Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pretika SonicDermabrasion [Clarisonic Knock-off] Review
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
So after a thread on my skin dilemma's [http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=29119] many people recommended the Clarisonic Facial Brush. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted it, it wasn't in my budget. I stumbled upon a link to a Knock-off called the Pretika Sonic Dermabrasion for 44.95 on HSN.com. I figured 'What the heck' and I ordered it.

I've now been using the Pretika for over a week, and I really like it. I noticed an almost immediate difference in the texture in my skin.

Currently, I'm using it only at night with a very gentle cream cleanser [Repechage Hydra 4 Cleanser] but it's been working for me. The first time I thought it may have been slightly abrasive, but by the second time It felt fine. The morning after the Third time I used it I noticed smoother skin, smaller pores, less texture, and no new blemishes. At that point, I ordered one for my boyfriend to try aswell.

It's normally 60 dollars, but HSN [http://beauty.hsn.com/pretika-sonic-dermabrasion-facial-system_p-3702251_xp.aspx] has it for 44.95 and you can get the warranty too. It comes with a replacement brush head, and some products.

My only complaints were:
1. The products it came with smell terrible. The scent is a really pungent citrus smell. I planned on using my own products anyway, so I didn't care. Just a warning.
2. It comes with two of the same brush-heads and doesn't have a selection of firmness like the Clarisonic, atleast not that I'm aware of. The bristles were fine for me, but there's no 'Delicate' brush like the Clarisonic.

All in all, it's undeniable that this product is a Clarisonic Knock-off. But the bottom line is that I'm seeing positive results, and It was well worth what I paid for it.

I'm not going to lie, I do kinda wonder if the results would be even BETTER from the higher-end Clarisonic, but currently the Pretika is satisfying. Smile

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Awesome! As you know, I got it right after you said that the Pretika and the Clarisonic feel the same to you. I got it yesterday and I used it for the first time just now. There is a huge difference in the appearance of my nose- the blackheads are simply no longer black! I used it only one time but I'm already happy Smile

I gave away the scrub and I'm going to use the cream as a travel size hands cream.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 5:10 am      Reply with quote
I have a Clarisonic and have used it for six months, I LOVE it. I bought the Pretika for my mother and mother-in law for Mother's Day. I helped my mother with hers and used it three times for a comparison. My opinion is that it is a great product. It has two speeds and it has the potential for being great to use all over the body. The brush is very different in feel and texture from the clarisonic. The Pretika is not as silky. Now if you face is sensitive you would need to use it with very little pressure. Thinking for the purpose of dermabrasion the rougher brush may produce more results. Having had dermabrasion in a spa it was somewhat painful, so the Pretika may have an advantage with that point. For sheer enjoyment, I still have a love affair with my clairisonic but if I had the extra money I would have a Pretika for the body and for a weekly dermabrsion session. I currently use my clairsonic twice a day.
Ann
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Yeah. From reading the reviews on the Clarisonic, I expected the brush to be softer (silkier). Also there's no choice of brushes- delicate, sensitive, etc. It's just the one type of brush. It was good for me though so I'm happy. I don't think it's necessary for me to have a more delicate brush. I did use the Pretika on the lower of the two speeds.

Toby wrote:
I have a Clarisonic and have used it for six months, I LOVE it. I bought the Pretika for my mother and mother-in law for Mother's Day. I helped my mother with hers and used it three times for a comparison. My opinion is that it is a great product. It has two speeds and it has the potential for being great to use all over the body. The brush is very different in feel and texture from the clarisonic. The Pretika is not as silky. Now if you face is sensitive you would need to use it with very little pressure. Thinking for the purpose of dermabrasion the rougher brush may produce more results. Having had dermabrasion in a spa it was somewhat painful, so the Pretika may have an advantage with that point. For sheer enjoyment, I still have a love affair with my clairisonic but if I had the extra money I would have a Pretika for the body and for a weekly dermabrsion session. I currently use my clairsonic twice a day.
Ann
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Ok, the second time I used it it felt rougher. One thing is maybe I didn't get the brush wet enough. Also the brush every day is possibly too much for me, I'm gonna go every other day for a while and pay attentioon to how my skin reacts. So far so good- I have one huge cystic pimple on my chest but I got it before I even started with the brush. I've been avoiding using the brush directly on the pimple bump. Is this correct?

Also, I did a honey mask right after the brush Smile. I think honey mask after the brush is a great combination.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering how easy it would be to get replacement brushes for the Pretika? Do you have to order them thru the manufacterer?

I have the Clarisonic and it has been out a while so it's "here to stay". So I think that's another consideration when considering which brush to spend on.

The MD Clarisonic has 3 speeds - the fastest speed they added is meant for use on the body. I have an older 2-speed model so I can't speak personally on the 3-speed MD model. But you can use the 2-speed Clarisonic for the body as well. I know some people take the Clarisonic in the shower and use it on both the face and body there.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
You can order a set of replacement brush heads on the pretika website, I checked. They're not expensive.

lunarmm wrote:
I was wondering how easy it would be to get replacement brushes for the Pretika? Do you have to order them thru the manufacterer?

I have the Clarisonic and it has been out a while so it's "here to stay". So I think that's another consideration when considering which brush to spend on.

The MD Clarisonic has 3 speeds - the fastest speed they added is meant for use on the body. I have an older 2-speed model so I can't speak personally on the 3-speed MD model. But you can use the 2-speed Clarisonic for the body as well. I know some people take the Clarisonic in the shower and use it on both the face and body there.
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Yeah. From reading the reviews on the Clarisonic, I expected the brush to be softer (silkier). Also there's no choice of brushes- delicate, sensitive, etc. It's just the one type of brush. It was good for me though so I'm happy. I don't think it's necessary for me to have a more delicate brush. I did use the Pretika on the lower of the two speeds.

After a week of use I've noticed the brush bristles get softer. I compared it to my spare brush and it's definitely gotten softer. I'm still using it every night, and its working great for me. Smile HTH

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I hope they get softer! I wish the pretika people would come out with a more delicate brush, since it shouldn't be "one size fits all". On their website they do have a pack of 5 brushes for 20$ but it's all the same brush... I want variety!

Nemo!AtTheDisco wrote:
Nimue wrote:

After a week of use I've noticed the brush bristles get softer. I compared it to my spare brush and it's definitely gotten softer. I'm still using it every night, and its working great for me. Smile HTH
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I hope they get softer! I wish the pretika people would come out with a more delicate brush, since it shouldn't be "one size fits all". On their website they do have a pack of 5 brushes for 20$ but it's all the same brush... I want variety!

Why don't you write Pretika's customer service and make the suggestion as the Clarisonic offers 3 different types: normal, sensitive, and delicate.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Why don't you write Pretika's customer service and make the suggestion as the Clarisonic offers 3 different types: normal, sensitive, and delicate.

Personally, I've found that if you make sure that both your face and the brush have adequate water and cleanser on them, that the brush feels fine. Also, I find that you don't need to apply any pressure. Just let the pretika lay on your skin. That's what works best for me. I'm still using it every night and literally have had only 1 breakout since I started using it.

Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Nemo!AtTheDisco wrote:
lunarmm wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Personally, I've found that if you make sure that both your face and the brush have adequate water and cleanser on them, that the brush feels fine. Also, I find that you don't need to apply any pressure. Just let the pretika lay on your skin. That's what works best for me. I'm still using it every night and literally have had only 1 breakout since I started using it.

Yeah I also found that I have to make sure it's adequately wet. Do you put cleanser directly on it? What I've been doing was putting a lot of cleanser on the are, and wetting the brush. Should I put cleanser on both the area and the brush?

I'll try applying less pressure and just letting it do its thing. I want to make clear, I like it a LOT. I've only had it for a week (and at this point I have a nice skin care routine in general) but I haven't had any new pimples. Smile
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Yeah I also found that I have to make sure it's adequately wet. Do you put cleanser directly on it? What I've been doing was putting a lot of cleanser on the are, and wetting the brush. Should I put cleanser on both the area and the brush?

I'll try applying less pressure and just letting it do its thing. I want to make clear, I like it a LOT. I've only had it for a week (and at this point I have a nice skin care routine in general) but I haven't had any new pimples. Smile

Glad the Pretika is working for you. I have the Clarisonic. I wet my face and dab a little cleanser in certain areas of my face and spread it around with my fingers. Then I wet my Clarisonic and start using it.

No need to waste cleanser that's not needed. Also, too much cleanser (depending on the kind) can dry out your face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 8:14 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:

Glad the Pretika is working for you. I have the Clarisonic. I wet my face and dab a little cleanser in certain areas of my face and spread it around with my fingers. Then I wet my Clarisonic and start using it.

No need to waste cleanser that's not needed. Also, too much cleanser (depending on the kind) can dry out your face.

Me too! Smile

I'm not at all afraid of using too much cleanser... I have a semi DIY cleanser made mostly of (not expensive) honey. It's super gentle and good for skin. It was really cheap to make too. Smile Actually I can't wait to use up the current batch so that I can make a new improved batch next time. Mixing stuff is half the fun for me!

Recently I gave away a whole bottle of the current cleanser batch to a friend who's struggling with her skin, and I'm actually really excited about being done with the current cleanser batch sooner than expected.
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
lunarmm wrote:

Me too! Smile

I'm not at all afraid of using too much cleanser... I have a semi DIY cleanser made mostly of (not expensive) honey. It's super gentle and good for skin. It was really cheap to make too. Smile Actually I can't wait to use up the current batch so that I can make a new improved batch next time. Mixing stuff is half the fun for me!

Recently I gave away a whole bottle of the current cleanser batch to a friend who's struggling with her skin, and I'm actually really excited about being done with the current cleanser batch sooner than expected.

I apply a light layer of a cream cleanser to my entire face, and wipe the extra cleanser on my hands onto the brush. It's been working great for me. I'm glad you love it too. Smile

Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have mostly fantastic results- my face is ridiculously clear, no new pimples anywhere. I didn't even get any hormonal breakouts. However, I do want to note that there's an area on my chest (about 2 inches diameter) of irritation and little red bumps. It could be from the pretika. I think I could have spent too much time on that spot and was too rough to it. Anyway it's nont so bad and I think the irritation will go away quickly. I did use the pretika today, I just tried to be super gentle with it.
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I have mostly fantastic results- my face is ridiculously clear, no new pimples anywhere. I didn't even get any hormonal breakouts. However, I do want to note that there's an area on my chest (about 2 inches diameter) of irritation and little red bumps. It could be from the pretika. I think I could have spent too much time on that spot and was too rough to it. Anyway it's nont so bad and I think the irritation will go away quickly. I did use the pretika today, I just tried to be super gentle with it.

I love mine aswell! I've had amazing results, then I didn't use mine for almost 3 days [got a sunburn, right through my SPF!] and by the third day I had 2 large breakouts on my chin! Needless to say I'm back to using it religiously at night.

Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah! My skin is the closest to perfect that it's ever been! The area of irritation is already mostly gone. Now that I think of it, I used the microfoliant that morning so using the microfoliant the morning after using the pretika was probably the culprit.

Nemo!AtTheDisco wrote:

I love mine aswell! I've had amazing results, then I didn't use mine for almost 3 days [got a sunburn, right through my SPF!] and by the third day I had 2 large breakouts on my chin! Needless to say I'm back to using it religiously at night.
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I *really* want a Clarisonic but the price for it is shocking!

I have a AA Lightstim which came with a "Switching Power Supply" UK adaptor, do you think it would work with the Pretika? They both seem identical. http://beauty.hsn.com/cnt/prod/zoom/zoom_viewer.aspx?main_img=278319_alt1&webp_id=3702251

My Lightstim adaptor: http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh185/damedavid/DSCF0995.jpg

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have no idea... I think you should contact the company about it. I heard that they have good customer service.

ljk wrote:

I have a AA Lightstim which came with a "Switching Power Supply" UK adaptor, do you think it would work with the Pretika? They both seem identical. http://beauty.hsn.com/cnt/prod/zoom/zoom_viewer.aspx?main_img=278319_alt1&webp_id=3702251

My Lightstim adaptor: http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh185/damedavid/DSCF0995.jpg

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
ljk wrote:

Pretika didn't reply to my email, sadly. Though I bought one from ebay and it works with my Lightstim Power Supply Adaptor Converter Very Happy

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
essq2w3e4r
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:41 am      Reply with quote
The Pretika Sonic Dermabrasion is out of stock at HSN. Crying or Very sad Amazon sells it at a slightly higher price, $55... BUT they also have an offer to buy it with the Pretika ST197 Lightsonic Pulsating Light Therapy System for $90 for the two items. I wonder if the latter is a knock off on the Baby Quasar? I am so bummed with my BQ still on backorder at EDS. I am debating if I should just cancel the BQ order and get these 2 Pretika items. Seems to be getting good reviews...
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
essq2w3e4r wrote:
The Pretika Sonic Dermabrasion is out of stock at HSN. Crying or Very sad Amazon sells it at a slightly higher price, $55... BUT they also have an offer to buy it with the Pretika ST197 Lightsonic Pulsating Light Therapy System for $90 for the two items. I wonder if the latter is a knock off on the Baby Quasar? I am so bummed with my BQ still on backorder at EDS. I am debating if I should just cancel the BQ order and get these 2 Pretika items. Seems to be getting good reviews...

Go for it! Very Happy
If I were you and getting the Pretika for the first time I would get the other toy too. It was mentioned on this forum too and of course it's a great deal.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Nimue, I ordered the Pretika items! I can't wait to get them. I wonder if i should use the pretika Lightsonic Pulsating Light Therapy System on half of my face and the BQ on the other? Wink
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
essq2w3e4r wrote:
Yes Nimue, I ordered the Pretika items! I can't wait to get them. I wonder if i should use the pretika Lightsonic Pulsating Light Therapy System on half of my face and the BQ on the other? Wink

Of course, this means you're also getting the clarisonic and using that on half your face also. Then you'll report back here with results Very Happy

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |