Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
Review: Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil -- less acne + glow
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies, I've been a lurker for a while on EDS, and have learned sooo much. This is actually one of the products that convinced me to join so I could finally tell you about it! Clearly, the review is for argan oil in general, it's just that I happened to find it first through Josie Maran after the NY Times ran an article calling it the new "liquid gold."

I have been using argan oil daily for six months now (and have still not run out of my 2 oz. bottle). Last fall I was going through a stressful job search and developed myself a nice case of adult acne (I'm 27 and hadn't had major zit issues since high school). So I found myself applying for jobs with zits all over my cheeks, chin, etc. I tried some OTC vitamin A creams, but nothing was really working after a few weeks. Then, on a trip to NYC, I stopped by the Josie Maran counter for a sample of argan oil and walked away with a bottle. About a month after I started using it as my nighttime moisturizer, my husband actually told me that he thought my skin looked better. The thing is, my husband is actually an extremely attentive, detail-oriented person. I'm the one who fails to notice when he, say, rearranges the artwork on the walls at home (wish I was joking). So when he told me, unprovoked, that my face "glowed since you started using that expensive stuff" I had reason to believe him. Glowing enough that he asked if he could start using it to! (I let him. Very Happy )

And somewhere after a couple weeks using the oil, I noticed my acne were just simply much better. I still have the occasional breakout of one or two zits, but my new concern lately has been getting red of my leftover red acne marks -- not the acne itself.

Now then, I was starting to take this all for granted when the heat wave hit here a week or two ago. I thought oil would be too heavy for my face in the heat, so I started using my morning serum at night as well (and it had not been a breakout problem in over a month of use). Within a few days: poof -- zits! I thought I'd gotten rid of anything causing me breakouts. I didn't realize I'd simply been using something that stops them for me. Back to the argan oil! Turns out it's not too heavy for summer. I'm using it every night again all over my face and neck, and then a tiny dab on any breakouts or potential zits in the morning too.

I know different oils work for different folks, but I wanted to share my experience. It's a not a miracle worker (i.e. this wasn't an instant, overnight success), but a little patience and "liquid gold" worked wonders for me. Sorry this post got so long!
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
That's great, KB. I had a small sample of Argan Oil, not Josie's, and thought it might of made me drier. It was such a small sample though so it was hard to decide. Perhaps I should try it again. Thanks for the review.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review! I'll look into it. Unfortunately no matter how much I want to try other oils I'm too lazy to experiment and I generally just stick to castor oil.
havana8

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, KB! It's nice to hear about different products. I've been quite keen to try some of the Josie Maran products but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. Confused
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmmm, my daughter brought me a bottle of Argan oil from Morocco a couple of years back and I thought it smelled odd so never used it. Would this be the same kind of thing? Or is the kind you have specially formulated?
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is Argan oil and what does it claim to do?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is Argan oil and what does it claim to do?

It's harvested from an endangered tree that only grows in Morocco, which helps explain why it's so valuable and rare. It's supposed to be really good for skin. Anti aging and collagen and all that...
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Dahli, This would be the same thing your daughter brought back -- argan oil is from the argan tree in Morocco; the oil is pressed from the nuts, and the extraction process is apparently labor-intensive (thus the higher prices). It's been more popular in southern Europe for a while now, and it can be used in cooking as well.

CMAYC, not a silly question... I'd never heard of it before until I came across it in a travel article on Morocco from the NY Times last November (random place for skincare news!); here's an excerpt: "The real find, however, is argan oil, made from the nuts of the argan tree, which grows almost exclusively in this region. The oil, which is said to have restorative and age-defying effects, has become one of the latest miracle ingredients in the beauty industry. High in vitamin E and essential fatty acids, it is believed to help all sorts of skin conditions: dry skin, acne, psoriasis, eczema, wrinkles. Moroccans slather it on their skin, hair, nails and even their babies."

The full article is still up for free on the NY Times website. Like Jojoba oil, people use this on their skin and hair too; it's just that I found it a bit too pricey for that and wanted to save it for my face!
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Havana8, I know that argan oil is available from other soap making supply places, etc., and the Josie Maran brand will be on QVC now (American television shopping site) -- not sure about their shipping policies though...

Here's a little more info from Nature's Gift online, which is a wholesaler of essential oils: "Thanks to its exceptional content of unsaturated fatty acids, Argan Oil helps in the restoration of the hydro-lipidic film of the skin. Linoleic acid, which is one of the omega-6 fatty acids is a precursor of vitamin F. Linoleic acid is present in Argan Oil at a concentration three times higher than in olive oil. As an essential fatty acid it has a key role in preserving cell integrity. The particularly high content of natural tocopherols gives the oil excellent anti-free radical and anti-stress activities and natural self-protection against oxidation.... Because of its high proportion of natural tocopherols Argan Oil should have a fairly long shelf life."

And to get really technical:

Composition:

• Fatty acids: 99%, of which more than 80% unsaturated fatty acids
• Unsaponifiable substances: 1%
• Tocopherols: 60 - 90 mg/100 g
• Sterols: 130 - 230 mg/100 g

Fatty Acid Composition

• Palmitic acid (C16:0): 12 - 13%
• Stearic acid (C18:0): 5 - 7%
• Oleic acid (C18:1): 43 - 49.1%
• Linoleic acid (C18:2): 29.3 - 36.0%
• Linolenic acid (C18:3): 0.1%
• Arachidic acid (C20:0): 0.3 - 0.5%
• Gadoleic acid (C20:1): 0.4 - 0.5%
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a review of another aragon based product line from the Truth in Aging blog...Marta appears to really like it.

http://www.truthinaging.com/2008/06/reviewed-and-recommended-kaeline-with-argan-oil.html

And her high level comments on the Josie Maran product:

http://www.truthinaging.com/2008/04/what-is-it-arga.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:40 am      Reply with quote
My aunt brought me a bottle of argan oil from Morocco a couple of years ago. I have to say I like emu oil better.

The Josie Maran Argan Oil might be formulated or refined in a way that makes it more exclusive and effective than the cheaper bottles from Morocco, but it seems to be a bit overpriced, in my opinion.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:23 am      Reply with quote
The Josie Maran is organic, and I guess it would make sense that there would be a difference between cosmetic and food grade oils in terms of refinement. That said, I agree that the Josie Maran is pretty pricey regardless. The good news is that it does last a long time since you need so little -- six months for one bottle with two people using it daily! But I might try some other versions of argan out, and if I find another that I like just as much, I'll certainly report back.

Oh, and if you're in NYC or SF, Josie Maran is at Barneys, and they do have samples...
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info! Gosh, sometimes I feel like I can't keep up with all these new products! I love Emu oil and use it religiously. I wonder how the two compare?
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean, CMAYC -- I just heard about tamanu oil for red acne marks and now I want to try that too! It's almost like I need 3 faces to try all these different products out on. Smile

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Annie B
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know how big the Josie Maran bottle is? I looked on the website but they don't give the bottle size. I'd like to know if I'm getting my $48 worth before ordering!
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
The bottle is 2 oz./59 ml.

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Annie B wrote:
Does anyone know how big the Josie Maran bottle is? I looked on the website but they don't give the bottle size. I'd like to know if I'm getting my $48 worth before ordering!

The Josie Maran website does states 50 ml which translates to 1.7 ounces, which is $28.24 per ounce.

http://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/product.html?pid=1070

You can buy organic argan oil from Natures Gift for $13.50 an ounce with the 4 oz size, or $18 for the 1 ounce size. The Nature's Gift bottle is not as pretty though. This oil sounds interesting. I bought it to mix with my hazelnut and raspberry oil and some EOs.

http://www.naturesgift.com/carrier_oils/Argan-Oil.htm
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Annie B wrote:

I just looked at the website, boski, and they say 50 ml. Oddly the box that I bought from Josie Maran (though this was in January) says 59 ml/2 oz. I wonder who decided which even number was better: 50 ml or 2 oz.? Smile

boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Annie B wrote:

I just looked at the website, boski, and they say 50 ml. Oddly the box that I bought from Josie Maran (though this was in January) says 59 ml/2 oz. I wonder who decided which even number was better: 50 ml or 2 oz.? Smile

Maybe they changed the size of the bottle or maybe it's a typo. 59 ml is equivalent to 2 oz.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
boski, have you ever ordered from Nature's Gift before? Just curious if anyone has experience with their product quality or cs. Thanks.

boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
boski, have you ever ordered from Nature's Gift before? Just curious if anyone has experience with their product quality or cs. Thanks.

Yes, for many years (maybe 4?). I've used their Clarifying Synergy products, hazelnut oil, a bunch of EOs. Excellent quality. The packaging is not fancy, but I don't care about that. The best customer service and Marge the owner is very knowledgeable. They ship fast and always include a bunch of samples even without you asking and a discount code on your next purchase. I highly recommend them.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Fabulous -- thanks boski! I always feel better knowing if someone's had a good experience before. Sounds like yours was better than good! I do believe I see an order in my near future...

beautybee
5% products discount

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi I have been a lurker for several years Embarassed .I have spent alot of money because of all your reviews on products Shock..I see somebody commented on the oil,I bought some oil from MOROCC0N OIL for hair.I love love love it.Its got the Argan in it.SO I bought a bottle or Argan oil just for my beautiful skin from another organic company,all I can say is that I am very impressed,I have used it on my face and have such a fabulous glow.No break outs or anything yet.Just wanted to give my 2 Cents about this product.And I will always use the hair oil it rocks my socks.The Argan oil smells quite odd but it does mellow out Shock.The hair oil on the other hand smells soooooooooooooooo good.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Glad to know there's another fan out there, beautybee! Confirms that I'm not just imagining things. Very Happy

havana8

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Havana8, I know that argan oil is available from other soap making supply places, etc., and the Josie Maran brand will be on QVC now (American television shopping site) -- not sure about their shipping policies though...

Here's a little more info from Nature's Gift online, which is a wholesaler of essential oils: "Thanks to its exceptional content of unsaturated fatty acids, Argan Oil helps in the restoration of the hydro-lipidic film of the skin. Linoleic acid, which is one of the omega-6 fatty acids is a precursor of vitamin F. Linoleic acid is present in Argan Oil at a concentration three times higher than in olive oil. As an essential fatty acid it has a key role in preserving cell integrity. The particularly high content of natural tocopherols gives the oil excellent anti-free radical and anti-stress activities and natural self-protection against oxidation.... Because of its high proportion of natural tocopherols Argan Oil should have a fairly long shelf life."

And to get really technical:

Composition:

• Fatty acids: 99%, of which more than 80% unsaturated fatty acids
• Unsaponifiable substances: 1%
• Tocopherols: 60 - 90 mg/100 g
• Sterols: 130 - 230 mg/100 g

Fatty Acid Composition

• Palmitic acid (C16:0): 12 - 13%
• Stearic acid (C18:0): 5 - 7%
• Oleic acid (C18:1): 43 - 49.1%
• Linoleic acid (C18:2): 29.3 - 36.0%
• Linolenic acid (C18:3): 0.1%
• Arachidic acid (C20:0): 0.3 - 0.5%
• Gadoleic acid (C20:1): 0.4 - 0.5%

You know, I realized tonight that I actually have a small bottle of argan oil from Nature's Gift. Embarassed I'll have to try using it.

I agree with everything Boski said about Nature's Gift--they are excellent as is the quality of their products.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skinยฎ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |