Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Reality check on the war on wrinkles - MSNBC article
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:28 am      Reply with quote
I was checking email and got to the MSNBC home page. One of the article titles caught my eyes:

Quote:
Reality check on the war on wrinkles: Looking younger or just weirder?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23359042?GT1=43001

I've been thinking about this topic after seeing Priscilla Presley on Dancing With The Stars. I don't want to look like that at 62. She seemed unreal. So anyway I thought this is a good article, and puts things in perspectives, so I wanted to share it.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing.

It's a great point here, that it can be difficult to achieve a natural, younger look with face lifts and fillers. It's easier to fix a nose or a couple of breasts with plastic surgery.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Don't you think the point is all things in moderation? Pricilla has probably *surely* overdone the work but it's important to remember that she was all shot up with an industrial grade silicone. I think we tend to think that if it's a celebrity than they are going to the best and obviously in some cases that isn't so. I've not botoxed or been filled yet and I am not ruling it out. I think the point of the article was to not have unrealistic expectations and to have moderation in what is done. I have friends who've had fillers and they look lovely. They've done their homework and gone in with the right expectations and chosen the right Doc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
I also think the point of the article is that all of these wrinkle reducing procedures does not necessarily make one look "younger."
I've seen older celebrities who obviously had their faces lifted but really don't look younger at all. They still looke their age to a certain degree.

Anyways, thank you for sharing this article with us. It was an enjoyable read.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Part of the article says that doctors are seeing more patients in their 20s and 30s for preventive botox. I can't imagine why someone in their 20s would have to get botox. I thought the lady (I think her name is Kathleen if my memory serves me correctly since I am not looking at the article right now) who tried restylane and botox and didn't like the results and is now embracing her smile lines looks really pretty and natural, and she's 48! Anyway I was kinda inspired by the article and her story. This is not to say I would not try either. In fact, I tried botox once and thought it was kinda cool, and could see why it could become an * spam alert *. I didn't have that much, so I didn't have that frozen expression she mentioned. My older sis though tried it once and was describing the same result (frozen expression), and she refused to do it again after it faded off. Anyway glad you guys liked the article as much as I do. It was kinda thought-provoking for me.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
yeah it doesn't really make them look younger or anything. In fact, I think it makes them worse cuz they look so stiff and unnatural. It seems like they are wearing a plastic face or something Very Happy
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
yeah it doesn't really make them look younger or anything. In fact, I think it makes them worse cuz they look so stiff and unnatural. It seems like they are wearing a plastic face or something Very Happy

From what I've seen in my friends, Stardusty, it doesn't have to look unnatural and frozen. I think quite often it's a point of too much and not artfully done. But I do know what you mean. Joan Rivers is a perfect example of the no lines, scary look but she's in her 7o's? I'm not sure. But she's an example of someone I thought of right away and I'm sure there are others who are younger.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I guess maybe u r right BluesHeart. Those that're stiff and plastic looking might be overdone.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
I live in L.A., and some of the things I see here every day are downright scary. Where will it all end? Who or what will get us off this celebrity/youth-worship train?
I see everything from terribly bad/dark hair dye jobs to the waxy no-face-remains issues. It makes me think twice when I look in the mirror, I can tell you that.

Body Dismorphic Disorder is an insidious disease that creeps up on you. Much like an eating disorder (which I have had in the past, so I know how internal the whole thing is). We all need to keep at least one friend in our lives who will STOP us from doing stupid things to ourselves. Although I have a couple of friends who I am that friend for -- and my words failed to affect them. They had already panicked. I have another friend who I urge repeatedly to take care of herself. But she just complains about "getting older and greyer and fatter" -- as if good diet and self care has no real effect.

Did Priscilla think when she went on "Dancing" that people would say "My, she looks wonderful"? Was she blind-sided by the magazine covers and internet flames? Does she care? Since it can only be "fixed" to a certain degree, does she think of it often, or not at all?

Do these celebrities not research and get the VERY BEST surgeons in the country to do the work? How could Presley go to a renegade "doctor" for silicone injections? How does that happen?

Okay. I know. Being a celebrity doesn't necessarily mean you are either smart or rich. What it means is that you live by your image. Not your appearance. Your image. Which must stay the same or you lose your living and life.

Spooky stuff.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
I live in L.A., and some of the things I see here every day are downright scary. Where will it all end? Who or what will get us off this celebrity/youth-worship train?
I see everything from terribly bad/dark hair dye jobs to the waxy no-face-remains issues. It makes me think twice when I look in the mirror, I can tell you that.

Body Dismorphic Disorder is an insidious disease that creeps up on you. Much like an eating disorder (which I have had in the past, so I know how internal the whole thing is). We all need to keep at least one friend in our lives who will STOP us from doing stupid things to ourselves. Although I have a couple of friends who I am that friend for -- and my words failed to affect them. They had already panicked. I have another friend who I urge repeatedly to take care of herself. But she just complains about "getting older and greyer and fatter" -- as if good diet and self care has no real effect.

Did Priscilla think when she went on "Dancing" that people would say "My, she looks wonderful"? Was she blind-sided by the magazine covers and internet flames? Does she care? Since it can only be "fixed" to a certain degree, does she think of it often, or not at all?

Do these celebrities not research and get the VERY BEST surgeons in the country to do the work? How could Presley go to a renegade "doctor" for silicone injections? How does that happen?

Okay. I know. Being a celebrity doesn't necessarily mean you are either smart or rich. What it means is that you live by your image. Not your appearance. Your image. Which must stay the same or you lose your living and life.

Spooky stuff.

I couldn't agree with you more on the body dymorphia. I think that those who truly have it don't even recognize it. I know people who wouldn't dream of exercising but who would run right out and make an appointment for Lipo as if nothing else exists for good health other than a a good plastic surgeon or prescription medications to get you to a size someone has else has decided you need to be. Yet, at the same time I fully admit to wanting a little filler here or there. Definitely a slippery slope.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:

I don't know what happened with PP, but I have noticed a disturbing path where the collective answer given by "professionals", family and friends is not what the askee wants to hear. They don't want to hear, "No, not a good idea," or "You're not a good candidate for that," or "We advise against that." And so they keep on asking until "yes" arrives in whatever form (renegade or not) where it is gratefully embraced, effectively skewing their common sense.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Sidda wrote:

I don't know what happened with PP, but I have noticed a disturbing path where the collective answer given by "professionals", family and friends is not what the askee wants to hear. They don't want to hear, "No, not a good idea," or "You're not a good candidate for that," or "We advise against that." And so they keep on asking until "yes" arrives in whatever form (renegade or not) where it is gratefully embraced, effectively skewing their common sense.

Excactly, Havana. Do we honestly think that Joan River's got an honest opinion on her most recent work? Or how about that woman who no longer looks like she has a normal human face? In thinking more about PP, I think this Dr. was offering the veritable fountain of youth and I think that these ladies thought they were getting something 'special' that no one else was going to have access to. I think we're all a little guilty of believing what we want to hear. How many times have we all found ourselves lemming a product because it was someone else's fountain of youth, whether it be a cream, a device, ect. These people have bigger lemmings with larger wallets.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I agree Blues: the bigger wallet sure does influence things} I was at a wedding recently in a wealthy gated community in GA. - spectacular affair. The man I was with pointed out everyone and told me their story - facelift, two augmentations, blah, blah. I felt like I was in Hollywood! Me, I've had Botox infrequently - Five times in the last two years. I had a terrible habit of scowling - I mean terrible, people used to comment and it wasn't me. I looked like I was angry and I wasn't and it bothered me terriibly. I will say the Botox has stopped me from the repititive motion. I don't seem to do it anymore and now I dont' think I need the botox. But if I start up - I would get it. Now I see normal frown lines and expression - I can live with this.

I do have a filler appt - next week and it is for NL folds - It is my 50th birthday present to me. That said, after seeing all those people at this party with all their stuff I can see that having the cash and the dream in your eyes can push you in that direction. On the other hand - with my good habits and good skin care I thought I looked just fine Wink The beautiful suit I bought at Nordstroms kind of helped too Very Happy It was fun seeing how the ...very much other side lived.

Oh, and I saw PP on dancing with the stars - first and only time I ever watched it and I thought OMG, does she look like H*ll. And she used to be so pretty. Talk about losing touch.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I love this........

“I was looking at one of those women, a celebrity on TV, the other day and you don’t look at her at think wow, she looks like a beautiful 24-year-old; you think, who is that 40-year-old weird-looking lady?”

So true! Laughing Laughing Laughing
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
I think you can look graceful and well-maintained and then you can cross the line. Too much and all over the place eventually just looks bad. *Joan Rivers
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I hope my big boss does not read this or know who I am, but I had a meeting with her yesterday and saw her up close and personal. Her eyelashes were shooting straight up toward the ceiling. They made her eyes look very weird. I thought the only way her eyelashes could look like that was because she got a bad eyelift job. I know she got a facelift before, and it made her look fake. Her doctor did not give her good results, but I never noticed her eyes before. I don't understand why she got such bad results. I am sure she could afford the best plastic surgeons. Was the doctor having a bad day? Was the doctor too hungry and wanted to finish up the surgery quickly so he could go get something to eat? Did he have a fight with his wife the night before? I guess all of those things were possible. It's scary we place our faith in the hands of these doctors and one wrong move could mean bad or good results that show on our face for the whole world to see. So I guess plastic surgery could be a gambling sometimes.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Plastic surgeons are people too. One slip of the knife a few mm too much and you're stuck with it.

Just like that article on MSNBC look at all the bad plastic surgery on people who can afford the best. Look at Kenny Rogers. It doesn't matter. That surgeon has probably done wonderful surgeries on other people. Kenny just got the bad day!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
When I saw Priscilla I thought of Cher remember her! Last time I saw Cher she looked like an old woman trying to look very young! I do beleive in Botox and fillers because these products in moderation can help a person look younger but nothing will make a 40 plus woman look like she is in her 20's and that is where people go wrong! They try to do too much thinking they can turn the hands of clock further and further and they end up looking like total freaks!
ChelseaaaHi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
That's horrible ]: to have fix yourself
so much that you can't even look normal?
Yea the rule of thumb would be moderation.
This can be easily altered when some doctor tells
you otherwise to emphasize your flaws and it just happens so that we are insecure or try to achieve perfection. Not everyone turns out to look like an alien after plastic surgery though. It just depends on the doc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
When you look at Michael Jackson as a kid star and now, you just feel so sad. He definitely got enough money to get the best doctor, but he just kept doing more and more to his face until it's completely not him any more, and it looks really scary. He'd look way better if he left enough alone.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:06 am      Reply with quote
I feel so sorry for Kenny Rodgers, he looked so much better before his surgery,he does not even resemble himself at all, he looks like a totally different person; he has lost all his sex appeal;very tragic. Plastic surgery should simply make you look like yourself ten yrs ago,to turn the clock back a little, not make you look like a different person. The biggest mistake most of these older stars make?They wear way too much makeup,that just makes you look older.(Yes and Wayne newton wears too much eye and face makeup AND his hair is too dark.You would think PP would know better about silicone, god she has enough $$$ to go to the best drs!Unfortunately bad plastic surgery is very noticeable and gives PS a bad rap.Good PS is subtle and not noticed and stars will not admit credit to the good drs who deserve it!
Aussielady

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:51 am      Reply with quote
I am new to this site and enjoyed reading your opinions. The article is certainly informative and entertaining.
One thing I have noticed that you, ladies, talk about, let's say, mature women. Living in Australia I get scared with the growing number of young (very young 13-16yo) girls who want to get plastic surgery done - face, ears, nose, bust. And what scares me even more is that these girls' mothers take them to plastic surgeries. As a teacher I talk to young people about natural beauty - but media is winning over any arguments.
I wonder if this is a problem in America as well?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:31 am      Reply with quote
In my opinion it's obviously difficult to achieve a natural look with plastic surgery, botox and restylane.

Priscilla Presley has been mentioned. One can add Farrah Fawcett, Dolly Parton, Linda Evans, Melanie Griffiths, Liz Taylor, Mickey Rourke, Taylor Dayne, LaToya Jackson, Michael Jackson, Donnatella Versace, and the list goes on.

All of these celebrities have money and resources to find qualified plastic surgeons.

Some of the younger celebrities in the 30ies and 40ies have done more moderate treatments. They don't look scary (yet), but as the article in bkkgirls link states, it's difficult to get a natural look, and many of them are at the risk of looking a bit weird. I see quite a few "younger" women with stiff smiles after fillers and a chronically surprised look after eyebrow lifts.

Even though you have got a successful face lift, your neck and chest will still show your age. It's like renovating a room. When one wall is painted, the flaws on the other rooms are more visible.

Personally I could maybe consider to remove bags and wrinkles in the eye area if it looks really bad in 15 years, but I would not dare to try to repair a sagging face.

Here's a link of some celebrities with bad luck at the doctor's:

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/cat_scary_celebrities.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Aussielady wrote:
I am new to this site and enjoyed reading your opinions. The article is certainly informative and entertaining.
One thing I have noticed that you, ladies, talk about, let's say, mature women. Living in Australia I get scared with the growing number of young (very young 13-16yo) girls who want to get plastic surgery done - face, ears, nose, bust. And what scares me even more is that these girls' mothers take them to plastic surgeries. As a teacher I talk to young people about natural beauty - but media is winning over any arguments.
I wonder if this is a problem in America as well?

Hello and welcome to the site! I hope to be able to visit Australia one day since I heard it's such a beautiful country. Anyway I think here there're certainly young girls in their teens whose parents allow them to get plastic surgeries like a boob job, a nose job, an ear pin, whatever. The article even mentioned the fact that even women in their 20s and 30s are seeking out anti-aging products like botox. I think anti-aging is becoming a culture. Young women are afraid to age and maybe they feel if they do the botox early then they won't ever have to deal with aging later. Also most people like the easy way out to look better. So they want to go for plastic surgery to lose the fat quickly instead of exercising which takes months to see results. I prefer exercising though because I think gradual results are better and it's good for your health, too.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
In my opinion it's obviously difficult to achieve a natural look with plastic surgery, botox and restylane.

Priscilla Presley has been mentioned. One can add Farrah Fawcett, Dolly Parton, Linda Evans, Melanie Griffiths, Liz Taylor, Mickey Rourke, Taylor Dayne, LaToya Jackson, Michael Jackson, Donnatella Versace, and the list goes on.

All of these celebrities have money and resources to find qualified plastic surgeons.

Some of the younger celebrities in the 30ies and 40ies have done more moderate treatments. They don't look scary (yet), but as the article in bkkgirls link states, it's difficult to get a natural look, and many of them are at the risk of looking a bit weird. I see quite a few "younger" women with stiff smiles after fillers and a chronically surprised look after eyebrow lifts.

Even though you have got a successful face lift, your neck and chest will still show your age. It's like renovating a room. When one wall is painted, the flaws on the other rooms are more visible.

Personally I could maybe consider to remove bags and wrinkles in the eye area if it looks really bad in 15 years, but I would not dare to try to repair a sagging face.

Here's a link of some celebrities with bad luck at the doctor's:

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/cat_scary_celebrities.html

Yowza. I think some of the shiny looking skin is too many peels, starting too young. Moderation is the key. I don't think most women want to look like they're in their twenties but I think they want to slow down the clock a little. I personally find the makemeheal website kind of a scary place where quite often people list all the procedures they've undergone which makes me think that many get addicted to the work. It bothers me about young girls getting boob jobs and such at such an early age. I cannot imagine encouraging my 13 year old to do that but I'm not a boob job fan. I've heard people say they don't want to have a baby and ruin their bodies and I have to laugh as I like my body better after giving birth. I'm hearing a lot of absolutes here that are quite common in the young and inexperienced but at the end of the day, it's a personal decision.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |