Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Anti-Aging LightStim
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Keliu, don't you look awesome! (And your buddy is adorable!!)

I have completed day two of the Lightstim... I actually look forward to seeing those bright red lights while my eyes are closed, lol. It feels good to be doing something that's therapeutic as well as relaxing.

Happy Everything to you all!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Now i will buy the LightStim,but where is the best bargain?And there seemed to be several types..One for Rosacea-skin...and one Blue etc..

Which one shall i go for?
I plan to use it on the eye-aera,and neck.3 minutes a day on each spot?
Thanks in advance for help! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Zenia,
Are you in the USA or another country?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
To all EDS Members - wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and every happiness in the New Year to come - love from Lulu and me!

What an adorable picture! Merry Christmas to you, too, Keliu!
Zenia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Zenia,
Are you in the USA or another country?
I am in Norway,so your link seems great for me Smile Thank you!

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:44 am      Reply with quote
Merry Christmas! You look great!
Zelda
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Goodness, Kelieu - you look marvellous! Happy Christmas & New Year.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I tried to up my time from 2 minutes per area to 3 with the AALS and this was too much for my neck area. I feel like I have a burn on my neck from 3 minutes per area. I am going back down to 2 minutes, which seemed fine. I feel like the AALS gets pretty hot especially towards the end of the treatment, which is when I do my neck. The light was extremely bright and irritating to my eyes the first few times I used the AALS, but my eyes have definitely adjusted and now the light doesn't bother me at all.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl,
I think you are wise listening to your body for what is the best routine. I did ask Steve about the comments of the light being warmer than the old model. He said with the lights being recessed that if people press it into the skin it is slightly warmer by 1 degree. They did tests on the light placed in each area for 10 min and the skin temp. was still in a very safe temp.(For those reading this and are newbies....please use no longer than 3 min. as recommended). Anyway he did say for those that find it too warm just lightly hold it to the skin....not pressed against the skin. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
rileygirl,
I think you are wise listening to your body for what is the best routine. I did ask Steve about the comments of the light being warmer than the old model. He said with the lights being recessed that if people press it into the skin it is slightly warmer by 1 degree. They did tests on the light placed in each area for 10 min and the skin temp. was still in a very safe temp.(For those reading this and are newbies....please use no longer than 3 min. as recommended). Anyway he did say for those that find it too warm just lightly hold it to the skin....not pressed against the skin. Wink

Thanks for sharing this, Toby. I have also been wondering at the heat - it is right on the edge of being uncomfortable. I, too, end on my neck and now I will hold the device more lightly there...

Speaking of which, how close to the thyroid gland do you gals get? I just use the device on either side, but I am wondering now if even that isn't too stimulating to it... When I was an esthetician, we would place a cloth over the thyroid and work around it. Now that I'm using LED everyday, I have to wonder if I should start doing that?

Here's a quote from http://www.snappyfingers.com/faq/health/thyroid-gland/

"Can light therapy affect the thyroid gland?

While there are no known side-effects related to LED-based light therapy, the thyroid gland is a sensitive gland and very close to the skin surface, so treatment directly over the thyroid should preferably be avoided. A slight increase in thyroid activity has been reported in one report using LED light therapy. We suggest you place a light impermeable object over the thyroid when treating in or around this area."

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, Toby. I will definitely pay attention and hold it lightly on my neck.

Luminosity, I am glad I am not the only one that felt the intensity on my neck!! I do the same as you, use the AALS on either side of my neck, so I would be interested in hearing about the thyroid issue, as well!
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy and Kelieu, thank you so much for sharing your pictures. I just called my 22 yr.old to show her. She said wow, they look so good! I want her to see pictures of beautiful women who take care of themselves. I mean this in all sincerity, I never look outside myself to actresses or models in magazines. I've see the pictures of some EDS members and it inspires me so very much! I can look gorgeous and sexy as I get older. You all are living proof.
Pollyanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas Smile

I decided I was going to try and concoct a few DIY products since visiting this forum to save money and will definitely be doing a simple Vit C serum.
I did want to try making Kassy's LED pre-treatment serum but unfortunately am having a hard time with the ingredients in the UK and making it cost effective and/or simple for me,can't even buy distilled water here anymore!SO basically I am not liking spraying the steeped green/white tea anymore because I find doing the repeated sprays over 20 minutes as prep simply too time consuming and would rather just pat on a serum and go! I've found a few ready made green tea serums here and I am wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me which is the better option as far as their ingredients go..?
First one is:
Distilled Water, Green Tea Extract,
Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Vegetable
Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Carbomer, Cucumber Extract, Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Flower Extract Silk
Protein, L-Arginine, Germall Plus

Second one has:
Green Tea, Jojoba Oil, Aloe Vera and Hyaluronic acid (there may be a few additives or preservatives but I can't find the exact ingredient list,it's on Ebay)

Third One: (it's the Marine Nutrient Serum from the UK branch of the Skinactives site)
Distilled water, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Sodium PCA, Alpha Bisabolol (natural), Coconut Endosperm, Natural Active Peptides, Sodium Hyaluronate, Guaizulene, Germaben II.

Sorry for all the info -would be most grateful for any recommendations. I honestly don't have it in me to spend any more hours going through all the posts on here and searching google. Gonna go cuckoo pretty soon trying to figure it all out !
Laughing

oops -edit-one more thing I noticed. I am planning to buy the 'Let's Make Collagen 'serum from Skinactives and now I'm wondering would it work as a pre-treatment serum-these are the ingredients:
Distilled Water, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Sodium PCA, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Pomegranate Extract, Natural Active Peptides, Hyaluronic Acid, L-Carnosine, Boswellia Serrata, Niacinamide, N-Acetyl Glucosamine, Centella Asiatica, Horse Chestnut Extract, Betulinic Acid, Green Tea EGCG, Epidermal Growth Factor BT, Germaben II.

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
To add to Pollyanna's serum question... I'm finding that wiping off my face so that it's bare right before a treatment leaves my skin so darn dry... Sad The heat of the LED lights does not help matters.

I wonder if any of the serums Pollyanna mentioned (or even the Matrixyl that I have from NCN) left on - maybe even with a drop of jojoba - might work as long as they are absorbed??

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Luminosity wrote:
To add to Pollyanna's serum question... I'm finding that wiping off my face so that it's bare right before a treatment leaves my skin so darn dry... Sad The heat of the LED lights does not help matters.

I wonder if any of the serums Pollyanna mentioned (or even the Matrixyl that I have from NCN) left on - maybe even with a drop of jojoba - might work as long as they are absorbed??

I'm afraid that this subject has now become a contentious one - those who disagree with the theory of washing serums off before treatments get into trouble! All I can say is that there's not one LED manufacturer that I know of who advocates this method (including Lightstim). But I would suggest that you do what feels right for you - IMO the LEDs help serums penetrate into the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Keliu wrote:
To all EDS Members - wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and every happiness in the New Year to come - love from Lulu and me!

What an adorable picture! Merry Christmas to you, too, Keliu!

You make a gorgeous reindeer Keliu! I do so wish I could paint your nose red and make you into a Rudolph though! Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I'm afraid that this subject has now become a contentious one - those who disagree with the theory of washing serums off before treatments get into trouble! All I can say is that there's not one LED manufacturer that I know of who advocates this method (including Lightstim). But I would suggest that you do what feels right for you - IMO the LEDs help serums penetrate into the skin.

I have NEVER said to "wash the serums off", and you have stated that several times... Sad And sorry but I get a little contentious when I'm misquoted time and again by some folks, because other members are reading it as my words which have been twisted. This is what I have said time and again;

"My best advice (in general) would be to use any good and nourishing serum, allow it to really penetrate for up to say an hour, and then just use a damp cloth before your treatment, to remove any trace of *occlusive* ingredients that might remain. "

And

"I just prefer to err on the side of caution, and use a damp cloth to remove any *film* that might remain, just prior to my LED treatment."

I hope everybody will just do a little research and then do exactly what suits them. I'm simply sharing the tried and true that have worked for me (or not) over the years. My intention was only to help LED users to save themselves some grief + wasted time, and share what has worked (or not) in my 39 months of experience. It would be nice if others would share their bright ideas (Idea ) instead of just focusing on my opinions.. Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Pollyanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy, I know you're incredibly knowledgeable especially in regards to DIY and ingredients combinations so secretly I was hoping you'd answer my question above Wink(not sure you saw it?)It was followed up with Luminosity's question/comment about removing the serum first so maybe got missed..
I would so appreciate it if you could advise me. I think I have made up my mind but would be great to get your confirmation Smile

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu - thanks for sharing your picture!! It's nice to *see* you. wave And you look fantastic, esp. with the antlers!!

If anyone can chime in with the LED on the thyroid, I'd be interested, too. I actually have been thinking about that. I avoid the front of the 'roid, but what about the sides?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Keliu - thanks for sharing your picture!! It's nice to *see* you. wave And you look fantastic, esp. with the antlers!!

If anyone can chime in with the LED on the thyroid, I'd be interested, too. I actually have been thinking about that. I avoid the front of the 'roid, but what about the sides?

Here are images of the Female thyroid,

http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=safari&q=image%20of%20female%20thyroid%20gland

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
gumdropday wrote:
Hi...I just wanted to share a response I got to a few questions from Lightstim.

I asked if there was any benefit to using it more than 3 minutes?

If it was okay to use anywhere on the body?

This was their reply:

Thank you so much for contacting us!

You can actually use it up to 5 minutes but after that there are no additional benefits as the LEDs have done their work, stimulating the cells to produce more collagen and elastin.

There are no contraindications with regards to the thyroid!

Hope this helps -

Regards -

LightStim International, Inc
The LEADER in LED Light Therapy
Re-awaken Your Skin with LightStim

I have spoken to three LED companies about the thyroid issues and two said there isn't a concern unless you already have a thyroid condition and one said to be on the safe side avoid the area.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I have NEVER said to "wash the serums off", and you have stated that several times... Sad And sorry but I get a little contentious when I'm misquoted time and again by some folks, because other members are reading it as my words which have been twisted. This is what I have said time and again;

"My best advice (in general) would be to use any good and nourishing serum, allow it to really penetrate for up to say an hour, and then just use a damp cloth before your treatment, to remove any trace of *occlusive* ingredients that might remain. "

And

"I just prefer to err on the side of caution, and use a damp cloth to remove any *film* that might remain, just prior to my LED treatment."

To me, "washing" and "wiping with a damp cloth" are much the same - I didn't intend to mislead anyone or to skew your words.

In regard to everyone doing their own research - I have tried and tried to find information on which serum ingredients are occlusive to light. All I can come up with is information on sunscreens or zinc which block UVA or UVB (not sure about infra-red).

I am not a scientist or a chemist - I admit to being basically clueless when it comes to these matters. If you have research or information that shows that certain substances block the wavelengths of LEDs I wish that you would share that information here instead of getting mad at me for having a different opinion (and an opinion that, I admit, is based on my own logic and not on science). I still contend that if oils block light they would be incorporated into sunscreens and not be regarded as something to avoid applying when out in the sun.

As for the thyroid issue - I don't use any electrical device directly over the thyroid. I place the device at the sides of my neck - which is probably why the front of my neck has made no improvement at all!

Riley - if you're finding that the light is too hot on you neck - why don't you treat that area first.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Riley - if you're finding that the light is too hot on you neck - why don't you treat that area first.

Good idea. I used the AALS last night for 2 minutes on each side of the neck and it was much better. I also did the neck next to last. Figured I would save the intense heat for my lip lines! Laughing
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Good idea. I used the AALS last night for 2 minutes on each side of the neck and it was much better. I also did the neck next to last. Figured I would save the intense heat for my lip lines! Laughing

I start my treatments in a different part of the face each time - just in case the heat intensity makes a difference! Don't know whether this is crazy or not!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you interested in the debate on serums blocking LED waves. This is a post from Nanci at NCN ProSkincare on the subject - it was made back in December '09. The DermaWave is the LED device sold by NCN. Following is Kassy's reply:

NCN wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kassy - thank you for your email! I'm emailing you back but this really needs to be addressed here for all to see. The following is from the creator of the DermaWave and will clear things up – and it’s pretty interesting!

“First off, as it relates to particular serums or ointments 'blocking light'. Let's forget for the moment that both silicones and polymers have been used for optical transmission, itself ... such as in the creation of fiber optics -- as well as a host of plastic, vacuum-formed lenses used in cell phones and disposable cameras, say ... But for those who wish to dispute, there's a device that settles such things. It's called a 'densitometer'. It's used in the sciences, engineering, the photo-optical industry -- as well as the motion picture industry to check film stock exposure density, scene by scene, when they're mass-producing the 'release prints' for theater distribution ...

Okay, not everyone has a densitometer at home, like we do. Still, you have one built into your head. Actually you have two of them. They're called the eyes. Take any serum or ointment you wish to 'test'. Place it on a 'slide'. Okay ... you threw away your microscope kit in the 9th Grade ... A sheet of glass, then. Okay ... clear plastic if you're afraid of cutting up your hands. You just made a 'smear'. Now shine the light (from an LED, say) though the serum and behold ... While the light will seem more diffused (though, far less so than that imparted by the actual skin, itself), there will still be 'light-a-plenty' projecting right through it -- and at any wavelength. There'll be somewhat of a reduction with very white creams as 'white' has a reflectance value. But when one actually smears these creams on a slide, they're often amazed at just how translucent these white creams are once 'spread' (as they would be on the skin).

In a related aside experiment, try this one as a 'penetration test' for an LED (at almost any wavelength). Mask out two sides of the lens found of one of our smaller heads. Black tape is great -- but you can use a couple of layers of masking tape, in a pinch. What you want to create is a wide slit, but no wider than a thumb at the head's 'front end'. Now wider than a thumb because ... we're going to project that light ... right through the thumb. Indeed, place the underside pad of the thumb on the LEDs illuminating through the slit. Dim the room lights (you don't need total darkness). Now behold! See the thumb nail -- clear on the other side of the thick thumb -- be fully 'transilluminated' by the light. And keep in mind, we're doing this with a skeletal structure in the way, to boot.

Now .... show me any cream, ointment, serum, elixir or gel that has the opacity of a thumb ... with a skeleton inside. Feel free to repeat the 'Transilluminated Thumb' experiment with any serum of your choosing smeared on your thumb pad. By the way, the thumb is generally also thicker than any skin section you'll find on a face -- even among the obese.

Now ...as to 'cross-polymers' ... this 1) relates to synthetic polymers and 2) results in an altered viscosity (becoming somewhat thicker) -- particularly with the synthetic polymers that are designed -- specifically - to be photo-reactive, such as in dentistry where they're using as setting agent to 'cure', say, veneers. And even here, they're designed to be photo-reactive at a specified wavelength. Others are photo-reactive to not just 'any light' but specifically to ultra-violet light, solely. And there are no LEDs used for photo rejuvenation -- at any wavelength -- that emit UV (Blue, at 420 ~ 460nm would be the closest you would come ... Amber, Red -- nowhere even close, existing on the complete, other side of the rainbow). But moreover, if a product isn't good for LED exposure, it wouldn't be good for any common daylight exposure, either. For an LED - at any given wavelength -- is merely a sliver of ... daylight exposure. It only works because it's 'narrow-band selective'.

And, finally, for any cosmetic ingredient to magically 'servo-convert' into formaldehdye... uhhh ... no. Any high school chemistry teacher would tell you this. The internet is just filled with misinformation Nanci.”

Kassy wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Nanci!

Unfortunately for me, I didn't understand much of what he said, and will err on the side of caution, and try to avoid what I believe are occlusive ingredients. (LED treatments just take too much time in the long term, to gamble with what might result in that time having been wasted.. ) Anyway, that's what's good for me, as I have no time to waste..

What ever happened to just plain talk, where 20 words will do to answer a simple question.. Argh!

Thanks again Nanci!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=1250

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |