Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Protected Skin Vs Greater Risk of Disease - Vitamin D
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Nobody can have failed to have heard the great hoo-ha about the importance of vitamin D and the widespread deficiency that some doctors believe is rife in the Western Hemisphere.

Those at risk are essentially those who don't see enough sun on a regular basis. It seems that 15 minutes or so everyday is all that's needed to make thousands of IUs of this 'miracle' hormone. The catch is that above a particular latitude, vitamin d can't be made in the winter months meaning that our bodies are playing catch-up and this is compromising our immunity and apparently increasing our risk of cancers, osteoporosis, heart disease etc.

Here's my dilemma: Until the widespread media coverage on vitamin D, I have tried to shield myself from vitamin D as much as possible. My dermatologist impressed upon me how important sun protection was. My, perhaps,misguided logic was that the more I covered my skin, the younger my skin would remain. I am medium toned and never fail to wear a high PPD sunblock and now I'm terrified to have a blood test for fear of discovering that I've been a fool and compromised my health for many years. Vitamin D is even supposed to be important for gene replication so it may be possible that I've even damaged my facial skin by not ever letting it see sunlight or even worse have raised my susceptibility to cancer.

Does anyone else shun sunlight in the hope of maintaining youthful skin? It's fine to screen windows as vitamin D can't penetrate glass but do you ever for example, postpone outdoor chores until the sun is setting?

Vitamin D3 supplements are of course an option
but with cod liver oil there is a risk of consuming PCBS whilst the other alternative is consuming lanolin orally and possibly risking exposure to the hormones and pesticides that the sheep have been exposed when dipped. Yeh, they're supposed to clean the vitamins but how can you be sure? Those are the only ways of getting enough vitamin D3 (supposedly far more absorbable than vitamin D2)other than eating 2 large portions of Alaskan salmon a day.

A 15 minute walk in the sunshine everyday suddenely seems more preferable and pleasurable but what to do in the winter? What are your thoughts on this dilemma, informed ones?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:16 am      Reply with quote
My solution to this dilemma is to always protect my face, neck and chest by using hats etc and sun screen with high protection to avoid premature aging in these areas.

To build up deposits of vit D in the body, I would give my arms and legs 15 min of sun exposure without sun screen every day. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:07 am      Reply with quote
The sunscreen industry and the dermatologists have put such fear of the sun's rays that most people are petrified of the sun and do not see anything wrong with putting on chemically laden sunscreen year around. My mom is in her 60's and she works outdoors in her yard all summer along on and off during the day. She has never had a sunburn and has pretty skin for her age. She also has never worn sunscreen in her life! Twenty minutes of walking in the sun so our bodies can have the badly needed Vitamin D is very diff. than lathering ourselves in baby oil and basking in the sun for hours to get a tan!
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I think this is really important information to me who always avoid sun all the time. I was only thinking about protecting my skin from the sun..I didn't realize Vitamin D benefit from sun. (how foolish I am Mad Confused

since I have a very sensitive skin to sunlight from young age, I become pale and I never enjoyed the sun. I should go out and expose myself for 15 min everyday from now on. Thank you thank you...posting this..
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:43 am      Reply with quote
YOu can get Vitamin D from Sunlight, howver, UV light would damage your skin which induce Skin Cancer. YOu can get Vitamin D from many food, likes, milk, egg.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Fat fish like mackerel, salmon and sardines and probably red meat, as well, are the main sources to get vit D through our diet. Eggs and fortified milk and margarine are other sources.

Vit D is oil soluble and may cause toxicity when taking really high amounts of supplements. However, the levels seem to be too low with most people.

The advantage of getting vit D through sun exposure is that you can deposit very high levels of the vitamin without having to fear toxicity. Some cancer doctors have recently claimed that sun exposure will increase the risk of skin cancer, but they still recommend moderate exposure as it decreases the risk of quite a few other and more serious types of cancer.

15 min of sun exposure without sun screen every day is recommended by doctors (but I would protect face, neck and chest). Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

15 min of sun exposure without sun screen every day is recommended by doctors (but I would protect face, neck and chest). Smile

and hands!!! you don`t want your hands to age prematurely and to become crepey and covered with age spots, do you?
I`m putting now ss on my hands as well Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 am      Reply with quote
My doctor says you only need your forearms exposed to the sun for the fifteen minutes.

He's also told us that vitamin D supplements are a good substitute for regular exposure to sun. I choose the supplements. I don't want leathery forearms.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
The sunscreen industry and the dermatologists have put such fear of the sun's rays that most people are petrified of the sun and do not see anything wrong with putting on chemically laden sunscreen year around. My mom is in her 60's and she works outdoors in her yard all summer along on and off during the day. She has never had a sunburn and has pretty skin for her age. She also has never worn sunscreen in her life! Twenty minutes of walking in the sun so our bodies can have the badly needed Vitamin D is very diff. than lathering ourselves in baby oil and basking in the sun for hours to get a tan!
Here is some very useful info on vitamin D and sunlight:www.naturalnews.com/003069.html
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:

and hands!!! you don`t want your hands to age prematurely and to become crepey and covered with age spots, do you?

No, Aiva, I don't want an old lady's hands in my mid 30-ies!! I promise to apply sun block, wait 30 minutes (inside the house!!) to let the cream absorb, before I put my mittens on and very, very carefully walk out in the sun. I hope I will be able to hold a stopwatch in my mitten so I don't exceed the 15 minutes. Anxious

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your interesting replies.

As one poster said, choosing selective areas to expose to the sun is probably the best option, for example, arms and legs whilst still using a sunblock on the more delicate face and decolletage.

In the winter, what better excuse for a sunny holiday than the medical requirement of ensuring vitamin D levels are topped up to their optimum level. Laughing

P.S: Suprisingly even dairy foods are relatively low in vitamin D in comparison with recent recommendations of doses between 800-2000IU for optimum health. The richest food source of vitamin D is sockeye salmon at 739IU per 4oz serving.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=110
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Just to clarify - my last post was written with a smile Very Happy Wink

I agree 100 % that it's just as important to protect hands as face, neck and decollete. Unfortunately, I tend to forget... and am certainly at risk of developing age spots and crepey hands, as described by Aiva.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Aiva wrote:

No, Aiva, I don't want an old lady's hands in my mid 30-ies!! I promise to apply sun block, wait 30 minutes (inside the house!!) to let the cream absorb, before I put my mittens on and very, very carefully walk out in the sun. I hope I will be able to hold a stopwatch in my mitten so I don't exceed the 15 minutes. Anxious

you`re allowed to exceed the 15 min sun exposure on your hands while wearing mittens Laughing
even more - you`re allowed not to wear sunscreen at all while wearing mittens! Laughing
what a freedom you have! aren`t mittens much much better than a sunscreen??!!! they have no waiting time and no sun exposure limitations! Laughing
by the way - is it that bad with summers in Norway that you have to wear mittens? Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
I get enough sun exposure without even trying, even wearing sunscreen... I'm not worried about not getting enough vitamin D. I think I have a happy medium.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:48 am      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:

by the way - is it that bad with summers in Norway that you have to wear mittens? Shock

Oh yes. I believe the main reason why so many Germans spend their summer holiday in the North of Norway, is to prevent premature aging. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Aiva wrote:

Oh yes. I believe the main reason why so many Germans spend their summer holiday in the North of Norway, is to prevent premature aging. Wink

definitely! Laughing
stupid me, I still prefer south and seaside Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:36 am      Reply with quote
So, I guess we wind up with brown forearms, and the rest, face, neck, chest & hands sorta pale Laughing
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Gayle wrote:
So, I guess we wind up with brown forearms, and the rest, face, neck, chest & hands sorta pale Laughing

right! looking somewhat strange, but with gorgeous skin! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Gayle wrote:
So, I guess we wind up with brown forearms, and the rest, face, neck, chest & hands sorta pale

LOL, but it's nothing a spot of self tanner can't sort out!

On a serious note, did any of you read about the Austrian man (Josef Fritzl) who kept his own children in a dungeon under his own house for the whole of their life? When the poor children were brought out, they were extremely weak from lack of vitamin D, with signs of rickets and severe dental problems. The police said that the little boy was delighted to have seen the sun. Tragic.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1914157/Austria-Dungeon-children-speak-their-own-animal-language.html
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:

On a serious note, did any of you read about the Austrian man (Josef Fritzl) who kept his own children in a dungeon under his own house for the whole of their life? When the poor children were brought out, they were extremely weak from lack of vitamin D, with signs of rickets and severe dental problems. The police said that the little boy was delighted to have seen the sun.

It's so horrible what the poor Elizabeth Fritzl and her three children have been through. This story has been reported in the national newspapers in Norway almost every day since the tragedy in Austria was disclosed.

Her father must be one of the worst psychopaths ever with no empathy or ability to repent of what he has been doing. We can only hope the best for Elizabeth and her children in the future. Now, it's Joseph Fritzl's turn to be locked up.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutely agree, the British papers were gripped by the story here in the UK too. What punishment can ever be enough for that psychotic man? How could the wife and others not have known about the secret children? It defies belief.

By the way, your command of English is excellent Septembergirl!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
That story is so hurrifying! I can't wrap my mind around it. Just awful.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
I know, it's too hideous, every time I see that monster's Fritzl's face the in newspaper photos, it turns my stomach. One day their story will make such a compelling film. Hope that the children who are still living manage to find peace and happiness eventually.

Didn't intend to disturb you with the details Nimue!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
OMG when I first read that story around a month ago I was traumatized! I am a claustrophobic and when the size of the area that poor helpless girl was kept in for 24 yrs. and repeatedly raped by that monster is just unthinkable. No amount of punishment is enough for that piece of garbage. I wish they would put him in a similar size, darkened padded cell with no human contact except for daily torture for the rest of his life!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:

By the way, your command of English is excellent Septembergirl!

Thank you very much! That's indeed flattering. Wink

To wind up the thread, literally spoken, I found this post by a nutritionist, explaining a few things to consider before starting to take vitamin D supplements.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/nutrition/12694/do-you-need-a-vitamin-d-supplement/

Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |