Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Body is easier to get burned than the face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
My sister went to Playland yesterday. It was so~ hot & sunny and she was outside for more than 2hrs at least. Her arms, back, and chest are all burned like a lobster but her face remains fine. She didn't put on any sunscreen on her body but on her face, she only applied Olay SPF 15 moisturizer which I think is not really sufficient protection at all for that kinda weather.

So I'm just wondering if anyone here experienced that? The body is more sensitive than the face?
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I would say my face is normally more sensitive, however I would guess that most of us have been covered up for the winter and this is the first time our arms, legs ect are exposed. So that may be the reason that they got burnt this time around. Our face is used to the elements and sun and the small SPF probably helped a little.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
My face is way more sensitive that my body due to all the acids and microdermabrasions. My skin on my face has to be paper thin!
Sonnie
5% products discount

Tue May 20, 2008 1:10 am      Reply with quote
You'd be surprised how some spf creams can protect. 2 Hours is a long time so I would put it down to the cream.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 5:15 am      Reply with quote
SPF 15 is sufficient for dialy protect..
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 6:23 am      Reply with quote
have to agree with others- when i go out with my spf moisturizer and MMU I never have to worry about my face, it is the rest of my body that gets burned if i do not apply sunscreen

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Some SPF beats no SPF every time! Unless you use AHAs or retinoids on your face, in which case burning can set in fast. When I started Retin A long ago, I went out on a drizzly lunchtime and got a sunburn on my nose and cheeks. That's when I realized that daily sunscreen was a non-negotiable necessity when using retinoids.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Playland in Rye, NY? (I realize this is way off the topic, but gotta know...)
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Stardusty, I think the reason she got burned on the body was due to the fact that she got no sunscreen on her body at all while she got SPF 15 on her face. I read that SPF 15 provides 93% protection while SPF 30 provides 95%. SPF 50 provides just one more percent. Being in the hot sun for 2 hours is a very long time, so it's normal to get burned if the skin is not protected. Also, maybe she was not looking up and getting sun on her face since she was there to keeping an eye on the kids, right? (Playland) Her face might have suffered more if she was sunbathing and facing the sun for 2 hours.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie, it's Playland in Vancouver Canada Very Happy

I guess my sister was out toasted under the sun for about 4-5hrs. On the other hand, her bf got his face burned but not his body. So we're wondering if it's cuz he's taller and blocked the sunrays for my sis? haha I know it doesn't quite make sense...
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think so, the face should be more sensitive, typically sunscrenn with SPF15 is sufficent, you may not know that Olay sunscreen also has zinc oxide which adds an additional plus to the sunscreen. That's why her body get sunburn and not her face.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Our face is exposed all year round to the sun while her body was probably not used to such sun exposure. Also, she had some SPF on her face and that helped too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I dont think having a taller boyfriend help much unless he's constantly standing in a position to block the sun. Apply sunscreen is very important and Im sure your sister learn it the hard way just like us when we were young.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1, Playland is like a park where there're rides. It's for both adults and kids too Smile

To the others, well yeah perhpas the SPF 15 does offer some protection too then I guess...

My sister is only 23 but she doesn't really wear ss when she goes out into the sun. I told her many times that it's bad for your skin and she'll be like yeah u can't be afraid of everything and such... oh well Doubt
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy
I agreed, there is only so much you can do. But your sister is surely lucky to have you. Tell her to use sunscreen on areas that are exposed to the sun, don't forget her lips and the back of her neck as I had long hair and one time I tied my hair up and got sunburn on the back of my neck.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |