Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate Dangerous?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 1:22 am      Reply with quote
What's everyones opinion on SLS?
I have heard numerous times that it's dangerous
http://www.healthy-communications.com/slsmostdangerousirritant.html

but then other places say its safe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_laureth_sulfate

Almost every cleanser contains this & also almost all shampoos contain it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 2:32 am      Reply with quote
These ingredients are not dangerous however, for some people, they can cause irritation. And for this reason, many companies no longer use these ingredients as there are substitutes which are just as good at cleansing without causing any irritation to the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 am      Reply with quote
They're just really harsh cleansers. It's best to stay away from them, but they're not going to kill you.
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that. I was a little worried.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Lauryl Sulphate is in toothpaste and that what makes it foam. Since I have been using lauryl sulhate free toothpast I had stopped getting mouth ulcers which have plagued me for 45 years!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 8:54 am      Reply with quote
These ingredients are in ALMOST every product you find out there. Shampoo's and face cleansers for sure. Unless you got on the hunt for all natural or organic, you will find them They can irritate though Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 8:58 am      Reply with quote
almost all shampoos containing SLS dry my scalp and hair out being too harsh Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 am      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
These ingredients are in ALMOST every product you find out there. Shampoo's and face cleansers for sure. Unless you got on the hunt for all natural or organic, you will find them They can irritate though Sad

It's definitely in my body wash (and any random hand soaps) and it's possible that it's in my toothpaste, but that's it. I don't use shampoo, I wash my hair with a mix of Suave hair conditioner, honey, water, and apple cider vinegar. I make my own cleanser that's mostly made of honey.

Even if you don't make your own cleanser, there are plenty of gentle facial cleansers out there that doesn't use sulfates. You can even find a sulfate free shampoo, it'll just probably be more expensive.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:

It's definitely in my body wash (and any random hand soaps) and it's possible that it's in my toothpaste, but that's it. I don't use shampoo, I wash my hair with a mix of Suave hair conditioner, honey, water, and apple cider vinegar. I make my own cleanser that's mostly made of honey.

Nimue - I have seen you being an eager spokesperson for the use of honey in skin- and hair care. What kind of honey do you use? I suppose it has to be some kind of liquid honey. The one you get in a supermarket is pretty solid.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

Nimue - I have seen you being an eager spokesperson for the use of honey in skin- and hair care. What kind of honey do you use? I suppose it has to be some kind of liquid honey. The one you get in a supermarket is pretty solid.

I guess I'm the resident honey spokesperson! I'm spreading the word! Smile I love honey and it's been so awesome for me than I want other people to be just as happy as I am. Of course it's not going to work for everyone- there's no miracle product that works for absolutely everyone- but I think it's worth trying. (Also, some people have allergies to pollen, and in that case honey would be no good)

I don't think the honey I use is particularly special- it's just the one that's easiest and cheapest for me to get. I buy it in bulk! I buy a huge 80 oz jar of honey at Costco- that's five pounds (or 2.27 kilograms)! It cost around 7$. It's an amazing deal. It says it's Dutch Gold Clover Honey. It looks like the company is Dutch Gold and they're based in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It says it's pure honey and it's US Grade A. I've heard really good things about Manuka honey, and I think that would be better, but more expensive. As long as it's pure honey with no additives it'll be doing good things.

I'm guessing that the honey you get in the supermarket will be about the same thing, maybe it'll be a different brand. It's ok if it's solid. It's supposed to be really thick. I use it with mixing it with stuff.
rowmare
5% products discount

Mon May 26, 2008 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I don't use shampoos anymore, either. I occasionally do a conditioner wash ('cone free like suave naturals) when I need a deep cleaning, but mostly use either just hot water or water and BS, rinsing with ACV & Water. I haven't tried honey yet, but you have me curious, Nimue!

My hair has been so amazing since I quit shampoo.

For my face, I use both the ocm and soaps I make myself using veggie and nut oils - mostly coconut, olive and palm with a dash or two of fancier oils like avocado, shea butter, etc.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I use Suave naturals too- usually the coconut one. I would think baking soda would be drying though... My hair has also gotten a lot better since I've mostly stopped shampooing (I used shampoo maybe 2-3 times in the last 5 months). I'm growing it longer now, it usually got bad looking whenever it got past shoulder length, but now it's longer than it's ever been and it looks great. Only thing is I can't ever tell anyone that I don't shampoo my hair, cause they look at me like I'm a crazy person!

I'm too lazy to do a wash, then a rinse, etc so I just mix everything together... It seems to work. Carekate (she's gone now, and I was a lurker when she was active but she's an authority on DIY) advocated honey and apple cider vinegar rinses for shiny hair.

OCM sounds like a good method that works for a lot of people, but I'm too lazy for it! Very Happy

rowmare wrote:
I don't use shampoos anymore, either. I occasionally do a conditioner wash ('cone free like suave naturals) when I need a deep cleaning, but mostly use either just hot water or water and BS, rinsing with ACV & Water. I haven't tried honey yet, but you have me curious, Nimue!

My hair has been so amazing since I quit shampoo.

For my face, I use both the ocm and soaps I make myself using veggie and nut oils - mostly coconut, olive and palm with a dash or two of fancier oils like avocado, shea butter, etc.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:

I guess I'm the resident honey spokesperson! I'm spreading the word! Smile I love honey and it's been so awesome for me than I want other people to be just as happy as I am. Of course it's not going to work for everyone- there's no miracle product that works for absolutely everyone- but I think it's worth trying. (Also, some people have allergies to pollen, and in that case honey would be no good)

I don't think the honey I use is particularly special- it's just the one that's easiest and cheapest for me to get. I buy it in bulk! I buy a huge 80 oz jar of honey at Costco- that's five pounds (or 2.27 kilograms)! It cost around 7$. It's an amazing deal. It says it's Dutch Gold Clover Honey. It looks like the company is Dutch Gold and they're based in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It says it's pure honey and it's US Grade A. I've heard really good things about Manuka honey, and I think that would be better, but more expensive. As long as it's pure honey with no additives it'll be doing good things.

I'm guessing that the honey you get in the supermarket will be about the same thing, maybe it'll be a different brand. It's ok if it's solid. It's supposed to be really thick. I use it with mixing it with stuff.

Oh, Nimue, many bees have to work very hard to supply you. I will check out honey. I always listen to spokespersons. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

Oh, Nimue, many bees have to work very hard to supply you. I will check out honey. I always listen to spokespersons. Wink

Laughing May that's part of the reason why I'm so appreciative- so much work goes into it. And I'm not even selling it. I guess it's more like I'm evangelizing. It's just that most products are so much more expensive, and this is something that anyone can afford. Even if you don't like using it on skin or hair, you can still eat it. Smile You can't lose!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I am sure I can find products that don't contain, but then they have other "missing" items that I DO need. Not washing my hair with some sort of shampoo is simply not an option for me. I have to wash my hair twice. Once to remove any build up, and secondly to get it clean. I think have to condition my hair with two different types of conditioner. One wash out and one leave in. I am not sure that these ingredients "bother" me too much, because not many things irritate my skin, but then seem to strip a lot and for that I have to over compensate on my moisturizer, because I have acne products that I HAVE TO use that also dry my skin Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
From someone who had went natural, non SLS and DIY EVOO and all kinds of DIY Scrubs, facial oil, MMU. Tried Bathing and washing hair in mud. Laughing

It is really personal, I went natural and eventually I quit, it was too difficult to find items 100% natural. In my country, it is hot and humid and to keep watching the items to prevent it become rancid. It did not improve my issues, I was still dropping alot of hair, infact it became worst. My skin improved for a while and then I broke out. I get oil-break throu by mid-day, but some called it the glow Laughing *shrugs*

Really, you need to listen to your body, if you can faring better with non-SLS products, continue it. If SLS products is working for you, stick to it. If it ain't broken why fix it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I guess that one possible reason why I get away with not using shampoo may be because I also don't use any styling products in my hair, so it's not like there's that much to wash. I have found that when I don't add apple cider vinegar to the mix my hair does feel the difference, so maybe that's my cleansing ingredient.

It looks like you have a cycle of cleansing really thoroughly and then moisturizing just as thoroughly, just like with the acne products. But whatever works for you, that's what works for you! Smile Too much experimentation with new methods can be really frustrating and annoying.

My routine is really simple, and I like that. I don't use cleansing shampoos, but I also don't use moisturizing conditioners. The conditioner based mix I make does a little of both, and that seems to leave my hair happy.

bergquis wrote:
I am sure I can find products that don't contain, but then they have other "missing" items that I DO need. Not washing my hair with some sort of shampoo is simply not an option for me. I have to wash my hair twice. Once to remove any build up, and secondly to get it clean. I think have to condition my hair with two different types of conditioner. One wash out and one leave in. I am not sure that these ingredients "bother" me too much, because not many things irritate my skin, but then seem to strip a lot and for that I have to over compensate on my moisturizer, because I have acne products that I HAVE TO use that also dry my skin Sad
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
mrspiggy wrote:
If it ain't broken why fix it.

Exactly! Very Happy

It must be a lot harder to presere natural products in a really hot climate... Is it too much of a hastle to keep stuff in the fridge? That's what I do with a lot of items I'm not currently using.
sally72
5% products discount

Tue May 27, 2008 3:05 am      Reply with quote
I really hope this is not true! These ingredients are usually present in almost all cosmetic products. We will have to throw away lots of bottles if this thread is true! And I never like to waste!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 5:02 am      Reply with quote
sally72 wrote:
I really hope this is not true! These ingredients are usually present in almost all cosmetic products. We will have to throw away lots of bottles if this thread is true! And I never like to waste!

In this thread nobody claims that Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) are dangerous. Both are synthetic chemicals found in numerous shampoos and personal care products.

I found this article (see link below) that can explain why Sodium Laureth Sulfate has got a false reputation of being an agent that can cause cancer. Back in 1998 an unsigned chain letter started circulating via e-mail. Without any documentation to back up the claims, the author warns against the use of products with SLES and claims that it causes cancer.

According to this article, SLS is a harsher agent than SLES, but none of them are known to be dangerous when used in personal care products. However, they are possible irritants.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa090998.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
sally72 wrote:

In this thread nobody claims that Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) are dangerous. Both are synthetic chemicals found in numerous shampoos and personal care products.

I found this article (see link below) that can explain why Sodium Laureth Sulfate has got a false reputation of being an agent that can cause cancer. Back in 1998 an unsigned chain letter started circulating via e-mail. Without any documentation to back up the claims, the author warns against the use of products with SLES and claims that it causes cancer.

According to this article, SLS is a harsher agent than SLES, but none of them are known to be dangerous when used in personal care products. However, they are possible irritants.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa090998.htm

Wow! My MIL is all about organic. She told me not to use SLS, etc because of the cancer thing and now I know where it came from!

I do notice that when I use organic shampoo my hair has more body. Sometimes I'll run out and use the regular kind and it feels like my hair is not as clean and it's heavy. I do use a drugstore brand of conditioner though.
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I've found this shampoo in our local grocery store - it's brand name is SHIKAI .

It's organic and I don't see any SLC on their ingredients.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped using SLS in shampoo because it was taking the color out of my hair. It faded it within a week of getting my hair done. Now I try to use Aveda or Abba shampoo. Also I use skincare without itI feel its to harsh on my skin since I have rosacea.
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was worried about it. I am not as worried about the shampoo as I am about my cleansers. I'm at work not- can't wait to get home to see if the Dermalogica stuff I ordered contains this. I really hope it doesn't. It may not be harmful but if definitely strips your skin of moisture and will irritate it (whether it shows or not).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
seno wrote:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was worried about it. I am not as worried about the shampoo as I am about my cleansers. I'm at work not- can't wait to get home to see if the Dermalogica stuff I ordered contains this. I really hope it doesn't. It may not be harmful but if definitely strips your skin of moisture and will irritate it (whether it shows or not).

I don't think any dermalogica products have sulfates.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |