Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Rash or flushing of face/chest???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I've had this weird thing happening for while where at the end of the day - usually between 5 and 6pm I get this rash on my chest, neck and face. It doesn't happen everyday but several times a week. I have tried to isolate the culprit so to speak withhout luck (food, supplements, make-up, environment, stress, sun, etc..) and cannot figure it out. The only thing I have determined is I think its worse in the days leading up to my period but still happens early in my cycle just not as often).
I took a picture to the derm who said "hives" but couldn't tell me why. It doesn't necessarily itch and often times I only notice it because I feel my skin heating up and look in the mirror and see it. It starts on my chest right at my breasts and migrates upward to my neck, face, ears and scalp. Sometimes it's on my shoulders and extends to my upper back. On a few occasions when it's been bad, it's been on my torso and lower legs. It seems to develop slowly over the course of a few hours, peaks around 5 or 6pm and then fades a couple hours later. It leaves marks on my chest...red bumps almost like pimples (single ones or in clusters) and sometimes what looks like broken blood vessels. I feel like I want to put acne meds on my chest to dry these bumps out. I honestly don't know if it's hives like the doctor said or more of a flushing reaction. If I push on my skin it's completely white where I've pressed..like a sunburn.

Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be or how to handle the residual bumps left behind?

Thanks.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, as I continued to read your description, it baffles me. I get hives, but they do not come and go like that. I can feel when I am going to be breaking out in hives, it really hurts. It is not a flushing red though. It is clusters of breakout like liaisons, but not all over as you have described. How long does it last? I get that redness when on my face and chest and I suppose my legs and upper arms when I am exerting myself. Such as moving furniture, or working out...it is almost warm skin, and hot feeling more inside my body than to the touch. I am curious about how long this lasts when it comes. Strange though, only happens in the evenings, has to be something you are coming into contact with. Maybe something in your yard or house. ???

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
It's a 4-6 hour event from start to finish. I originally thought it was something at work but then realized it happens when I'm not at work too. It is probably an allergy of some sort but to what I don't know. I've had some allergy testing but not too helpful - just dust mites, nickel and ppd dyes. It's probably some food additive or preservative found in lots of stuff which is why I've never been able to isolate it to a specific food/supplement. My skin does sometimes hurt too. It baffles me to no end.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
But you have the time down as far as it peaking around 5-6. Are you in the same place between those hours, are you doing the same thing between those hours. If you could isolate that, then you will know if it is your body- Maybe you are fatiqued by 5-6 in the evening, or maybe you eat or drink something (for dinner??) at that time? It is weird because it becomes blisters. What I don't understand is, if this happens often, are you constantly recovering from these blisters? Those don't just go away along with the flushing red- do they??

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
"Most" of the time I am at work when it starts but not always so I can't say it's my work environment. The blister/bump like things are there after the rest of my skin calms down and are red. They will last a few days then eventually calm down, dry up and go away. I have some steroid ointment given to me for an ezcema patch that I sometimes use on them which seems to speed their healing.
Sario
5% products discount

Sat May 10, 2008 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
That doesn't sound like hives at all... I'd guess some sort of contact dermatitis because the steroid seems to help it heal. Could be something like rosacea though, that's often confused with flushing and has bumps and broken capillaries. I'd definitely take a few pictures the next few times it happens to get a broader view, maybe keep a diary of what you're doing/eating/drinking and where you are for a couple of weeks - then go to a different derm for a second opinion. I'm very wary of docs who immediately spout off a diagnosis then can't justify it, it's like they just want you out of their exam room and in the cashier's.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Could it be stress related at all?

I would also consider a histimine-restricted diet for a short while until you can pin it down...my sister had to do this when she had a very similar problem.

http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

You might also want to get a 2nd opinion, as well as keep a journal on what you are using, eating, etc.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the ideas! I have started a diary and will seek a second opinion.

Bethany, did you sister figure out what was causing her problem? Did she have to stay on the histamine diet long-term?

I wondered about rosacea...but can rosacea be that transient with skin going from fine to bad back to fine in the matter of several hours?

Thanks again!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
shelly wrote:
Bethany, did you sister figure out what was causing her problem? Did she have to stay on the histamine diet long-term?

Shelly,

Mayo Clinc diagnosed her rash on her chest as Graves Disease, brought on by stress and autoimmune issues.

However, I get the identical rash she does when I use Retin-A or CPs too frequently on my chest so I personally think that it is more of a reaction to something she is using (and I am willing to bet my annual salary that she didn't tell them about all the skin crap she uses!)

Keep in mind that you can develop allergies to products that you have been using for an eternity. My suggestion would be to start by removing ALL possible skin and diet irritants, and then slowly add things back in to gauge your reaction.

It could be as simple as a reaction to you drinking a soda during an afternoon break at work, a change of laundry detergent, etc. Or something far more complex.

I would also take pics of you at your inflammed state and take them to the doctor with you...sometimes that helps.

And don't be afraid to see other doctors...it took me several to get something diagnosed, so I know there is definitely power in those multiple opinions!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |