Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Powder/Brush on sunblock/sunscreen *****
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 3:00 am      Reply with quote
I am only aware of the powder based mineral SPF by Peter Thomas Roth
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/peter-thomas-roth-instant-p_7389.htm

....for which i have read some reviews here on the forum....seems to be quite good except for its bad packaging and so leading to wastage of the product alot.

I am wondering if there are any powder based SS on the market that you users have used. Please advise the pros and cons based on your experiences.

M considering to try out powder based physical sunblocks. Seems to be good and i think it will help minimize that problem of white cast left from cream based SS.

Any ideas? And do you also apply them before and or after your makeup? How does it look?

thanks for any feedback

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 am      Reply with quote
You apply after makeup, and one of the great things is that you can touch up sunscreen protection later in the day without disturbing makeup (can't do that with liquid sunscreens).

Some of the powder sunscreens do leave a whitish cast (e.g., Colorscience).

Many MMU have sunscreen, and I like them better than a product that is just a powder sunscreen. My favorite is JI PurePressed Base.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Jeannine, all the MMU has a min. of SPF 15 but they most likely won't go as high as SPF 30 I assume?

simran, Everyday MMU has a finishing loose powder that has a SPF 30 but this was removed afterwards cuz it's not FDA approved.

I guess in order for those powder sunscreen to offer adequate protection, u need to apply a lot and that might be cakey & powdery.
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29094
I just posted this "rave" for Jane Iredale PowderMe-SPF. Like it even better than the PTR one!
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Margot wrote:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29094
I just posted this "rave" for Jane Iredale PowderMe-SPF. Like it even better than the PTR one!

I wish EDS would start carrying this! Sad
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
...Please advise the pros and cons based on your experiences.
Any ideas? And do you also apply them before and or after your makeup? How does it look?...

In answer to your question, simran, I don't use the powder spfs in place of one in lotion or cream form. I think it would take too much powder to get the protection you need. I use it as a finishing and touch up powder, since I can't imagine the thought of reapplying cream sunblock to my face every couple hours!
The nice thing about the JI one, is that it's an exquisite texture and is truly translucent. The fact that it's a sunscreen is a bonus as far as I'm concerned!
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi Margot,

which one did you get? The translucent or the tanned one?

I have no idea how to pick colors as i dont use makeup Confused

how much darker your skin have to be to go for the tanned color ?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
Hi Margot,

which one did you get? The translucent or the tanned one?

I have no idea how to pick colors as i dont use makeup Confused

how much darker your skin have to be to go for the tanned color ?

simran, I got the translucent, since "tanned" often looks muddy on my skin (light olive). I imagine you'd have to be a definite medium tone or deeper for the tan. It's light in texture, so probably most could do the translucent.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
i was pretty sure sheseido had a powder based SS as well i think i read about it somewhere in the forum here, anyway i went to check if it was available here NZ at smith and coughey however u spell it lol and the sales rep said No although she was a useless one at that she dint even know anything about physical or chemical based SS anyway she tried to sell me a foundation and i was like No im just looking for a sunblock in powder form and she said sheseido does not have it Mad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
The sales person didn't know what she was talking about because Shiseido does make a powder sunscreen. It's sold with their sun protection series and has an SPF of 32 (I think). I found didn't like the texture that much, although I like that it's pressed; the only thing I don't like about the JI one, because I'm famous for spilling powder all over the place. Crying or Very sad
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Margot i been looking to buy the JI one, but i dont think its available here in NZ at the moment cause it is a new product...the few salons/stockists i have called told me it is not yet released here. I looked round couple of websites think they are US mostly and the shipping is sooo high lol.....I have also looked on ebay it is cheaper there lol so i may end up buying from ebay the transulucent one my only problem is i am scared it wont suit my skin......but you said it should work on many skins...........i mean i can get away with putting on baby powder after using sunblock so maybe i can also get away with putting the Powder-ME translucent color. The thing is my skin is tanned. But i dont want to buy the tanned formula if its gonna give me a brownish muddy looking making it look like i got foundation on you know what i mean .... so m kinda confused which one to get. if it was sold here in NZ i could have gone to a salon n tried a tester first Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I'm sticking my neck out a bit here, but I'm pretty sure the translucent would work on you. I heard on another thread that the PA++ is low on this product, but like I mentioned, I use it as a finishing powder, not like powder foundation, and in addition to my usual sunscreen. It's just the light as air texture and satiny finish that I find irrisistible! Very Happy
So I would think if you used it like that, it would be fine on tanned skin!
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Peter Thomas Roth is great but its not cheap. I liked id bare mineral, it gave me great coverage and its cheap.
sleepylily
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Jane Iredale Powder~~~
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
ok so like i bought 2 jane iredale powder me SPF in the translucent. I currently wear this when i am home and out and about. Dont use any other sunblock at all. I will later buy an additional physical sunblock for extra protection to wear under this.

Anyway so far the translucent seems to go on well on my tanned skin. It doesnt make it look cakey. The only problem i have is i think my skin seems to feel dry throughout the day while i have this on. When i sleep at night and put on my moisturizer and wake up in mornings (the time i dont have JI me SPF on) i feel my skin feels just right not dry nor oiley. Also i realise after shower in the morning when i put on my moisturizer...my skin feeels just right as well. I usually put on the JI powder me SPF an hour later in the morning. And i notice my skin starts feeling a little on the dry side and this persists throughout the day.

My question is what is in the product that is kind of taking the moisture out of my skin? Is it the iron oxides or the other minerals? Seriously now im thinking of getting a rich moisturizer to wear thorughout the day while i have this on. by the way when i use my current moisturiser with a chemicall SS and no JI at all my skin feels fine not dry not oiley. Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:09 am      Reply with quote
simran, I don't think this product dries out the skin, but it probably absorbs some of the oil you'd ordinarily notice on the surface of your skin. My skin is dry, so I use a day lotion with spf 15 -25 in addition to the powder spf. Might take a little experimenting on your part to get the balance right! Another thing you can do if the powder feels dry, is mist your face with evian or some other mineral water periodically. This "sets" the powder and makes it look less powdery (and feels awesome in the summer!).
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |