Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dry, dry, dry hair!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:23 am      Reply with quote
Help! I have REALLY dry hair! It's naturally pretty dry and I recently dyed it and now I look like I have a poodle-wig Shock

I've tried everything, from coconut oil in my hair, to aveda products and I they haven't worked.....so can you guys reccommend and good supplements and products that will help me achieve shiny locks?!!
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:59 am      Reply with quote
I think you should look into Redken All Soft; the products in that series are formulated especially for naturally dry hair. You will find shampoo, conditioner and a treatment mask called All Soft Heavy Cream, which I know is a favourite at MUA. Another option might be Kerastase Nutritive, if you can get hold of it.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:35 am      Reply with quote
well if the coconut didn't work this may not either, but it keeps my hair soft and shiney after 25 years of home dying....
Warm olive oil, apply to scalp and roots with cotton wool pad (better still get someone else to do it) and massage scalp firmly. Then pour an amount into hands, rub together and apply lightly to the lengths. wrap hair in a hot damp towel (this is great to do in a sauna btw) and leave as long as possible. If you haven't put too much oil on it should wash out in 2-3 washes, but use baby shampoo. This is good for itcy scalp and dandruff too. Alternatively, you could try umberto gianini intensive conditioner, that's pretty good. Alas it comes in a squeezy tube and not a cool sexy bottle. Still, can't have everything Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Now don't think I lost it....this is a great treatment for hair: MAYONAISE

Use real mayo (not light) on washed hair. Really smother you hair with it. Wrap hair in a nice hot towel. Leave on for at least 30 min. If you have one of those old fashion cap hair dryers its awesome to go under that for about 10 mins. but not necessary. You could even warm up the towel with your hair dryer every 10 mins.

Rinse out mayo and shampoo lightly and put a nice conditioner in your hair.

Sounds like you hair is chemically damaged. It would be a great idea to have it cut (or at least go for regular trims). There is always a way your hairdresser can remove the color (semiperm). Perhaps you could even have a salon treatment that would help.

Try to stay away from too much blow drying and sprays for a bit.

Oh yes ladies.....I am a hairdresser. In my 59 years: Hairdressing, Dental Office, Facial Salon. Now, I just do what I want. Mainly lovin by Grandbabies. Very Happy

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, will try this stuff out and keep you posted Wink
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Yazzy....

My hairdresser put me on Redken AllSoft Heavy Cream and I love it! It has conditioned my hair better than any conditioner I've used.

If you blow dry your hair, something else that will help with smoothness is a ceramic blow dry brush. The round core is white ceramic with plastic bristles coming out of that. Somehow when the ceramic is slightly heated by the warmth from the blowdryer, when you pull the brush through your hair, it smooths the ends.

My hair isn't all that dry, but because it's a very course texture and wavy, it gives the appearance of being dry. The Heavy Cream and ceramic brush smooth it out great.

It might not be good for your hair in it's current condition, but I find that a straightening iron also smooths my hair out wonderfully. I have the kind with the ceramic plates that are sort of a matte gold look. I couldn't live without my straightening iron.

Another tip my hairdresser gave me about the AllSoft Heavy Cream... although it says leave it on 5 to 15 min., you can actually use it like a regular conditioner. Shampoo, towel dry the hair and apply, leave in for a minute or two and wash out. You can feel the hair just smooth out as you rinse. In your current hair condition, you probably do need to leave it on for an extended time, but on a regular basis, I find it works great rinsing it out after only about a minute.

And... the large tube lasts forever!

JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:43 am      Reply with quote
I found a good website:www.lookfantastic.com
they sell all sorts of cool stuff including Redken and Keratase products. I'm tempted to give these brands a try.

PS. Winnie, do you put the mayonnaise on damp hair or dry hair? Question Exclamation
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I have thick naturally curly hair that tends to be dry even if I didn't color it. The two things that work wonders for my hair are tigi bed head dumb blonde and using a leave in treatment like sebastian potion 9.

I also agree that Redken all soft is a great product for dry hair.

I straighten my curls with a flat iron which is very drying so have been using a new product by Joico called silk results. It is a flat ironing spray that really does what it promises and makes your hair silky and shiny.

Hope this helps.

Sherri
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
SherriinCanada wrote:

I straighten my curls with a flat iron which is very drying so have been using a new product by Joico called silk results. It is a flat ironing spray that really does what it promises and makes your hair silky and shiny.
Sherri

Sherri....

Thanks for that tip. Silly me, I never really thought to look for a flat ironing spray. I don't know how I ever lived without my flat iron. I'm able to keep my thick wavy hair looking great with it, better than I ever could before. One thing I do find that is essential about using a flat iron is doing very thin sections at a time. Sometimes I also give it a little turn under right at the end and it gives just the right curve. I used to use a big fat curling iron and never use one at all since I got my flat iron.

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

The flat ironing spray is also supposed to protect your hair and I really don't know how I lived without it lol. I have a flat iron that has it's own curve built in which works great for flipping your ends out or under. I have tried other flat ironing sprays such as Matrix sleek results and don't find it does what it promises. The new Joico one really does work great and comes with shampoo and conditioner which I personally didn't care for.

Sherri
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

The flat ironing spray is also supposed to protect your hair and I really don't know how I lived without it lol. I have a flat iron that has it's own curve built in which works great for flipping your ends out or under. I have tried other flat ironing sprays such as Matrix sleek results and don't find it does what it promises. The new Joico one really does work great and comes with shampoo and conditioner which I personally didn't care for.

Sherri
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Yazzy wrote:
I found a good website:www.lookfantastic.com
they sell all sorts of cool stuff including Redken and Keratase products. I'm tempted to give these brands a try.

I am a regular customer, and the site is highly recommendable. But you should notice that they don't ship Kerastase outside Europe.
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Me too! I'm in the UK and the delivery is really fast.
I buy all my MOP and Aveda products from them. After reading this thread I will have to place an order for some Redken All Soft products!

Out of all the products I've tried on my dry hair the best so far has been the MOP Mixed Greens shampoo and conditioner. I don't know if it would work on severely damaged hair though.
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
Out of all the products I've tried on my dry hair the best so far has been the MOP Mixed Greens shampoo and conditioner. I don't know if it would work on severely damaged hair though.

But does it smell like "mixed greens"? I have the leave-in conditioner, and it has a faint smell of vegetables to it. Nothing disturbing, though. BTW have you tried the MOP Glisten stuff?
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Nemi wrote:

But does it smell like "mixed greens"? I have the leave-in conditioner, and it has a faint smell of vegetables to it. Nothing disturbing, though. BTW have you tried the MOP Glisten stuff?

Doesn't really remind me of the smell of vegetables. Maybe faintly.
Haven't tried any other MOP products yet. Was going to try some of the C-System products but some of the reviews I've read haven't been great.
Definately tempted by the Redken stuff though. About 90% of the reviews I've read on the products claim the All Soft range is nothing short of a miracle for dry hair.
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have the impression from other boards that All Soft is a godgiven gift for dry, coarse hair. My hair isn't like that, so I have only tried Color Extend (terrible) and Extreme (good if your hair is more damaged than dry).

I live in Norway, and Redken is one of the brands that are ridiculously expensive here. So I have recommended Lookfantastic to all of my friends. Very Happy
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Nemi wrote:

I live in Norway, and Redken is one of the brands that are ridiculously expensive here. So I have recommended Lookfantastic to all of my friends. Very Happy

I found another website tonight that sells Redken at a discounted price. Slightly cheaper than Lookfantastic too.
http://www.hddirect.co.uk
I think they deliver to Europe.
I've never ordered through them though so don't know if they are reliable or not.
louisvotton

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
i use olive oil ,it is really helpful
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have curly hair that tends to be very dry. I switched to conditioner-only washing, no silicones, and no heat to dry or style my hair. Started doing this years ago and my hair is in much better condition. Never been healthier.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:13 am      Reply with quote
I over-processed my hair and it's really dry at the ends but it's healing. I use all natural products as I found any other products (however famous the brand) never did anything or sometimes even worsened my dry ends. I saw gradual improvement when I switched to John Masters products but the improvement is slow (but it did take away my split ends). The product I have found that gave me the vast improvement and also the quickest was slathering pure Avocado Oil on my ends (it can also moisturize my hands while I'm at it!). I've been doing this everyday after I wash my hair and condition my hair (I apply it to towel dried hair as it absorbs better on damp hair). After the first few times I already noticed my ends being less tangled and less breakage, also whatever split ends that I have left that the JM didn't take care of the Avocado oil did. With avocado oil when I wake up the next morning my ends don't get super frizzy when I try to comb it which is visibly a huge improvement imo. It's also the most economical way as I bought 100mL of the oil for only 20CAD, which will last me forever.
loveskincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui,

Does the Avocado oil make your scalp more oily/greasy at all? Whenever I used something to moisturize my ends, my scalp also got more oily/greasy.
Caspers Mum

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Terax Crema, and then use a leave-in hydrating product. The one from Terax is good.
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
My hair is over processed and dry. Last week I bought a shower head with a filter in it -- Nothing fancy, just something I saw at Target.

I noticed a difference immediately. My hair is much softer and shinier. My skin feel better too. I was very surprised.

So, I suggest to filter your shower water if is clorinated, in addition to the products.

-- Bee
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |