Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
The truth about Bismuth Oxychloride
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've uncovered the truth on the Bismuth Oxychloride. It comes in many forms these days. The cheapest formulation is the killer here. The good quality formula doesn't seem to bother anyone. Unfortunately most companies switch to the cheap stuff to cut costs, especially as the product demand grows. Very sad, but it's a huge problem.

Forgive me if this is not new information to you but I was shocked to learn about this and my skin was suffering because of it. After discontinuing my mineral makeup for 2 weeks, all my dryness, flakiness, redness and irritation was GONE GONE GONE!!

If any of you had followed my posts, you'd know that I've had major issues with my skin. At one point, I thought that I had overgrowth of a fungus on my face (since the symptoms seemed to match!) so I was washing my face with Nizoral and applying prescription creams, including cortisone cream, every night. Shock

My skin was looking so old not only from the intense dryness I was experiencing but also because I was breaking down my skin barrier from the harsh treatment I was giving it.

I also figured out my acne dilemma on my forehead....since I gave birth, I lost a lot of hair (normal, from what I understand) so when the regrowth starting coming in, I had these little baby hairs sticking up everywhere. To remedy this, I used a smoothing serum (that I used for YEARS) very close to my hairline (which I never used to do). When I would exercise, the sweat would carry the silicone based serum down onto my forehead, thus creating my mystery breakouts! Now, I'm careful not to apply it too close to my hairline and VOILA! my skin is as clear as clear can be!!!

I've spent MONTHS trying to figure out what in the world was wrong with my skin and I finally have it all worked out! Sometimes, the answer is right under your nose. Remember, we can't force the skin to behave, we only mess with the order of things by trying to force it. I've learned from experience, the skin always wins, and that creates more problems.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC, so you can use the smoothing serum just fine as long as u don't apply it to close to your hairline?... So basically it's the sweat and the serum mixed together causing the breakouts? BTW, which MMU were u using previously. It's quite hard to tell if the Bismuth they're using is good quality or not... Sad
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
That's right, Stardusty...as long as I'm careful with the serum, no breakouts. This almost seems to good to be true! I was even considering BHA's or ProActive because the breakouts were so bad. All along, it was my hair product!! Unbelievable!! I wouldn't say that the combination of sweat and silicone caused my problems. Rather, the silicone alone bothered my skin - the perspiration just carried it there! Laughing

I was using Youngblood mineral makeup. It surprises me since this is quite an expensive brand. Prior to this, I used Bare Escentuals. I do know that BE is one of the companies that have changed their Bismuth to a lower quality. The problem here is that women who have used their mineral makeup for years without problems aren't making the connection once their skin starts freaking out. They figure it must be something else causing the problem. It's frustrating because how are you to know the Bismuth quality in every MMU that contains it? I switched to LaurEss - a MMU that it Bismuth-free and I love it! I'm not willing to take a chance to be irritated by Bismuth again. Seriously, I look 10 years younger than I did 2 weeks ago!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC, you're using Lauress now... How do u find it? Which formula r u using. I tried both the Elemental and Minimalist and to be honest, I can't really seem to tell the difference with the other MMU that I tried.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I remember now that we were both waiting for our LaurEss samples to arrive! And we were both supposed to post our reviews after we tried it! Oh well! Laughing

Well, my take on it is that I love it! I feel the Minimilist gives me more of a matte look, so I apply it in the morning. I love the Elemental for mid-afternoon when I want to add a layer of sun-protection. I find it lighter than the Minimilist so it's perfect for this. One gem that I found with this line is the Neutralize. It really works to diffuse redness so I use it first and after I apply the MMU, my skin looks really flawless. I'm 33, so I do have some fine lines that other MMU used to accentuate. LaurEss doesn't do that. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I purchased full sizes of the Soft Minimilist, Soft Elemental and Neutralize. One great thing is that all 3 were sold as a customizable set for $45, so they were very reasonable in price.

What's your opinion of it?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I love MMU but cant use any brand with Bismuth.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:
I remember now that we were both waiting for our LaurEss samples to arrive! And we were both supposed to post our reviews after we tried it! Oh well! Laughing

Well, my take on it is that I love it! I feel the Minimilist gives me more of a matte look, so I apply it in the morning. I love the Elemental for mid-afternoon when I want to add a layer of sun-protection. I find it lighter than the Minimilist so it's perfect for this. One gem that I found with this line is the Neutralize. It really works to diffuse redness so I use it first and after I apply the MMU, my skin looks really flawless. I'm 33, so I do have some fine lines that other MMU used to accentuate. LaurEss doesn't do that. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I purchased full sizes of the Soft Minimilist, Soft Elemental and Neutralize. One great thing is that all 3 were sold as a customizable set for $45, so they were very reasonable in price.

What's your opinion of it?

Well I tried both Minimalist & Elemental and honestly, I can't seem to tell the difference among the 2 Sad It looked nice initially in the morning when I put it on but by late afternoon, it seemed to settle into pores and stuff. I don't find it's good at controlling oil and stuff. I already used pearl powder before & after I applied the foundation. I can't really tell the difference with Lauress & Everyday Mineral...

sigh I don't know if it's just me or what Sad
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I love MMU but cant use any brand with Bismuth.

There're many MMU brands without the Bismuth. Which MMU r u using now?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
BTW CMAYC, Lauress has a new foundation now called Ehethreal(sp?)...it's supposed to be a foundation & concealer in one. I haven't tried that myself yet.
Artic_Mama
5% products discount

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:30 am      Reply with quote
First time poster here - but as someone with a sensitivity to bismuth oxychloride I can REALLY relate.

A bismuth free brand of makeup I can't live without is Aromaleigh. Plus, I am super pale from living in Alaska and they are the only company that has shades light enough and with the right undertone. There are two formulations, one coated (Glissade) and one just plain (Viole) and both are free of irritants. Glissade is better for sensitive skin.

I just had to rave about it, it can be so hard finding a mineral makeup that is good quality, matte, and truly inert. The prices aren't bad either, Kristen (the owner) keeps her packaging cheap and has low overhead so the cost stays down.

Bismuth Oxychloride is nasty stuff, and hard to avoid in cosmetics unfortunately Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Well I tried both Minimalist & Elemental and honestly, I can't seem to tell the difference among the 2 Sad It looked nice initially in the morning when I put it on but by late afternoon, it seemed to settle into pores and stuff. I don't find it's good at controlling oil and stuff. I already used pearl powder before & after I applied the foundation. I can't really tell the difference with Lauress & Everyday Mineral...

sigh I don't know if it's just me or what Sad

That's too bad, Stardustdy! I myself haven't tried EDM so I can't compare it to that. I've previously only used MMU with Bismuth, so I am thrilled to find a formulation that I like so much that doesn't have it. I do agree with you that it doesn't control oil that well. By mid-afternoon, my forehead's pretty shiny again. I just apply a dusting of rice powder then and it looks better. On the bright side, I don't have 1 wrinkle on my forehead so whenever I get annoyed by my oil slick I call my forehead, I think about that. Oily skin ages MUCH slower than dry skin. Wink
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

There're many MMU brands without the Bismuth. Which MMU r u using now?

Yes are many to choose from. Currently I'm alternating between a few formula's of Meow and Lumiere. I have tried several other also.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am      Reply with quote
CMAYC, yeah I thought the Minimalist will control oil cuz it said it's for oily skin but it's about the same as the Elemental. I'm not sure if it's my huge pores or what Sad

I think I might order samples of their Ethedreal(sp?) and finishers to see...

Btw, u said u ordered the Neutralize, is that the green color corrector? I wonder if it'll work for my purplish circles... hmm So do u have purplish circles that u can test on? hehe Very Happy

GirlieGirl, there're so many brands of MMU Bismuth free to try from and it's quite overwhelming Confused
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I'm intrigued by the Ethereal formula too. It's supposed to offer more of a full coverage and be creamier and more light reflective. I'm waiting for others to review it. I may have to try a sample of it when I order again. I've been eyeing up their Cashmere Kabuki brush and waiting for my next billing period on my credit card to buy it (God, I'm bad!)

As for the Neutralize, yes, it is the green corrective powder. Unfortunately, I don't have any purple areas to try it on (well, fortunately, for me! Laughing ) but I know it's more for red rather than purple areas. Their normalize (yellow corrector) is specifically made to correct purple areas.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Yes are many to choose from. Currently I'm alternating between a few formula's of Meow and Lumiere. I have tried several other also.

GirlieGirl...finding the right MMU can be exhausting, can't it? I haven't tried the ones you've mentioned but I have tried LaurEss and UGloGirl and like both. I think finding the "perfect" shade is the secret. LaurEss has A LOT of shades, which I think often works better than companies that only offer just a few. What do you think of Meow and Lumiere?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:
I'm intrigued by the Ethereal formula too. It's supposed to offer more of a full coverage and be creamier and more light reflective. I'm waiting for others to review it. I may have to try a sample of it when I order again. I've been eyeing up their Cashmere Kabuki brush and waiting for my next billing period on my credit card to buy it (God, I'm bad!)

As for the Neutralize, yes, it is the green corrective powder. Unfortunately, I don't have any purple areas to try it on (well, fortunately, for me! Laughing ) but I know it's more for red rather than purple areas. Their normalize (yellow corrector) is specifically made to correct purple areas.

hhm u should have ordered the kit with the brush for $55! well, I tried the Normalize(yellow corrector) but it makes me look like Simpson haha Very Happy ...it doesn't seem to cover my circles for some strange reason...

I might order samples of the Ethereal after they have the new formulation of the Primers & Finishers.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:
GirlieGirl...finding the right MMU can be exhausting, can't it? I haven't tried the ones you've mentioned but I have tried LaurEss and UGloGirl and like both. I think finding the "perfect" shade is the secret. LaurEss has A LOT of shades, which I think often works better than companies that only offer just a few. What do you think of Meow and Lumiere?

I've had so many sample jars and baggies over the years!
Meow has SO many colors. I have several baggies in the 3 different forumla's and in different colors.
I agree finding the right color is big part of finding the right MMU. I keep switching my colors trying to decide on the right one. I really like both Meow and Lumiere, not sure which one I like better.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Artic_Mama wrote:
First time poster here - but as someone with a sensitivity to bismuth oxychloride I can REALLY relate.

A bismuth free brand of makeup I can't live without is Aromaleigh. Plus, I am super pale from living in Alaska and they are the only company that has shades light enough and with the right undertone. There are two formulations, one coated (Glissade) and one just plain (Viole) and both are free of irritants. Glissade is better for sensitive skin.

I just had to rave about it, it can be so hard finding a mineral makeup that is good quality, matte, and truly inert. The prices aren't bad either, Kristen (the owner) keeps her packaging cheap and has low overhead so the cost stays down.

Bismuth Oxychloride is nasty stuff, and hard to avoid in cosmetics unfortunately Sad

Artic Mama....sorry, your post kind of slipped by me. I'm glad someone can relate to Bismuth irritation. What irritation did your skin go through exactly? Did it take a while as well to figure out that it was the Bismuth that was causing your problems? That's great to hear that you found a MMU that works for you. I've heard Aromaleigh mentioned here and there at this forum, but never tried it myself.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
hhm u should have ordered the kit with the brush for $55! well, I tried the Normalize(yellow corrector) but it makes me look like Simpson haha Very Happy ...it doesn't seem to cover my circles for some strange reason...

I might order samples of the Ethereal after they have the new formulation of the Primers & Finishers.

I was looking at the brush kit for $55, but because I wanted 3 face fundamentals (2 foundations and neutralize), the brush set only included 2 and the brush. It's funny you mention this because I agonized over this decision for days!! Laughing

Too bad about the Normalize. It definately sounds too yellow! I wonder if you mixed a small amount of it in with a bit of your foundation if that would be effective? Worth a try maybe. BTW, I didn't know that there were new formulations of primer and finishers coming out! Oh boy.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I've had so many sample jars and baggies over the years!
Meow has SO many colors. I have several baggies in the 3 different forumla's and in different colors.
I agree finding the right color is big part of finding the right MMU. I keep switching my colors trying to decide on the right one. I really like both Meow and Lumiere, not sure which one I like better.

It can get really expensive buying a bunch of samples all the time, can't it? I find that often a sample isn't large enough for me to ultimately decide whether it's "the one" or not. And a lot of companies don't let you purchase more than 1 sample of each shade. How do the Meow and Lumiere compare? Do they have the same finish/coverage level?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Good to know. Thanks for sharing!
Artic_Mama
5% products discount

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:58 am      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:

Artic Mama....sorry, your post kind of slipped by me. I'm glad someone can relate to Bismuth irritation. What irritation did your skin go through exactly? Did it take a while as well to figure out that it was the Bismuth that was causing your problems? That's great to hear that you found a MMU that works for you. I've heard Aromaleigh mentioned here and there at this forum, but never tried it myself.

At first I had itchiness and dryness, then blotchy texture, and I found myself breaking out more and more, with constellations of white bumps, overproducing oil, just a general skin freakout. I also noticed my pimples healed very slowly and my skin was always irritated. My lips would peel around the edges where they come into contact with my foundation. What's sad is that it took me a LONG time to figure this out as the cause, I believe it was actually a forum post on another site I frequent that tipped me off. I wasn't sure that was what it was until I actually tried a foundation without it and my problems went away. That sealed the deal for me, before that I always figured I just had really temperamental skin or pregnancy was causing the problems.

The sensitivity has gotten worse as I've gotten older, for some reason!

5% products discount

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:02 am      Reply with quote
And yes, I have to pimp Aromaleigh. It is inexpensive, the customer service is amazing, the sheer variety of products and generosity of Kristen, the owner, is just phenomenal. And the forum on that site is full of so many wonderful women who apply BEAUTIFUL makeup. Love love LOVE it - it's not shiny, it's sheer coverage but very layerable to cover even bad skin like mine, and it doesn't budge even with lots of water and humidity.

I could go on and on and on. Due to the price and weekly sales it is a very accessible makeup for me on my tight budget. That is always a plus Smile

Rave over!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |