Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Nature vs Science
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I was just wondering what people thought about the results that can be acheived with more natural skincare lines as opposed to the results that you can get with more "scientific" skin care. I have tried many different natural skin care lines such as Clarins, Jurlique, and CARE. I don't really think that any have made any difference in the little expression lines that I have so I've been thinking about trying something else with more "active" ingredinats. I like the thought of using a more natural skin care line but has anyone had any visible results with them or should I be trying to include something more?
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I would be looking into natural skincare lines if I were in my teens or early 20-ties. But beeing 30 and having crows feet and under eye lines and one little expression line, I`m inclining to more "active" ingredients.
So I do think that natural skincare is the best option for maintaining young and healthy skin, but natural ingredients are too weak to make a difference if you have some problems with your skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have been to both worlds.. but I find that after I switched to "chemical" based or functional skincare my skin problems improved a lot.

Also, the idea of natural skin care is somewhat of a mess. Lots of naturally derived ingredients (used by both "natural" brands and "scientific" brands) like glycerine, plant extracts always involve some sort of chemical reaction to derive them anyway.

I think if you have an existing skin condition, like acne, impaired barrier, chronic inflammation and dryness... you risk worsening your problems by continuing with "natural" products if they are not completely effective. Don't be stubborn and just use something that has been well researched and tested!

As for preventing the onset of aging, I'm definitely sticking with functional products. Perhaps if my health and skin were in homeostasis with no impairment to any biological processes (which is impossible I think) then I might use simple things that have not been refined.
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've been looking at the 302 system or the Karin Herzog line. These may be a happy medium, nothing too harsh I don't think but I'll do more research on each of these. I'm thinking I may have to add more active ingredients to help with the signs of aging!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried the all natural route more then once and it just never worked for me. My skin always turned into a disaster.

I think natural is great if you can find the right products that work for you but I don't think natural is always better. Many natural ingredients can also be irritants.

I think its an individual thing.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
There was just an interesting article on this very topic on FutureDerm.com

http://www.futurederm.com/2008/06/12/controversy-why-natural-skin-care-isnt-always-better/

Jen, I have both 302 and KH, and think that they are both very good choices.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
nature or science Question
I love trying new things. But I just refuse to buy anything $100. an oz. Not talking
I have learned a few "bad" things that I dont want in my products.
I am going to buy L-ascorbic acid and make fresh daily. And Beta Glucans make a difference for me,so I will add to whatever moisturizer I might be using that day.
Whatever works
Very Happy
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:43 am      Reply with quote
The book "The New Science of Perfect Skin" was a real eye opener for me regarding natural ingredients. I had really never thought about it before but for example, in the book they mentioned testing five different batches of rosemary extract form five different suppliers and each was vastly different from the other. They also stated that the potent part of rosemary is ursolic acid so just seeing rosemary extract in the ingredients may be meaningless but seeing ursolic acid would mean that the ingredient is really the best form of rosemary extract.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:46 am      Reply with quote
I believe most natural/organic skin care lines don't contain sufficient amounts of active ingredients to improve the skin.

There are a couple of exceptions, like the British brands The Organic Pharmacy and Henry Tianus. They have organic, cosmeceutical ingredients in their products. I have also been eyeing Kimberly Sayer's Vitamin C Serum Gel with 12 % vitamin C derived from rose hips.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:49 am      Reply with quote
What a great discussion. I personally am just switching to natural lines because of the added health risks associated with certain ingredients.

I'm not sure if they work fantastic yet as I have only been switching over slowly from about 2 months ago and I am nearing 30 so I don't have lines or wrinkles to correct yet (well not too many Wink ).

I think a big thing to note is that cosmetic companies have found natural ingredients to work a certain way and then increased these ingredients in products to make them more potent. They have also chemically created similar compounds to the natural compounds to again increase their effectiveness. If you really want to go into the science of your beauty products then I guess the best way would be to actually understand the ingredients in your products and where they can naturally be derived from...just a thought.

Oh and I guess I should also say that I have tried SO MANY unnatural products and several of these didn't work either, so I agree that it is definately based on the individual Exclamation
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I like nature products, coz I am afraid if I use too much artifical products, those ingredients will accumulate inside my body and hurt my health
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
There was just an interesting article on this very topic on FutureDerm.com

http://www.futurederm.com/2008/06/12/controversy-why-natural-skin-care-isnt-always-better/

Jen, I have both 302 and KH, and think that they are both very good choices.

Thanks for your input! I think I may try the HK first only because it is easier for me to get but I would defnitly like to try the 302 as well. Both sound really good!
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:07 am      Reply with quote
wancy_2000 wrote:
I like nature products, coz I am afraid if I use too much artifical products, those ingredients will accumulate inside my body and hurt my health

You almost have this the wrong way round. Poorly formulated natural products could do you far more harm as they can end up being toxic. If you want natural, then stay with reputable companies and there won't be a problem.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:35 am      Reply with quote
thx a lot...
MissCay
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 am      Reply with quote
I have tried both. I think use (medical) chemical skincare is effective.

Actually I think the breakdown of all natural stuff also is in chemical form (all things in the world would basically a chemical form) so why don't I directly use chemical skincare.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:55 am      Reply with quote
I use whatever works. I prefer simpler/natural formulations, but will not turn down a chemical concoction that erases a decade. I am weary of science-based treatments where the long-term effects are unknown. I think a combination of both approaches often provides good results. I also agree that the company makes a huge difference. For example, PSF seems to combine a natural and scientific approach.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I would prefer to use natural products and have tried a few different natural brands but everytime have found that they don't really address my skin concerns. I think some of the ranges are great if your skin is already in good condition. I do think though as the years go and and since there is a continued call for more natural skincare lines, the products will in improve in their effectiveness.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:04 am      Reply with quote
From my own personal use, natural/organic skin care has not ever given me any visible results. I have spent a small fortune on natural skin care because I liked the concept of organic ingredients and their benefits to my skin. Many times, my face became worse (very irritated) and I realized that essential oils and lavender extract among other things were detrimental to my highly sensitive skin.

As with Bethany, I switched to 302 skin care and Karen Herzog and for the first time in many, many years I see visible improvemnt.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Jeannine wrote:
I use whatever works. I prefer simpler/natural formulations, but will not turn down a chemical concoction that erases a decade.

Completely agree!!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I think both nature and science will work, it depends on whether the product fits. Unfortunately, biology and medical researches are not so well developed----we still know very little about life, as a result, our experiences from ancient time(natural stuffs--herbs, EO) are still necessary for skin care. As long as I know, many biological and medical researches are focused on ancient medicine, and it turned out to be the scientists found quite a bit of important compounds, a good example is lycopene from tomatoes.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I like natural skincare. It is more safe. natural ingredients are good for the skin. making some own products at home from natural ingredients is a kind of pleasure.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have a great deal of respect for some of the Chinese plant ingredients. I know that Remergent uses an ingredient from a Chinese plant and I recently watched a documentary on ancient Chinese medicine which discussed the use of a plant over 2000 years ago to cure fever. It was only a few years back that the ancient prescription was found and when reproduced in the same manner, was found to be a complete cure for malaria. In the documentary, an 88 year old chinese man was practising medicine in the old Chinese way and I would love to know what he used on his skin and what he ate because at 88, he did not have one wrinkle. His face looked like he was 20.

5% products discount

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Being constantly pregnant or breastfeeding, as well as quite young, I must say I am very partial to *effective* natural treatments and ingredients. I have had very little success with strongly chemical/researched lines and a lot of undesirable side effects, and since I have a lot of years ahead of me for products to accrue in my system I figure I can save the big guns for when I actually need them and what I am using is not going to impact my kids directly.

What I think people forget is true naturopathic and holistic treatments tend to have science behind them as well, there are solid chemical and physical reasons certain natural compounds do certain things, so I think the aspect I appreciate in a bit of a deconstructed skin care approach is that I have greater control over exactly what compounds I am using, in what concentrations, and for what purposes. I am the chemist, not some company, and I can tailor these things specifically to my needs. It can be a shot in the dark, but it can also be research intensive and a very purposeful skin care method - just without the high overhead and access to a handful of proprietary compounds.

Cost, control, and safety are my main reasons for working with bulk ingredients and going 'natural', as it were. But there is a time and place for every treatment type, and as we age and our hormones and physical chemistry change (thus changing our skin!) not one approach will always yield the best results. It's a balance and an evolving thing for each individual, as it should be!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:30 am      Reply with quote
i believe - but its just in my mind Wink - strongly, that it would be possible to create excellent anti-aging products, just based on natural ingredients...

because, maybe one reason: everything, even non-natural was eventually created from something natural... Question
Inlife
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Nature products do not help anti-aging. Science products may.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |