Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tomatoes fight sun damage
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Eating tomatoes can give a significant improvement in sun protection, according to a new study from Universities of Newcastle and Manchester, England.

The study has been presented at the British Society For Investigative Dermatology last month.

The study included 20 test persons. The people in the group who had been eating five table spoons of tomato paste and olive oil every day over a period of 12 weeks were found to have 33 % more protection against sunburn than the control group. Both groups were exposed to UV light.

Tomatoes and tomato paste should be eaten with olive oil for best absorption in the body.

Here's a link to an article about the study. Go right to the bottom to find the article.

http://www.a2mediagroup.com/?c=167&a=22238

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 8:40 am      Reply with quote
This was in a television programme here in the UK quite recently. I think a few months ago. It was pretty interesting they had volunteers eat tomato paste everyday for a couple of months and then tested them and the results showed that their skin had a higher tolerance to the sun than before the experiment. Like an internal sunscreen......
The same programme also went into the benefits of eating spinach daily to stop the degeneration of eyesight in certain groups of people with eye damage.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 8:58 am      Reply with quote
I heard from one of my professors when I was an undergraduate that the red color of tomatoes peel is a very strong anti-oxidant, which is helpful in treating free radicals (the biggest killer in sundamage.).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Beta carotene, found in carrots, broccoli, algae supplements and green leaf vegetables, is also known to work as an internal sunscreen.

Both beta carotene and lycopene (which gives the tomato its red colour) belong to the group of carotenoids. Some have pointed out that lycopene perhaps is the strongest and most underrated carotenoid.

My bf, who is very fair-skinned and loves sun-bathing, has been taking a 9 mg supplement of beta carotene every day during summer and holidays in Greece. It has helped him significantly to avoid sunburn.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Sel wrote:
This was in a television programme here in the UK quite recently. I think a few months ago. It was pretty interesting they had volunteers eat tomato paste everyday for a couple of months and then tested them and the results showed that their skin had a higher tolerance to the sun than before the experiment. Like an internal sunscreen......
The same programme also went into the benefits of eating spinach daily to stop the degeneration of eyesight in certain groups of people with eye damage.

When I was a kid my afterschool snack consisted of homemade bread spread with homemade tomato paste and olive oil drizzled on top. This is a typical Greek snack, Had I know this before, I certainly would have kept it up!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Awesome! I love tomatoes! One of my favorite side dishes which I eat very regularly (I had it yesterday, as a matter of fact) is this salad made of cucumbers (I prefer peeling the cucumbers first), tomatoes, and some other random vegetables like onions and peppers. Salt and sunflower oil for the dressing. Delicious!

It really is very yummy. The juice from the fresh vegetables, especially tomatoes, mixes with the oil and salt and it's really good. I even dip bread into it.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

Both beta carotene and lycopene (which gives the tomato its red colour) belong to the group of carotenoids. Some have pointed out that lycopene perhaps is the strongest and most underrated carotenoid.

I'm wondering if topical application of lycopene would be any good (as in skincare products loaded with lycopene, such as the ones made by the Korean brand Skinfood).

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I can't say with 100% confidence that topical tomato paste won't confer any sun protection but I can tell you that the studies that have been done only tested the effects of tomato paste taken internally. It's sun protection "from within".

Honestly, I doubt it.

pumpingmummy wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:

I'm wondering if topical application of lycopene would be any good (as in skincare products loaded with lycopene, such as the ones made by the Korean brand Skinfood).
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I love tomatoes to but I can't stomach it everyday of the week. I certainly don't like eating them like I would eat an apple, so I'm thinking a tomato paste and olive oil dip would be just the thing for me.

Which brings me to my question: could someone please tell me how to make tomato paste!!!

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
When I was growing up we were told to cut a tomato in half and rub it on your sunburn, to help ease the pain!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 am      Reply with quote
actually eating a diet rich in a spectrum of bioflavonoids for six weeks has the ability to enhance skin's natural sun defenses quite effectively, although that is rather idealistic considering the big factors such quality of food and one's own existing health conditions/nutritional deficiencies.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 2:26 am      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:

I love tomatoes to but I can't stomach it everyday of the week. I certainly don't like eating them like I would eat an apple, so I'm thinking a tomato paste and olive oil dip would be just the thing for me.

Which brings me to my question: could someone please tell me how to make tomato paste!!!

Hi, Pumpingmummy.

Lycopene in topical skin care may be beneficial. In an article from Smartskincare.com, which has been published on this forum, lycopene is listed as possibly effective, but need more research.

The Eminence Organics carries Tomato Oil-Free Control Gel for oily to normal skin.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/eminence-tomato-oil-free-p_7073.htm

Regarding internal benefits, the lycopene in tomatoes is actually best absorbed by the body when you eat tomato paste, ketchup etc. That's why they used tomato paste in the study.

I love sun dried tomato pesto. I found a recipe that is very similar to one I have used myself. This pesto contains olive oil, that boosts the absorption of lycopene, garlic (high in sulphur and known to have lots of health benefits) and walnuts (rich in essential fatty acids). Sun dried tomato pesto is easily made and tastes delicious with bread or pasta. Bon appetit! Smile

http://www.indianchild.com/Recipes/dips_salads_recipe/sun_dried_tomato_pesto_recipe.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I just know tomatoes contain lot of vitamin C, but I dun think it can heal sun demage..
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I read an earlier study by Technion in Isreal on green tea consumption protecting from the sun. They took skin biopsies and measured infammation markers so I believe the results. Maybe there is something in cooked tomatoes that acts similarly (possibly lycopene).
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
I love love love sun dried tomatoes but they are expensive where I am. The pesto recipe sounds delish will definitely give it a try. Drool Thanks Septembergirl.

And sharky I am glad I don't have to eat raw tomatoes!

londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
they showed this on oprah winfrey with that dr guy she always has on

i dont understand why people find it so hard to uderstand that certain foods have alot of beneficial uses besides filling up our tummy
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
I don't doubt that eating tomatoes has benefits, my "I doubt it" was to the question of whether topical tomato paste will give the same benefits.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I don't doubt that eating tomatoes has benefits, my "I doubt it" was to the question of whether topical tomato paste will give the same benefits.

Lycopene is an anti-oxidant as Vit C, so better treat lycopene as VitC.

Lycopene is red doesn't mean it absorbs UV.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I find it so interesting that people have decided it's the sun that creates all the problems when in fact it's more likely the crummy stuff that passes for food in this part of the world.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:03 am      Reply with quote
No research on whether there are any UV protective effects from topical lycopene. However it does act as an antioxidant topically.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:18 am      Reply with quote
Yup, me too!

Juliemarie wrote:
When I was growing up we were told to cut a tomato in half and rub it on your sunburn, to help ease the pain!

I am so going to spend more time in the kitchen now (have not cooked much since moving...)

A delicious way to enjoy tomatoes is this sauce recipe - for pasta, over chicken or steak, or even just with veg.

TOMATO SAUCE
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 can diced tomatoes (or enough fresh tomatoes
pureed in the food processor for equivalent amount)

- put onion and olive oil in frypan and sautee for approx. 10min till onion is soft (don't let it color)
- add tomato on top and simmer on low heat till thickened (up to 30min)

It is just a DEVINE sauce.

OR...

CANDIED TOMATOES
cut tomatoes in half, place on baking tray (helps to slice a small amount off the bottom too so they sit level), drizzle 1/2 tab olive oil on each tomato half and sprinkle with freshly crushed rock/sea salt and bake in a low oven for one hour.

You can do the same but adding balsamic vinegar for a DELICIOUS tomato snack to enjoy warm or cold - great with cheese! Just add 1/2 tab balsamic to each tomato half and every 20min add another 1/2 tab to each half. YUMMY!!

I would imagine the above would even work well with cherry tomatoes...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:44 am      Reply with quote
well I've got some eminence tomato samples coming, I'll let you know if I burn or have any redness when I sit in the sun, if we have any that is.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |