Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pls advise on order of use
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:35 am      Reply with quote
Please can someone advise whether the following regime is the best ‘order of use’ considering the products I am using?

AM

Cleanse/Tone
Skinceuticals CE Ferulic
Oil of Olay Definity
Moisturiser (currently using drugstore brand but on lookout for appropriate replacement)
LRP Fluide Extreme

PM
DDF Cleanser
DDF Toner
Emu oil
Oil of Olay Definity
Cellex C New Skin Complex/Decleor Baume Essential

Would it be benefical to use the C serum in the evening as well? Could I use either emu oil or camellia oil on top of the c serum before the moisturiser?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. Very Happy
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nikita, it looks like you're using things in the right order. You don't have to use the CE Ferulic at night too, it's only meant to be used once a day - in the morning.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:46 am      Reply with quote
right, it is sufficient to use vit.C once a day. And here are some more tips that I`ve learned on this forum:

you shouldn`t apply vit.C on wet skin or it can oxidize vit.C, so there is 10 min waiting time after cleansing. You skin should be completely dry.
Also leave at least 10 minutes for vit.C to absorb, before applying anything else.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Nikita, A good rule of thumb to remember is to apply "thin to thick"... So it would be;

Serums -
Lotions -
Creams -

Let each absorb well before applying the next. I'd also add that the "Olay" product you mentioned is a moisturizer as well, so you can skip an additional one there..

Also keep in mind that piling more and more on, isn't necessarily better. Keep it simple with good quality products. And unless you really feel you 'need' the toner, I would omit that, and get yourself a microfiber cloth instead.

You chose really nice products BTW.... Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all...thanks so much for your replies! I only started the regime described above yesterday (!!) as I just received my order of the CE Ferlic and Definity. I had scanned the forum trying to select the best products for my skin, I hope I have made the right choices!

Today I def did apply too many layers, which then meant my sunscreen didnt absorb well and I had a white cast all day. I think I will skip the moisturiser tomorrow, its just on the definity instructions it says to follow with a moisturiser and as I have fairly dry skin I thought it best not to skip it. However, the CE Ferulic seems to be quite moisturising as well so I dont think I will lose out if I skip that step in the morning.

Thanks for the tip about wet skin and waiting before applying c serum. Im in such a rush in the morning its easy to forget and not wait before applying each stage.

Just one last thing, on the days I choose not to use definity, could I use either emu or camellia oil on top of the vit c serum instead?

Thanks again for all your help, its really appreciated Very Happy
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
Thanks for the tip about wet skin and waiting before applying c serum. Im in such a rush in the morning its easy to forget and not wait before applying each stage.

Nikita, vit.C requires at least 10 min waiting time after applying as well. So: cleansing - 10 min - vit.C - 10 min (minimum) - anything else

it should be Ok to use emu or other oil on top of vit.C as long as you wait for it be absorbed. As far as I know, when vit.C is absorbed, it sinks completely into skin and you are free to use whatever you want (with the exception of copper peptides though).

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Nikita.
After cleansing, I apply my vit C serum, wait 10-15 minutes, and then apply emu oil (mixed with some HA serum or SKB to make it sink right in), and sunscreen when required.

Emu oil is an excellent moisturizer. I think it's unnecessary to apply a moisturizer on top. I agree with Kassy - there's no need to layer different moisturizers.

I have now learnt from Aiva that I should wait 10 minutes between cleansing and applying vit C serum, and will do my best to follow this advice from tomorrow morning. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Ok got that..10 minutes before and 10 minutes after! Which I have to get up 20 minutes earlier!! Shock

Thank you guys:)
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
That's a good call to skip the moisturizer step. My sunscreen is definitely enough of a moisturizer.

Nikita wrote:
Hi all...thanks so much for your replies! I only started the regime described above yesterday (!!) as I just received my order of the CE Ferlic and Definity. I had scanned the forum trying to select the best products for my skin, I hope I have made the right choices!

Today I def did apply too many layers, which then meant my sunscreen didnt absorb well and I had a white cast all day. I think I will skip the moisturiser tomorrow, its just on the definity instructions it says to follow with a moisturiser and as I have fairly dry skin I thought it best not to skip it. However, the CE Ferulic seems to be quite moisturising as well so I dont think I will lose out if I skip that step in the morning.

Just one last thing, on the days I choose not to use definity, could I use either emu or camellia oil on top of the vit c serum instead?

Thanks again for all your help, its really appreciated Very Happy
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip about waiting after cleansing for the Vit C, Aiva. I knew to wait after but not before...

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Your AM routine looks VERY good Nikita! We almost have the same regimen (except I use Oil of Olay Total Effects, although I would use definity if it wasnt fragranced). For the Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) it would actually be ideal to wait around 20-30 minutes (I think thats why Aiva said at least 10 min) if possible bc the ascorbic acid needs to be unionized (needs a ph of 3.5 to penetrate the skin). Although sometimes its not practical of course, but if your not rushed in the morning its best to wait a little longer. I only do longer than 20 minutes when I don't have any place to be, other than that its usually 10-20 minutes. Just something to keep in mind...

Also, ascorbic acid stays in your skin for up to 72 hours so technically you wouldnt have to use a C serum everyday, if you perhaps wanted to save some money.

Have you ever considered using a retinoid in the evening??? It's THE most effective anti-aging treatment available (rebuilds collagen and elastin). Order of importance usu goes 1) sunscreen 2)retinoid 3)antioxidants...
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:08 am      Reply with quote
Using definity with LRP fluide extreme does not work. Two days in a row I have ended up with a very visible white cast which then balls up and rubs off. It's not nice. Yet when I used my normal moisturiser under the LRP it was fine. So I think I will have to leave the definity till the evening.

Septembergirl thanks for the tip about mixing the oil, but I dont have any of the products you mentioned so will have to look into that!

Ocean, thank you for your advise about the retinoid. I havent ever used one before, but would like to incorporate it into my routine. Are there any you recommend? Though I am 35 I have fairly good skin, no lines or wrinkles as yet, just a few pale freckles. My skin can be quite dry though, and I do get the very occasional spot.

You guys are brill, thanks for all your help!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I have now learnt from Aiva that I should wait 10 minutes between cleansing and applying vit C serum, and will do my best to follow this advice from tomorrow morning. Smile

I don`t think these 10 min between cleansing & vit.C are very strict, they are here just to ensure that your skin is completely dry when you apply your vit.C
good luck! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:19 am      Reply with quote
as for the 10 min after vit.C, yes, this is at least. Ocean is right ( hi, Ocean wave ), 20-30 min waiting will be the best.
but who has half an hour in the morning? Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that oils should go on after creams. So your emu oil should be applied last. Also, emu oil is a "pusher" - it pushes other products into the skin.
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Ocean, thank you for your advise about the retinoid. I havent ever used one before, but would like to incorporate it into my routine. Are there any you recommend? Though I am 35 I have fairly good skin, no lines or wrinkles as yet, just a few pale freckles. My skin can be quite dry though, and I do get the very occasional spot.

Sorry for the late reply Nikita, I use Renova as my retinoid bc its less irritating due to the emolient base. However I am definitely going to switch to a generic retinoid or Retin-A bc Renova is not covered by insurance and cost around $180!!! Prescription retinoid is definitely the best choice. You should probably start off with a .025% tretinoin (the active ingredient) retinoid. It takes a while for the skin to adjust. The different brands of retinoids all have the same active ingredient tretinoin they only differ in the base (ie more moisturizing cream, a gel base etc). There are synthetic retinoids that are equivalent to tretinoin like Tazorac or Avage, but are more irritating and do not activate all the receptors in the skin like tretinoin.

The best OTC product would probably be Avene Diacneal, it has retinaldehyde and glycolic acid. It is stronger than retinol and gives similar results to rx retinoids. So you could always start with this or a regular OTC retinol product to get your skin used to retinoids.

With a retinoid in your routine at night, plus the other products you are using: vitamin C and other antioxidants (CE Ferulic), one of the best sunscreens (LRP), and moisturizer like olay definity with niacinamde, i think you have the perfect regimen.

***forgot to mention that you can get retinoid w/o a prescription online, thats where most people get them***
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ocean thanks again for your reply. You have such a wealth of knowledge!
Ive searched a bit on google and all I can find about retinoid is with the treatment of acne. It all sounds bit scary to use!
Also, being in the UK it will most probably be much more difficult to obtain, but I will need to spend a bit more time researching it.

I am sure the benefits of its use are numerous, but could you just give me an overview of what it is used for, even if you dont have acne?

Thanks again. Smile
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:10 am      Reply with quote
Just looked on the skinceuticals site, they do a 0.5% product:
http://www.skinceuticals.co.uk/retinol.html

Would that be a good one to start with, or is it too strong?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:09 am      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
Just looked on the skinceuticals site, they do a 0.5% product:
http://www.skinceuticals.co.uk/retinol.html

Would that be a good one to start with, or is it too strong?

I think this is a great retinol product to start with. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:29 am      Reply with quote
My sister is in India right now and can get the retinol for me, apparently she asked in the chemist and can get both a .025% and .050% with the active ingredient tretinoin in them. They are very cheap, approx. £1 for a 25ml tube. I have asked her to buy some for me.

So how would I go about using these? Am I right in thinking that I would start off with 2/3 days per week and then build up to daily use, using it for 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off? I already use Cellex C's new skin complex which I believe has AHA's in it. Is this (tretinoin) product safe to use on such a regular basis?

Would an appropriate PM regime with tretinoin in be:

Cleanse
Emu Oil
tretinoin
moisturiser (but then is it ok to use any night cream with tretinoin?)

Thanks for your help:)
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
My sister is in India right now and can get the retinol for me, apparently she asked in the chemist and can get both a .025% and .050% with the active ingredient tretinoin in them. They are very cheap, approx. £1 for a 25ml tube. I have asked her to buy some for me.

So how would I go about using these? Am I right in thinking that I would start off with 2/3 days per week and then build up to daily use, using it for 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off? I already use Cellex C's new skin complex which I believe has AHA's in it. Is this (tretinoin) product safe to use on such a regular basis?

Cleanse
Emu Oil
tretinoin

The tretinoin products have better scientific backing for their efficiency than OTC retinol products.

I recently bought several tubes of 0.025 and 0.050 % tretinoin gels from an Indian online pharmacy. I have started with the weakest solution and use it 2 - 3 times a week and will gradually build up to everyday use. You can use it without breaks. I have never heard that it's necessary to take six weeks off.

Tretinoin must be applied on cleansed skin (no emu oil). Preferably, tretinoin should be used on its own without a moisturizer on top. I believe you can use a moisturizer or emu oil on top if your skin gets very dry.

Personally, I would have skipped the glycolic acid product, since tretinoin is an exfoliating agent.

HTH. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:

Cleanse
Emu Oil
tretinoin

Start off with the 0.25% every other day and see how your skin reacts. Your routine should be:

Cleanse - wait 30mins
Tretinoin
Moisturiser - not really needed if you are using emu oil. But if you must, don't use one with AHA's at the same time as Retin-A.
Emu oil

6 weeks on/6weeks off is fine if you want to give your skin a rest. Many people however, use Retin-A on a daily basis long term - I do, and have had no problems.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
as for the 10 min after vit.C, yes, this is at least. Ocean is right ( hi, Ocean wave ), 20-30 min waiting will be the best.
but who has half an hour in the morning? Embarassed

I know I don't! When I start using a vitamin C serum, I'll be using it at night. I wouldn't want to be layering too much product in the morning anyway.
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies. My skin is quite dry, I suffer from eczema on my elbow, though not on my face. Even when I put the emu oil on my skin does feel dry, which is why I think that the tretinoin will be too drying for me on its own. Would Olay definity be ok to use?

And once I do build up to daily use, do I have to use it every single night or is it okay to take break from it? I read about the 6 week cycle somewhere on another forum, something about 6 weeks of retinA and then 6 weeks of AHA, maybe Ive got it wrong.

So as long as I use the tretinoin first, and then wait for a while before applying emu oil/moisturiser thats ok?
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I have never heard of 6 weeks on/6 weeks off tretinoin cycle. Either never heard of alternating tretinoin with AHA. why should you? tretinoid is a very strong exfoliant and people have enough peeling from it. What will be beneficial is some mild scrub to take away the peeling skin if you will have such.

As far as I know tretinoin should be used 2-3 nights a week at first, then every other night, then every night for a year or so. After 1 or 1.5 year you can switch to maintenance, using it 2-3 times a week.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |