Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Natural Looking Summer Makeup for Non Perfect Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I'd love it if we could share our makeup tips for how to look natural and fresh in the Summer.

If you're blessed with perfect skin (I hate you,ha,ha)What I'd like to read is who manages to look grease free AND natural when the heat is on.

Take today for example, applied my Anthelios Dermo Pediatrics (SPF 50)abecause it's hot here in the UK today, then applied Dior Forever and a little Secret Camouflage to broken veins around nose and to dark circles, then powdered (I have to powder because I have a very oily t-zone that is exacerbated by the suncream)

Result? Looked good in an artificially lit bathroom but in natural sunlight it looked, well...pale, ashen and a little heavy. The LM Secret Powder applied only over the orbital area look TOO highlighted and white (and yet I'm using the no.2)

Is it to do with going easier under the eyes? Is there a great long lasting, oil free tinted moisturiser out there that I haven't discovered yet. Didn't get on with LM tinted or Clarins Color Veil.
Would love to read to read your tips and opinions.
Camelia
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
P.S: To anyone NOT hung up on using sunblock like me, I think that a light misting of water really helps makeup look glowy. I do this in the evening.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 11:09 am      Reply with quote
I can't be alone in wanting to look natural, glowy but not greasy in the sunshine. Perhaps it really is difficult and nobody knows the answer. Crying or Very sad

What about wearing a fake tan underneath to reduce the amount of cosmetics needed? That does help but my skin needs a little more coverage than just that. Any ideas?? Anyone?
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I am sure you are NOT alone, many of us probably just don't have the answer for you. I struggle with the same thing, but I would say "everyday" hot or cold. I don't have horrible skin, but I do have imperfections and I like to conceal them. The stages of my blemishes healing can be different stages of red or brown spots. I don't like heavy makeups, so I try just to conceal my spots and do a light dusting of Mineral powder to blend with the concealer. Of course it looks great in my bathroom when I leave, but as soon as I drop the mirror in my car, AWFUL Sad the natural light makes my make up look unblended. So I fix it for the natural light and then I come indoors to my office, and again, looks to light and my spots show. I wish I had the answer, but the fact remains, when it is hot (or not) I am oily midday. My face is shiny, greasy and it does not matter what Mineral makeup I use, it slides right off my face. I do use a spritz spray to spray my face during the day, so it absorbs the oil, but I do not have to reapply my makeup. I use True mineral spray right now, BUTTTT, I was reading on Makeup alley board that many many people love Aquafina Advanced Hydration Hydrating Facial Spray. I am going to run out and see if I can find it and try that. So long answer is, try wearing less makeup, just spot treat and spray your face throughout the day.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. The whole concept of 'light' it very complex isn't it. One light you can look great and another can make you look brash, oily or tired compared with a different one.

Unfortunately I can't wear mineral makeup as it just looks very metalic on me, no matter what brand I try.
I would and do spritz in the evening but I can't in the day or it will erode the sun protection under the makeup.

If SKII airbrush came in a darker shade that might be the answer to my problem but the only shades available in the UK are too light for the summer, I'll have to start holidaying in the Far East and stock up on all that SKII, Shu and Sheisido. Mmmm, yummy.

Has anyone tried the Becca tinted moisturiser? I fear this might be too oily for me, anyone know or have any other ideas. Do others just brave it and go make up free in the summer?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia, I wish I have the answer to your question too. For me, I'm currently using everyday MMU and I ordered some samples of Lauress to try. The Everyday MMU doesn't seem to last too well on me especially for my oily nose especially in hot weather. So I applied pearl powder underneath it and it seems to help somewhat. You said MMU looked metallic on you, I'm wondering which brand did you try? Everyday or Alima doesn't seem to look too shiny or metallic like. It provides a matte finish.

My biggest concern is finding something light & natural to cover my dark circles. I tried so many but it's hard to find one that lasts all day and doesn't crease or drying.

How about you try a tinted moisturizer and apply concealer on areas as needed? Then a light dusting of finishing powder over it? I heard that Physician's Formula Organic TM is nice but I never tried it myself. I tried Vichy Lumineuse Matte TM and it does give some coverage but it's kinda dark on me so I didn't use it.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
It's a difficult question! For me, I try to minimize the make up and I'm looking for a sunscreen that's elegant enough while still being purely physical and good for the skin.

Actually, I do have a suggestion: you can mix your own tinted moisturizer with spf. The Dermalogica ultra sensitive face block spf 25 is a tinted all titanium dioxide sunscreen and it's really good for mixing. The color is like NW20.
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
I wear sunscreen everyday (La Roche Posay Hydraphrase UV 30). I love MMU and use a little MMU on spots and around nose to conceal. It does take a while to find the right shade and formula.

You said you looked "metallic". Was this a brand with Bismuth O. such as BE? I am quite oily and there is a lot of matte forumlas out there.

If you want to read about mineral makeup; I suggest this forum

http://forums.delphiforums.com/mineralmania/start

I spray with mineral water after applying MMU and finishing powder. My current favorite finishing powder is Date Bait from Silk Naturals. It gives a sort of airbrush look; not dry looking. I have to blot no matter what I use.

BTW, my MU always always look better at home than in the washroom lighting at work.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your replies Stardustdy & Nimue.

Using a tinted moisturiser rather than a foundation is exactly what I want to do but it's just finding the right one.

Most mineral makeup does look metallic on me.I was so disappointed with the Laura Mercier one. Alima is probably the best one on the market. It doesn't give that tinman look however I just can't find the right shade. Some of them are bizarre bright yellows! If I did some mixing I could probably mix up the right shade but it would involve many pots and my bathroom would begin to look like a laboratory!

Nimue, I will have a go at mixing foundation with sunblock. It needs to be Anthelios for its high UVA and PPD protection because all the Retin and glycolic acids have made my skin very sensitive to the sun, even indoors, eek. My skin coloring is MMM to GGG.
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I really don't have any tips for hot weather but I did want to mention self tanner.

Self tanner is wonderful for those pale girls and really gives legs some nice colour. I like it as it helps hide those little spider viens and "dimples".

I like a touch of bronzer on my face; one of my MMU ones. Have you considered using a little self tanner at night on your face to add a little colour? If I have a little colour on my face, I can use less MU during the day...just a thought.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Autumn95

Thanks for your suggestions. I wondered whether I should wear some self tanner in one of the above posts. Sometimes it feels like I just don't have enough face for all the products I apply at night. To apply tanner means forgoing some glycolic acid and more blackheads in the morning but yes, I'll definately try and put that into my routine. By doing that I go much lighter around the outer orbital area and the perimeters of my face where there isn't any pigmentation.

Thank you very much for your forum link, I'll check that out too.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia,

For a light,non-makeup look I use MD Skincare's tinted moisturizer in light. The SPF is only 15, so you may want to try a sunscreen underneath. After which I apply alittle concealor, a light dusting of translucent powder, alittle powder bronzer, subtle highlighting around the temple area and cheek bones and some blush and whalaaaa you have a natural looking application. Yes my midday the application is alittle worn, but a touch up of concealor and powder and I'm doing ok. Smile

HTH's

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your recommendation.

"Yes my midday the application is alittle worn"

Isn't that just it. Tinted moisturisers have no staying power. It drives me crazy. I'd love something along the lines of MAC Face & Body foundation with less oil, don't know what they put in it but boy does that last.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Oil-free summer skin is a challenge for me also. Here are some make-up tips that I have used that help:

Start with a freshly cleansed face. After moisturizer and/or sunscreen apply pearl paste to your T-zone areas. In my opinion pearl paste works much better at reducing oiliness than mattifying gels or primers.

Use a oil-free foundation liquid or powder formula that contains silica. Silica helps control oil and reduce shine.

Be sure to stick with powder based blush and eye shadows - creamy versions will melt down your face by mid-day.

Carry a good quality supply of blotting papers for quick touch-ups throughout the day.

To look as if you are not wearing makeup, dip a flat 3 inch square piece of cotton wool in chilled water and squeeze well between the palms of your hand. Very lightly pat your face with it. The cold compression gives a natural look to the face and your make up stays longer without getting spoiled. Do this step before you apply eye and lip make-up and after you have applied foundation, powder and blush. This step will set the foundation, powder and blusher.

The secret of perfect makeup is not to over do it. It should be subtle, natural and suit your lifestyle.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
I'd love it if we could share our makeup tips for how to look natural and fresh in the Summer.

If you're blessed with perfect skin (I hate you,ha,ha)What I'd like to read is who manages to look grease free AND natural when the heat is on.

Take today for example, applied my Anthelios Dermo Pediatrics (SPF 50)abecause it's hot here in the UK today, then applied Dior Forever and a little Secret Camouflage to broken veins around nose and to dark circles, then powdered (I have to powder because I have a very oily t-zone that is exacerbated by the suncream)

Result? Looked good in an artificially lit bathroom but in natural sunlight it looked, well...pale, ashen and a little heavy. The LM Secret Powder applied only over the orbital area look TOO highlighted and white (and yet I'm using the no.2)

Is it to do with going easier under the eyes? Is there a great long lasting, oil free tinted moisturiser out there that I haven't discovered yet. Didn't get on with LM tinted or Clarins Color Veil.
Would love to read to read your tips and opinions.
Camelia

What about changing your SPF? MAC Prep&Prime SPF 50 is a make-up primer that adds a blurring effect to the skin, for softening. It also absorbs excess oil with silica to keep skin looking fresh, it's also very water resistant. I don't know how you feel about changing your SPF, but this could be an option. Though, alot of people on this site aren't big fans of MAC Product :P

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
fairlady wrote:
Oil-free summer skin is a challenge for me also. Here are some make-up tips that I have used that help:

Start with a freshly cleansed face. After moisturizer and/or sunscreen apply pearl paste to your T-zone areas. In my opinion pearl paste works much better at reducing oiliness than mattifying gels or primers.

Use a oil-free foundation liquid or powder formula that contains silica. Silica helps control oil and reduce shine.

Be sure to stick with powder based blush and eye shadows - creamy versions will melt down your face by mid-day.

Carry a good quality supply of blotting papers for quick touch-ups throughout the day.

To look as if you are not wearing makeup, dip a flat 3 inch square piece of cotton wool in chilled water and squeeze well between the palms of your hand. Very lightly pat your face with it. The cold compression gives a natural look to the face and your make up stays longer without getting spoiled. Do this step before you apply eye and lip make-up and after you have applied foundation, powder and blush. This step will set the foundation, powder and blusher.

The secret of perfect makeup is not to over do it. It should be subtle, natural and suit your lifestyle.

What is pearl paste And where do you get it?

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Nemo!AtTheDisco -

I sent you a PM with the information.

Fairlady

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
fairlady wrote:

Fairlady, this is interesting about the silica--- I didn't know it controlled oil. Recently I've been setting my MMU with Zenbiotic's Oxypro moisture spray, and silica is one of the main ingredients. I couldn't figure out what was keeping the oil away all day but now I think the Oxypro must be helping!

5% products discount

Tue May 13, 2008 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
One thing that really makes my mu look great is Sofina sunscreens. It works as a mu primer and mattifier, not to mention the sun protection! It reduces the appearance of pores and keeps my face shine free. My mu always looks better with this sunscreen underneath.
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
Thank you for your recommendation.

"Yes my midday the application is alittle worn"

Isn't that just it. Tinted moisturisers have no staying power. It drives me crazy. I'd love something along the lines of MAC Face & Body foundation with less oil, don't know what they put in it but boy does that last.

MAC Face & Body is water based, but dries down water proof. If you found it looked oily, I'd blot it with some MMU or MAC Blot Powder [I like the loose better] If you found it felt to heavy or greasy, they sell both a MAC Pro Water-based mixing medium for Diluting the texture or you could also mix it with a mattifier or oil-free lotion that's very light.

I do it all the time in the summer, because It gets so unbearably humid here.

Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your replies and recommendations.

I keep meaning to buy the Pearl Paste.

Nemo!AtTheDisco, very interesting information about MAC, I really like a lot of their stuff. I've got the Prep & Prime, definately prolongs the life of makeup. I didn't know that there was a mixing product for the Face & Body though! Brilliant. I love F&B, it's often a life saver for me. Only yesterday, my fake tan was looking a little worn on my arms so I applied the C5 shade and it looked so natural. It's the only makeup you can apply to the rest of your body that doesn't look ashen and most importantly doesn't come off on clothing. Only thing is I can't see that mixer on the UK MAC site, perhaps the Covent Garden shop would have it? or is it only available to makeup artists?

Thanks again for all your recomendations everyone. Must look into the Sofina too,. Kissmark do you know how how the UVA protection for it is? Is there a PPD is stated and is it photostable? I'm really tempted by it.
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
Thank you very much for your replies and recommendations.

I keep meaning to buy the Pearl Paste.

Nemo!AtTheDisco, very interesting information about MAC, I really like a lot of their stuff. I've got the Prep & Prime, definately prolongs the life of makeup. I didn't know that there was a mixing product for the Face & Body though! Brilliant. I love F&B, it's often a life saver for me. Only yesterday, my fake tan was looking a little worn on my arms so I applied the C5 shade and it looked so natural. It's the only makeup you can apply to the rest of your body that doesn't look ashen and most importantly doesn't come off on clothing. Only thing is I can't see that mixer on the UK MAC site, perhaps the Covent Garden shop would have it? or is it only available to makeup artists?

When I get into work tomorrow, I'll figure out how you would go about getting the mixing mediums. I know they sell it on the MAC PRO site, but only Make-up Artists can access that.

We have a hotline number for phone orders, I'll get it for you, along with the specific product name so you could get it on eBay if need be.

HTH!

seabliss
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
You could try Bioderma Photomax 50+ sunscreens. I mix the milk/lait/light with the tinted cream to make a really nice tinted moisturizer, and the good thing is the protection is even better than the Anthelios DermoPeds.

You will need powder or primer probably to matte it. The milk/lait/light is pretty matte, but the tinted cream is more like a moisturizer. I think loose powder is better than pressed for a less "done" look.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Ooh, thank you so much, that's very kind of you, that would be great!
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
seabliss, I like the Bioderma. Could you explain how the protection is better than the Anthelios please. I couldn't see a PPD rating when I looked for it. Absolutely agree with you about loose powder being more natural than pressed. I have tried so many and LM & Shu are some of the best in my opinion. Was disappointed by La Mer, almost too silky and glittery.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |