Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
SLS-FREE Shampoos and Conditioner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sandals

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
I am on a mission to try a line of SLS-Free hair products. Have no idea where to start, and was hoping for anyones great suggestions. I have extremely dry hair that is also fine. My hair gets very tangley and breaks easily. It also gets frizzy since I have natural curl. I hear that SLS can dry out hair and cause hair thinning. So if anyone has good advice about SLS Free hair products, and also any recommendations, I would appreciate it!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Theres TIPS shampoo by Ask cosmetics which is pretty true to being SLS free. Ask Cosmetics does have a website. And Lavera which is an organic beauty line made in Germany. Both good choices and they have a website as well.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sandals, I'm a fan of SLS-free shampoo myself, and have been for a while now (with good results I think!) While it's not the most natural of the natural products, I do personally like Aveda shampoo (Rosemary Mint for my thinnish, straight hair), but I believe the rest of their shampoos are also SLS free, though you might want to double-check. There are also lots of natural brands, many of which are starting to be available at places like CVS, Target, etc. -- Burt's Bees (which is SLS free) is a good example. Some others I've tried are Kiss my Face and Earth Science. Trader Joe's makes a house brand that is SLS free too. I would actually recommend starting at drugstore dot com (can't post links as a newbie!) if you're interested in the $10 and under category. They have a category tab on the front page just for "green and natural," and they include the ingredient lists for all the products (very helpful!)

If you're looking for more salon quality products, SLS free brands include John Masters Organics, Dr. H., and Suki (all of which EDS carries). Others like Ojon and Carol's Daughter are at Sephora.

Just as a warning, it takes a little while for some folks to get used to the lower-suds effect as a result of not having SLS (which is what it's best at it). I never really found this to be a problem, and I still only use about a quarter-size amount for my hair (it's pretty long, too). I had a friend complain that there weren't enough bubbles, but bubbles aren't really what clean hair. Laughing

Hope this helps!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
My hair routine (which happens to be sulfate free) is conditioner only. Basically, I just wash my hair with Suave conditioner. I like to coconut one. What's essential though is to add some apple cider vinegar to the conditioner. I also usually add some honey, but honey's not essential. My hair's really healthy now, it's longer than it has ever been and there are very few split ends.
havana8

Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Many find they go through a lengthy adjustment period when moving to SLS-free + organic hair products which can mean that you may find your hair either drier or oiler than normal. Or at least that's been my experience.

As SusieQ mentioned, both John Masters and Lavera are great brands. Here's are some threads on both of them:

Lavera
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=26686&highlight=lavera

John Masters
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=19838&highlight=john+masters
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=27750&highlight=john+masters

p.s. oh, and welcome to EDS Sandals and KBLang!
sandals

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for all the help. This forum has been agreat learning tool for me, and with the nicest people. I'm looking forward to trying the john masters organics for a start, then branch out and try others!
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Like sandals said, this forum has been such a learning tool -- thanks for the welcome Havana8!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
The Alterna Hemp shampoos and conditioners are great.

http://www.skinstore.com/store/category.asp?catID=7661

Skinstore is having 20% all purchases for the next two weeks, just use code SUMMER20 at checkout.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
I like Terax Collagene Reparative Shampoo. I dont care any of the Terax shampoo's though. Ulta (in store only) and Sephora (on line) sell it
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the Trader Joe's brand called Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner. There is no SLS, and it is very inexpensive. I like the shampoo and conditioner very much.
Rockalilly
5% products discount

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
I recently got MOP (Modern Organics Products) C-System Shampoo and Glisten Conditioner. The shampoo is supposed to be SLS free but lathers like a normal shampoo. It's not quite right for my fine/ damaged hair, but cleans it well. My hair seems to have a lot of fly aways and appears a little dry the day I shampoo but then it looks oily the next day so I don't know if I'll repurchase it (I bought the liter sizes on sale). This line has gotten good reviews in magazines and everyone seems to really like the Glisten drops. Ulta carries the brand and I'd suggest seeing if they offer samples. If not, at least they tend to have good samples and coupons so you can try it cheap.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:17 am      Reply with quote
I've done no-poo before with great results and it is EASY to find a conditioner with no detergent Wink

Being on a budget right now I try to keep my hair products inexpensive. Right now I am using a drug-store brand called Avalon Organics and it's in a variety called Revitalizing Peppermint. No sulfates, parabens or the like and what they DO use, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, is a very gentle cleanser. I believe my bottle was just shy of $10 here in Alaska so it should be cheaper down south. But any store with a decent Organic/Natural section should have it!

Oh, for the record I have fine curly, somewhat dry hair and a sensitive, somewhat flaky scalp. It does seem to flatten the curl somewhat, but I have found it very gentle on my hair and it doesn't have silicones so the shaft isn't coated with anything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
My hair routine (which happens to be sulfate free) is conditioner only. Basically, I just wash my hair with Suave conditioner. I like to coconut one. What's essential though is to add some apple cider vinegar to the conditioner. I also usually add some honey, but honey's not essential. My hair's really healthy now, it's longer than it has ever been and there are very few split ends.

I've been conditioner washing for about two months now. About 2-3 times a week I follow with a rinse of 50/50 cider vinegar and water with some wheat protein added as well. I haven't heard of adding the apple cider vinegar directly to the conditioner though. Can you tell me what proportion of ACV you use to the conditioner and why it's essential to add it.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:20 am      Reply with quote
There's a drugstore line called Organix that is SLS free. I haven't tried the shampoo, but the coconut milk and tea tree condtioners are really nice.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote
I just got an email from National Geographic's Green Guide that provides a buying guide for
"green" shampoos, including a comparison chart of various brands. http://www.thegreenguide.com/products/Personal_Care/Shampoo
Remy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
I tried the Trader Joe's brand called Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner. There is no SLS, and it is very inexpensive. I like the shampoo and conditioner very much.

TJ's Spa line is very good for the price. Don't confuse it with the other TJ line. I think it's called Refresh. I haven't tried that one, so I can't rate it.

A similar brand that you can find at some drugstores is "Giovanni". It's more expensive, but it may be easier to find.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I've been conditioner washing for about two months now. About 2-3 times a week I follow with a rinse of 50/50 cider vinegar and water with some wheat protein added as well. I haven't heard of adding the apple cider vinegar directly to the conditioner though. Can you tell me what proportion of ACV you use to the conditioner and why it's essential to add it.

My conditioner mix is usually anywhere from 10-20% acv. For my hair I really feel the difference if I don't add the acv because my hair then is not as shiny, it's not as clean. I don't notice it immediately, but after a while there's definitely a difference. I think your weekly acv rinse does mostly the same thing.

I like adding a little acv to my conditioner directly so that my hair is always clean looking and shiny. Oh and I also like adding honey to my conditioner mix too. One side effect of adding the honey is that it neutralizes the smell of the acv.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Keliu wrote:

My conditioner mix is usually anywhere from 10-20% acv. For my hair I really feel the difference if I don't add the acv because my hair then is not as shiny, it's not as clean. I don't notice it immediately, but after a while there's definitely a difference. I think your weekly acv rinse does mostly the same thing.

I like adding a little acv to my conditioner directly so that my hair is always clean looking and shiny. Oh and I also like adding honey to my conditioner mix too. One side effect of adding the honey is that it neutralizes the smell of the acv.

Thanks Nimue - whilst I've been very happy with just using the conditioner, I have noticed that my hair doesn't look as shiny. Also, I think that pouring the ACV over my head afterwards is causing the skin on my chest to breakout (I have very sensitive chest skin). So I'm going to try mixing the ACV with the conditioner.
PhaiG
5% products discount

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Now Foods has SLS-free shampoos and conditioners. I saw them in some online health food stores.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:35 am      Reply with quote
If you order from EDS at the moment you get 25% off organic and natural products. The code is gogreen2008. So take advantage of this offer and try the John Masters products.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:29 am      Reply with quote
LUSH has solid shampoo bars that are now SLS free. They're not cheap to buy but they last forever, it seems. My SO and I have been using one bar for the past six or seven months, and it's still only half used up.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Thanks Nimue - whilst I've been very happy with just using the conditioner, I have noticed that my hair doesn't look as shiny. Also, I think that pouring the ACV over my head afterwards is causing the skin on my chest to breakout (I have very sensitive chest skin). So I'm going to try mixing the ACV with the conditioner.

Let me know how it works out for you!
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
In Canada, Live Clean is a fabulous non-SLS shampoo/conditioner line.

http://www.live-clean.com/index2.swf

I use to lose tonnes and tonnes of hair (therefore, had lots of flying baby hair) and also suffered from itchy scalp. Live Clean is the only shampoo/conditioner that has solved both problems. No more itch, no more clogged drains and no more baby hair!!

It's available at Shoppers Drug Mart.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
amaska, which shampoo do you use? Live Clean has 3 kinds.
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
They actually have 4 lines now - Volumizing, Moisturizing, Invigorating and another one (forgot the name) for chemically treated hair.

I use the Volumizing (Blue) one. Shoppers has a pretty good refund/exchange policy, so I'd say buy, try and exchange until you find the one that works for you!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |