Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Weird thing on face...thoughts?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
I developed this thing on my face while using Retin-a last fall (no longer using...too irritating) though I don't know if it is related. I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is. Derm has been unhelpful.

Its between the apple of my cheek and nose and is basically round..tad smaller then a dime. It flares up (like it inflames), raises up and then calms down to almost unnoticeable. It appears to be my normal skin color which is pale from sun avoidance but contrasted next to spotty melasma skin makes for a major color contrast. Along the upper outer edge I can see the pores that make for the outer boarder of it and when it is flaring, I can feel the raised edge of it. The boarder on the lower part toward my mouth doesn't seem to raise up as much. It will flare throughout the day for several days at a time and then just calm down. It seems worse if my skin is dry or after washing my face before putting moisturizer/sunscreen on. What's weird about it is it's not just a random shape. It's circular...

The first time I went to the derm it was not very inflamed and she said it was an "artifact" and a visual illusion...area of skin with less melanin than the areas around it and she didn't believe it was anything. I went back today while it was slightly inflamed and now she says it could be seborrheac something (either keratosis or dermatosis..can't remember now) and is a "normal aging phenonmenon". She said come back when it's really inflamed and she'll confirm and if so she can freeze it off.

I've looked for pictures online and found nothing that resembles it. It does not resemble either of the things the derm suggested based on photos I found.

I'm wondering if it is fungal or yeast or something. Does anyone have any thoughts? I plan on finding another derm for another opinion but thougth I'd check here in the meantime.

Thanks.
Shelly
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
If it is seborrheic dermatitis then cortisone cream will make it go away in a few days... i have this on the corner of my mouth and ear and retin a makes it flare up... I use the hydrocortisone and it goes away... it comes back every once in a while, though... but lately been doing good, it's been a couple of months...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
shelly wrote:
I developed this thing on my face while using Retin-a last fall (no longer using...too irritating) though I don't know if it is related. I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is. Derm has been unhelpful.

It could be a solar keratosis that has surfaced due to the Retin-A usage (it just brought it to the top sooner) which is fairly common.

If so, you should have it checked by another dermatologist, because they can indeed turn into skin cancer.

Here is a link with an overview and some pictures (you will want to click the link fo facial pictures), though keep in mind that yours does NOT have to match any of these in order to be an issue.

http://dermnetnz.org/lesions/solar-keratoses.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Go see a doctor. I had this thing on my forehead. It flammed up and went down over a period of 2 or so months...
Eventually it flamed up and some liquid came out (YUKKKK!)... Anyway I now have a scar there Sad
I got the same thing on the inside of my elbow a month later I went to the doctor and they told me I had an infectiona and got antibiotics..
Moral of the story: should have gone to the Dr straight away & I wouldn't be spending this much $ trying to ge trid of the scar Sad
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
You can also try Obagi's Action. It should help calm your skin. If retin A cause too mucha irritation, you should try the lowest strength possible and tapper its use.
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I got a second opinion on this thing on my face and the guy said he thought it was "perioral acne" and gave me an antibiotic to use for 4 weeks before I go back to see him again.

It is NOT perioral acne...I'd bet the farm on this. It is normal skin that raises up in a circle.

My mom is a family physician and I saw her yesterday. She said it is not what either of the derms I've seen said it was and to her appears to show a histamine reaction and she's betting it is a hive and to try a topical steroid to see how it responds. My mom has phenomenal diagnostic skills --- but she's not a dermatologist. Although, her thoughts make the most sense out of what I've heard. I also have this other rash that comes and goes on my chest/neck/face so this whole histamine thing isn't too out of the realm of possibility.

Can you have just a single hive that never fully goes away and just keeps flaring up?
annie313
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Shelly, I wonder if it could be a cyst? Sometimes they can fill and then drain.( just a thought) I've had just one single, and it starts out tingling and it's very painful. After a few days it becomes blister like. Hope your mom can determine the cause.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |