Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Philosophy Hope in a Jar, anyone try it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
My mother has been checking out the Sephora website because I will be traveling to Toronto soon and of course will be stopping in there multiple times! Both her and I can't wait to try a new product that we can't get here. She has been looking at the Philosophy Hope in a Jar cream and the Makeup Optional kit that it comes in too. I was wondering if anyone here has used it or not and what they thought about it as an anti wrinkle product? She has been looking at the Bliss Youth as we know it cream too but I've found lots of reviews on it here...most not so good! So, any thoughts on Hope in a Jar?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hope in a jar was irritation in a jar for me. I've tried many of Philosophy's skin care items and didn't like any of it. I found most it irritating and I don't consider myself to have really sensitive skin.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have never used any of the Philosophy products myself. I was curious about Hope in A Jar once, and checked out the reviews on SkinStore. From 46 reviewers the product got an average of 3.5 out of 5 stars. You can read the reviews here:

http://www.skinstore.com/search/Search.aspx?ReviewID=4933

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
I hated the smell of this and I'm not easily deterred! I wear Ferulic acid for goodness sake but this was like a chemically lavender smell. It almost made my breathing difficult. There was something in the list of ingredients that put me off, can't remember what it was now. I think it was quite good for my skin, nothing amazing though. It scored highly in 'The Beauty Bible' so perhaps I'm in the minority.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
OH GOD THE STENCH. I just used this for the first time the other day because I got a free full-size jar from Sephora... it takes, like, four hours for the godawful scent to fade. And I even started adding a very small amount of essential oil (because too much would be detrimental) but nothing masks it. YEEEECCCCHHHH!!!!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
pouliche

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
i used Hope in a Jar last summer. It's too rich for summer (for my type of skin). I will return to it as soon as winter will come!

I bought the 'dry and sensitive skin' and i think that because of that, the smell is less intense than the 'normal' one.

I loved it so much and it moisturize so well my skin that a bought one for my mom (she use it everyday).

Sephora can give you sample if you ask them. And because of the texture of this cream, you will have enough to try it well.
pouliche

Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
oups... i used it last winter! (sorry, french girl!!)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
OH GOD THE STENCH. I just used this for the first time the other day because I got a free full-size jar from Sephora... it takes, like, four hours for the godawful scent to fade. And I even started adding a very small amount of essential oil (because too much would be detrimental) but nothing masks it. YEEEECCCCHHHH!!!!

WOW!!! They must have really changed the formula, it's been a good number of years since I used it but I HATE anything with fragrance! When I did it barely had any smell at all, nothing exciting about it just a decent moisturizer. Shock

5% products discount

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have interest in this product. After reading the reviews, the only thing impressed me was that its scent is terrible.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
vinco wrote:
I used to have interest in this product. After reading the reviews, the only thing impressed me was that its scent is terrible.

LOL I couldn't agree more after the consensus about the awful odor. It killed any temptation to revisit this product!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I wasn't impressed with Hope in a Jar. I received it as a gift and it smelled strong and was nothing more than an average moisturizer in my opinion.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:32 am      Reply with quote
I just bought it on the QVC beauty day. Anywho, I LOVE IT!!!!

I bought a sample "Try me kit" about two years ago when Oprah was raving about Hope in a jar or was it a year ago...i forget. Laughing

Anyway, outside of her reading lists- I have yet to be steared wrong on her beauty picks. So i tried and and I liked the product alot. I wasn't too impressed with some of the other products but I've changed my mind on those too.

I don't care for the scent too, but I found it fades quickly and what the product does it make my skin feel amazing. It is so smooth and soft. I bought the large jar on QVC for 5 easy payments and I put it on auto delivery so now I don't have to worry about big expense. I can stretch it out with payments I am comfy with and I don't have to be stingy with it. I have my nine year old using it to help with mild acne. I have her using Purity and Hope in a jar and those little bumps on her cheeks are gone. She really loves how it makes her skin feel.

I also bought a Mia and I found that the combo of Hope in a jar and the Mia to be a winner. My skin has never looked or felt as good as it has in the last two weeks.

My Husband likes how my skin feels too so this is a keeper for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Personally, Philosophy products work well for me. I really think it is a good line that is mid-priced. It delivers results.

I used Hope in a Jar before, but needed something heavier so I used When Hope is Not Enough for a while. I loved the scent, even though a lot of people here feel it's too heavy. I used it at night, so it was more like aromatherapy for me when I went to bed.

Currently not using it because I've incorporated retin A. So I've switched to a much milder, unscented cream for now.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I love philosophy products. I have used them for years and am always happy with the results. Hope in a Jar is a great light whipped moistuizer. I think one thing to keep in mind is that they are very concentrated and a little goes a very long way.

I highly recommend the kit because it is a very good value...the cleanser (Purity) is my HG cleanser.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Blaze and Olivia,

I am so glad you both posted I thought I was losing my mind, I am usually extremely sensitive to scents in skin care products and I never had issues with the smell of these products! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I rather enjoy the scent. Very nice products!!
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Blaze and Olivia,

I am so glad you both posted I thought I was losing my mind, I am usually extremely sensitive to scents in skin care products and I never had issues with the smell of these products! Very Happy

DM, I'm with you. There are some scents that make me gag, but this one smells pretty good to me.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |