Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I was offered a job...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 3:53 am      Reply with quote
OK, my background. I have a two year old ph. d. in general linguistics, and as you may guess, the job market is a bit difficult. Rolling Eyes Until now, I've had a slightly relevant (but underpaid) post. doc. (research position), plus a teaching (aka slavery!) position in a rather irrelevant field (where I'm qualified), and I didn't quite know what to do next.

Well, yesterday I got an offer from my local uni; they wanted me to teach two full courses; one at the beginners' level, the other one a master's course (graduate level), plus some seminars at the crash course/introduction to languages that everyone has to take. Of course, I'll eventually have to accept, but I think they aren't really treating me in a nice way. That's how it turns out when money is more important than anything else. Rolling Eyes

(I had no intention with this thread apart from getting the opportunity to complain a bit).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I'm a BA in linguistics and I always assumed I'd go on to grad school and get my PhD... but I realized I don't want to have to compete in such a tricky field! That sucks they aren't treating you well, but it does sound like this position will be an upgrade, right?

And linguistics is such a fascinating field, I bet you'll have fun in the entry-level crash-courses, when you see that light bulb of understanding light up in certain students' minds once you explain some complex UG concept, ya know? I hope you can have fun with it!

I still really miss nerdy ling academia sometimes, and I occasionally find myself wishing I could justify going back to grad school. I still may someday -- I do simply love the discipline. Good luck with this career transition, and I hope it works out to your advantage!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Andrea38
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Yes, good luck- in the new position, if you do decide to take it!

I certainly understand agonising over career , as I've done it forever. I am so tired of it.
But unlike yourself- I don't even have a Bachelor's yet! (long story).

I hope your hard work pays off and you end up enjoying the teaching position-- it could be worse, you could be in MY position! lol

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Nemi: are you being offered an Assist. Professor position or a lecturer? Outside of the sciences 2 courses a semester is pretty usual. Do you get to do research also? I know that the job market is bad now. Many people have to do 2 post docs before a faculty position.

What type of position do you eventually want? Do you want a teaching position where research is a major component? I know the teaching field if you do not have a regular faculty position the pay is awful. I'm at a wealthy liberal arts institution and we pay adjuncts a pittance for teaching each course (7-10K). The 10 is for someone who is well known. Nobody could make a living at this.

It depends on what you eventually want. If they've offered you an assitant professorship I'd take it. You'll work your way up. If it is a lectureship depending on what your long term goals are I might stay as a post doc live as a student and try to publish enough to make a record. It also deoends on where you are in your life (are you married, do you have children?). I am tenured and our department has a very low tenure rate (about 17% before I was tenured it was 17 years between me and the next person who was tenured). The grant situation is grim (but hopefully will improve with an administration change). I know how grueling it can be at first but it is worth it if you can stick it out. I remember my third year was really tough I spent maybe 3 months straight with about 3 hours of sleep a night and then I crashed.

Good luck if you want to pm me with questions feel free. I know people outside academia do not understand but teaching 2 classes a semester can be brutal.

Good luck. To me being an academic (tenured) is the best job in the world. Also assistant professors complain a lot but if you ask any of them whether they'd switch jobs I do not know a one who would change.
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot about my complaint post Laughing

I decided to say yes; after all, it's relevant, and hopefully I'll enjoy it, as well. I finished my ph.d. two years ago, so I'm pretty fresh to the whole thing (apart from being a post.doc). I'm in Norway, where the system is a bit different, I believe. Assistant professors/full professors have 50/50 of teaching/administration and research, while the type of position that I was offered (for one term only, mind you) involves 75% teaching. In an ideal world, I would of course like a more even split, but as things are right now (and I don't want to move right now), I don't really have much choice. But I'm writing a project proposal right now, which might, if I'm among the lucky less than 5% who get funding, secure me a full-time research position for 3 years. Very Happy

Well, at least I'll get to do what I like.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
yikes all the BA linguists unite! I'm in a similar boat, one of my majors was Linguistics & Language teaching, so I did have some practical experience but it is an industry where they want someone superb but have no time to train and develop newbies. Ended up in an industry that I never gave a toss about EVER during my university days - banking...

I think the best thing about getting out of academia life is the end of the ongoing research portfolios... Actually tutorships get paid quite well in New Zealand although I don't think it is a particularly promising career path unless you aim for lectureship or field research.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |