Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Why is my hair so brittle?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Help!

I am at my wits end with my hair. For some reason, for the last few years my hair and nails have been extremely brittle. This is not due to hair dying, chemicals, damage, using the wrong products, etcetera...it is the hair growing out of my head. My hair has no elasticity whatsoever, it snaps with the slightest tug. I've chopped it off many times in the past few years to start over with "healthy" hair, but to no avail.

My only explanation is that there there must be something internal going on (a deficiency? malabsorption?). I know that as we grow older, our hair and nails get weaker, etc. but this started in my teens, and I am 23 now. I've dabbled in taking a few vitamins and supplements (MSM, iron, silicon, biotin, EFAs multi V), but I've seen no changes. I don't know if I just need a sustained regimine, or if there is something else going on that vitamins won't help. Admittedly, I don't have the healthiest diet possible, but I generally don't eat meat, I *try* to stay away from processed foods, and try to eat as many fruits and vegetables possible. I'm thinking of next trying cysteine and/or a mineral/calcium supplement. Oh, and I've also noticed that I've been having increased knee/joint pain, I don't know if this could be related...?

I'm so depressed about this. I hate having short hair, but alas, I can't get it to grow with it breaking all the time. I'm not sure what my next step should be. Has anybody experienced this before? Does anybody have ANY ideas? Sad thanks
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut, the first thing they say when you are having hair problems is to make sure that you are getting enough protein...whether that is coming from meat, legumes, etc. is up to you.

Nails reflect the same protein scenario, plus they also reflect if you are not getting enough fat in your diet.

Have you considered using fitday.com for a short period to really track what you are eating from a protein/fat standpoint? It IS a hassle, but it can quickly depict a protein/fat deficency if you are detailed about what you enter.

HTH!

5% products discount

Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 am      Reply with quote
There are a few things that can cause joint pain & brittle nails/hair.

One is Hyperthyroidism, but there are a few other medical conditions as well that cause these symptoms.

Run, don't walk! to the Doctor. I don't know if you have insurance or not, but the sooner you get it checked out the better (both for your health and pocketbook).

Good luck - and keep us posted!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 5:02 am      Reply with quote
I agree that you should see your dr.

Diet does play a big role in how your look and feel. If you are not getting a well balanced diet it could easily show in your hair/skin and how your feel.

You mentioned you dabbled in some supplements...it can take a few months to notice a change sometimes, especially with your hair. But before doing anything else I'd see my dr.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 5:12 am      Reply with quote
I agree about going to the doctor ASAP. There are a number of medical conditions that can cause this in addition to thyroid problems. For example, celiac disease (which is an intolerance to gluten--all wheat, barley, etc.) will prevent you from absorbing nutrients even if you eat right and take supps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Coconut.

What strikes me, is that you don't eat meat. Then you are most likely to get a deficiency in protein and vitamin B. That will show on your hair and nails.

You told that you take Biotin, but that's only one of many vit B. I would take a vit B complex. Vit B is water soluble and won't build up in your body and cause toxicity (unless you eat extreme amounts).

Of course it's a good advice to see the doctor and get your levels of minerals and vitamins measured. Good luck to you. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 7:21 am      Reply with quote
ETA: Vitamin B12 deficiency is particularly common among vegetarians. The level of B12 in your body can be measured.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 7:47 am      Reply with quote
I would start out with taking a good multi and calcium + D everyday. Start adding more protein to your diet. Fish, nuts, beans, and healthy fats like olive oil. Even peanut butter. Eat some flaxseed meal. Yogurt has protein and calcium.

Use a shampoo and conditioner with protein in it. Use a leave in with protein.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
ETA: Vitamin B12 deficiency is particularly common among vegetarians. The level of B12 in your body can be measured.

Vit D deficiency is also very common with vegetarians. You should take 1000 - 2000iu each day, but don't go crazy because there is a toxicity level with Vit D.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I'd suggest a good quality high potency fish oil...

Horsetail tea has also helped my hair.

If you can find a naturopathic doctor you may have more luck with tweaking your diet, they tend to use pharmaceuticals as a last resort and tend to hone in on the cause of the problem instead of just masking symptoms.

Good luck!
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I agree with above posts - you should go to the doctor and improve your diet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely go to the doctor and have some things checked out: thyroid levels, vit. B levels, Vit. D levels. You don't state your age but no matter what your age, you may also be going thru hormonal changes. Talk to your doctor about that too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Definitely go to the doctor and have some things checked out: thyroid levels, vit. B levels, Vit. D levels. You don't state your age but no matter what your age, you may also be going thru hormonal changes. Talk to your doctor about that too.

She said she's 23 now in her post.

Coconut, I would suggest taking fish oil or flax seed oil, and hair vitamins. I use the GNC hair, skin, & nails. It does take about 6 weeks before you notice any difference. Also drink plenty of water.

Also, I read that brittle hair indicates that your hair is dry and it needs moisture. Don't use shampoo and conditioner with protein as that will cause your hair to be more brittle. However, you can increase your protein intake internally. Try taking some whey protein supplement.

Other than brittle hair, do you have other symptoms?
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with bethany and septembergirl.

Externally jojoba oil is good for brittle hair it is full of minerals and vitamins.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
lunarmm wrote:

She said she's 23 now in her post.

Sorry, I didn't notice that in her post. Embarassed

I still recommend going to a doctor to make sure nothing serious is not going on - like a vitamin deficiency or hormonal imbalance.

For hair moisturizing and softening, there are tons of recommendations on EDS. I like coconut oil as a hair mask/conditioner.

I also got Rene Furterer carthame pre-shampoo treatment in a Beauty Test Tube. It's not anything I would've bought on my own because of cost but I've noticed a distinct difference since using it. I've used 5 of the 6 vials included and will replace this product and am also looking into using other Furterer products in the future.

It sounds like the karite (shea) line might be best for Coconut. Click on the section that says You Naturally Have and choose your hair type/concerns:
http://www.renefurterer.com/common/0,4320,12981751_15228633_0_en_US_0,00.html?vid=15227969
You usually can only get the Furterer lines in salons but I'm seen it in C. O. Bigelow store, Douglass Cosmetics, and on Ebay. And you can look for a local place that carries their products at their website.

5% products discount

Fri May 30, 2008 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
I second not using protein shampoo and conditioner. I have been having major issues with my hair and went to the doctor and it turns out my iron is very low. I don't eat meat either, but I do get iron from greens and lentils etc..I think what plays more of a role is sugar intake. I am a sugarholic and I think it interferes with nutrient absorption. No doctor told me that, just my personal opinion.

I have been using this treatment called thriven. It has really helped strengthen my hair and I am pretty happy with the way my hair is growing in now. I was even losing my hair and had two bald patches that are almost grown back in. If you want to read more about thriven and how to improve the condition of your hair you can read the blogwww.killerstrands.blogspot.com . I have mentioned the blog before in a few other posts because it has really helped me out a lot.

I have also been taking liquid iron supplements and using SLS free shampoo and not using conditioner. I know it sounds weird to not use conditioner but so many people are having more and more hair issues and using more and more deep conditioning treatments everyday to try to help, but I think it may be having the opposite effect. I was very hesitant to not use conditioner, but I believe it has improved my the condition of my hair. I was just going to try it for a few days because I thought my hair would fall out if I didn't use conditioner. But it didn't and simplifying my daily regimen has worked wonders. I also only wash my hair every other day and do not blow dry or use any straighteners or curling irons.

I am determined to get my old hair back. I know what a toll it can take on women to have hair issues and I hope I can help a little. Also, if you are only 23 now and having these problems, just think about what may happen as you get older if you don't get things under control now. Please don't ignore what your body is trying to tell you. Hopefully you will go get your blood drawn and see what's going on. Good luck to you and keep us updated on how you're doing.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 8:45 am      Reply with quote
anjim wrote:
I have also been taking liquid iron supplements and using SLS free shampoo and not using conditioner. I know it sounds weird to not use conditioner but so many people are having more and more hair issues and using more and more deep conditioning treatments everyday to try to help, but I think it may be having the opposite effect. I was very hesitant to not use conditioner, but I believe it has improved my the condition of my hair. I was just going to try it for a few days because I thought my hair would fall out if I didn't use conditioner. But it didn't and simplifying my daily regimen has worked wonders. I also only wash my hair every other day and do not blow dry or use any straighteners or curling irons.

Interesting regarding not using conditioner.

I've gone the opposite direction and become interested in conditioner only washing. I haven't gone there yet but I am using much less shampoo and using the Furterer pre-shampoo conditioner. I am seeing much softer, more moisturized hair Very Happy

5% products discount

Sat May 31, 2008 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I know it sounds crazy to not use conditioner, but the treatment I use twice a week conditions it enough. I don't expect anyone to jump on the bandwagon, but if you have tried everything else it couldn't hurt, right? Smile
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, you all are amazing! thanks for all the advice. I will go to the doctor asap.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:51 am      Reply with quote
YOur diet definitely affect the hair quality, maybe you should have a more healthy and balance diet.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |