Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Just moved in with my boyfriend and now I have skin damage!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
heathercolorado
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
All the lasers and gadgets and late nights spent mixing up high-octane DIY potions are all for naught Mad

Suddenly, I'm mottled, sagging, and fine lines are increasing daily. It's been two months here at his lovely home with vaulted ceilings and big windows, and the UVA rays coming through the glass have done more damage than I've incurred for the past five years when I was living in my nice dark condo!

He says I'm crazy, how can I have gotten sun damage when I never go outside without sunscreen (and rarely go outside at all!)

I laid down the law and demanded he get his windows tinted with UVA-filtering stuff ASAP or I'm moving out! He's addicted to my homemade tapioca pudding so he reluctantly agreed.

Here's a link to what seems to filter the most uvs--everyone stay safe and avoid my horrible fate--sudden, unexpected facial aging Embarassed

http://www.uv-shield.com

They make UVA protective films for home and automotive uses. I think the 99.9% UVA blocking home window film is UV CL-SR PS (clear.)

For those of us who are really concerned about UVAs, I just found this link to the Xeroderma Pigmentosum Society, which has astonishing amounts of information and links about preventing UVA exposure, because even the slightest bit of UVAs can do deadly harm to those who suffer from this rare disorder.

Warning: It's kind of sad and depressing to read about the poor kids who have Xeroderma Pigmentosum, so this link may be best to avoid if it might bother you.

http://users.bsdwebsolutions.com/~xpsorg/index.html

Anyway, ladies, everyone stay pretty and UVA-free this summer!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
lol. It's true love when you've got him altering his place after only a few months there. Best of luck with it all.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 3:59 am      Reply with quote
That's the ultimate love: Living together and GROWING OLD together. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 6:11 am      Reply with quote
This is my preception of your post.....

I don't think you should "demand/lay down the law" to him to tint his windows as you've been only living with him for two months. I'm surprised he hasn't told you where to go I know I would. Did he not have these windows, or have sleep overs with the same windows before you moved in?

Why don't you just buy blinds/curtains for the windows if it bothers you so much, or move back into your dark condo.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Are you sure that the sagging and fine lines have increased after only 2 months there? I'm no expert but I would have thought that it would have taken longer than that.

Perhaps you've noticed the difference because you're looking in mirrors with more natural night now - and that can show up all our flaws in much greater detail?

It sounds like a beautiful apartment. You must have a very, very understanding boyfriend for him to tint the windows for you. I would be pretty annoyed if someone demanded that I do that, I'm afraid to say.
nakeidknits
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Heather,

Have you recently relocated to Colorado or are you a newtimer? I'm almost a native and it's dry in them thar hills. When we visit the mountains from Denver, I feel like my face ages 10 years, because it's so dry.

I'm not discounting your UVA theory, after all, we are closer to the sun. I wear sunscreen inside. When I remember.
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 8:46 am      Reply with quote
i have read an article,talk about that window glass can block 90% ultraviolet radiation.i don't think the sunlight in living room can cause skin damage.maybe some other reasons?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 11:01 am      Reply with quote
That's a great solution with the UV shield thing! I hope everything works out! Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
UV shield might be a good idea to prevent sun damage in the future.

Sun damage and signs of aging from sun exposure will by no means appear immediately because one has been living for two months in an apartment with unprotected windows.

I have always been told that the sun damage that appear when you're an adult was caused in your childhood. That is also stated in this old article that I provide a link to.

Quote from the article:
Most people get 90 per cent of their sun exposure before they are 20 years old. But, the sun's effect may not show up for another 20 years, when they are 30 or 40.

http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/healthcast/1090/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
are you using copper peptides at all?

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

Quote from the article:
Most people get 90 per cent of their sun exposure before they are 20 years old. But, the sun's effect may not show up for another 20 years, when they are 30 or 40.

http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/healthcast/1090/

That's so scary! Then again, it makes some sort of sense. Example- what if you start using sunscreen religiously after age 20? In that case, it is true, you got most of your sun damage before age 20. So there's all kinds of ways in which that statement can be read.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
fang, when u said that window glass can block 90% ultraviolet radiation, I'm wondering if this is true or not. Cuz I always read that UVA rays can penetrate window glass and it's the most damaging too cuz it reflects better.

heathercolorado, do you know how much is it to install those UV protective shield to car or home? I wanna do that too when I moved into my new apt. So basically it's a clear shield and sunshine can still shine thru... only that the UV rays can't penetrate in?
cristaline
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Are you wearing sunscreen indoors? You really should. Even if I don't leave my dark condo, I always do. It's just part of my cleansing routine; for me, it's like brushing my teeth.
librarygirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 1:21 am      Reply with quote
heathercolorado wrote:

I laid down the law and demanded he get his windows tinted with UVA-filtering stuff ASAP or I'm moving out! He's addicted to my homemade tapioca pudding so he reluctantly agreed.

I'm assuming that you are nice enough to pay for these UVA films and not forcing your boyfriend to pay for these? Otherwise, he's going to think you are already nagging and being a pain in the you know what.

Large windows are beautiful in a home but in Colorado the sun's rays are quite powerful considering that you're much higher above sea level and the snow reflects those rays in a major way.

See if you can wear sunscreen daily, even on cloudy days, get curtains to block out those rays when your boyfriend is out, and cut out sweets from the diet. Sweets are just as bad to the skin as the sun. I think other posters are right that it takes more than 2 months to accumulate sun damage on the skin and the natural light can show more flaws in the skin.

I hope you can get your normal skin back asap after you remedy various things.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 4:45 am      Reply with quote
i think there may be something to the theory another poster mentioned above that you already had these beginning signs of aging just never noticed them well however because you new home seems to be very well lighted due to windows etc could be your noticing your skin damage better in your new house.

i for once can say for sure i look better and something i look like shit in certain lighting conditions and notice more skin problems then i would have otherwise.

also ur bf seems to be nice that his actually agreed to change things in the house to keep you happy Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
to seno and Septembergirl!

It sounds like a screenplay, but we were best platonic friends for ten years, through thick and thin. In January, he invited to me to an upscale party he needed a date for. I raced to his place with my hair still in rollers and asked him to please tighten my corset laces under my Christmas sweater while I fluffed my hair. The party was fabulous, and the bartender was talented. At the end of the evening, the valet brought the car, and without a word, at the same moment, we turned to each other and kissed. We went to his place, and we've never spent a night apart, despite his 80 hour workweeks.

He's still my best friend, and after all I've been through, I was resigned to a solitary life with my cat. Happiness turns up when you least expect it! The only catch is...you have to spread it to others, or Karma may rescind her gift!

Anyway, back to skin! According to the chart in the site linked above, plain window glass filters 29% of UVAs. That means 71% are coming right in and zapping our faces! Often we're not expecting skin damage in our own kitchens during our morning coffee, so it's all the more insidious Shock We all know to apply sunscreen before going outside, and there are many great threads here on EDS about sunscreens, but...in our own kitchens? Sneaky UVs!

I've often wondered about the statistics we see in ads for skin products: "44% of women showed an average of 89% improvement in just six weeks!" Who are these women? Did they have great skin to start with? Or awful skin? What products were they using before? Dial soap and Chapstick?
Maybe my sudden and visible skin aging was because (thanks to EDS!) I had gotten my skin as close to perfect as us 40+ gals can aspire to.
So, I had a long way to fall! And boy, I fell hard, and I fell fast!

Seriously, the hyperpigmentation showed up first. Then, I noticed that my upper eyelids weren't as perky. Next, the fine lines that started out threadlike suddenly deepened like rivers after a flash flood.

Northerngirl and librarygirl (coincidence?)
Lighten up! I was being facetious when I said I 'demanded' he install UV film. I'm a frail little thing, and he's a pretty big guy, so the thought of me demanding *anything* made me chuckle. Inside joke, I guess. Maybe it was the energy savings, or the tax credit that convinced him. Or maybe his own aging skin!
Men are vain, too Wink

My point--and I do have one--is that the window film guy is coming over this week, and i thought to myself, "What a great opportunity for before and after photos!" Gotta find the cord for my camera, and set up the skin repair program!
Avalange, my dear, I love CP and will be counting on them to fix me!

I should read the past threads from you knowledgeable and beautiful senior members and formulate my plan of attack...

Mostly DIY creams and affordable products since I'm not out on 24 hour jobs anymore making overtime.

Looking on the bright side, and can't wait til this house gets dark Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
heathercolorado, can u let me know the price of installing these UV films after those guys set it up for u? Thanks!! Smile
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
what a fun, enthused, and thorough response!
heather, i only ask about the cps because they caused immediate and seemingly irreversible damage to arise on my skin. Age spots, loss of elasticity, fine lines, etc. Unlike you, I wasn't suddenly subjected to sun filtering into windows, but using heavy duty sunblock daily, during the chicago winter. the cps were really the only change to my long term regimen, and they aged me terribly within a matter of months.
Please be careful! In retrospect, cps are not anti-aging but are more useful for repairing existing damage. At least that is what I gleaned after receiving more information about them from Dr. Pickart, who seemed absolutely flabbergasted that I'd ever use cps on my "too youthful" skin.

--avalange

heathercolorado wrote:
to seno and Septembergirl!

It sounds like a screenplay, but we were best platonic friends for ten years, through thick and thin. In January, he invited to me to an upscale party he needed a date for. I raced to his place with my hair still in rollers and asked him to please tighten my corset laces under my Christmas sweater while I fluffed my hair. The party was fabulous, and the bartender was talented. At the end of the evening, the valet brought the car, and without a word, at the same moment, we turned to each other and kissed. We went to his place, and we've never spent a night apart, despite his 80 hour workweeks.

He's still my best friend, and after all I've been through, I was resigned to a solitary life with my cat. Happiness turns up when you least expect it! The only catch is...you have to spread it to others, or Karma may rescind her gift!

Anyway, back to skin! According to the chart in the site linked above, plain window glass filters 29% of UVAs. That means 71% are coming right in and zapping our faces! Often we're not expecting skin damage in our own kitchens during our morning coffee, so it's all the more insidious Shock We all know to apply sunscreen before going outside, and there are many great threads here on EDS about sunscreens, but...in our own kitchens? Sneaky UVs!

I've often wondered about the statistics we see in ads for skin products: "44% of women showed an average of 89% improvement in just six weeks!" Who are these women? Did they have great skin to start with? Or awful skin? What products were they using before? Dial soap and Chapstick?
Maybe my sudden and visible skin aging was because (thanks to EDS!) I had gotten my skin as close to perfect as us 40+ gals can aspire to.
So, I had a long way to fall! And boy, I fell hard, and I fell fast!

Seriously, the hyperpigmentation showed up first. Then, I noticed that my upper eyelids weren't as perky. Next, the fine lines that started out threadlike suddenly deepened like rivers after a flash flood.

Northerngirl and librarygirl (coincidence?)
Lighten up! I was being facetious when I said I 'demanded' he install UV film. I'm a frail little thing, and he's a pretty big guy, so the thought of me demanding *anything* made me chuckle. Inside joke, I guess. Maybe it was the energy savings, or the tax credit that convinced him. Or maybe his own aging skin!
Men are vain, too Wink

My point--and I do have one--is that the window film guy is coming over this week, and i thought to myself, "What a great opportunity for before and after photos!" Gotta find the cord for my camera, and set up the skin repair program!
Avalange, my dear, I love CP and will be counting on them to fix me!

I should read the past threads from you knowledgeable and beautiful senior members and formulate my plan of attack...

Mostly DIY creams and affordable products since I'm not out on 24 hour jobs anymore making overtime.

Looking on the bright side, and can't wait til this house gets dark Very Happy

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 2:45 am      Reply with quote
Great post, heathercolorado.

Install those UV shields and let this man be the sunshine of your life.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 4:30 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
heathercolorado, can u let me know the price of installing these UV films after those guys set it up for u? Thanks!! Smile

yes, heather, would you please let us know the price?
and this UV filming - does it make windows dark or the windows remain as they are but do not let UVA anymore? please enlighten me Question

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 4:51 am      Reply with quote
As i know those UV filming will make windows darker
karianne
5% products discount

Mon May 12, 2008 7:36 am      Reply with quote
It sounds like you have a great relationship, but could you be experiencing added stress with moving in with him? I recently moved back in with my parents (along with my two children and husband). We sold our old house and are waiting for our new house to be built (3 more weeks). Anyway, we have been here for two months now and my skin and hair are a disaster. I can only attribute it to the added stress of moving. I know it is not from the sun because we moved from Texas to Minnesota!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I don't believe 2 months of indirect sun could have caused fine lines most likely the humidity level in the house as someone else suggested.

I can't believe shutting out a beautiful view for sunlight protection! It may not be food for the face but it is for the soul.
nakeidknits
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 8:47 am      Reply with quote
I know several people here in Colorado who keep a humidifier on constantly for their skin and sinuses, especially in the winter.
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I believe it's true about always wearing at least SOME sunscreen even if indoors all day. At my last checkup my Derm made it clear to do just that.

It's been hard to get into the habit, but I always try to do it.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |