Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hormonal vs. Product cause for pore congestion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
How do people know if their acne/congested pores are caused by hormonal/internal things vs. the products they are using on their face(sunscreen, certain ingredients, etc..)?

And does the cause of the problem (hormone vs. product) dictate a different approach for treating??? For example, if you do the birth control approach to control acne but it's ultimately being caused by what you're putting on your face, do the pills still help even if you are still use the product?

Thanks.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Well one way to tell is if you have a regular cycle, and say, you know you usually break out the week before your period starts, that's likely to be hormonal.

If you start using a new product and break out but it's not the time of the month where you normally break out and you're not stressed more than usual then it could be the product.

I don't approach any pimples differently though- a pimple is a pimple to me. I think other members will be more helpful than me though.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hormonal acne tends to be cystic or just around that time of the month. BCP can only be helpfull with hormonal acne and wont help if products are causing your acne.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Well one way to tell is if you have a regular cycle, and say, you know you usually break out the week before your period starts, that's likely to be hormonal.

If you start using a new product and break out but it's not the time of the month where you normally break out and you're not stressed more than usual then it could be the product.

I don't approach any pimples differently though- a pimple is a pimple to me. I think other members will be more helpful than me though.

I agree with these definitions, but I do approach them a little differently...

If they are hormonal, then I need to find a way to prevent them...for me, that is closely monitoring my skin about a week before my period. If I see ANYTHING that looks like it could remotely become a pimple, then I use my Proactiv for a few days to avoid a breakout.

If they are product related, then I try to figure out which product it may be, and then either remove it or use it less frequently. And I treat the breakouts with Proactiv until they are gone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 12:04 am      Reply with quote
hormonal acne isn't always cyclical, unbalanced hormones make the skin predisposed to acne, and it could also make one sensitive to products.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 2:27 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
hormonal acne isn't always cyclical, unbalanced hormones make the skin predisposed to acne, and it could also make one sensitive to products.

I'd agree with that. I have hormonal problems and therefore suffer from hormonal acne. I wish I had them only "at time of the cycle". My acne appear whenever they want Sad .
One thing though - hormonal acne usually appear in the lower part of the face, around the jaw-line.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
sally72
5% products discount

Tue May 27, 2008 3:15 am      Reply with quote
Hormonal breakouts are usually related to times around your period, during pregnancy, after beginning the pill/going off the pill and also in menapose. If the breakouts start around one of these times than it is usually hormonal. If not then I would guess it would be the product. Try switching products and see if your skin's quality improves!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |