Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My skin is a mess, help me please!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mrk

Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I'm new here and have searched the net in an attempt to improve the state of my skin, I intend to go to the docs but i doubt that will be productive given the state of the NHS (uk National Health service)...

I dont even know how to describe my probelm, firstly my skin has always been really dry and flakey-ish, esp around my stubble area. Then there are the spots, which are starting to multiply more and more. Then the pimples, those from shaving, and then the ones that in less than a month have taken over my forehead (i started using some complexion pills i bough in the supermarket and as soon as i stopped using them my forhead looks like a mountain range...)

I should mention that i use an exoliating facewash and moisturiser, but I dont even know if it helps anymore (and no doubt, the effects of stopping to use them will be similar to that of the pills...)

I really dont know what to do, I wish i could afford to go to a proper dermatologist but i barely have anough money to buy textbooks for uni, so thats not an option. Anyway, someone here must have at least some idea of how i can imporve the terrible state of my skin because it's really starting to become a problem, and I cant exactly afford a chemical peel anytime soon...

thanks to anyone who makes the effort.

k.
spf

Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps your products aren't the right ph to be effective. I've read that aha and bha products need to be a certain ph to exfoliate effectively. As for products, I've seen alot of people like MD Forte cleanser and Clearasil Acne Fighting moisturizer because they work well and are cheap. Proactiv might be another option but it's more expensive. You could also send an email to the aestheticians here who could recommend some products for you. They are really helpful. Good luck.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi mrk,

It must be tough, I know us women moan about spots but I imagine it must be a real pain if you have to shave that area & have problem skin. Since you're on a budget I'll try and keep it to whats in the UK to start with.

Could you tell us the skinwash & moisturiser you are using at the moment?

First thing - If you can keep up with those complexion pills & they're working for you then use 'em. Also make sure you're getting plenty of water. As you'll know being a smart uni guy Wink those pills are helping your body cleanse, the extra water does this too. It is likely to be hormonal, the extra water helps rid your body of the excess.

Now to the tricky part with shaving.
If you use a razor make sure it is sharp and clean.
If it were me I would shave less often because 1. it is spreading the acne bateria 2. it scrapes off the skin. 3. Less often gives your skin a chance to heal.

I would be tempted by an electric as is it not so close a shave BUT I'm not sure how clean you can get the foils...

If you want to shave everyday I would recommend King of Shaves oil for guys - one of them contains tea tree which is a natural spot zapper. Oils are more moisturising and give a better protective barrier. Massage it gently and scrubbing can overstimulate the skin to produce more oil, then shave down your cheek and not up!

A couple of ways to tackle the other problems because most 'spot' washes are quite drying and most 'soothing' washes have oils in them.

Personally I like the L'oreal sebocalm I think it's called. Confused Head over to Boots, face washes, it's in a light blue can. It helps to clean the pores but it's not too harsh.

Another choice might be Dermalogica The Bar. It looks like a regular bar of soap, will cleanse without drying out your skin.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica_cleansers.htm

They also do a nice light moisturiser called Active Moist http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica_moisturisers.htm

They also have a post shave Barrier cream - but I've not tried it.

If it were me I would try and avoid too many harsh products as stripping away the oil from your skin makes it pump more oil out. Plus you have dry patches which may or may not be caused by too harsh a product - your message doesn't quite make that bit clear.

As an evening treatment I SWEAR by Creme 15 from Yonka, it really helps sooth 'hormonal' skin. They also do a lotion called 'Juvenil' which seems to draw out the crap in your skin and zap spots, don't be put off the girlie boxes - this stuff works.

Don't be put off by going to the doctor or even a salon - Dermalogica is very good brand and if you find a good Dermalogica salon, you can discuss your concerns with them and they can hopefully give you some product suggestions. Ask for samples.
Just using the right cleanser can make the world of difference.

Sorry this is such a long post but you've raised some complicated issues.

If you've got any questions please do ask.
Mabsy

Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
As Eve said, could you please let us know what you're currently using? Then we can get a better picture of your routine and can try to suggest some improvements.

YonKa Creme15 might be a good way to go, MD Formulations make some good AHA/BHA products (e.g. Clearing Complex Masque) and Dr Hauschka Rose Day cream is really good for dry flaky skin. If what you're describing is caused by irritation then Mario Badescu healing cream could be helpful as well as the Decleor Harmonie Essentiel cream.
mrk

Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
hey guys

well thanks for the response, kinda over whealmed by so many products to be completely honest, but hopefully i'll get the right combination!

im currently using a daily expholiating face wash from Johnson and Johnson "clean and clear" range (http://www.cleanandclear.com/products/facial_clean/daily_pore_clean.shtml) and a pretty much basic but slightly dry and thick moisturiser from Nivea soft (http://www.nivea.co.uk/subbrandcontents.php?pid=13&psid=0&)

I am really desperate to find a "cure" so to speak, i'm going docs later this week if i manage to get an appointment,but i doubt she'll refer me to a dermatologist and just gimme any old mass manufactured stuff.

Just one question; SO far all the suggestions have been creams and stuff for spots and moisture, but is there any healthy non harmful interman remedy? i mean, i dunno, is there a certain type of vegetable that is particularily good for the skin? yes i really am this ignorant which is probably why my skin is like this...

Also, regarding the kind of weird red "mark" think on my forehead, is there any sort of pigmentation cream that can be bought to help that?

I am so lost, but thank you so much for helping, i dunno how many of these products i can get in the uk tho...

oh, would maybe posting some close up pics help the diagnostic?

again, thanks...
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:48 am      Reply with quote
It can be confusing - there are so many products. Many of us have found what works for us by trial and error.

The temptation is to use too harsh a product on spot prone skin. This in turn may be agrivating your dry skin - using too heavy a moisturising could be aggrivating the spots. It can be tricky balance.
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:46 am      Reply with quote
mrk wrote:

Just one question; SO far all the suggestions have been creams and stuff for spots and moisture, but is there any healthy non harmful interman remedy? i mean, i dunno, is there a certain type of vegetable that is particularily good for the skin? yes i really am this ignorant which is probably why my skin is like this...

If you do a search on the internet you'll find lots of stuff about different foods that are good for the skin. Also, lots of foods that aren't. Still, like skincare products you'll find that different foods can cause skin problems for different people.
I've recently found by cutting out dairy products and caffeine from my diet that my skin has improved noticeably. This might not be the case for you though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/complementary/conditions_acne.shtml

http://www.acne-advice.com/diet/sinners.shtml

You may find some of the advice on these sites useful.
Finding a cure for problem skin seems to be a case of trial and error. Both with your diet and your skincare regime.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:33 am      Reply with quote
mrk,

I would not use Nivea soft on your face...It's quite heavy and could be clogging up your pores causing your 'bumps' Make sure that any moisturizers you put on your face say non-comedgenic (spelling?) That means that it won't clog pores!!!

I read in another post on this forum about some type of algae pills that are good for acne....do a search, it was fairly recently
Mabsy

Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:19 am      Reply with quote
I think there are many different foods and supplements that can benefit your skin (if your diet is currently deficient).

In terms of your current skin care I think I would drop the Nivea and go with another product. I would recommend the YonKa Creme 15 but there are lots of others that might work for you if this is not accessible and you don't want to buy it online. Just try to go for something lighter and also perhaps with some Glyclolic Acid in it.
Gingerly
5% products discount

Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Zinc and B5 can be particularly helpful for blemish-prone skin.

Also here's a regimine that has helped many:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/feature2002/0,2479,s1-5489,00.html?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |