Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
DIY Disincrustation Solution
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
I figured I'd post the homemade Disincrstation Solution we used in Esthetics School. Smile Disicrustation helps soften oil plugs [comedones] and make extractions easier to minimize skin trauma. Should be used in conjunction with steaming.

Disincrustation Recipe [very simple]
1 teaspon/5 mL - Baking Soda
8 oz./240mL - Distilled water

Mix baking soda and water, then soak cotton pads [or a paper facial mask] and apply to the affected area for 7-10 minutes.

Hope some of you find this useful!

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I assumed this was about crusty scalps or something! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
I was confused at the title too! My conclusion is it's a cleansing thing when you want to extract pimples, right?
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I was confused at the title too! My conclusion is it's a cleansing thing when you want to extract pimples, right?

Yes, it softens blackheads and pimples for an easier less traumatic extraction. Smile

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have a clogged pore on my chin that is threatening to turn into something bigger. I think I may go pick up some distilled water and baking soda and try this!

When does the steaming part come into play...before application, during, or after?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I have a clogged pore on my chin that is threatening to turn into something bigger. I think I may go pick up some distilled water and baking soda and try this!

When does the steaming part come into play...before application, during, or after?

Use the disincrustation before steaming the face. It'll totally help clean out that pore! It's the same recipe we used for Facials in Esthetics school!

HTH!

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Nemo!AtTheDisco wrote:
Use the disincrustation before steaming the face. It'll totally help clean out that pore! It's the same recipe we used for Facials in Esthetics school!

HTH!

Fabulous...I'll let you know how it goes! Very Happy

5% products discount

Mon May 26, 2008 3:25 am      Reply with quote
I thought baking soda was a no-no for skin due to it's "high" pH (alkaline) when compared to our skin barrier (slightly acidic?)

I'm surprised it is used as a facial...but I'll be the first to admit my knowledge on skin care is very limited.
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
gumgirl wrote:
I thought baking soda was a no-no for skin due to it's "high" pH (alkaline) when compared to our skin barrier (slightly acidic?)

I'm surprised it is used as a facial...but I'll be the first to admit my knowledge on skin care is very limited.

The alkalinity of this product is what helps loosen clogged pores. If you are very sensitive, I wouldn't use this solution. It is meant for extremely congested skins or acneic skins. If you are mature, dry or sensitive, I wouldn't use this product.

sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I dont feel comfortable with the idea of using BS on my face. Afterall, I use it with vinegar to clean my house. Paula Begoun used to rec hydrogen peroxide as a toner but then she said now that it can cause free radical damage. I dont know how using the HP and BS as she recs that as a scrub cannot cause some sort of damage or drying when they are used close together.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
I dont feel comfortable with the idea of using BS on my face. Afterall, I use it with vinegar to clean my house. Paula Begoun used to rec hydrogen peroxide as a toner but then she said now that it can cause free radical damage. I dont know how using the HP and BS as she recs that as a scrub cannot cause some sort of damage or drying when they are used close together.

There is no HP in Nemo's recipe....it is distilled water and BS.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:

The recipe calls for 5ml baking soda/ 240ml distilled water. The BS is very diluted, and you're only leaving it on for a maximum of 10 minutes. I've used other Disincrustation solutions, such as Dermalogica's Prof. Scaling Fluid which I found much more drying & irritating than the homemade one.

In all instances, what works for one skin may not work for anothers. You should never do anything your not comfortable with.

sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
sakura wrote:

There is no HP in Nemo's recipe....it is distilled water and BS.

I should clarify PB recs BS as a scrub and HP as a toner. I think if you are using both though separately it might be too harsh on the skin. Luckily Nemo's recipe is diluted with water and has no HP.
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Beth,

I recall you mentioning some of the oils you use to moisturise, maybe almond oil and others? Are they just 100% pure oil and do you just put a thin layer on once a day?

Thanks Smile Sal
peanuthead

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy I happened upon this discussion and being the Instructor that I am, noticed the issues with disincrustation and wanted to add my 2 cents worth of information.

Using baking soda and water for this purpose is not harmeful to the skin. In fact many "Go Green" Estheticians are now using baking soda as a replacement for microdermabrasion crystals!

Baking soda diluted as in the recipe above used with steaming does infact help to "De-grease" the sebum (oil)plugs and aid in an easier removal from the skin.

A WORD OF CAUTION make sure the skin is warm and pliable BEFORE attempting to extract ANY comedone (black head) from a pore. WHY?[ It will aid in removal and will protect the skin from possible brusing or scarring. If the skin is cold and tight or stiff the edges of the pores will be too. This may result in the pore opening over stretching or even causing a tiny tear which can result in scarring.

So, with all of that, baking soda is safe for the skin when used with common sense and reason. It is, after all, a natural mineral.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:10 am      Reply with quote
For the disincrustion recipe with baking soda. I was wondering if i could replace the distilled water, with 100% aloe vera that has been distilled into a liquid?
happyAThome
5% products discount

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have always used baking soda on my face as a scrub in the shower however I have noticed a difference in the types of name brands of the baking sodas.

Arm & Hammer has more of a scrubbing effect than the store brands such as the Walmart brand. The Walmart brand is powdery.

I thought BS is PH balanced? I use it under my arms to remove deodorant build up and well...you know...down there too.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 22, 2009 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
OH thanks so much, I was just looking into the dermolica scaling fluid, which is $80 a bottle, thanks so much for saving me the money! I will be trying this next time!
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I will definately be trying this on a few blackheads that are on my chin.....Thanks Nemo!

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
Starbar

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Nemo, I will be giving this a try today. I'm new here but I love this place there is so much useful information here.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I've been using baking soda as an exfoliating scrub for face and body for many years... with just good results. It is one of the products that has many amazing properties and ways of use. As for the exfoliating scrub, a quick google will show many, many, many pages that will appear with it used that way.
Thanks Nemo, what I didn't know was that it softened the debris in the pores, so very interested in knowing about that. I like to steam my face every so often to feel I'm cleaning my pores better -don't actually do anything to them, except maybe pushing a bit in the nose area to get a little guck out, just let the steam open them and let them 'sweat', so I'll certainly try out the BS diluted in distilled water before my next steaming session.
I didn't know either about the Hidrogen Peroxide used as a toner!! Must learn more about that!! Laughing
rocilvi

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
How do you use baking soda as a replacement of microdermabrasion crystals?

In fact many "Go Green" Estheticians are now using baking soda as a replacement for microdermabrasion crystals!
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
peanuthead wrote:
Very Happy I happened upon this discussion and being the Instructor that I am, noticed the issues with disincrustation and wanted to add my 2 cents worth of information.

Using baking soda and water for this purpose is not harmeful to the skin. In fact many "Go Green" Estheticians are now using baking soda as a replacement for microdermabrasion crystals!

Baking soda diluted as in the recipe above used with steaming does infact help to "De-grease" the sebum (oil)plugs and aid in an easier removal from the skin.

A WORD OF CAUTION make sure the skin is warm and pliable BEFORE attempting to extract ANY comedone (black head) from a pore. WHY?[ It will aid in removal and will protect the skin from possible brusing or scarring. If the skin is cold and tight or stiff the edges of the pores will be too. This may result in the pore opening over stretching or even causing a tiny tear which can result in scarring.

So, with all of that, baking soda is safe for the skin when used with common sense and reason. It is, after all, a natural mineral.

Hi Rocilvi, if this is the post you're asking about... it has been the first and only since 2008...
Nevertheless I agree with what she posts...
I still use BS to exfoliate and as deodorant, and checking out other BS uses.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |