Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Report: What has the DERMAROLLER done for you.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, Bethany, I bought "Portable Diamond Dermabrasion NV-60 Unit". According to the manual, it can be used for face peeling every 6-10 days. My guess is it's not going to be super strong. It only cost $189 so.....
I would LOVE to try it out today!
BTW, I rolled under my eyebrows lightly when I rolled a week ago.

I would personally not do it for at least 2 weeks after you roll...you want your skin to be using all of its resources to generate new collagen, as opposed to splitting those same resources across collagen development AND dealing with skin barrier removal and repair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Yowee!!...I just rolled for the first time with my 2mm. When I held the 1.5 mm and 2mm rollers side by side, there was a profound, noticable difference in needle length. But not much difference at all when I put the 1mm and 1.5mm next to each other. I don't get that since they are both .5mm apart. Anyway...I didn't apply quite as much pressure as I normally do, but I did get more blood spots. It wasn't much more painful than the 1.5mm and I don't use any numbing cream. I have no idea what I will look like in the morning... Shock

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Mountaingirl...no numbing cream for a 2.0mm? Shock You are a tough cookie!!

BTW, did you happen to change brands of rollers, or were your 1.5mm and the 2.0mm made by the same company?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, I don't know what brands I have. My 1.5mm is yellow and has the letters MH on it. It comes in a large plastic cylinder that you "unscrew" to get out. The 2mm says "CIS Mesoroller - Clinic Roller " on the cylinder pkging. Yeah...no numbing agent. I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to vanity!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Bethany, I don't know what brands I have. My 1.5mm is yellow and has the letters MH on it. It comes in a large plastic cylinder that you "unscrew" to get out. The 2mm says "CIS Mesoroller - Clinic Roller " on the cylinder pkging. Yeah...no numbing agent. I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to vanity!

Your 1.5mm sounds like a Dr. Roller, and 2.0mm is definitely not.

I know that the needle patterns (and length) are different, but would you mind looking at the thickness of the needles? I am guessing that the Dr. Roller has thicker needles closer to the base of the roller.

BTW, the plastic cylinder is actually for roller disposal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:

Your 1.5mm sounds like a Dr. Roller, and 2.0mm is definitely not.

I know that the needle patterns (and length) are different, but would you mind looking at the thickness of the needles? I am guessing that the Dr. Roller has thicker needles closer to the base of the roller.

BTW, the plastic cylinder is actually for used roller disposal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:43 am      Reply with quote
yup...I believe you are correct. The needles on the 1.5mm are thicker at the base, than the 2mm, (albeit significantly shorter in general.) Does that "thicker base" mean something. Do you think the Dr Roller's are better?? It is now the next morning after rolling with the 2mm, and my face has the slight sunburn effect it usually does, but no more than when I use the 1.5mm.

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:36 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
yup...I believe you are correct. The needles on the 1.5mm are thicker at the base, than the 2mm, (albeit significantly shorter in general.) Does that "thicker base" mean something. Do you think the Dr Roller's are better?? It is now the next morning after rolling with the 2mm, and my face has the slight sunburn effect it usually does, but no more than when I use the 1.5mm.

I do think the Dr. Rollers are better due to the slightly thicker needles and the cross-linked needle pattern. People that have used a regular 1.5mm roller and switched to a 1.5mm Dr. Roller have said that they do feel more pain...I think that is due to the deeper penetration and thicker needle gauge.

The needle pattern pulls the skin a bit more taut, which means that you get deeper penetration with the same amount of rolling effort, and the needle comes out more cleanly.

The slightly thicker needle creates a slightly bigger wound, which is probably helpful in creating that wound healing cascade....I have read that thicker needles are better than ultra thin, but there is a limit to how thick you can go, or it will leave a visible hole scar.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
that makes sense Bethany. The 2mm I used has very thin, LOOOOOONG needles. I will probably invest in a Dr Roller since I think I would like to do some more rolls with a 2mm. No weird after effects, except for a little scratch on my chin. I was wondering if you or anyone else avoids makeup and sunscreen the day after a roll?

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
that makes sense Bethany. The 2mm I used has very thin, LOOOOOONG needles. I will probably invest in a Dr Roller since I think I would like to do some more rolls with a 2mm. No weird after effects, except for a little scratch on my chin. I was wondering if you or anyone else avoids makeup and sunscreen the day after a roll?

I avoid everything for about a week after I roll...everything seems to absorb more after a rolls since my skin is so dry, and I don't want to add any more chemicals than necessary.

The only exception is oils...I pretty much try to stay well lubricated around the clock, and they also make me look less peely. Confused

5% products discount

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany: Do you dust with a MMU the next day after you roll?

I purchased a 1.5 Dr. Roller, however I am doing a lot of reading before I use it. I am currently using the 302 skincare products. The issues I am hoping to address are scarring, cellulite and stretch marks. I also have pigmentation on my hands that I want to correct.

I have a skin spatula and a ProLight Platinum on the way.

TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
gpence wrote:
Bethany: Do you dust with a MMU the next day after you roll?

I purchased a 1.5 Dr. Roller, however I am doing a lot of reading before I use it. I am currently using the 302 skincare products. The issues I am hoping to address are scarring, cellulite and stretch marks. I also have pigmentation on my hands that I want to correct.

I have a skin spatula and a ProLight Platinum on the way.

TIA

Gpence, my skin is SOOO irritated for 2-3 days after a roll that I don't use anything on it except 302 products and later emu and tamanu oils. I think I added my regular skin products back in on Day 4 this time. But no MMU...it would just highlight the peeling! Shock But I work at home, so I do have that freedom of not wearing makeup.

My advice is to do your first roll when you can hide for 2 days, and not use any products after your first roll (except maybe weaker copper peptides). Based on how your skin responds, you can adjust your routine next time. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I used it for 2 month and found that the ability of the skincare is more powerful, My skin can get the better result than before with the same skincare. I will still use it and waiting for the imagic look on my face
clinty
5% products discount

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hello. Sorry, but what is a dermaroller. Does it cure melasma?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
clinty wrote:
Hello. Sorry, but what is a dermaroller. Does it cure melasma?

Clinty, the dermaroller can help with Melasma (VERY slowly), but I think you would get better results faster with Obagi Nu-Derm.

Dermarolling is basically rolling your face with a device containing about 200 needles, and it is best for collagen generation. However, there can be a reduction of pigmentation in the process. I have been rolling (and bleeding and whining) since May and I have seen some pigmentation reduction on my hands, but VERY little on my face.

Here are links to articles about dermarolling...it is more involved than just turning yourself into a pin cushion, so please read about the topical protocols before jumping in and buying a roller.

Articles:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29860&highlight=cit

Dermarolling support thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22460

Discounted dermarollers for EDS members:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29392

5% products discount

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
OK so Im new to this site, but Im learning allot so far.. I have read allot about the derma rolling.. I think I am going to go ahead & order a .5 as I am only 32, but has some minor hyper pigmentation & lines under & around my eyes, & a slight sign of a few on my forehead now Sad ( Im wondering does this also work on cellulite when used with cellulite creams? )

My question is, what should I use right after rolling? I hear the use of Vitamin C & A.. & some people use Emu Oils... So, which is the best to use to make the procedure more beneficial long & short term. And should I avoid using certain products after this, & how long..

Im so sorry for all the questions.. Thanks in advance. I am addicted to this forum, my husband thinks Im a nut LOL

Also
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Buckeye,

From what I understand from reading the threads - a 0.5mm won't really help with hyperpigmentation and fine lines. It will help in getting more product into your skin though - so that may be enough.

I've got a 1.5mm roller on order from Jack (Dr. Roller seller) which I'm hoping will help my issues (melasma and fine lines). I'm definitely going to use a numbing cream (also on order) as I don't think I'm nearly as tough as some of these ladies. (I get all wimpy with my 0.5mm!)

I don't think you would want to use a Vitamin C product right after you roll - as it would probably sting like the dickens!!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
*****BUMP*****

Anybody want to offer input on the original thread question;

What has the DERMAROLLER done for you?

Many thanks!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

Yes, and there needs to be input including both the good and the bad. Too often I think we only feel our glowing reports are all that have value. My experience with Dermaroller has not been good.

I was surprised at how painful it is. I tried all the suggestions, cream to anesthetize the area, even wine (though my limit is 1 glass, not the whole bottle as one member says she drinks Embarassed ) I managed to do it a few times, ended up with rash-like scabs, so I figured I had done some good, but this turned into eczema, which I've never had in my entire life and had to go to my dermatologist for cream. I didn't tell him about dermaroller. He probably would have fussed at me. The cream got it under control, but now it recurs, a lot, and I don't like keeping medication on my skin, all over my chest, shoulders and back of my neck. No it wasn't a coincidence that all this occurred. I watched the bloody pin pricks, then redness on my skin turn into the rash patches and evolve into the bumps and itchy redness. My dermatologist did say that eczema occurs when some foreign substance finds its way under the skin. Now it seems I'll never be rid of this foreign substance.

This is the only thing I've bought because of recommendations from EDS forum that I regret. I won't be doing it again, and I wish I never had.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
The Dermaroller did nothing for my scars. I rolled some raised scars on my legs six times with a 1.5 mm Dermaroller last summer. Now, six months later I cannot see any improvement.

Just like catballou, I was also surprised by the pain involved in this treatment.

My honest opinion is that one should leave "heavy" dermarolling with long needles to the professionals. It might be unsafe to experiment with numbing cream, long needles and bleeding at home.

If I am going to try dermarolling again in the future, I would use the Leaf & Rusher roller with short needles for increased product penetration, not the long needles that are supposed to promote collagen synthesis.

Also, there are no independent studies suggesting that dernarolling is helpful for breaking down scar tissue and increasing collagen growth. Almost all research in this area is conducted by a few doctors who offer Dermaroller products and treatments themselves. I would like to see some research that is completely unbiased.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
catballou wrote:
Quote:

Yes, and there needs to be input including both the good and the bad. Too often I think we only feel our glowing reports are all that have value. My experience with Dermaroller has not been good.

I was surprised at how painful it is. I tried all the suggestions, cream to anesthetize the area, even wine (though my limit is 1 glass, not the whole bottle as one member says she drinks Embarassed ) I managed to do it a few times, ended up with rash-like scabs, so I figured I had done some good, but this turned into eczema, which I've never had in my entire life and had to go to my dermatologist for cream. I didn't tell him about dermaroller. He probably would have fussed at me. The cream got it under control, but now it recurs, a lot, and I don't like keeping medication on my skin, all over my chest, shoulders and back of my neck. No it wasn't a coincidence that all this occurred. I watched the bloody pin pricks, then redness on my skin turn into the rash patches and evolve into the bumps and itchy redness. My dermatologist did say that eczema occurs when some foreign substance finds its way under the skin. Now it seems I'll never be rid of this foreign substance.

This is the only thing I've bought because of recommendations from EDS forum that I regret. I won't be doing it again, and I wish I never had.

oh, catballou

this is awful--it's important to hear the good and the bad on this forum. I would be so *(*%& pissed!(and i just rolled so now i'm thinking Shock ) We take huge amounts of time to inform ourselves, and in the end it's still a crap shoot...

a few suggestions - flax seed oil, or some kind of essential fatty acid oil - this is supposed to be super for eczema. You also may want to check out the Skin Biology website and see what Dr. Picard has to say about eczema (cp's seem to be some kind of cure all). Lastly, you might look into a good juicing book (from the library) and see what they recommend - you may be able to "whoop" this thing --
please keep us posted on your progress
WELL WISHES
m
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
oh, catballou

this is awful--it's important to hear the good and the bad on this forum. I would be so *(*%& pissed!(and i just rolled so now i'm thinking Shock ) We take huge amounts of time to inform ourselves, and in the end it's still a crap shoot...

a few suggestions - flax seed oil, or some kind of essential fatty acid oil - this is supposed to be super for eczema. You also may want to check out the Skin Biology website and see what Dr. Picard has to say about eczema (cp's seem to be some kind of cure all). Lastly, you might look into a good juicing book (from the library) and see what they recommend - you may be able to "whoop" this thing --
please keep us posted on your progress
WELL WISHES
m

Thanks, very much, moongoddess. Yes, I'm one who studies and researches to the nth degree before going into something like this, but as you say, it's still a crap shoot because each of us is so different.

I'll check out what Dr. Picard says. I go there to read occasionally, haven't ever posted. Are you thinking flax seed oil topically or orally? I've got both caps and liquid, but I hadn't thought of them for the eczema. This whole episode has left me sort of bumfuzzled. (technical term)

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps this is user error, but I tried using the 1.5mm derma roller on my stomach to get rid of stretch marks. No improvement. I used it about 3 times and gavce up. Did I discontinue too soon? Does it get worse before it gets better?
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:51 am      Reply with quote
hi catballau

your post really got to me, i had an awful sleep 'cause i kept waking up thinking my face was getting infected...ughhh...so far so good, though.
The flax is to be taken orally - (i got some good info on eczema a couple of years ago because my son had it on his elbow crooks -- it's healed now, so i don't remember alot of the recommendations - i'll post (or pm you as it comes back to me))
I really think you're gonna be able to heal it --keep us posted (you may be paving the way for other people)
M
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Moongoddess, I first developed this eczema in warm weather, but I'm hoping that winter dry heat is contributing to it's recurring. No basis for that, but I'm hoping that when spring and summer roll around, I'll have better luck in treating it once and for all. There's an old song that says you don't know what you've got until you lose it. Well, I don't guess I really appreciate the healthy smooth skin on my shoulders and chest until all this happened. Yes, I'll post once I've gotten it under control for any length of time and about how I managed. One thing that definitely helps on a temporary basis is Weleda Sea Buckthorn body wash and lotion. They're very soothing. It's sort of pricey for a body wash, but I'm keeping it for a while. And anything you think of that might help will be much appreciated.

System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |