Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
vitamin C sucks all moisture from my skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
is this just a normal thing for vitamin C? i have tried IS clinical, jansen becket and now obagi. the obagi actually goes on oily but then throughout the day my skin gets super dry from it. it is like the C sucks every bit of moisture out of my face. I really want the benefits of C, but i may have to give it up if there is no solution. any suggestions?
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I find the vitamin c very drying on the skin so I had to stop using it. Apparently ascorbic acid is very acidic. I am not sure about ascorbic palmatite if that is less drying but its a more stable form of vitamin c. I would suggest if you want lighting to try rosehip oil. Rosehips have a high amount of vitamin c and I suppose it being in a oil will help it not be so dry. Also it lightens age spots. I have not got around to trying it yet though I have some rosehip oil.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think it is due to the acid effect of Vitamin C, as most Vit C products are using Vit C esters, which are not acid. Besides, vitamin C is usually dissolved in oil, which should not affect your pH too much. I guess it is probably the oily phase of the products suck... Try if there is some nicer form of VitC .

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe your skin doesn't like topical Vit. C. Depending on the C you use, it can be very acidic (for instance Cellex-C's Advanced C with 17% C). That's part of how it does it's "job". I think that's why Cellex-C recommends the use Hydra-5 B Complex or their Advanced Skin Hydration Complex (products with a high hyaluronic acid content) after C application: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/cellex-c2.htm

If your skin can't tolerate topical Vit. C, take it internally (which we should be doing in addition to external application): 500mg 3x a day. The reason for 3x a day -- larger doses at once may just end up in your urine. Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is on the dry side and I use Vivier Kinetin-C and I'm very happy with it. I think it has only 10% Vitamin C, but I find it satisfactory and my skin is quite normal now with all the products I use. It does give me some glow and freshness. Have never tried any higher percentage, unless it was some samples from EDS, but after trying a sample of this, I ordered the full size, now coming to an end and plan to reorder soon. I fill up my little trial size bottle, so I don't have to open the big bottle so often and keep it as fresh as possible. It has not changed color. There must be something about the Kinetin that keeps the skin from drying out.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
In my own experience, some of the l-ascorbic serums can be drying, especially a couple I have tried with ferulic acid.

An exception is SkinMedica C complex, which I find more moisturizing as it's based on cones. I don't know if you have used it, but it's a light, creamy gel which has got lots of good reviews at this forum.

In my opinion, the Janson Beckett C&C is also less drying as it contains a non-acidic type of vit C, but you have tried that one.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Also applying vitamin c topically can deliver more antioxidants than taking it orally.

Large doses of vitamin c can also give you the runs which is also known as an "ascorbic flush"-taking high enough doses to get to that state in order to detox the body.
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
i've just order the Cellex-C's Advanced C serum and share with you later if it would make my skin dry or not
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
vitamin c slighty affects the skins PH this is why some may find it drying
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2008 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Applying a rich moisturizer after the vit C has fully absorbed (about 20 minutes) should help to counteract any dryness.

Another option is to look for a vitamin c product in an anhydrous polysilicone base.. (When you check the ingredients, water should not be listed!)

If any of you make your own serum, just ask me, and I'll give you a recipe to try. Just tell me what percentage you want it to be, and keep in mind that 10 to 15% is optimal. More than that is a waste, because your skin can only absorb so much. And also the higher the percentage, the more trouble you'll have trying to dissolve it.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2008 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Benev vitamin C has ph of 5 which is what you should aim for in skincare. Also their vitamin c is oil based so it might work better on dryer skin.

unfortunatley all skincare is trial and error, some things work for some and not for others but i think you should check out Benev vit C, it might be a bit pricey but if it works than its well worth investing in your skin.

EDS have started to sell this range now.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2008 11:55 am      Reply with quote
[quote="saz07"]Benev vitamin C has ph of 5 which is what you should aim for in skincare. [quote]

Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid), will not absorb into the skin unless the PH is 3.5 or below.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |