Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: The best and worst subtle self-tanning lotions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
The best is Nivea Sun-Kissed Firming Moisturizer. The scent is very light and unoffensive (citrusy, kinda like grapefruit) and the texture is light and silky, but moisturizes perfectly. It doesn't rub off on my clothes, either. The color develops very subtley, so there's not a chance of those "oops, parts of me are tan but others aren't" mistakes.

Which leads me to the WORST self-tanner I've used, and it's also the most expensive, from the Bath and Body Works True Blue Spa line, or something like that. THe name of the product is Glow and Steady and it has spf 15 added to it. At first I thought it was ok, the smell was coconuty but not strong, and it seemed like it dried quickly. But, I soon realized it was rubbing off on my clothes, even turning some off-white lounge pants almost completely orange. I mean, I would dress 30 minutes after applying it, and I would find orange marks on my pants! How long do they think you have to wait around for your self-tanner to dry? I also have some orange socks.

I still have the receipt, and plan on asking for my money back.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Lately I've been using Loreal's Sublime Glow daily moisturizer. I use the one for fair skin every day or every other day. When I want a serious tan boost, I use the one for medium skin. I like both okay, but am interested in finding something better. I'll have to give Nivea's a try.

The worst I've tried is the daily tanning moisturizer for fair skin from Aveeno. It smells atrocious and hardly tans at all.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
just bought the nivea

it smells like....starbust

that grosses me out in one way, because it makes my mouth water LOL, and the stuff the flavour starbust with must be the same as the stuff they use in this nivea lotion! grosss!!!!

anyways will update...
jones10021
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Aveeno is by far the worst one I ever tried, didn't love the Nivea either although it was much better. I'm awaiting anxiously to hear about something new, preferably something without parabens or other nasty chemicals!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I like Aveda Sun Source - it has the most believable golden tan and the smell isn't bad.

2nd choice is L'Oreal Sublime Glow. Gotta watch out tho, cuz it can streak. Color is good and smell isn't bad. Price is cheap.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the Dove one and I like it. The bottle is almost gone.

I just bought the Nivea one on sale today at SDM. I applied a little on my arms and I do like the smell.

The Jergens one that started the gradual tan rage works well, but I did not like the smell. It definetly has a "self tanner smell".
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:36 am      Reply with quote
For me, Jergen's looks a little too orangey. When it was the only game in town, I liked it, but since then much better has hit the market.

autumn95 wrote:
... The Jergens one that started the gradual tan rage works well, but I did not like the smell. It definetly has a "self tanner smell".

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I've only tried the Jergens Natural Glow and it is definitely orange. It was for fair skin tones. I was at the store yesterday and saw a lot of different kinds but I didn't want to buy another one that turned me orange.
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Plus the Jergens rubs off - I apply it in the morning and then that night after my bath, there are orange streaks all over my towel!!
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I also like the dove one...it didn't go orange on my asian skin like the vaseline or l'oreal lotions did!

The dove one also smells the least offensive to me...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Here's another vote for Dove - I've been using it for ages and it's so reliable. It's not too orange, doesn't streak and doesn't smell plus it's inexpensive. It also doesn't break me out, which allot of moisturisers do.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |