Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Payot Design Ultra Lift Remodelling Lifting Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) RejudiCare Retinol SRX Night Gel - Retinol Max (30 ml / 1 floz) DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask (113.4 g / 4 oz)
OCM - How often?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Vanilla

Mon May 05, 2008 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've just tried OCM for the first time and loved it. I am used to cleansing my face every day, but I've read a few posts saying this isn't a good idea for OCM. How often should it be done? Should I use a normal cleanser in between OCM sessions?

I used to have very oily skin but it became quite dry over the winter.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 05, 2008 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Vanilla, I just wrote you a reply re this very question in your thread on the Skincare forum!

Daily OCM may work on some people, or it might work for a few weeks and then they get acne! To avoid that you could just have a go at it three times a week. Or daily for the first week and then twice or three times (or just once, for mainenance, as some people do) thereafter.

I used to do it every day - sometimes twice a day! But when some people started reporting acneic skin with daily OCM I reduced the amount of CO (I have a tiny amount in my oil mix now, maybe like less than 5%!) and the frequency, so that I could still get the cleansing and other beauty benefits of OCM without any risk of side effects - just in case, you know. I really can't do without it, OCM is fantastic for pore cleansing and keeping my skin smooth (I used to have 'bumpy' skin) I just don't want to run the risk of acne and dry skin.

Don't forget to wipe off all the oil with a very warm (not too hot) wash cloth. In between OCM you couod use other cleansers, no problem.

HTH some!

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 2:14 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE OCM!! I have been at it for almost three years now and it is my HG for cleansing.

Now, I do it every day. So far I think I've been doing OCM daily for over a year (for the most part anyway Very Happy ).

The only time I have ever had problems was when I used TOO much castor oil. It really dried out my face.

I think that is the beauty of OCM. It is so simple to adjust as your face and skin need it. During winter I tend to only use EVOO while during the summer I add one part grapeseed oil to the mix (1:1:1).

You need to listen to your face and how it reacts. I guess not all people can OCM, but everyone I've had try it back home LOVE it.

It is def. worth trying!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Not to sound too dumb. But what is OCM???
Saucy
5% products discount

Wed May 07, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
OCM = Oil Cleansing Method

Basically you clean your skin with a mix of oils, usually using castor oil as one and an oil like extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil as the other.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the reply. No I understand this topic.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 5:16 am      Reply with quote
I use OCM every day and absolutely love it - have never had a problem. In fact, I never get breakouts now because it removes makeup so thoroughly. I was using it twice a day but I now just use it at night - in the morning I use a microfibre cloth and warm water.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm having a eureka moment here! I never considered that OCM is something you can do as a special treatment, say once or twice a week. I'm initially turned off OCM because it sounds like it's much more time consuming than what I'm used to doing for cleansing. Plus, my honey based cleansers are super gentle anyway. However, in the future mayve I'll consider incorporating weekly or bi-weekly OCM into m routine.

Does anybody do it once or twice a week?

pumpingmummy wrote:
Hi Vanilla, I just wrote you a reply re this very question in your thread on the Skincare forum!

Daily OCM may work on some people, or it might work for a few weeks and then they get acne! To avoid that you could just have a go at it three times a week. Or daily for the first week and then twice or three times (or just once, for mainenance, as some people do) thereafter.

I used to do it every day - sometimes twice a day! But when some people started reporting acneic skin with daily OCM I reduced the amount of CO (I have a tiny amount in my oil mix now, maybe like less than 5%!) and the frequency, so that I could still get the cleansing and other beauty benefits of OCM without any risk of side effects - just in case, you know. I really can't do without it, OCM is fantastic for pore cleansing and keeping my skin smooth (I used to have 'bumpy' skin) I just don't want to run the risk of acne and dry skin.

Don't forget to wipe off all the oil with a very warm (not too hot) wash cloth. In between OCM you couod use other cleansers, no problem.

HTH some!
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:

Does anybody do it once or twice a week?

My sister does, as do a couple of my girlfriends, like a twice weekly super pore decongesting cleansing treatment.

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
lavendula
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Now, I know the definition of OCM.
However, I am still a little confused about the procedure.
Which oil I should use? oil cleanser or pure oil?
How to do the OCM to the face?
After OCM, how to clean? general cleaning procedure?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
lavendula wrote:
Now, I know the definition of OCM.
However, I am still a little confused about the procedure.
Which oil I should use? oil cleanser or pure oil?
How to do the OCM to the face?
After OCM, how to clean? general cleaning procedure?

here's a thread that could answer all your questions above: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9717&highlight=oil+cleansing+method

This is good, too. Mabsy has collated all the relevant threads: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8539&highlight=oil+cleansing+method

But in summary, you use a blend of oils, usually castor oil to suck out impurities (but this could be drying or irritating for some people. experiment and see what ratios work best for you), extra virgin olive oil, and/or grapeseed oil, and/or rosehip seed oil etc as well as your essential oil(s) of choice (ylang ylang, lavender, etc).

Massage the oil into dry face until you feel sebum plugs come out. Wring a washcloth in hot water, place it over your face for a bit and then wipe off all the oil from your face. You will see dirt on the washcloth, including all your makeup. Repeat wiping your face with the hot/very warm washcloth until your face is clean of oil.

You may choose to use a toner after this, or rinse with water, or use a foaming cleanser (which to me isn't necessary), or, simply go on with your normal routine (vit C serum, moisturiser etc).

Oil cleansers are the commercialized form of OCM, they are usually water rinseable. There are some good ones out there if you do a search on here. But I find they don't work as well as the homemade non-water rinseable oil blends, although I do use them on occasion (when I'm lazy for example Razz )

HTH some! Smile

bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I searched the site and found many many posts on OCM, which has been helpful, but I have a few questions, and I am hoping that you can help me on this old post. I have tried this, in the past...a long time ago...but I think I was not faithful to it or did not understand it completely so I thought I would give it another try. I want to use Jojoba oil and Grape seed oil instead of "other" oils that have been used. What are your thoughts on these two oils? I have seen some other sites where people swear by these oils. Should I mix something else in with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
I want to use Jojoba oil and Grape seed oil instead of "other" oils that have been used. What are your thoughts on these two oils? I have seen some other sites where people swear by these oils. Should I mix something else in with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many love those oils and there's no reason why you cant give them a try. Grapeseed can be drying so keep that in mind in your mix %'s of oils. I would add an emulsifier so it would rinse off cleanly.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Girlie Girl~ what do you suggest?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
Girlie Girl~ what do you suggest?

For an emulsifier? cromollient is commonly used. As far what %'s of oil to use, I would just make small batches to see which your skin likes most. HTH
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:52 am      Reply with quote
I would like to ask the OCM-people whether you mix a batch that will last some time, or if you just mix a couple of oils in the palm of your hands every time you use it.

I mixed a batch with castor oil and avocado oil (probably not the best choice?), and the mix separated and turned bad after 4-5 weeks. It was nothing wrong with the oils. If you only use OCM two times a week, the batch will necessarily last some time. How do you do this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:14 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I would like to ask the OCM-people whether you mix a batch that will last some time, or if you just mix a couple of oils in the palm of your hands every time you use it.

I mixed a batch with castor oil and avocado oil (probably not the best choice?), and the mix separated and turned bad after 4-5 weeks. It was nothing wrong with the oils. If you only use OCM two times a week, the batch will necessarily last some time. How do you do this?

So far I've never had the problem of oil going off. I use castor and olive oil but I don't see why castor and avocado would be any different. You should definitely keep the oil in an opaque container - I use one of those ceramic pump soap containers.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Keliu.
Do you all massage the oil into the skin for several minutes? When using cleansing oils from Dermalogica and Decleor, I only massage for half a minute before rinsing, but I guess you will need to use more time with the OCM. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Thanks, Keliu.
Do you all massage the oil into the skin for several minutes? When using cleansing oils from Dermalogica and Decleor, I only massage for half a minute before rinsing, but I guess you will need to use more time with the OCM. Confused

Some instructions for OCM say to massage for 5 mins. I don't do this very often. I usually just massage enough to loosen up my makeup - just as I would do with any form of cleanser. Make sure to rinse really well with lots of warm water to remove all traces of oil.
lilome
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:55 am      Reply with quote
I usually massage for 7 min. - as per someone's instructions here on the forum.

I've been using OCM daily for two years now with no problems whatsoever. My skin used to be oily and break-out prone, now it is normal.

45, normal skin, formerly break out prone, normalised through OCM, CP's, Retin-A, emu oil, very few fine lines, some sagging in jawline on the way to be corrected thanks to Ageless, Facercise, Flexeffect, delighted with pucker-up, dermarolling , knuckle massage, tanaka massage, cross-stretching, facial detox
Artic_Mama
5% products discount

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
LOTS of oils can be used, and tailored to your specific skin needs, but I find the best all purpose oil to be jojoba, by far. It is cleansing but lacks the comodogenic and drying issues many others have. I also find it rinses away a bit easier than grapeseed. It's all experimentation but I have found the OCM to work very well. I do get the occasional breakout of whiteheads but usually it is either hormonal or I had a lazy day or two and didn't cleanse the oil away as well. Even with my sensitive, acne-prone skin this is both sufficient enough to clean and gentle enough to not irritate my skin that I use it once in the evening and a plain water cleanse in the morning.

I have linked it before, but one of my favorite sources for oils AND oil information is Mountain Rose herbs. Their prices are very hard to beat.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/bulkoil.html

As for how long I massage, I don't have a lot of blackheads, mostly whiteheads and bumps, so I even with lengthy massage I rarely get sebum plugs and grit, but jojoba has anti-inflammatory properties so I do find my pimples drying faster and healing with less red marks. I usually massage a minute or two, until the oil feels warm and has sunk in somewhat. Then I get the washcloth nice and hot, steam my face in quadrants before rubbing the oil away with several washes. I do a cold water splash to tone everything up and I'm good to go. This takes MAYBE four or five minutes, tops. I am very lazy with face routines (small children!) and even I can stick to this.

My FAVORITE thing to pair with the OCM is a plain water wash in the morning to get the grit and excess sweat or oil off, but not strip my face. For this, nothing beats Skinvac microfiber cloths.

http://www.skinvac.com/index.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to add to the discussion that when I first tried OCM, I broke out horribly and blamed it on the oils, but I'm the impatient type, and I'd also begun using the apple cider vinegar toner at the same time. Turns out, it was the vinegar that was breaking out my skin. So, it's best to try one new technique or product at a time; then you'll have a clearer idea of the effects on your skin.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Im pretty lazy, I would use OCM most nights of the week, but not every night. Been using it for about 2 years now maybe, no problems.

It is recommended though that you wash your face with plain water in the morning, as overuse of OCM can dry your skin out, but its probably best to just see how your skin reacts to the routine and work around that..
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:02 am      Reply with quote
I use OCM nightly, and in answer to an earlier question, I have a glass pump bottle that's slightly green tinted, and I mix my oils in it; When I'm not using it, I keep it on a shelf in my walk-in closet so that it stays in the dark most of the time. I haven't had any problems with it going rancid.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
jasminerosey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:30 am      Reply with quote
i've used ocm..in the winter... for for about 15 years when i first read about it in a diy natural facial products book....but i don't do the hot washcloth part...i just use the oils..massage well and rinse well.

66 , living(raw) food 30 years, botanical oils, several facial exercise programs & massage techniques & acupressure & shiatsu techniques for face and body, energy skincare like Ageless Secret and several ormus products used internally and externally, love vaculifter, ocm, occasional face brushing, clarisonic as needed.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Rodial Body Sculpture (200 ml / 6.67 floz) True Cosmetics Essential Radiance Skin Polish (100 ml / 3.39 floz) Thalgo Summer Dreams Body Mist (100 ml / 3.38 floz)