Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Tamanu oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone with feedback about tamanu oil and its use? Within a few days, I've run into it in more than one place so I thought I'd ask.

The other day I saw that Lauren Hutton has some tamanu oil products:

Tamanu Oil – 2oz./59 mL. reg. $30 sale: $24 www.laurenhutton.com/tamanu-oil.html
Ingredients: Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Calophyllum Tacamahaca (Tamanu) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

Quote:
35 years ago Lauren sailed into Bora Bora, after diving the South Pacific. Her skin was a mess – coral scratched, dry and scaly from too much sun. That night, a local angel gave Lauren her “healing oil” to try. Next morning every blemish was gone – vanished! Her scaly-burnt skin was juicy, smooth and plump again. She had been looking for it ever since and finally this Spring found it- Tamanu Oil!

Tamanu Oil is a natural oil extracted from Tamanu Nuts that can help heal scratches, acne and acne scars, sunburn, dry skin and can also be used to thicken your hair and is great for strengthening nails.

Tamanu Soap - 8 Oz./227 g. reg. $12 sale: $10 www.laurenhutton.com/tamanu-soap.html
Ingredients: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerine, Pumice, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Calophyllum Tacamahaca (Tamanu) Seed Oil, Red 33, Yellow 10.

Lauren Hutton site - tamanu reviews www.laurenhutton.com/productreviewstamanu.html

And then today I was at Vitamin Shoppe and they had a 1oz of tamanu oil (mixed with olive oil). I didn't buy it cause even discounted it cost $25+

New Chapter True Tamanu Oil $25.95
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=CN-7127

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have some of the pure oil. It has a very odd rather off putting scent. And I really don't know how to describe it. So I never use it. But I should try mixing it with another oil. I got mine at Whole Foods.
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
i bought some tamanu oil from mountain rose herbs once. after using it a few times on my stretch marks I thought i did see some improvements. then sadly i dropped the bottle on the floor and there goes my miracle in a bottle!
thanks for your post, now i think i'll make another purchase and see if my eyes were playing tricks on me or not! Very Happy
Artic_Mama
5% products discount

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:09 am      Reply with quote
Tamanu oil is absolutely fabulous for a number of things - I get ALL my oils from Mountain Rose Herbs and they have the basic descriptions and compositions of each oil they sell right on their website. If you find you have issues with the smell diluting it into a carrier oil or adding a drop or two of essential oil to your bottle may help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Artic_Mama wrote:
Tamanu oil is absolutely fabulous for a number of things - I get ALL my oils from Mountain Rose Herbs and they have the basic descriptions and compositions of each oil they sell right on their website.

Thanks for the info on a good source for the tamanu oil (and others), Artic Rose!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Artic_Mama, I saw in another thread that you recommend Tamanu Oil for red acne marks. Can I ask what else you use it for? Thanks!
Artic_Mama
5% products discount

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:12 am      Reply with quote
What else can you use it for? Let me dredge up my linkage!

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/tamanu.php

http://www.drugs.com/npp/tamanu-oil.html

http://www.medicinehunter.com/tamanu.htm

My favorite supplier for just about any bulk ingredient but especially carrier and essential oils is Mountain Rose Herbs. They're very competitively priced but in the four or five years I have used them I have never had an order problem, their products are ALWAYS fresh and potent, and the shipping is cheap. I *heart* them in a big way, and their information on the products and their interactions, contraindications, etc etc is top notch.

I hope this helps!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much Artic Mama! I've been really pleased with the effects argan oil has had on my skin (I posted a review yesterday), so I'm an oil convert and excited to try some new ones -- looks like we have a winner! And I appreciate knowing about Mountain Rose; my argan oil is from Josie Maran, and while I love it, it is pretty pricey... I think not having to go through a cosmetic co. would certainly help, so I'm glad to know you've had good experience with MR in terms of quality.
Artic_Mama
5% products discount

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:28 am      Reply with quote
They are the best - I haven't heard a bad thing about them across several beauty forums - considering how opinionated some individuals are that says something.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I ordered this based on Artic Mama's suggestion that it would help fade acne marks, and I love it!! I've only used it for two days, and I can already tell a difference in the lightening of the scars. (And I *never* see fast results and hate when reviewers say they were changed overnight!) But this is genuinely great for my skin; no breakouts so far either. I'm just using straight tamanu oil after cleansing and before bed. For the price, I think it's well worth a try!

I agree that the smell is off-putting (like strong soy sauce -- though, go figure, my husband actually kind of likes it...), but since I'm seeing results so quickly, I've decided I can definitely live with it. So excited, I just had to share! Very Happy

(I also posted on the acne mark thread, but wanted to make sure my comments made it here as well.)

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:47 am      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Just wanted to say that I ordered this based on Artic Mama's suggestion that it would help fade acne marks, and I love it!! ... (I also posted on the acne mark thread, but wanted to make sure my comments made it here as well.)

Thanks so much for posting the info on this thread as well, KBLang!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
I ordered some from mountain rose herbs, also. I'm using it on stretchmarks. It seems very very effective on improving skintone and thickness on damaged skin. It smells savoury/nutty.

I like it a lot.

I want some argan oil now! Something quite luscious about oils...
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the input on this one! I cannot wait to try it out on the old acne marks.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:55 am      Reply with quote
I just visited the Mountain Rose Herbs website, and the Tamanu oil was out of stock, both the small bottles and the bulk size. It's obviously popular...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I just visited the Mountain Rose Herbs website, and the Tamanu oil was out of stock, both the small bottles and the bulk size. It's obviously popular...

Mountain Rose was out a couple weeks ago too... I haven't personally ordered from Garden of Wisdom, but I've heard it's pretty good also and they have tamanu in stock for around $9 an ounce:www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/3987807/3779005.htm

Also,www.essentialwholesale.com sells bulk cosmetic supplies, and you can order a "sample" of tamanu (1 oz) for $5 (it's under Ingredients: Carrier Oils). The shipping can bite you if it's just a small order, but I placed a larger order with them and that's how I got the oil I'm using. No major difference on Day 3 (and I haven't turned into a princess yet either Laughing ), but I'll keep you updated on my progress after I've had a couple weeks with this. Hope it works for others as well!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
havana8

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Nature's Gift also has Tamanu (their quality is excellent):

Calophyllum (Foraha or Tamanu)
http://www.naturesgift.com/carrier_oils/calophyllum.htm
http://www.naturesgift.com/aromatherapycar_ord.htm
faithfan86
5% products discount

Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I was just curious because I have been looking for something to fade acne marks for awhile and someone on this post meantioned that they got theirs at whole foods? what brand was it? I almost want to run over there now instead of ordering it over the internet!

Amy
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
faithfan86 wrote:
I was just curious because I have been looking for something to fade acne marks for awhile and someone on this post meantioned that they got theirs at whole foods? what brand was it? I almost want to run over there now instead of ordering it over the internet! Amy

Hi Amy, I haven't bought any tamanu yet but I did post that I saw it on the shelf at my local Vitamin Shoppe store:

New Chapter True Tamanu Oil 1oz. $25.95
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=CN-7127
1oz of tamanu oil (mixed with olive oil). I didn't buy it cause even discounted it cost $25+ and I didn't know much about tamanu so I started this EDS thread.

5% products discount

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
yeah it was yogi i just found that bought it from whole foods.

Thanks for letting me know its at the vitamin shoppe, i saw your post higher up, i too wouldn't get it because its mixed with olive oil

Amy
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
I just recieved my order of tamanu oil yesterday and I am really impressed w/ it so far!

Great stuff! I wanted to use in on some blemishes I had that were just not healing very well, and in one day - WOW! Looking good so far. Will be gone in a day or 2 from how it looks. And they would've taken another week or so to go away on their own.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered from GOW! I can't wait to try it on some old acne scars and a bike scar that I have on my knee from mountain biking last week!!!! How is this best applied? In the AM or PM?
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
i wanted to order tamanu from mountainrose but they're out of stock, so i went for lauren hutton's instead. it's not pure, but i guess it's better than nothing Smile

i've been using it for only 3 days (in the evening only, i have oily skin and try to avoid oils during the day) and things are looking good. noticed my skin is plumper, and two small pimples on my cheek have deflated somewhat. am very pleased and will continue with this as my night-time moisturizer. as soon as this is finished, will go for 100% tamanu as my next purchase.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
I got my tamanu from GOW. Try there.

And I have to say WOW on the results of it so far.

Today (Monday) is the 3rd day of using the oil and the HUGE blemish I bought it for is all but gone. My DH teased me and said it was on the other side of my face (really couldn't see it anymore).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered a sample from Essential Wholesale for $5 (and some other stuff, of course)....but by the time I got around to ordering, my zits are pretty much gone! At least I have it for next time though.

http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product_p/416s.htm

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Tamanu Carrier Oil - Madagascar
http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/tamanu-carrier-oil-madagascar-p-1354.html

Tamanu Carrier Oil - Tahitian
http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/tamanu-carrier-oil-tahitian-p-1343.html
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |