Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Is it dangerous to use La Roche-Posay Anthelios everyday?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I am so confused. I thought that LRP produced some of the best sunscreens around. But then I read lots of information on this forum and elsewhere about chemical sunscreens being harmful to the skin and producing free radicals.

SO my question is, for everyday use, is it advisable to use a chemical sunscreen such as (for example)La Roche-Posay Anthelios Dermo-Pediatrics SPF 50+ Lait or is a physical sunscreen based on zinc oxide or titanum oxide better?

I have over the past few days spent hours searching for the right sunscreen and I am no better off than I was! Please help!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:22 am      Reply with quote
this was one of the reasond why I`ve switched from LRP Fluide Extreme 40 to all-physical Devita 30 with zink oxide.
I`ve also read that chemical sunscreens degrade after a couple of hours in the sun bombarding your skin with free radicals, more to that, chemical sunscreens often contain estrogen hormone-like chemicals which I wouldn`t like to put on my skin every day. There is enough evidence of these ingredients causing harm to human health.
and further - my skin felt like suffocating under LRP ss.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply Aiva. How have you found the Devita?

On the LRP website it explains how thier products are photostable and therefore would not degrade in sunlight. Perhaps someone could advise to what it is in the LRP sunscreens that would be harmful to skin if used over a period of time. The active ingredient I believe is Mexoryl, and from searching on the net I cant find anything that suggests it would be damaging. B

ut I'm sure I'm missing something.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Actually from what I'm aware, Avobenzone is the ingredient that will degrade after awhile under exposure to the sun. So that's why Mexoryl is added to the sunscreen to stabilize the Avobenzone so that you stay protected under the sun longer.

Of course with any sunscreen, if you're staying under the sun for long hrs, it's wise to reapply it.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
For what it's worth, my dermatologist recommended Mexoryl. He's a skin cancer expert from UCLA.I use it since I have had skin cancer.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies.

c4ward I am sorry to read you have had skin cancer. I hope you are fine now. Which sunscreen do you use? If your dermalogist has advised to use Mexoryl then surely it must be pretty safe?

I dont have a problem/issue with reapplying sunscreen, but I just want to use one that is safe for daily use without any extreme side effects.

Even the Loreal brand sunscreens have Mexoryl in them, in Boots yesterday I noticed quite a few with 4/5 star UVA rating. Still confused, for daily use, is it better to stick with physcial or to go for something with Mexoryl as key ingredient such as LRP?

Thanks for your help guys:)
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I'm fine now. Just a scar on my chest to remind me "NO SUN!" I had it ten years ago and haven't had any reoccuring.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:04 am      Reply with quote
i really like skinceuticals sunscreen as it is a physical barrier and lasts a long time. it has a slight sheen to it but not greasy so if you want a little mineral powder on top is perfect
Grace_K
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
The sunscreen discussion is very confusing for me. One says that chemical sunscreen isnīt this harmful others say that only physical sunscreen prevents.

Nevertheless I will continue using the LRP Anthelios and bioderma sunscreen + Mineralfoundation. Smile
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Grace_K wrote:
The sunscreen discussion is very confusing for me. One says that chemical sunscreen isnīt this harmful others say that only physical sunscreen prevents.

Nevertheless I will continue using the LRP Anthelios and bioderma sunscreen + Mineralfoundation. Smile

I dont't think that's a good idea as the Avobenzone in your LRP & Bioderma ss will degrade when mixed with the oxides in your MMU.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Grace_K wrote:

I dont't think that's a good idea as the Avobenzone in your LRP & Bioderma ss will degrade when mixed with the oxides in your MMU.

LRP contains only Mexoryl. Is it the same as Avobenzone? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:
Grace_K wrote:

LRP contains only Mexoryl. Is it the same as Avobenzone? Confused

LRP contains both Avobenzone & Mexoryl. Just Avobenzone alone won't be stabilize. It'll degrade once it gets exposure under the sun so that's why Mexoryl is added to stabilize it.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
hmmm... I didn`t know that. I thought Mexoryl is a sun-protecting ingredient like Avobenzone and is used alone.
thanks, Stardustdy!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I dont think there seems to be one right answer and everyone has different opinions. If Mexoryl is unsafe, would they really allow it to be used in sunscreens even for babies?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
hmmm... I didn`t know that. I thought Mexoryl is a sun-protecting ingredient like Avobenzone and is used alone.
thanks, Stardustdy!

You're welcome Aiva! Very Happy The chemical term for Avobenzone is "Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane"...u can check the ingredients of LRP to see if it contains this. The only LRP ss I know that doesn't contain Avobenzone and just Mexoryl alone is the "Hydraphase SPF 30"...it has a PPD of about 10. I tried it and I found it quite greasy even in the colder months. But if u have quite dry skin, it'll be a nice alternative to be used with MMU. Smile
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy, you ARE right! clever girl!

here we have:

La Roche-Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 50+ (Face)
A unique, lightweight fluid, for the face, great for oil-prone skin, formulated with Mexoryl XL and Mexoryl SX for maximum broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection (50ml)

Active Ingredients: Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL, Titanium Dioxide and Octocrylene.

Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isononyl Isononanidate, Octocrylene, Alcohol Denat, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, PEG 30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Nylon 12, Silica, Drometrizole Trisiloxane, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol, Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Diphenyl Dimethicone, Disteardimoniumhectorite, Dodecne, Glycine Stearate, Sojo/Soybean Oil, Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Penasodium Ethylenediamine Tetramethylene Phoshonate, Phenoxyethanol, Poloxamer 407, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Tocopherol, Triethanolamine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
no, my skin is combo-oily and I cannot stand even LRP Fluide Extreme, however it`s written on the bottle "Non greasy effect" - my face is always a greasy mess when I use it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's fine to use everyday. There's no concrete evidence that it is harmful.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
ha! interesting enough!
Nikita, I`ve just noticed that you are talking about one specific LRP sunscreen - Anthelios Dermo-Pediatrics SPF 50+ Lotion.

here we have:
Active Ingredients: Mexoryl XL, Mexoryl SX, Parsol 1789, Uvinul N 539, Uvinul T 150, Titanium Dioxide

Ingredients: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Alcohol Denat, Isohexadecane, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Titanium Dioxide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Octocrylene, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearte, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Dimethicone, Dodecene, Drometrizole Trisiloxane, Glycine Sojo/Soybean Oil, Pentasodium Ethylenediamine Tetramethylene Phosphonate, Phenoxyethanol, Poloxamer 407, Tocopherol, Triethanolamine.

so may be it is not quite accurate to talk about potential harm of Mexoryl alone as it is used in conjuction with a lot of other stuff in LRP sunscreens, with every formulation being different.
as you can see from above - ingredients list for La Roche-Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 50+ (Face) is very different from this baby ss and there IS evidence of Octocrylene being problematic:

http://www.livescience.com/health/060829_sunscreen_problem.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octocrylene

that said there seems to be no negative info on Mexoryl. I assume you are on the safe side using a sunscreen meant for kids.
the only question could arise for me - is Parsol 1789 (Avobenzone) here really stabilized by Mexoryl?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avobenzone
it says "degradation can be reduced by using a photostabilizer".
but I`m paranoid, I know Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
it seems that a consumer should have a chemistry degree nowadays just to shop wisely! Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva thanks for your informative reply. I will have to read it a few more times to digest what it means!!

The LRP product I mentioned was just an example. I am using LRP Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPf 50+ at the moment, but would be keen to change to another product, LRP or otherwise if it was a better choice. I feel overwhelmed with the amount of information and choices available, and nothing is clear cut!

My point about the Pediatrics porduct was that if it is deemed appropriate for babies then surely it should be 'safe'? SO is this particular sunscreen aimed at children safer than the one I use at the moment?

Also, do the physical alternatives with high SPF factors actually provide the same kind of protection from UVA rays?
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and Aiva...which sunscreen do you use?
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
Aiva thanks for your informative reply. I will have to read it a few more times to digest what it means!!

you r welcome! Smile
it means that there is no problem with Mexoryl, but Mexoryl is not alone in the ingredients list and there is a problem with another ingredient in your ss.

Nikita wrote:
The LRP product I mentioned was just an example. I am using LRP Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPf 50+ at the moment, but would be keen to change to another product, LRP or otherwise if it was a better choice. I feel overwhelmed with the amount of information and choices available, and nothing is clear cut!

My point about the Pediatrics porduct was that if it is deemed appropriate for babies then surely it should be 'safe'? SO is this particular sunscreen aimed at children safer than the one I use at the moment?

yes! this pediatric ss have different formulation from LRP Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPf 50+ you are using at the moment - have a look at the ingredients lists for both. If you will follow the link I posted, you will read some info on Octocrylene being among the active ingredients in your sunscreen. It shows evidences of damaging DNA under some conditions. or just print "Octocrylene damage" in Google. The pediatric ss does not contain this ingredient and thus seems to be safer.

Nikita wrote:
Also, do the physical alternatives with high SPF factors actually provide the same kind of protection from UVA rays?

there are physical sunscreens that can match chemical ones in UVA protection, but they contain very high % of zinc oxide and tend to give white cast. It could be a problem if your skin tone is a bit darker. Some of them are also very greasy, so it depends on your skin type. Mine is oily so it is tricky for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
Oh and Aiva...which sunscreen do you use?

at the moment I`m using Devita SPF 30 with 13% zink oxide and a nice ingredients list.
I assume it has a lower PPD than LRP 50+ but it is a trade-off.

one more "candidate" for me is SVR 50 Tinted Mineral-Only Sunscreen, SPF 50, PPD 20. PPD 20 is a very high UVA protection, and it is all-physical.
http://www.skincarecentral.biz/skincare-sun.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
It's definitely safe to use LRP everyday. Chemical sunscreens like La Roche Posay Anthelios and Bioderma give you the best protection in the UVA I and II range. Zinc oxide cannot compare to these formulas unless it is 20% non-micronized. Zinc oxide that is micronized/z-cote cannot adequately protect in the UVA range and can only give around a ppd of 8 while LRP and Bioderma can go ppd 30+. So if you want to use a physical sunscreen and have it as effective as anthelios, you would basically have to wear a formula that is VERY whitening. In addiiton there is also evidence that micronized zinc and titanium oxide produce free radicals when irridiated in the lab, same as there are reports that chemical sunscreens produce free radicals. We have to remember tho that the sun on our skin produces the most free radicals and we need this sunscreens to prevent this from happening.

The endocrine effects that certain sunscreen chemicals have shown is completely unsubstantiated. The tests were using the ingredients in concentrations much higher than what would be used in a sunscreen formula. Remember almost everything can have an antagonistic effect in high doses even things like vitamins. In addition, one of the main reports even stated "These differences in hormone levels were not related to sunscreen exposure." European sunscreens like LRP and Bioderma have been through strict testing and Europe is very strict about the ingredients they allow in their formulations (for example they do not allow oxybenzone, octinoxate, homosalate etc that is allowed in US formulations) so your very safe with choosing an lrp/bioderma product. and again remember that all chemical formulas have been tested extensively for many years, if it was unsafe it wouldn't be on the market.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinÂŪ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |