.

How quickly do you go through a jar?

I'm only going to use it on my face though. I'm going to use the Mexitan spf 50 mixed with body moisturizer on neck, chest, hands, etc. I've been trying to use the mexitan spf 50 mixed with stuff on my face but it's been a losing battle, it's not elegant enough.
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
yogi wrote:

How quickly do you go through a jar?

I'm only going to use it on my face though. I'm going to use the Mexitan spf 50 mixed with body moisturizer on neck, chest, hands, etc. I've been trying to use the mexitan spf 50 mixed with stuff on my face but it's been a losing battle, it's not elegant enough.

I only just got it, so I'm not sure how long before I go through it. But given the size of the jar vs the amount I'm using I'd expect to have it last maybe 6 to 8 weeks. Because I like using it, I'm also using on my chest, arms and hands. I also have a heavy duty one that I'll keep for times when I'm outside for a longer time. hth
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I've heard good things about Epicuren SPF 20 but can any one tell me what's the % of zinc oxide in the sunscreen? I heard that it's better to wear SPF30 and over so I'm abit hesitant about the Epicuren but many MUA'ers have raved about the product.

Oops... I missed the 17%! Impressive % but I'm curious to know with Epicuren why it's only SPF20 when it has 17% zinc oxide?
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Where do people order their devita from? Do you trust the freshness? I ordered mine directly from them and it was almost $30 plus $9 shipping. The shipping seemed outrageous to me. Devita currently has the Solar 30 on sale for $23.96 on their site - still not as cheap as what body of grace is selling it for. I want to order more but am looking for best price and guaranteed fresh product.
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:49 am      Reply with quote
I bought it at Whole Foods. I think it was about $21.
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:

Yes, unfortunately my understanding of the Devita is that there IS NO SPF NUMBER. While the cream is quite nice, there's no way to know what kind of sun protection it offers. Every other company posts the SPF number, and doesn't hide it with deceptive labeling. Why not Devita?
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
While the package doesn't show the amount of zinc in Devita, their website shows 14% micronized zinc oxide. I wonder why they don't put it on the packaging? Compared to Becca's Mineral Foundation which has 17% micronized zinc oxide and an SPF of 30, it seems plausible that Devita could be 30'ish.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped by that spa today. They didn't have samples, but they did have a tester and I used that. I liked it... I put a lot around my eyes and didn't get any irritation. I was willing to buy it right then, but they were out of stock, and they'll get a shipment soon so I'll come by again in a week.

On and the woman there told me I have great skin and asked me if I had just had a facial. I actually came there straight from the gym so apparently some exercise is all you need to get that elusive "I just had a facial" glow. Smile And she didn't even attempt to suggest any other products- you can't fix what's not broken!

Anyway, the tube vs. jar issue is a big deal to me so I'll probably get the Epicuren. It has more zinc oxide and I also like that it's moisturizing (based on my reading of reviews of this and davita, my guess is it's more moisturizing that devita) and is supposed to have anti-aging benefits.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Did you order it from the body of grace site or somewhere else? Where?

There's a spa near me that has Epicuren and I'm going to try to get a sample from them tomorrow. At least I won't be paying for shipping. It's 34$ for a 2.5 oz tube, so that's 13.6 $/oz.

What's better about the Devita ingredients vs. the Epicuren?

Through the Devita website, I searched retailers in Washington and found a store in Spokane, Washington (Huckleberry's). Turns out, my husband and I are taking a trip there next weekend, so I just phoned the store and they are ordering one for me (for about $22).

To answer your question, I wouldn't say that Devita's ingredients are "better" than the Epicuren's. I just have very reactive skin so, for me, the simpler the ingredients, the better.

You'll have to let us know your experience with the Epicuren sunscreen. If the Devita one doesn't meet my expectations, I might have to give it a go! Smile
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I used the Devita about a year ago and didn't rebuy because it stung my eyes. I was surprised, considering it's "natural" -- usually the chemical sunscreens sting my eys. I would love to know what you think of the Epicuren also. I heard good things about it but haven't put it on my list due to the lower SPF.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
I love the Devita too but it does sting my eyes a bit. I also boost the SPF by mixing it with some "I'm Covered." Also, I bought mine from Internatural.com and paid $15.37 for it last Dec. I bought two and the shipping was $4.95. I've been using the same container for 4 months and still have another few weeks worth left. I didn't know that about the "capping" of the product or it losing potency if not used in a timely manner Sad
I also love Mexitan for my body, even though it leaves a whitish caste. I have no new hyperpigmentation on my arms since I've used Mexitan, which is truly a miracle, because normally they are a patchwork of brown splotches.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Here's another micronized zinc based sunscreen:

Badger spf 30

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Other Ingredients: Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Blood Orange) Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Seabuckthorn Berry) CO2 Extract, Tanacetum Annum (Blue Tansy) Oil, Cananga Odorata (Ylang Ylang) Oil

It's 16$ for 2.9 oz, and it comes in a tube. Shipping's reasonable. Badger uses Z-Cote, so it should be both safe and not white. I think this could be HG material...

http://www.badgerbalm.com/pc-372-6-spf-30-for-face-body.aspx

Unfortunately, it's temporarily out of stock. Also, I can't find any reviews on it as to its cosmetic elegance. I really want to have an elegant facial sunscreen asap so I'm pretty sure I'll buy the Epicuren.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Are the eyes themselves stinging or is it the skin around them? I wonder what would cause that?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC,

That's funny! I'm more attracted to the Epicuren rather than Devita *because* the ingredients seem more exotic! I guess the Epicuren just seems like a high end product to me.

If you don't need a sunscreen asap and are willing to experiment, what about Badger? It seems promising! It's currently out of stock though... Sad

CMAYC wrote:

Through the Devita website, I searched retailers in Washington and found a store in Spokane, Washington (Huckleberry's). Turns out, my husband and I are taking a trip there next weekend, so I just phoned the store and they are ordering one for me (for about $22).

To answer your question, I wouldn't say that Devita's ingredients are "better" than the Epicuren's. I just have very reactive skin so, for me, the simpler the ingredients, the better.

You'll have to let us know your experience with the Epicuren sunscreen. If the Devita one doesn't meet my expectations, I might have to give it a go! Smile
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
I used the Devita about a year ago and didn't rebuy because it stung my eyes. I was surprised, considering it's "natural" -- usually the chemical sunscreens sting my eys. I would love to know what you think of the Epicuren also. I heard good things about it but haven't put it on my list due to the lower SPF.

Yeah, I'm getting the Epicuren one mostly because of all the good reviews on it. About the spf- I think spf could be misleading. Spf measures protection against UVB rays while UVA rays are just as bad. Zinc oxide protects against both UVA and UVB. So although a chemical sunscreen could have the same or higher spf it may not be offering total protection like zinc oxide does.

Also, maybe it's some companies (like Devita) that claim a certain spf don't have it tested vigorously? Anyway, I think it's better to just look at the % of Zinc Oxide in a sunscreen formulation. The epicuren has 17% Zinc Oxide so this seems good enough for every day wear to me.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Mountaingirl,

I also have the Mexitan sunscreen- I think it was your comments on it that made me order it! Why don't you try the Badger sunscreen (when it's available again). It's cheaper than Devita, though not as cheap as Mexitan and it comes in a tube and it uses Z-Cote, I have such high hopes for this product!

Yeah Mexitan is ok for the body but there is a white cast. A couple of reasons for this:

1. The particles sizes they use are larger than what's in Z-Cote
2. They use titanium dioxide as well as zinc oxide.

According to a lot of research, zinc oxide is definitely the superior sunscreen. Zinc oxide offers better protection and it's also less white than titanium dioxide at all particle sizes and concentrations. Also, titanium dioxide is slightly less safe than zinc oxide. It's possible that extremely small particles of titanium dioxide can be absorbed by the skin, and cause harm, but zinc oxide is totally safe.

I don't put sunscreen on my arms unless I'm going to be in the sun all day... I just looked, and there's a lot of freckles on my arms and shoulders while there's only a few here and there on my face... Hmmmm.

If I were to put sunscreen on my arms I would have to shave them first since I'm so hairy, lol.

mountaingirl wrote:
I love the Devita too but it does sting my eyes a bit. I also boost the SPF by mixing it with some "I'm Covered." Also, I bought mine from Internatural.com and paid $15.37 for it last Dec. I bought two and the shipping was $4.95. I've been using the same container for 4 months and still have another few weeks worth left. I didn't know that about the "capping" of the product or it losing potency if not used in a timely manner Sad
I also love Mexitan for my body, even though it leaves a whitish caste. I have no new hyperpigmentation on my arms since I've used Mexitan, which is truly a miracle, because normally they are a patchwork of brown splotches.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
It's the eye balls Rolling Eyes that sting a bit from the Devita. I tolerate it for a couple minutes, then they calm down. As for Badger, I do want to try it, especially since I'm running low on Mexitan. I posted this once before, but since this is a different thread, I'll post it again. It's a link to an article about the most TOXIC FREE sunscreens, which are only Mexitan and Badger.
Link:
http://eregimens.com/therapies/Toxins/ToxinAvoidance/BodyCare/Sunscreens.htm

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote: If I were to put sunscreen on my arms I would have to shave them first since I'm so hairy, lol.

Hell yeah, shave 'em. I've been shaving my arms for years and years! It's done wonders for my skin~!! Ok...I have minimal arm hair, at least I did...I have no idea what would be there now if I didn't shave 'em.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |