Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil -- less acne + glow
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
zirconn
5% products discount

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi KBLang and divalovesmusic, thanks for the suggestion. I learnt something new again, didn't know rose hip oil may cause acne. I thought that was good for scars too. I will stop that for a while and try your methods.

Anyway, I was surfing GOW and nature's gift and came across some info on tea tree oil, and I thought I will just quote them here to share;

GOW
NOTE: this oil has been used "neat" for many years, as suggested over time by many professionals ALTHOUGH, as of late, evidence has shown this oil to be effective in much lower % levels and that using it neat can quite possibly cause serious sensitization issues!

Nature's Gift
No essential oil should be used neat on the face, and I believe Tea Tree is too harsh for facial care. A safer solution to 'spot treatment' of blemishes is to take a cotton ball, dip in distilled water, and then add one drop of either tea tree, if you insist, or preferably Manuka, then touch the blemish with the cotton ball.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Zirconn,

That's definitely true about essential oils -- tea tree, lavender, etc. I'm not sure if this was clear or not, but just to re-clarify: argan and tamanu are carrier oils (like vegetable or olive oils) -- not essential oils. So you can use to your heart content. Very Happy

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys

I originally posted this question as a separate thread but, unfortunately, i've not had any replies yet. As it's about argan oil, i figured somebody here might be able to help me. Anyway, my question is ............

Okay, so thanks to you guys on the forum, i have ordered some argan and tamanu oil to help reduce the redness leftover from my cystic acne. It came today - delivered in work, so i haven't had chance to get home and try it out yet.

BUT!!!

The argan oil has lots of little bits in it - like flecks? It looks a little like, maybe, small flakes of snow or something all group together, like maybe you'd see in a snow globe.

Is this normal? i've never used argan oil before, so i'm not sure? i just know that i've never seen ANY oil arrive with bits in it before. There's quite a lot of it too! After my cystic acne being caused by OCM in the first place (and, i'm more and more convinced, specifically by some carrot oil i used that went rancid incredibly quickly and was obviously full of bacteria), i'm paranoid about putting any more oil on my face that has even the slightest hint of bacteria in it or anything that looks like it's going off.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

TIA

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:36 am      Reply with quote
I use Argon Oil, it's a pale yellow colour and when I had a close look at it I did notice that there are some "flecks" in it - it's not completely clear.

I've been using it for some time now and have not had any problems. This is the first bottle that I have bought, so I'm not an authority on what it's supposed to look like.

If you don't want to risk using it, I would email the seller or another website that sells Argan Oil and ask them what their opinion is.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I use Argon Oil, it's a pale yellow colour and when I had a close look at it I did notice that there are some "flecks" in it - it's not completely clear.

I've been using it for some time now and have not had any problems. This is the first bottle that I have bought, so I'm not an authority on what it's supposed to look like.

If you don't want to risk using it, I would email the seller or another website that sells Argan Oil and ask them what their opinion is.

Thanks Keliu, that's helpful. it does sound similar to yours although i would describe mine as more than just a few! It's quite full of flecks!

I'll e-mail the guy and just double check with him i think. A good way of checking out their customer service standards aswell!

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
kdd2411 wrote:
divalovesmusic wrote:
I use tamanu oil on stubbord scars as a spot treatment.

How long does it take to see results?

I guess it's different for everybody, but I saw results in 1 week, but the results were more dramatic with old scars. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh, and I mix my Tea Tree oil with a drop of hazelnut oil that I just got. What do you think of this mix?
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Hiya diva

your mix sounds okay - you mean this is for spots or scars? with my cystic acne, probably the only (natural) thing i tried that actually made a difference was tea tree oil. nothing miraculous but it definitely showed improvements. Unfortunately, being pregnant, i have had to stop using this now for a while Sad

Anyhow, i always used my tea tree oil neat on my face. There are three essential oils that be used neat on the skin, and these can be remember by using the acronym TLC. The oils are Tea tree, Lavender and Chamomile.

Thought i'd let you know that as, if you suffer from oily skin or whatever, you may prefer to skip the hazelnut oil. Having said that, i believe hazelnut oil is good for oily skin anyway!

HTH

Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Hmm, i think i'm going mad! i went back to my argan oil last night and it's completely clear! How bizarre!

What i'm thinking is that it's affected by heat (in the same way coconut oil is). When i opened it and noticed the flecks, it had just been delivered to me in work so had obviously spent a few days in transit - vans, depots, aeroplans etc. It was obviously quite cool. Now, since it's been in a warmer environment in my house, the flecks have melted.

Ahh well, that's solves that mystery then!

Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:51 am      Reply with quote
I hate to get all melodramatic here and start saying i've found my holy grail but i'm just loving tamanu oil!!!

Okay, let's get away from the fact that it stinks and isn't pleasant at all! it's also quite viscous and yellowy. I can put up with that in miracle products!!

However, i'm hesitant to get all happy happy and proclaim miracles because i have only used it THREE TIMES. but, i'm noticing a difference already! Wow!!!! I'm just praying i don't have an OCM purge type moment with it being oil.

Along with my many many other red marks, i've had an acne mark on my cheek for a year now, which i affectionally call my norway scar. It was a spot which developed on my holiday to norway last March - bang smack in the middle of my cheek - and ruined my holiday. Well, not ruined it, but you girls know what i mean!

Despite being so patient and not squeezing it, as i am apt to do, it still scarred and has been very noticeable being in the middle of my cheek. it's never gone, albeit it has faded.

Now!!!!!!!!!!! Heck, it's barely there!!!! I really can't believe it after only three times! I keep looking in the mirror thinking maybe i'm looking in the wrong place!

My newer, more redder scarring hasn't shown quite this remarkable improvement but i expect that will take a bit longer. But, I'm really really pleased! I just pray i don't start breaking out again as i'm just starting to get my last OCM purge until control! Infact, that's where all the scarring has come from!

So, i think i've cracked the best thing for my acne scarring - using tumeric (in either ready made cream or using it DIY style) to fade the spots, together with a good exfoliant once a week to clear the top layer of dead skin then tamanu oil at night. I feel more positive about being able to clear my skin again than i have done for ages!

Very Happy

KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Teabags wrote:
I hate to get all melodramatic here and start saying i've found my holy grail but i'm just loving tamanu oil!!!

So, i think i've cracked the best thing for my acne scarring - using tumeric (in either ready made cream or using it DIY style) to fade the spots, together with a good exfoliant once a week to clear the top layer of dead skin then tamanu oil at night. I feel more positive about being able to clear my skin again than i have done for ages!

Very Happy

Congratulations Teabags! I'm so glad to hear that you're having such great results. Woo-hoo!

I still love tamanu oil myself -- just ordered my second ounce. It lasts forever! Anyway, I'm still working on a couple old scars with it, but it still does amazing work on my fresh, red acne marks. Poof! Within a week after the zit itself is gone the red mark is gone too. Just checked in the mirror to make sure, and I'm not exaggerating. Very Happy Hope it continues to be good to you!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
do they smell as good as the decleor darphin oils?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Teabags wrote:
Okay, let's get away from the fact that it stinks and isn't pleasant at all! it's also quite viscous and yellowy. I can put up with that in miracle products!!

Glad you're liking the Tamanu Oil - I've just purchased some as well. But my 100% Tamanu Oil is a very dark green almost black colour!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Teabags wrote:

Glad you're liking the Tamanu Oil - I've just purchased some as well. But my 100% Tamanu Oil is a very dark green almost black colour!

Keliu, mine is also very dark green.

BTW, if I put Tamanu Oil on before bed, I can see an improvement in acne spots or facial redness as soon as I get up in the morning. It is awesome stuff!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote
calorblind wrote:
do they smell as good as the decleor darphin oils?

Hi calorblind, The only real downside to the tamanu oil is that it does not smell "good," though I wouldn't call it bad either. It's very earthy smelling; the closest comparison I can make is to soy sauce. Because you use it "neat," there's no other additives -- it's just the straight oil. So what you smell is what you get. Very Happy

Just thirding that mine is also very dark green -- though on my white pillowcase it looks like a lighter green. Laughing

calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
thank you so much! Smile

anyone heard of the brand AR457 or Kaeline or Louhann, They are all argan based
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:49 am      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Teabags wrote:

Very Happy

Congratulations Teabags! I'm so glad to hear that you're having such great results. Woo-hoo!

I still love tamanu oil myself -- just ordered my second ounce. It lasts forever! Anyway, I'm still working on a couple old scars with it, but it still does amazing work on my fresh, red acne marks. Poof! Within a week after the zit itself is gone the red mark is gone too. Just checked in the mirror to make sure, and I'm not exaggerating. Very Happy Hope it continues to be good to you!

I know!!!! It's marvellous!!!!

My jawline looks like its one big explosion of spots but, to be honest, it's actually just one or three cystic spots these days with the rest being just a red mass of scars. And, whilst i wouldn't say the redness of the new scars has diminished yet, i'm seeing more "normal" skin in between the redness now. If that makes sense ....... the scars are obviously decreasing in size and not overlapping each other and forming one big red mark!

Hmmm, mine's definitely a yellowy colour though. although i only put a tiny amount in my palm - maybe it would be a more greeny colour if i poured out more and in a more natural light.

Hating the smell though! my first impression was that it smelt like celery, which i can't bear the smell of either!! But, who cares, if it works so well!

Thanks for all the advice to try it though! I truly have not tried any toiletry product before that actually makes such an improvement overnight. Fingers crossed it continues!!!!

Camille00
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Where can I buy this product? (tamanu oil)
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Camille00 wrote:
Where can I buy this product? (tamanu oil)

Hi Camille,

You won't find tamanu oil at any "normal" cosmetic stores. I think most people get theirs from DIY websites that sell ingredients for making your own skincare products. You'll usually find it listed as a "carrier oil" or "vegetable oil." Here's a thread that gives you *lots* of options for purchasing from. I personally have gotten mine from essentialwholesale.com, and I get other products from them as well... Happy shopping!
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=32529

CharleneS

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
My first experience with all natural skin products was Organic Argan Oil. I buy a 100% Organic which may be a different brand than what's on this site.Because of the incredible results I got from my 2 ounce $30 bottle that lasts 6 months led me to start a natural skin care blog to get the word out about natural skin products.

It drives me crazy that people are spending hundreds for 5 different products that don't work when they can buy ONE product Argan Oil that does so much more.

I am 46 years old, I have sold cosmetics behind a cosmetic counter at Macy's, I have tried and sampled thousands of products and finally...Argan Oil. All I can say is everyone must use this product. I no longer have eye wrinkles, and it may take awhile longer for the lip wrinkles because now I drink too much wine but I have faith in this product.

I also use it to refresh my face before going out at night. It reduces reduces wrinkles and gives your skin a glow instantly.

The one thing I can't understand is why everyone is not buying this product. Because it is not advertised? The very best products are not advertised and i know that because I look 10 years younger. Sorry for the rant but I can not say enough about this "miracle" skin care product, Argan Oil. Save your money and buy what works. Pure Skin Blog for more info.
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I decided to buy a "tester" of Josie's oil for $18 at Sephora in Ontario. And my overall opinion? Meh. It didn't really do anything for (or against) me. I'm oily with acne prone skin. I'm sticking to my Garnier night cream with grape oil extract.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
From what I have read argan oil is not the best oil for an oily skinned girl (like me - like you!). Baobob works great for us. Marula is good also. Hemp Seed another good choice. Recommend Shea Terra Organics - direct from Africa and supports the women workers. Love that.
Garden of Wisdom is also excellent. I get Hemp seed there. Good luck - you can use the argan in your hair.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:00 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
you can use the argan in your hair.

argan oil I don't know how to use for my hair
Bree5666
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Can someone advise me what is the difference in argon vs tamaru oil their effects / results?
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is just so oily that I can't find an oil that works. This product seems to clog my pores and make me a little more oily... I have switched to using it on my hair and it works beautifully Smile
BelleFlower
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Bree5666 wrote:
Can someone advise me what is the difference in argon vs tamaru oil their effects / results?

I think it depends on your skin type. Also, tamanu and argon do different things. For me, with very dry skin, I noticed no miracle with argon (but I used Josie Maran's so maybe that was why?). Whereas the tamanu is very calming and healing. It's not so much moisturizing as it is calming. It has made my rosacea much better, but only if I put it on directly (rather than mixing it with my face cream).

So my technique is to press the tamanu into my face after my HA serum. One warning though, don't get it near your eyes because it will make your eyes burn!

So to answer your question, I don't think it's a matter of one over the other but more that they are supposed to do different things. Tamanu will not break you out though. I hope this helps!

Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |