Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil -- less acne + glow
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:36 am      Reply with quote
I keep wondering if there is a difference in quality between the oils that are carried by Nature Gifts and similar vendors and those fancy, little bottles with a brand name.

Re emu oils -
Dremu is very expensive, but in my experience, the Ultra emu oil from LB was just as good and much more affordable.

The coldpressed and organic oils are supposed to be the best. Apart from that, I am not sure how to judge the quality of different oils.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:47 am      Reply with quote
You are paying for the name, packaging and advertising costs. Some of the high-end products are way overpriced for what they are.

The Natures Gift products are hand selected for their quality by Marge, and she knows ALOT about carrier oils and essential oils. You can tell by reading her website. Ok, it's not the most professional looking or snazziest website, but its a small operation. They keep costs down. The people who work there are great. Bottomline, that's all that matters to me.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:31 am      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
You are paying for the name, packaging and advertising costs. Some of the high-end products are way overpriced for what they are.

The Natures Gift products are hand selected for their quality by Marge, and she knows ALOT about carrier oils and essential oils. You can tell by reading her website. Ok, it's not the most professional looking or snazziest website, but its a small operation. They keep costs down. The people who work there are great. Bottomline, that's all that matters to me.

That sounds really good. I'll definitely keep nature's gift in mind, and I think it's been recommended to me before and I looked around but didn't decide on anything.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I wanted to mention one of the premixed lines that Natures Gift carries is the "Cleopatra" line. The line is for mature, drier skin types. Anyway, there is a serum called Cleopatra's Secret Anti-aging skin serum, which is very interesting sounding. It contains argan and marula, along with a bunch of very nice EOs in it. I think it would be too much for my oily skin, but the gals with dry skin types would love it. It's $18 for 1/2 oz, but you only need a drop or 2.

http://www.naturesgift.com/cleopatras-secret.htm
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Re emu oils -
Dremu is very expensive, but in my experience, the Ultra emu oil from LB was just as good and much more affordable.

Ditto...I am soooo in love with the LB Ultra Emu Oil that I just bought a quart of it! Embarassed I think I use more than most people though, lol.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to post an update on the argan oil brand vs. "non-brand" debate. I ordered 4 oz. of argan oil from Nature's Gift about two weeks ago. (http://www.naturesgift.com/carrier_oils/Argan-Oil.htm) This size is the most expensive at $54, but it's the best deal overall (and about half the price of the Josie Maran). I'm not too worried about it going bad; I didn't have any problems with my first batch over the course of six months, and I'm storing it in the fridge for preservation (also, both my husband and I use it, so it goes a little faster).

In any case, I'm happy to report that there seems to be no discernible difference between the Josie Maran and the Nature's Gift -- except for the price. The smell, texture, and color are all the same, and both are organic and cold pressed. It seems I really did just pay for a label. I've been using the argan as usual and still getting the same results (happy skin, essentially). Just wanted to let you know the good news!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I use Argan Oil from Garden of Wisdom every night, mixed with Tamanu Oil (also from GOW) and some hyaluroic acid serum. My skin has never looked better. I use it after my renova, about an hour after, and the combination works great. The renova makes me dry, and the combo of oils really helps, plus does not break me out at all - in fact I think it has helped control my acne. I hardly ever get a pimple anymore and if i do it is a tiny one that goes away in 2 days. GOW is a great place to get all kinds of oils, at great prices!!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so glad I came across this post. I was planning on returning to my Decleor Ylang Ylang oil because it worked well for me. (Instead of searching for new products, I'm trying to go back to what I've tried out the past few years so I don't waste anymore money!). I bought a bottle of argan oil from GoW (it showed up SO FAST!) and I've been pleasantly pleased with the results so far. Combined with tea tree oil (also from GoW) as a spot treatment, my face that was on its way to being a mess has since calmed down in only a few days. I love the way my skin looks in the morning (just like my Decleor YY!).

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the mixing oils tips, ParisTroika and amylola. I hadn't thought to do that, but maybe it would be easier than layering or spot treating with different oils... Do you use any particular ratio?

Could you tell me a little bit more about the hyaluronic acid, amylola -- I'll do a little research myself, but I'm just curious what you use it for, how much you put in, etc.? Thanks!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
I'm so glad I came across this post. I was planning on returning to my Decleor Ylang Ylang oil because it worked well for me. (Instead of searching for new products, I'm trying to go back to what I've tried out the past few years so I don't waste anymore money!). I bought a bottle of argan oil from GoW (it showed up SO FAST!) and I've been pleasantly pleased with the results so far. Combined with tea tree oil (also from GoW) as a spot treatment, my face that was on its way to being a mess has since calmed down in only a few days. I love the way my skin looks in the morning (just like my Decleor YY!).

Is the spot treatment for acne?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

Is the spot treatment for acne?

Yes, I use it on my breakouts. It's cleared my skin up in only a few days. I forget sometimes the best remedies are the simplest Smile Yay for tea tree!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:36 am      Reply with quote
The blogger Futurederm has good things to say about argan oil. Apparently, argan oil has been tested to show the power of cosmeceutical ingredients. According to the blog, the skin guru Leslie Baumann told to the May 2008 issue of Elle:

Unlike other resources such as caviar and marine algae, argan oil offers the best of both worlds... It's an anti-ager and it's eco-friendly.

Here's the post "Spotlight on argan oil" on Futurederm:

http://www.futurederm.com/2008/04/13/spotlight-on-argan-oil/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:52 am      Reply with quote
KBLang, (or anyone who wants to chime in Smile

I think at some point you also mentioned marula oil. And you use one of them as a spot treatment and one all over. Which one's which? What's the difference between these 2 oils?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
KBLang, (or anyone who wants to chime in Smile

I think at some point you also mentioned marula oil. And you use one of them as a spot treatment and one all over. Which one's which? What's the difference between these 2 oils?

Hi Nimue, I actually haven't heard of marula oil, but I do also use tamanu oil (sometimes called Foraha Oil). There's a thread on it here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=29849

I use tamanu to spot treat red acne marks (what's left after the zit is gone). It's very viscus and doesn't sink in as well -- a little heavy for all-over use. So I continue to use argan oil as my nighttime all over moisturizer and use tamanu as my spot treatment. The argan sinks in well and doesn't have any scent, so I find its quite sleep friendly in that regard. My skin's a little too oily to wear oils during the day, but I really like it for nighttime. I just read that marula oil sinks in really well, so let us know if you find out more on it!

Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Ha! Clearly, I was even more confused than I thought I was. Laughing Thanks for clearing it up: argan all over, tamanu for spot treatment, marula you haven't tried yet.

KBLang wrote:

Hi Nimue, I actually haven't heard of marula oil, but I do also use tamanu oil (sometimes called Foraha Oil). There's a thread on it here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=29849

I use tamanu to spot treat red acne marks (what's left after the zit is gone). It's very viscus and doesn't sink in as well -- a little heavy for all-over use. So I continue to use argan oil as my nighttime all over moisturizer and use tamanu as my spot treatment. The argan sinks in well and doesn't have any scent, so I find its quite sleep friendly in that regard. My skin's a little too oily to wear oils during the day, but I really like it for nighttime. I just read that marula oil sinks in really well, so let us know if you find out more on it!

Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Marula oil is almost like a 'dry' oil, sinks in just instantly. Fastest absorbing oil I have ever seen.

We use it in our oilbased skin serums to increase absorption. It's great for 'all over' use.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
All, I just did a little research and it is recommended that one purchase deodorized argan oil. (see below)

http://edenallure.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-we-deodorize-our-argan-oil.html

GOW didn't mention if their version was deodorized, nor did Nature's Gift or Josie Maran. Sad

Can people please weigh in on whether or not these have a distinctive smell? I want ot order, but am allergic to many smells, so I would like to get the least smelliest right up front! Thanks!!

Editing to add: I already heard from GOW, and theirs is NOT deodorized. She did say that it smells great if you like nuts though.

BTW, here is a link I found on buying Argan oil...

Quote:
TOP 10 TIPS FOR BUYING ARGAN OIL

Before you rush off and purchase the first bottle you find of this liquid gold, be sure to read the below tips. You will soon realize that, firstly, not all argan oil is created equal. And, secondly, even the best raw material can be easily compromised due to the commercial manufacturing and treatment processes used by some cosmetics companies.

1. Make sure you are buying authentic argan oil.

If you are buying argan oil from a reputable (online) retailer in the USA or Europe, you can skip this tip and go straight to #2. However, if you are planning on purchasing the oil while visiting Morocco or from an unfamiliar retailer, then please read on. Apparently, some unsuspecting tourists browsing the local souks, or stopping at road-side stands, have been sold common vegetable oil simply labeled as argan oil. To avoid being duped, read the label and make sure the name of the cooperative that produced it is featured. Better yet, go directly to the cooperatives and buy it straight from the source.

2. If you are choosing to use argan oil as a beauty product, make sure you buy cosmetic grade and not culinary argan oil.

The nuts destined for culinary oil are roasted to bring out their distinctive nutty flavor; those that will be used for skin- and hair-care products are usually left raw to maintain the integrity of the essential fatty acids and vitamins.

3. To gain the maximum beauty benefit, choose argan oil that is all-natural and preferably certified organic.

That way you don't have to worry about how it was produced.

4. Choose first cold-pressed argan oil.

If you want to buy the best argan oil, look for oil that is labeled "first cold-pressed." Cold-pressed means that the oil was not heated over a certain temperature (usually 80 degrees Fahrenheit) during processing, thus retaining more nutrients and undergoing less degradation. First cold-pressed means that the oil was made with the first pressing of the argan nuts.

5. Above all, do your best to purchase fairly-traded argan oil.

Women in Morocco have greatly benefited from the heightened interest in argan oil and are now operating cooperatives in return for fair wages and good working conditions. By actively seeking out fair-trade products, you are supporting their efforts.

6. To preserve as many of the oil's properties as possible (and be more eco-friendly), opt for a dark-colored, UV-protected glass bottle, rather than a plastic container.

7. If you are not buying 100% pure argan oil, research the other ingredients in the finished product.

You will want to double check that they are not diminishing the oil's natural properties, such as acetic acid is thought to do.

8. Given its price, make sure that there is a high enough concentration of argan oil in any finished product you buy to make an actual difference in your skin.

Since argan oil has become the latest miracle ingredient in the beauty industry, its mere mention has lots of advertising power! A quick and easy way to ensure you are getting good amounts is to read the label. If argan oil is listed as one of the first ingredients, your money will be well-spent. If it appears as the last ingredient, then it's likely that it is being used in small quantities and you may not see the results you are looking for.

9. If you are sensitive to the natural nutty odor of argan oil (which does dissipate upon application), choose a product that has been deodorized.

Although it's preferable to use the oil in its 100% natural state, I understand that some people could be put off by its distinctive smell. To combat this, some companies offer a deodorized version, so bear this in mind if you have a sensitive nose!

10. Finally, if you want to enhance your health and beauty from the inside out, you might like to consume a tablespoon of culinary argan oil every day.

Be sure to choose a smaller size, opaque bottle though as, once open, the oil should be consumed relatively quickly and ideally be refrigerated. (As a side note, culinary argan oil should not be heated. Simply drizzle it over salads, vegetables and fish for a healthy, gourmet taste).

Armed with the above information, you should now be able to source the best argan oil for your needs and see for yourself why argan oil has become one of the beauty industry's latest miracle ingredients. http://searchwarp.com/swa345663.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Here is some more info...go to the article below for links to the specific products mentioned below.

Quote:
If you haven’t heard about argan oil yet, you’re in for a nice surprise.

Derived from the nuts of the fruit of the Argania Spinosa tree in Morocco, argan oil (also known as argon or argane oil) comes in two forms: cosmetic grade and culinary.

The cosmetic version has been used for centuries by women in Southwestern Morocco to naturally enhance their hair, skin and nails. European women have also known about this beauty secret for some time, but it has only recently begun to make waves in the USA thanks to word-of-mouth, as well as the efforts of the King of Morocco Mohammed VI and the local government to turn this liquid goal (as it is known in Europe) into a global export.

ARGAN OIL: PROPERTIES

Argan oil is deemed to be one of the world’s richest natural sources of vitamin E, which is a renown anti-aging and anti-wrinkle ingredient, especially liked for its antioxidant powers.

It also contains 80% essential fatty acids (to help reduce inflammation), as well as squalene (to help keep our skin soft), phytosterols (to help protect collagen) and phenolic compounds (to guard against free radicals).

All these elements combine to offer users a myriad of beauty benefits, including:

softer skin
diminished wrinkles
reduced scarring
balanced sebum production (helps clear acne and monthly blemishes)
relief for eczema and psoriasis (even for babies)

ARGAN OIL: RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS

The following are my recommended products. They are recognized as some of the best in the industry. Following rave reviews in Europe, Kaeline is now also being used as a professional line within the spa industry in the USA, so you can have spa quality treatments in the comfort of your own home.

Kaeline 100% Argan Oil - L’huile de Beaute

Kaeline Argan Oil Slimming Massage Oil

100% Raw Organic Argan Oil

Natural Anti-Aging Butter Unrefined Grade A Shea Butter and Organic Unrefined Argan Oil Blend

Eden Allure - Deodorized and Certified Organic Argan Oil

If you wish to further enhance your natural beauty from the inside out, try consuming 1 tablespoon of argan oil every day. Not only have numerous studies shown its health benefits but it also tastes great when drizzled over salads, vegetables and fish (note: argan oil should not be heated or used for cooking. It is also best kept in the refrigerator once opened).

Mustapha’s Organic Moroccan Argan Oil

ARGAN OIL: DIRECTIONS FOR USE

Face:
If you are using pure cosmetic grade argan oil, you only need to use a few drops for your entire face. A little really does go a long way. You can apply it at night as an intensive moisturizing treatment and/or in the morning as a base for your makeup. The oil penetrates easily, does not leave an oily residue and can even be used around the eye area.First, cleanse your face using a cleansing agent that is appropriate for your skin type. Next, use a toner or splash your face with cold water. Finally, take a few drops of argan oil in the tips of your fingers, rub fingers together gently to warm the oil, then apply to face, including eye area. If time permits, spend a few moments lightly massaging your skin and gently tapping around the eye area to help the oil penetrate and give your skin a boost of energy.

Body: Simply apply as you would any other lotion or oil. There is even an argan oil for slimming and aid with cellulite (see recommended products).

Nails: If your nails and cuticles are looking a little worse for wear, simply soak them in a mixture of argan oil and lemon juice for 10 minutes (or even overnight). This will not only soften your cuticles and limit nail breakage but will also give a healthy shine to your nails.

Hair: For an intensive hair treatment to improve dry scalp and add shine, apply a generous amount of oil to dry hair, then wrap in a warm towel and leave for 30 minutes. Wash and style as usual.

TIP 1: Start by using argan oil at night only to see how your skin likes it. You can then progress to twice a day if your skin needs extra hydration or you can simply apply it to dry or wrinkle-prone areas.

TIP 2: Argan oil has a distinctive natural odor which may deter more sensitive-nosed people from using it. If that is the case, opt for a deodorized version, such as Eden Allure - Deodorized and Certified Organic Argan Oil.

http://naturifique.com/blog/?s=argan

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Nature's Gift is odorless... well so little odor that it honestly doesn't matter... (the only truly odorless oil I know of is Fractionated Coconut, and it's highly processed.)

I think it's the food grade that's "odorific" there are two very different types on the market...cosmetic or food grade, as mentioned above.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Marge!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:03 am      Reply with quote
MargefromTN wrote:
Nature's Gift is odorless... well so little odor that it honestly doesn't matter... (the only truly odorless oil I know of is Fractionated Coconut, and it's highly processed.)

I think it's the food grade that's "odorific" there are two very different types on the market...cosmetic or food grade, as mentioned above.

Just wanted to second that this is my experience with Nature's Gift also -- no smell. I had Josie Maran first, and it was also odor-free, but Nature's Gift is much more reasonably priced. Hubbie is scent sensitive too, and the argan has been fine for him too (he liked my results and started using it himself!) HTH!

ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:16 am      Reply with quote
I ordered from GoW. While it has a slight scent, my argan oil isn't that aromatic. It sinks in beautifully and is fantastic!
I've had experience with worse (ahem..neem..neem...) Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks all...I ended up ordering the smallest size from GoW (along with camellia, avocado,rosehip, tea tree, and castor oil).

I have officially converted to oils and chunked my traditional moisturizers...yay!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I'm about to order from GoW but I'm confused- there's 2 pages for argan oil- one is 6$, and the other is 8$. Which one did you order? Question

http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/3987807/4726163.htm

http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/3987807/3777591.htm

bethany wrote:
Thanks all...I ended up ordering the smallest size from GoW (along with camellia, avocado,rosehip, tea tree, and castor oil).

I have officially converted to oils and chunked my traditional moisturizers...yay!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I ordered the 6 dollar one...didn't even notice there are two pages!

Nimue wrote:
I'm about to order from GoW but I'm confused- there's 2 pages for argan oil- one is 6$, and the other is 8$. Which one did you order? Question

http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/3987807/4726163.htm

http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/3987807/3777591.htm

bethany wrote:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |