Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IPL takes another victim!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, the victim is me! Crying or Very sad I spent over $600 on 5 IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatments and got absolutely NO improvement in my rosacea. The only change I did get was increased pigmentation on my right cheek (whether the treatments created this or brought out existing sun damage, I'll never know). (sigh!)

I wish I would've discovered this forum prior to starting IPL - I would never have done it. But, wishful thinking kept me going on. I would think, "Well maybe one more treatment and it will improve." The technician said that she's never had a client that had 0 results and that she was surprised my mild rosacea didn't improve. She gave me a complimentary treatment which, of course, did nothing and then shrugged her shoulders and showed me the door. Mad Crying or Very sad

Thanks for allowing me to vent! And if any of you out there are considering IPL, I recommend against it. I think the chances of it improving your skin condition are slim and considering the cost, it's no solution by any means.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. What is your skin color? I heard that IPL works well for white skin but maybe not so for people with dark color skin.

I have not tried it but my doctor was pushing it. I'm glad I am reading this because I am not going to try it now.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
My doctor recommended it too. My skin is quite fair and, from what I understood, I was the "perfect" candidate for IPL. I'm glad I can save you from being taken in. To be fair, I'm sure there are sucess stories out there but there's also A LOT of less than impressed folks too!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
What a shame. I'm so sorry you didn't get the result you were looking for..

Did they recommend a microdermabrasion beforehand? From what I read about IPL, I think it's really necessary to remove the dead skin cells prior to each treatment.

Considering you didn't get any result, maybe you can gently 'demand' a few more treatments..If they say no, you can tell them you'll be glad to share your experience with others... Bad Grin

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:
My doctor recommended it too. My skin is quite fair and, from what I understood, I was the "perfect" candidate for IPL. I'm glad I can save you from being taken in. To be fair, I'm sure there are sucess stories out there but there's also A LOT of less than impressed folks too!

I feel the exact way about Fraxel, to the tune of $3500. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
CMAYC wrote:

I feel the exact way about Fraxel, to the tune of $3500. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Isn't Fraxel the same as ActiveFx except that ActiveFx is only for one treatment while you need a series of treatments with Fraxel?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
IPL DOES work - it is an extremely effective treatment for rosacea, broken caps and pigmentation. If your skin has not responded - I place the blame firmly on the operator. The trouble with IPL is that there are too many people out there giving treatments that don't know what they're doing.

It's very important to go to a reputable doctor who will GUARANTEE results.

I'm sorry you've had this experience - I would definitely go back and complain and ask for some kind of refund. However, I would not let this person give me another treatment.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC,I am so sorry that it was such a bust for you. I really hope there is some way for him to "make good" on his promises.
You should get something for your money.
Thank you for sharing your experience. We all help each other here.

Smile
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I am sorry to hear about your ipl experience. I did 2 laser treatments and decided not to continue. I didn't see any change with my skin and get blisters each time with the weakest setting.

Your ipl treatments were quite cheap. Mine was $300 a pop for just the apples of my cheeks. Was it done at a spa or at your derm?

Hope your skin recovers soon Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
CMYAC, I feel so sorry for you. This is really frustrating...

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
IPL DOES work - it is an extremely effective treatment for rosacea, broken caps and pigmentation. If your skin has not responded - I place the blame firmly on the operator. The trouble with IPL is that there are too many people out there giving treatments that don't know what they're doing.

It's very important to go to a reputable doctor who will GUARANTEE results.

I'm sorry you've had this experience - I would definitely go back and complain and ask for some kind of refund. However, I would not let this person give me another treatment.

wow, thanks for that, keliu...

i was almost giving up on the laser thing for broken caps, when i read that so many other ppl made the same experience as me - that it did NOT work...

i think, the "money-back"-thing is something rather impossible here in europe, at least i have never heard of that...

but when a beautician or a doctor offers treatment with such a laser device, they will get offered the handling of it by the manufacturer... why it should have been handled incorrectly

also the treatment looked like a very simple thing to do, just place the laser on the skin, and "shoot"?
WHAT could be done wrong with this Question

maybe it would be important to note what laser (brand and type) was used, because this could make the difference as well Question
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I don't like to have IPL done by a beautician, I prefer a qualified doctor. The first time I had it done was for broken caps. The doctor recommended that I have one very intensive treatment - he told me that should be enough but, at most, I would need one more. The treatment cost $600 and was not a "lunch-time" treatment. It hurt like hell and afterwards I felt quite shook-up - my face was extremely red and burning. As the day wore on my face blew up like a balloon even though I was applying ice-packs - my eyes were little slits and a few bruises started to appear. It took a good 7-10 days for the swelling to go down and for my skin to lose all the discolouration that the treatment leaves. However, I was extremely happy with the end result and didn't go back for a follow-up treatment as my broken caps were all gone.

So my point is that with IPL it's a case of "no pain-no gain". Beauticians tend to offer a course of treatments because they use the laser on a very low setting and this means a much less invasive treatment with less downtime. But then you don't get the results.

My advice to anyone wanting an IPL treatment is to go to a reputable doctor and thoroughly discuss with him/her what your expectations are and tell them that you would rather have a single more invasive treatment than a course of milder ones.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:03 am      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. What is your skin color? I heard that IPL works well for white skin but maybe not so for people with dark color skin.

I have not tried it but my doctor was pushing it. I'm glad I am reading this because I am not going to try it now.

If you are a person of color, even the slightest of olive or yellow, I would not recommend IPL. I went to a Medspa, where I had IPL for hyperpigmentation. I should have NEVER been given this treatment because I am medium asian skintone. This was a long time ago, and I guess the technician just wasn't trained properly. I wasn't as into skincare as I am now and didn't know anything about IPL either. I had tolerated cooltouch fine, so I figured I wouldn't have any problem with this.

Immediately afterwards, I knew something was really wrong. I got extremely burned by the IPL procedure on my cheeks and forehead, and resulted in dark brown stripes afterwards, which took a good year to fade and look decent. The girl who did it felt horrible and gave me some microdermabrasions and topicals for free which did help a little bit, but they did not refund my money.

That was the most frightening thing that ever happened to me because I thought I was scarred for life. I will never go near another laser for that reason.

ETA: I'm not saying all lasers are bad, just educate yourself thoroughly and check your technician's training and credentials before you jump into it. It can make all the difference in your results.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I don't like to have IPL done by a beautician, I prefer a qualified doctor. The first time I had it done was for broken caps. The doctor recommended that I have one very intensive treatment - he told me that should be enough but, at most, I would need one more. The treatment cost $600 and was not a "lunch-time" treatment. It hurt like hell and afterwards I felt quite shook-up - my face was extremely red and burning. As the day wore on my face blew up like a balloon even though I was applying ice-packs - my eyes were little slits and a few bruises started to appear. It took a good 7-10 days for the swelling to go down and for my skin to lose all the discolouration that the treatment leaves. However, I was extremely happy with the end result and didn't go back for a follow-up treatment as my broken caps were all gone.

So my point is that with IPL it's a case of "no pain-no gain". Beauticians tend to offer a course of treatments because they use the laser on a very low setting and this means a much less invasive treatment with less downtime. But then you don't get the results.

My advice to anyone wanting an IPL treatment is to go to a reputable doctor and thoroughly discuss with him/her what your expectations are and tell them that you would rather have a single more invasive treatment than a course of milder ones.

Yes, I agree with Keliu..go to a experienced doctor for later treatment. My friend got a laser treatment for her hyperpigmentation treatment in the spa and after the treatment, she got worse. Need to be very careful for this kind of treatment.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Keliu is very correct and her experience mirrored mine in the swelling and bruising. I've had 6 with excellant results every time, but always with down time involved. The last IPL I had a month ago, I mentioned to the owner of the spa who was doing it that I had had the extreme swelling last time but I did not want to swell up that bad this time because I didn't have the down time. My hubby thinks I scared her off because I ended up with NO RESULTS at all. The reason was, she turned the settings way down. She told me she was, but assured me that I would still get results, just not as visible. Bull, and I called her on it and told her I would not come back to have her waste my time. She agreed to do another at a discount another time.
So my point is, that the results, as Keliu said, are in the hands of who is performing the procedure. The settings are adjustable even if it's just pointing and pulling the trigger. They are supposed to do a test shot on your cheek to measure reaction of your skin by the "raising" of the area and determine the settings to put it at for best results.
It's a shame to go thru the pain and have no gain.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
ruk1 wrote:

If you are a person of color, even the slightest of olive or yellow, I would not recommend IPL. I went to a Medspa, where I had IPL for hyperpigmentation. I should have NEVER been given this treatment because I am medium asian skintone. This was a long time ago, and I guess the technician just wasn't trained properly. I wasn't as into skincare as I am now and didn't know anything about IPL either. I had tolerated cooltouch fine, so I figured I wouldn't have any problem with this.

Immediately afterwards, I knew something was really wrong. I got extremely burned by the IPL procedure on my cheeks and forehead, and resulted in dark brown stripes afterwards, which took a good year to fade and look decent. The girl who did it felt horrible and gave me some microdermabrasions and topicals for free which did help a little bit, but they did not refund my money.

That was the most frightening thing that ever happened to me because I thought I was scarred for life. I will never go near another laser for that reason.

ETA: I'm not saying all lasers are bad, just educate yourself thoroughly and check your technician's training and credentials before you jump into it. It can make all the difference in your results.

How right you are, Boski. I can't tell you often I want to scream when women of color start dabbling in the glycolic peels as well. Great warning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
To give you an idea of what the burns looked like, look at this. Except mine were even darker and on my FACE, the worst possible place to have this. Impossible to cover with even the heaviest of concealer.

http://www.medicalspamd.com/the-blog/2007/9/23/medspas-laser-burns-and-ipl-horror-stories.html
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Gawd almighty!.. Shock Shock Shock

These things can all really be deadly in the wrong hands. Thanks for sharing that boski.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
ruk1 wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to warn me before I went with IPL. I have olive skin, so I guess IPL won't work for me. This is good to know as I was about 75% ready to make up my mind to go for it.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to warn me before I went with IPL. I have olive skin, so I guess IPL won't work for me. This is good to know as I was about 75% ready to make up my mind to go for it.

I can't believe your doctor was pushing this treatment on you, having olive skin. The risk is not worth the benefit. I was very lucky in that I recovered totally without scars but others have gotten 3rd degree burns and/or hypopigmentation which is permanent.
racheli
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
I can't believe your doctor was pushing this treatment on you, having olive skin. The risk is not worth the benefit. I was very lucky in that I recovered totally without scars but others have gotten 3rd degree burns and/or hypopigmentation which is permanent.

does that mean, that
easily tanning skin tends to have damage (much more than light, less pigmented, or skin less "prone to" pigmentation)Question

i mean, i would understand, when skin which is NOT good pigmentated would react with those burns, as on the pic, but olive/tanned skin should be less sensitive...

anyone knows, why olive/tanned skin get burns from IPL Question

i was told, the ipl treatment would cause me scabs, and therefore bought the camouflage make up right there...
but i never had even noticable redness after it.. just still the caps...the treatment lasted 20 to max 30 minutes, and it really did hurt...
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I had a few IPLs before for my mild redness on my cheeks. I don't see anything at all afterwards. But my redness on the face is like off and on more like a flush sometimes. After reading horror stories like this, I don't think I'm gonna go near a laser again. Shock
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
racheli wrote:
boski wrote:

does that mean, that
easily tanning skin tends to have damage (much more than light, less pigmented, or skin less "prone to" pigmentation)Question

i mean, i would understand, when skin which is NOT good pigmentated would react with those burns, as on the pic, but olive/tanned skin should be less sensitive...

i was told, the ipl treatment would cause me scabs, and therefore bought the camouflage make up right there...
but i never had even noticable redness after it.. just still the caps...the treatment lasted 20 to max 30 minutes, and it really did hurt...

The IPL targets pigment (light energy is absorbed by melanin), so the more pigment you have, the more likely for burns. The whiter skin you have, the less risk you have with IPL. I'm sure asian and mediterranean skin types have been successfully treated with IPL, but it's much more critical that the settings be correct. I had my procedure done quite a long time ago, so maybe the machines are better and technicians are more knowledgeable. Just be aware of this possible risk.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
racheli wrote:
boski wrote:

does that mean, that

The IPL targets pigment (light energy is absorbed by melanin), so the more pigment you have, the more likely for burns. The whiter skin you have, the less risk you have with IPL. I'm sure asian and mediterranean skin types have been successfully treated with IPL, but it's much more critical that the settings be correct. I had my procedure done quite a long time ago, so maybe the machines are better and technicians are more knowledgeable. Just be aware of this possible risk.

Also, as I understand it, just having the gene from one of your parents is enough to be cautious. For example, my Mom was quite dark and I am olive skinned but have blue eyes. I would still need to be very cautious.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
So sorry, your IPL treatments didn't work out.

For Bethany of the Fraxel $3,500 loss, that is HORRIBLE! I'd debated over Fraxel but decided not to because of the pain people experienced.
For you to have to go through that, spend all that money, and not be happy with results is a nightmare. I appreciate you sharing with us, so no one else will have that happen.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |