Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

LONG Rant -- "customer" comments on my beauty blog
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I know I'm not exactly the first person to experience this phenomenon, but it still annoys the crap out of me. I have a skincare and beauty blog (also listed in my signature), and it's not particularly well-trafficked. (In fact, almost all my commenters are EDS members who've spotted the link in my signature! And I love you guys for chiming in. Very Happy)

But lately, I've gotten more and more comments that are clearly the result of someone doing a Google search. Cool, right? For the most part, yes -- I love that I'm getting some hits independent of EDS buddies. However, some of the comments I get are just dishonest bullsh*t.

I'm already used to getting tons of fake off-topic comments ŕ la "Nice site, look helpful, thanks" that just link back to ten different under-the-table Web storefronts selling expired ProActiv. (I just mark those as spam.) And sometimes I get people providing a helpful response and linking back to their own site, which I think is totally appropriate. But a recent comment I got really got under my skin, even though I tried to be polite about it in my response.

I wrote a post about butter London's polishes not really holding up to my expectations (you can see it here), and one of the commenters said that was weird, because she "gets her nails done there all the time" and thinks their polishes actually last longer than other brands. But guess where here IP address traced to? mail.butterlondon.com, that's right. (For you techies, most blogging software automatically sends you this information when a comment is entered -- entering your email address is optional, but the software always queries the IP address of the location from which the comment was entered.)

WTH?! I don't really care if you work there and want to respond to my post, but I think you should have the class and integrity to admit it. Check out this Blogdorf Goodman post's comments, in which Nonie Creme herself (the founder of butter LONDON) identifies herself clearly. She sets a good example by doing that (though I personally think she's a tad unprofessionally whiny in saying that the poster "hurt her feelings" -- you started a hot newish business that will be the subject of some scrutiny in the blogosphere! Get over it, or better yet, get a PR person to handle this type of response without pouting!), but it's a shame her employees don't follow this example of full disclosure.

I know it's no surprise that beauty BS like this happens all the time -- we all know about that Immuderm thread, and lots of other crapola out there. And I know from time to time EDS members get annoyed by industry professionals on this very forum who fail to identify themselves when discussing their own products (though I do think for the most part we get a MUCH more honest slice than the rest of the beauty world -- a statement about the integrity and determination of our awesome members, IMO!). I just balk at this as a business practice, especially of a company that seems to have a few more progressive goals than many others out there.

I gently outed the gal in my comments section, and in the comments of that other thread where Nonie piped up -- not like anyone of any import is going to read those closely, but still. It makes me feel better, a little. Bad Grin I just wish I didn't have to *bother* being vigilant about deceptiveness in the name of marketing, you know? I'd like to think that the industry as a whole is moving to a place where there's a more responsible and mature vibe about stuff like this, but clearly we're not entirely there yet. I dunno, it just rubbed me the wrong way and I wanted to whine to my fellow skincare snobs here. Laughing

Okay, </rant>, thanks for letting me complain!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Saucy
5% products discount

Fri May 16, 2008 9:00 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad you outed her/him in your comments. I love reading beauty blogs and forums like this one for people's honest opinions and while I realise that different things work for different people, I've often suspected that some commenters are actually affiliated with certain companies. There is one company in particular which I suspect of "padding" reviews and will not buy from them any more (mostly because I think their product are no good). While I understand the desire to protect one's product from criticism and I applaud the acknowledgment of the internet as a marketing tool, if the products are good, there will be no need for the company to defend them as others will do so or others will write positive reviews. It makes me uneasy when I think that the company is the only one writing positively about a product, so I'm glad that you outed the commenter. Thanks for keeping the blog-o-sphere a little more honest.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 9:08 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad you feel that way! I know a lot of our EDS-ers are a part of that mantra, and I agree that quality products shouldn't use BS tactics. I guess I'm surprised in part that they would even bother trying to pull this on my useless, under-trafficked little blog, ya know? Laughing I should just be flattered!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 10:23 am      Reply with quote
"I'm already used to getting tons of fake off-topic comments ŕ la "Nice site, look helpful, thanks" that just link back to ten different under-the-table Web storefronts selling expired ProActiv. (I just mark those as spam.)"

Those are an automated script that spams blogs.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I know -- I get TONS on my regular blog about all sorts of junk, but at least most of the blogspam I get on my skincare blog is sort of relevant. Still spam, but at least it's about skincare. Laughing

When will spammers learn that NO ONE is fooled by that crap!? Sigh...

edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
It's because someone out there does get fooled into this stuff Confused
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
That's outrageous! They should have a clearly defined policy for all employees that that kind of deceptive marketing is inappropriate.
obsessedshopper
5% products discount

Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I"m also glad you outed her, b/c I am the type that gets fooled by that type of stuff. Crying or Very sad
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |