Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Can Multivitamins, Omega 3, or Evening Primrose Oil....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
be taken with milk, soy milk, juice, tea, or coffee? Or does it have to be with water? I assume tea and coffee are a no no cuz they contain caffeine and might affect absorption? But I'm not too sure about milk, soy milk, or juice?

Cuz if I sometimes want to have cereal with milk or soy milk in the morning and then take my supplements, I'm afraid it'll affect absorption...

What do u ladies think?
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
You will be fine..

Only one you need to worry about is certain pharmaceuticals and grapefruit juice
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:
You will be fine..

Only one you need to worry about is certain pharmaceuticals and grapefruit juice

Thanks edenfield! So u mean certain medications? And can I ask why grapefruit juice is a no no?....I heard about that too but not sure why...
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
edenfield wrote:
You will be fine..

Thanks edenfield! So u mean certain medications? And can I ask why grapefruit juice is a no no?....I heard about that too but not sure why...

Yeah certain pharmaceutials like birth control...they absorb faster when digested with grapefruit juice
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:33 am      Reply with quote
As a general rule, diet supplements should be taken in conjunction with a meal. Only some green foods and detoxifying remedies are supposed to be taken on an empty stomach.

In the following article a doctor answers the most common questions about when and how to take supplements.

http://www.365plusz.hu/eng/start.php?menu_id=2

Grapefruit juice enhances the action of several types of medications.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I like to take my vitamins with a meal or least a snack.

The only exception is my probotics which are labeled to be taken on an empty stomach. Some brands of probotics will say with a meal. (Weber for example)

My calicum tablets and also my multi say not to take with medication. You can take your supplement two hours before medication or four hours after medication.

Some medications (prescription) will indicate that grapefruit juice is NOT to be taken with the medication with a big warning sticky.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone!

It's good to know that my supplements can be taken with basically most fluids besides medication & grapefruit juice...and perhaps any caffeinated drinks. Very Happy
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:55 am      Reply with quote
You should avoid taking it with teas, tea should not be drunk when you eat as it hinders nutrient absorption. This is specifically for the camelia sinesis teas, like your black, green etc. Herbal teas are fine and are good digestive aids.

Also certain nutrients should be taken together, like protein + b/c and omega, enhances the absorption of each other.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
You should avoid taking it with teas, tea should not be drunk when you eat as it hinders nutrient absorption. This is specifically for the camelia sinesis teas, like your black, green etc. Herbal teas are fine and are good digestive aids.

Also certain nutrients should be taken together, like protein + b/c and omega, enhances the absorption of each other.

Thanks miranets! What's camelia sinesis teas and herbal teas? Embarassed

Also, what's b/c? sry for sounding stupid Sad

So do u think taking a multivitamin & Omega 3 together with soymilk is fine?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:01 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
miranets wrote:

Thanks miranets! What's camelia sinesis teas and herbal teas? Embarassed

Also, what's b/c? sry for sounding stupid Sad

So do u think taking a multivitamin & Omega 3 together with soymilk is fine?

Camellia sinesis is the variety of leaves that is used to make tea like green tea, black tea etc - - that is the stuff which is an excellent antioxidant BUT has great potential to inhibit nutrient (and lipid) absorption, if you are iron deficient or generally have poor nutrient absorption it is generally recommended to be avoided at least 30 mins before and after meals. There are some compounds in tea which bind to nutrient compounds and they end up inert and flushed out of the body.

Herbal teas are like peppermint, dandelion, etc etc from any other plant that is not camellia sinesis, and can be taken before or after meals to help ease digestion problems or to enhance bile production and appetite. I do not think they hinder nutrient absorption, nor do they enhance it.

Sorry b/c is my short hand for vitamin B and vitamin C. Vitamin B should always be taken as a B complex, and anything over several dozen milligrams in quantity will not be absorbed by the body that is why I never take supermarket brand supplements - try to get a yeast concentrate source. Taking too much B at once makes your urine turn a freakish green colour, and taking single B group vitamins like B3 or B5 will create major imbalances in your body, it will make you MORE vitamin B deficient.

What sort of soy milk do you drink? I have actually stopped drinking soy milk as I felt it affected my already poor nutrient absorption.

Unfermented soy products contain phytic acid which makes the miracle claim nutrients in soy (like protein, calcium etc) very unbioavailable - basically not easily broken down by the body at all. It is possible to break down phytic acid by heating but that also destroys protein as well.

From wikipedia - "Phytic acid is a strong chelator of important minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc, and can therefore contribute to mineral deficiencies in people whose diets rely on these foods for their mineral intake,"

I think it is a personal choice of what combination of supplements and foods you take, but you need to be aware of potential interactions and take measures to offset any disadvantageous side effects of eating certain foods.

Of course I'd LOVE to be able to get all my vitamin mineral and bioflavonoid needs from food alone, alas probably never in our lifetime.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 am      Reply with quote
miranets, that's a lot of info Smile

I just drink regular soy milk that I got from the supermarket...nothing fancy. I can't seem to remember the name...those chinese brands. I'm afraid I might lack calcium so that's why I drink it sometimes as I heard it's better than milk.

For B vitamins, is 25mg/day alright? My urine is still a bright yellow color.

Also, if I drink decaffinated teas along with my supplements, do u think it's ok?...

geez... so much DO's and DON'TS!! Sad

Thanks Miranets for your help! Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I just checked the supplement I take, it contains less than 17mg of b complex, and I take 2 each time with protein, and much of it still flushes out. You can take a tablet which has 25mg once, but you can take it 1-3 times a day as the body does not store the vitamin b.

I'm not a fan of decaffeinated products, if caffeine naturally exists in a product, it takes a lot of refining to remove the caffeine, so you end up removing the other good nutrients too.

All the best for your health!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
I just checked the supplement I take, it contains less than 17mg of b complex, and I take 2 each time with protein, and much of it still flushes out. You can take a tablet which has 25mg once, but you can take it 1-3 times a day as the body does not store the vitamin b.

I'm not a fan of decaffeinated products, if caffeine naturally exists in a product, it takes a lot of refining to remove the caffeine, so you end up removing the other good nutrients too.

All the best for your health!

Hi miranets, I learned something new everyday! I didn't know those decaffinated teas don't have much nutrients in it as it's removed in the process ... hhm but caffinated drinks might be bad for my stomach my doctor says... Sad
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:23 am      Reply with quote
I think the most important is to remember to actually take the supplements. Unless it's informed on the package to take them on an empty stomach, the general rule is to take the supplements in conjunction with a meal and wait a little while before drinking coffee or tea.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Ah Miranets, I just got smarter thanks to you Smile

I agree it is common sense to not take something on an empty stomach unless instructed to do so, and I have always found milk and toast to be a very safe bet - not too acidic!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |