Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Needing advice for a 16 year old
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Since it's been a while since I've been 16, can anyone out there who was recently 16,(lol) or have a 16 year old or know a 16 year old recommend a good skin care product for my lovely niece - who seems to have the forehead breakouts. She's tried ProActiv with no success and all the other OTC brands, but my sister was willing to try another route if there's a good regimen out there for her.

Her problem is mostly on her forehead - a bunch of teeny ones AND she has a Jr. dance coming up in October and I know she'd love to have it under control. I'd say she has normal to oily skin.

Thanks!!!!! Smile

Maria

Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Does she have bangs? It might be the hair conditioner thats bothering her. If she's tried BP and SA I'd look to either her makeup or conditioner.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Nope, no bangs. Her hair is always off her forehead.

Maria Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, if she doesn't have bangs...does your niece touch or lean her face onto her hands or arms without realizing it?

HTH
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Can't recommend any products but something to consider is that Dermalogica Face Mapping suggests that if the forehead is a problem area for breakouts you should drink more water and eat more 'whole' foods.
If the problem is more the middle of the forehead, between the eyebrows then this is related to the liver. Congestion in this area can indicate an over consumption of alcohol (let's hope not if your niece is 16!), rich foods, and possibly a food allergy eg. lactose intolerence.

I've had problems with spots since I was a teenager (I'm now 30) and I've recently discovered that giving up dairy products has improved the problem.
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
Can't recommend any products but something to consider is that Dermalogica Face Mapping suggests that if the forehead is a problem area for breakouts you should drink more water and eat more 'whole' foods.
If the problem is more the middle of the forehead, between the eyebrows then this is related to the liver. Congestion in this area can indicate an over consumption of alcohol (let's hope not if your niece is 16!), rich foods, and possibly a food allergy eg. lactose intolerence.

I've had problems with spots since I was a teenager (I'm now 30) and I've recently discovered that giving up dairy products has improved the problem.

I wasn't the original poster, but I'm 60 and I have the little red bumps on my forehead. Confused I do all the things suggested there, but still have the bumps, so.....

I found the Dermalogica Face Mapping to be very interesting. I really believe in diagnostic tools of that type and know that your body gives you messages about what may be going on with your internal organs.

I looked up which spas in my area offer the face mapping and I'm going to check it out! Smile

Will let you all know what I find.

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I had my face mapped about 3 months or so ago. It was quite interesting. I was told that my problem area (chin and around the mouth) was related to my ovaries and hormones. I could have guessed it was hormones! A lot of the stuff that was suggested to me was common sense (drinking water, avoiding caffeine and spicy foods etc) and the usual advice about taking evening primrose oil and zinc supplements. Pretty much all the stuff I was already trying.

She didn't really have any miraculous cures for my problem skin and that is why I have ended up using this forum. Get lots of advice from everyone here!
I did come away from the session with lots of free Dermalogica samples though. Smile

Let us know how it goes!
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:

She didn't really have any miraculous cures for my problem skin and that is why I have ended up using this forum. Get lots of advice from everyone here!
I did come away from the session with lots of free Dermalogica samples though. Smile
Let us know how it goes!

Oh, I love free samples. That will make it worth it even if she doesn't give me answers. Laughing

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mariav
My kids are still young, so no experience there. But, I have read in the forum that some one's son used MD formulations with good results. They do have the kits with everything in it for $49. Perhaps trying their kit for problem skin may solve the problem. If your niece has normal skin besides the forehead, having this kit is also a cost effective way just to treat the area.

Cheers
Jenny
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Mariav,

I've noticed that I get horrible break outs from most shampoos. Some that are especially bad are Pantene, Herbal Essences, Dove and Loreal. I have found 2 that don't cause reactions; Sheer blonde and finess clarifying shampoo. As for conditioners I can only go with sheer blonde detangling for fine hair.
Matherton
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
This may seem silly , but has she seen a doctor?
Whilst watching an infomercial(crazy i know!!!) for Murad skin care it was stated on there that there are many causes and types of acne , and conventional methods ie.Benzoyl Peroxide do not clear them up.
I started back with proactiv about 3 weeks ago and have noticed a considerable worsening in my own skin , so i know how it feels to have products fail!!
Although antibiotics may not be the best route to go there are lots of prescription topical creams and lotions available. I have used the Canadaian version of retin-a called retisol-la here and i had some marked improvement.
Hope some of this helps
mark:-)
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:02 am      Reply with quote
You guys are the best - Thank you so much for your input!!!

I've got lots of new info to tell my sister now!

xoMaria

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:10 am      Reply with quote
Best online site for acne research is

http://www.acne.org/

I use benzoyl peroxide when I need it and it works perfectly for me.
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Matherton wrote:
This may seem silly , but has she seen a doctor?
Whilst watching an infomercial(crazy i know!!!) for Murad skin care it was stated on there that there are many causes and types of acne , and conventional methods ie.Benzoyl Peroxide do not clear them up.
I started back with proactiv about 3 weeks ago and have noticed a considerable worsening in my own skin , so i know how it feels to have products fail!!
Although antibiotics may not be the best route to go there are lots of prescription topical creams and lotions available. I have used the Canadaian version of retin-a called retisol-la here and i had some marked improvement.
Hope some of this helps
mark:-)

Just read an article by a dermatologist who indicated that there is about a 3 week "balancing period" when trying any new product. She says that during that balancing period, you condition may worsen. Just sharing that to say that it may or may not be that the product isn't working. She also indicated after 3 weeks if the problem is still occurring, then the product is probably not for you.

I had a great deal of info at one time about a skincare routine made in Australia with bee propolis. I mention this because many people with acne had great results with this product. Bee propolis is a natural antibiotic, and is antimicrobial and anti-fungal. So, that makes sense to me as to why it may have helped people with acne.

You might do a web search for propolis skincare products. The one I was familiar with from Australia was Golden Harmony. Not sure if they're still in business or not, but there are other companies with bee propolis products.

I don't have acne, but have a very oily forehead and when I used the propolis skincare, the oiliness definitely lessened.

JUDY

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |