Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
best Mineral foundation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
violet23

Thu May 22, 2008 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
I swear I have tried them all..are there any that are fab that wont dry out my skin. I would like to wear a more natural foundation that wont clog the pores and has some ss to it.

thanks
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
I just love Lauren Hutton's aqua elements! unfortunately no spf rating so I use a moisturizer that has some spf.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
What MMU have you tried? I am quite oily, sensitive and I have tried approximately 20 brands.

Have you visited any MMU forums? The best one IMO is mineralmakeupmania.com on delphi forums.

Currently I am using Lumiere Veena Velvet (medium coverage) and Jenulence foundation concealer (full coverage). I have samples of Blusche new full coverage that I received free (during a pre sale brush) and I really really like it. It is is much cheaper than the Jenulence too!

I have Blusche for oily skin formula. But she does make a dry skin formula with or without squalene.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I like alima.You can do a search here and get a lot of info on it;their #25 foundation brush is the best.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
Alima is drying. I have been mixing some minerals with jojoba oil with a bit of alcohol. I mix enough of everything to make it like a pudding. Its been really great at not giving me dry flakes at the end of the day and makes the minerals last.
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 am      Reply with quote
I can recommend UGloGirl mineral foundation. To be fair, I apply the minerals after my moisturizer has sunk in, however I do not find them drying (Alima was drying on my skin - I looked flat and dehydrated when I used each of the formulas)
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Just a note to say that the ingredient list for the aqua elements lists both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide- so I would guess there is some spf, suppose they just do not want to go through the process of getting it rated...

It really is the best I have found for wear and not showing pores and highlighting wrinkles. Even with our TX temps now in the nineties with high humidity this is lasting well with no itchiness. (I do find primer on the t-zone takes care of keeping a matte finish all day for me.)

5% products discount

Sun May 25, 2008 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
I find most of the powdered minreal makeup to look dry on my face. I like Jane Iredale, since I prefer the liquid. I haven't really found many other minreal companies that make the liquid.I find it blends better than the powder. My only issue with this makeup is that I have oily skin, and by the end of the day I need to use blotting papers. I believe this makeup would be great for dry/normal skin.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
LJ604 wrote:
I find most of the powdered minreal makeup to look dry on my face. I like Jane Iredale, since I prefer the liquid. I haven't really found many other minreal companies that make the liquid.I find it blends better than the powder. My only issue with this makeup is that I have oily skin, and by the end of the day I need to use blotting papers. I believe this makeup would be great for dry/normal skin.

Raesin Images makes a liquid MMU.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 8:06 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
LJ604 wrote:

Raesin Images makes a liquid MMU.

I'm currently using Illuminare liquid mineral foundation and blush. They have one especially for oily skin.
http://www.illuminarecosmetics.com/
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I find all MMUs look drying immediately after application, but it sets in and looks gorgeous within 1/2 hour when your 'oils' start coming out . Haha that sounds disgusting but at least your face is gorgeous. To speed up that process, I spray with a toner (PSF R&R!!) right after and between layers if I'm applying more heavily.

5% products discount

Fri May 30, 2008 12:50 am      Reply with quote
Of all the ones i have tried (BE, sheer cover Jane Iredale) my favorite is from aromaleigh. They have a couple of different variations. I prefer the Glissade. i've been ordering it for so long, i don't remember why i liked that over the other type ("voile" i think it's called--something like that). Whatever the case, i do remember that neither version made my face itch --which was a problem with a lot of MMU for me.
Aromaleigh, all the way.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 6:23 am      Reply with quote
I have a few favorites I switch between. I really like Lumiere and Meow cosmetics. Also if you don't mind not-so-natural I like Maybelline's loose mineral foundation.

I find that even though the ingredients in most MMU are similar the quality and formulation makes a big difference. You would think it seems so simple but I think MMU is really an individual thing so finding the right one isn't easy. Luckily many of the smaller companies offer samples so you can at least try them out before buying full size.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm actually trying samples of Lauress MMU right now and I'm loving it so far!! It doesn't seem drying and makes my skin looks nice Very Happy I'm still trying to figure out which shade looks the best on me as I seem to find that so many different shades of MMU suits me too. Confused
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Lumiere Veena Velvet for about 6-8 months now and I really do like it. My only issue is that sometimes it does appear dry/cakey looking and other times it looks great. I use the same application method each time so I cannot figure out why the results vary??

I read the recent raves about Lauress MMU so thought why not give it a try. I ordered a bunch of samples and received them lightening fast. I absolutely loved the look - Never dry or cakey, great coverage, much better appearance for use under the eyes I thought WOW this is it. I have been using the samples for about 2 weeks now and just as I was getting ready to place an order for the full size...LOOK OUT...my face starting breaking out all over the place (This never happens to me!) I even started getting little red bumps almost allergic or hive type marks all around my eyes. Needless to say I have immediately stopped using Lauress and have returned to Lumiere. It has been 2 days and my face is calming down - I have no idea what ingredient in Lauress caused this but it had to be from Lauress because I have not applied anything new to my face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi fairlady, hhm now you're starting to scare me. This is my 3rd day using Lauress and so far so good. I guess I'll wait another week or so before deciding.

Just wondering which foundation were u using? Was it the Elemental or Minimalist. Elemental has Zinc Oxide as its 1st ingredient whereas Minimalist is Titanium Dioxide. You might be allergic to either one then? Hope you recover soon! Sad
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Stardusty:

I was using the minimalist. It was really sudden and quite bad. I had about 40 very small red bumps all over my face. It looked like I had the Chicken pox or something. I have used nearly every make-up under the sun over the years and have never had anything like this happen. I stopped using the Lauress about 5 days ago and I still have about 10 little red bumps left that have not yet gone away Crying or Very sad

Such a bummer because I really liked this MMU the best. I will keep my fingers crossed that it continues to work well for you. Odds are pretty good that you will be fine with it - I am probably just a fluky exception.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote
fairlady wrote:
Stardusty:

I was using the minimalist. It was really sudden and quite bad. I had about 40 very small red bumps all over my face. It looked like I had the Chicken pox or something. I have used nearly every make-up under the sun over the years and have never had anything like this happen. I stopped using the Lauress about 5 days ago and I still have about 10 little red bumps left that have not yet gone away Crying or Very sad

Such a bummer because I really liked this MMU the best. I will keep my fingers crossed that it continues to work well for you. Odds are pretty good that you will be fine with it - I am probably just a fluky exception.

It might be because you are using a brush to apply. Sometimes overbuffing can cause tears in the skin. A synthetic hair brush is gentler or try using a flocked sponge. I had such trouble with sore skin that I dont use a brush.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestion Sakura but this is not sore skin - it is more like small hive type red bumps (dozens of them) that popped up overnight - even by my eye area.

I have used Titanium Dioxide before in sunscreens and never had a problem. I need to figure out what ingredient is in Lauress minimalist that is not in Lumiere Veena Velvet because that is probably the culprit.

It has to be Lauress MMU because it is the only new product that I was applying.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
It doesnt have to be painful but can be itchy. Maybe if you try it again dont use a brush.

Otherwise, calamine lotion or benadryl? Or aloe vera gel to calm?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi fairlady, I was using the Lauress Minimalist over on Sat. and when I washed my face at night, I seem to have developed a scatter of small red bumps on my cheeks too. My face was fine the night before and in the morning. But the weird thing is, I used the Minimalist the other day too and my face was fine.

I did try the Elemental and seems fine but not sure yet.

The problem is I'm having my period and using the Minimalist at the same time. I'm not sure if the outbreak of small red bumps are from the Minimalist or my period... so confusing! Should I keep on using the Minimalist to see if my bumps clear out by itself?
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Stardusty:

That is strange that you had a mild reaction (Maybe) while on the minimalist too. Just to be sure I would discontinue using it until after your period has ended and then you can be sure if it is actually the MMU causing the bumps or not.

I checked the ingredients in the Minimalist vs. Lumiere veena velvet and they are basically the same. But the Fantastic finishing powder & the Jump Start primer have two additional ingredients: Kaolin and Calcium Carbonate. Maybe one of these is the problem.

It also appears the Mica in Lauress Minimalist is different than the Mica in Lumiere. (Apparently there are several different types of Mica) Soooo....maybe the Mica?

I don't think the Titanium Dioxide or the Zinc Oxide is the cause because I have used the Titanium in SS before and had no reaction and the Zinc is supposedly great for sensitive skin and is said to be calming for the skin.

Still searching for answers

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi fairlady, I hope it's my period that's causing the bumps but I can't be sure yet. But even though if it's not the Lauress Makeup, I might have second thought about using it. I feel that it looks nice in certain lights. sigh I don't know... might use it for another week or so to decide. I'll definitely update then and see.
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard good raves about UGloGirl mineral foundation but haven't tried yet

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Stardusty & Others:

I emailed Lauren (Owner of Lauress MMU) about the problem I experienced and she was super fast about replying back to me. I think she figured out the cause of my bad reaction. Here is her reply:

I think we have found the culprit! Just this week, actually, I have been contemplating a reformulation of our primer and finisher to remove the KAOLIN CLAY because I have recently heard this can cause bumps to appear on some people’s skin. It didn’t occur to me to ask about these products, but as soon as you mentioned you were using them I had an “AH HA” moment! I cross referenced the other brands you have used without reaction and none of them contain kaolin in the foundations. I believe you can continue to use the foundation without problems and recommend you stay away from Kaolin clay in powder leave-on products.

If you would like, I will send you samples of the reformulated Primer and Finisher to test later this week (have to formulate them first). I am so sorry this caused you problems. I am going to e-mail you a coupon code that you can use on your next order (or if you want to save it for a future order that is fine also) for 25% off your total order.

Thank you so much for contacting me and please let me know if you have any other problems after discontinuing use of the primer and finisher.

Sincerely,

Lauren

It makes sense. Like Lauren said - none of the other MMU products I have used in the past contained Kaolin. I really liked her foundation and because she was so concerned & provided outstanding customer service I think I am going to give the foundation another try. I will let you know in a few weeks if all went well.

[i]

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |