Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser: a Fine Rave
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 am      Reply with quote
I posted about this on the Clarisonic thread, but wanted to mention it here, too.

This cleanser got on my radar last month when it was in a magazine (I think "Real Simple") as a Readers' or Editors' Favorite for Dry Sensitive skin. I have "changing" (read: aging) combo/oily skin, but I use enough AHA/BHA's already, and a nice hydrating cleanser sounded just right for me.

CeraVe is available at the drugstore (MAJOR PLUS) and comes in a pump bottle. No SLS -- another plus. I used it and was very happy with how my skin felt afterwards. Soft and not tight.

I often get in from work after midnight, and need a fast fix before I fall into bed. (I am all-puffed-up to say I am almost 53 and have never gone to bed with makeup on. Not one single night.) I often use Boots "Quick Thinking" wipes to take off my mineral makeup, and so for a few weeks, I continued to use the Boots on lazy or exhausted days, and the CeraVe in the shower or on at-home days.

Enter the Clarisonic. I use the CeraVe with the Clarisonic and it is perfect. Great texture, no fragrance, hydrating, neat and easy, inexpensive and -- did I mention it's right in your drugstore? On a lower shelf; they don't pay the "eye level placement" fees. Even Cetaphil I have found drying to my skin -- I have waxy thick sebum, which is a boon nowadays, but still must be dissolved on a regular basis somehow.

CeraVe and the Clarisonic will be my solutions for the foreseeable future. My skin is very, very happy I found these. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:07 am      Reply with quote
I am excited by this brand. Some thought it was better then Cetaphil.
I live in Canada and it's hard to say when this will be sold in Canada. Maybe EDS will be selling this line?
havana8

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Nice review, Sidda! The cleanser was mentioned on the morning news in March from Paula's list as Best Water Soluble Cleanser for All Skin Types and the lotion as Best Head to Toe Moisturizer...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080320/Paula_Begoun_080320/20080320/
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:58 am      Reply with quote
I did some reading on this product last night. Various sites including MUA. Not that favorable reviews. Many state that it is similar to Cetaphil, but rinses better. Cetaphil is a horrible product that burns and SMELLS horrible. Can anyone else give more examples of "why" they love this product? I am all for trying something OTC, that is cheap, if it works. I have never seen or heard of this product.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Paula is a great resource, but a lot of her reviews are based on the formulation alone it seems
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
And MUA is often the opposite -- reviews based solely on one use, with NO attention to the ingredient list. Empirical evidence from those with your same concerns is best.

Those who compare it to Cetaphil certainly aren't reading ingredients. CeraVe has no SLS (Cetaphil does) and contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid early in its list. It cleans well and rinses will, and has no fragrance or taste at all. Great texture, pump bottle, affordable, hydrating, easy to find.

Do you want more reasons WHY? It is a newish product with no marketing budget. That's why you don't know it. The product itself is terrific.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
It really has worked well for me and I am in LOVE with the price. There are enough products that you have to pay top dollar for, isn't it nice to find one reasonable and actually good for you also. Very Happy
Toby
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda, I am sure you are correct about MUA reviews are based on usage, which for me...that would be exactly what I am looking for. When I look for products to switch to, or products that may target a specific need of mine, I often look for reviews of people that have used the products and have experienced (good or bad) outcomes. I agree that the ingredients list of Cetaphil and this are different, but the reviews of the people that used it both on MUA and other sites, have not proven to be something that I would even entertain, that is just me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:42 am      Reply with quote
I believe I just said that? "Empirical evidence from those with your same concerns is best"? (Empirical means personal experience.)

Those on MUA who thought CeraVe is like Cetaphil could only have meant they are both white, creamy, and come in a pump bottle. No similarity after that, not in ingredients, not in effect, not in fragrance or moisturizing ability. But are they alike to those who don't read labels or know ingredients? Sure. Both are white, creamy, and come in a pump bottle. :->

It's often pretty easy to tell where a reviewer is coming from, what her agenda is, and how knowledgeable she is about overall skin care issues. I'd trust EDS forum members long before I'd go with an MUA -- or Paula B. -- review. But even here, I am careful to check signatures, etc; age and skin type can mean her rave is about skin exactly not like mine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I so wanted to love this cleanser. It is quite popular but it stung my skin like crazy. I don't know what ingredient could have caused that reaction. I tried to use this a few separate times too.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
I believe I just said that? "Empirical evidence from those with your same concerns is best"? (Empirical means personal experience.)

Empirical means the result were derived from controlled scientific experiment.

A personal review is not empirical, it is anecdotal.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
And MUA is often the opposite -- reviews based solely on one use, with NO attention to the ingredient list. Empirical evidence from those with your same concerns is best.

Those who compare it to Cetaphil certainly aren't reading ingredients. CeraVe has no SLS (Cetaphil does) and contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid early in its list. It cleans well and rinses will, and has no fragrance or taste at all. Great texture, pump bottle, affordable, hydrating, easy to find.

Do you want more reasons WHY? It is a newish product with no marketing budget. That's why you don't know it. The product itself is terrific.

I have to agree with you Sidda on the MUA reviews. They drive me nuts and yet I read them anyway. I usually come away shaking my head wondering if anyone actually reads over there, not just the ingredients but the product description. "OMG!!!! This was the worst make up ever made!! It didn't cover any of my blemishes!!!!!" And right there in the product description is the phrase 'sheer coverage'. I suppose this is due just to the fact there are so many reviews and there are good ones, of course, but many times, you have to wonder.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I do agree with you all to a certain extent on the MUA reviews. You do have to read through the people that "dog" product just because the packaging or...are not using it for the correct part of the body, or looking for it to give them some miracle cure, but I do like sifting through it for various things, like lots of reviews.....which means the word is out there and maybe I should give it a try/ I also like to see what my options are, so I will go there. What I do like about the forum is it is easier to find the product(s) that you might be in search of. Here, when I search on a product..I have to sift through pages and pages that may or MAY not even talk about the product I am in search of. That's all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have not tried the cleanser but the moisturizing cream made me break out...tried it on my hands and it caused someitching.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
tweety wrote:
I have not tried the cleanser but the moisturizing cream made me break out...tried it on my hands and it caused someitching.

Cetaphil did that for me too...

I know I know CeraVe does not equal Cetaphil heheehhe!
JonnyNJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the Cerave cleanser yesterday and I used it last night. I really like it.

Usually I take my eye makeup off with an eye makeup remover and then use whatever creamy/oily based makeup remover that I have lying around (and I have many) and then wash with Cetaphil cleanser to remove the residue of the makeup remover.

This year, for some reason my indoor humidity is 20% and the Cetaphil is leaving my face feeling a bit dry. The Cerave cleanser took off my face makeup off and rinsed off readily leaving my face clean and not dry. My face makeup consisted of two thin applications of oil-based liquid makeup and one application of pressed powder which I applied using my brand new BeautyBlender sponge (yet another EDS lemming product and I did apply my pressed powder with the damp sponge). I tested the removal by wiping an area with witch hazel and there was no residual makeup on the cotton pad as there is with many cleansers.

I will use both Cetaphil and Cerave cleansers depending upon the season of the the year, the humidity, and the products to be removed from my skin.

I like the BeautyBlender sponge also. So I have discovered two more good products courtesy of the helpful EDS community. Smile
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have to chime in on this one... I think CeRave is amazing stuff. I use the large jar of cream..which if you use right after a shower or bath..seals in all the moisture in your skin with just a dab. I also use the cleanser after loving the cream so much. I have used Cetaphil before...mmm no where close for me.

My husband's dermatologist turned him onto the cream..he said.."tell your wife to throw out all the $100 dollar face creams..this stuff is patented..has a special way of keeping moisture in the skin." He is right. My husband..who suffered from chronically itchy legs was cured immediately. I use it with my clarsonic..and it also got rid of my chest wrinkles. It is the best $17 you'll ever spend. It will make you look younger...head to toe.
JonnyNJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
I have to chime in on this one... I think CeRave is amazing stuff. I use the large jar of cream..which if you use right after a shower or bath..seals in all the moisture in your skin with just a dab. I also use the cleanser after loving the cream so much. I have used Cetaphil before...mmm no where close for me.

I want to try the Cerave cream after having tried the cleanser. The cleanser appears to be the one that I have been searching for over the last few years. I still love Cetaphil and I know that I will use it during the summer.

Do you use the Cerave cream on your face?
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Jonny..

I do use it on my face and all over my body. I also love the cleanser and I have purchased the night cream,as well. But, in my opinion, if you buy the large jar 16 oz cream for $17..you could use it for all three and save $$$. I found that it really just holds moisture in your skin..making it look youthful and plump. Remember to apply to wet skin..it goes a long long way.
At the drugstore...the girl behind the cosmetics counter told me..."all the older people come in for that because it is the only thing that works in healing their dry sensitive thin skin ..she pointed out another brand that is recommended by doctors also..but it was something I've never heard of before. My husband's derm told him that the company has patented some type of delivery system that locks moisture in the skin...something no other cream has..that is why he recommends it...

I find when I run out...I feel like my skin is suffering..lol..needs a drink.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think, this line is sold in Canada. I would like to try it since, apparently, it is suitable for sensitive skin.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
I don't think, this line is sold in Canada. I would like to try it since, apparently, it is suitable for sensitive skin.

You could order it from drugstore.com or lovelyskin.com

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
I posted about this on the Clarisonic thread, but wanted to mention it here, too.

This cleanser got on my radar last month when it was in a magazine (I think "Real Simple") as a Readers' or Editors' Favorite for Dry Sensitive skin. I have "changing" (read: aging) combo/oily skin, but I use enough AHA/BHA's already, and a nice hydrating cleanser sounded just right for me.

CeraVe is available at the drugstore (MAJOR PLUS) and comes in a pump bottle. No SLS -- another plus. I used it and was very happy with how my skin felt afterwards. Soft and not tight.

I often get in from work after midnight, and need a fast fix before I fall into bed. (I am all-puffed-up to say I am almost 53 and have never gone to bed with makeup on. Not one single night.) I often use Boots "Quick Thinking" wipes to take off my mineral makeup, and so for a few weeks, I continued to use the Boots on lazy or exhausted days, and the CeraVe in the shower or on at-home days.

Enter the Clarisonic. I use the CeraVe with the Clarisonic and it is perfect. Great texture, no fragrance, hydrating, neat and easy, inexpensive and -- did I mention it's right in your drugstore? On a lower shelf; they don't pay the "eye level placement" fees. Even Cetaphil I have found drying to my skin -- I have waxy thick sebum, which is a boon nowadays, but still must be dissolved on a regular basis somehow.

CeraVe and the Clarisonic will be my solutions for the foreseeable future. My skin is very, very happy I found these. Very Happy

Sidda, I am so impressed on how well you take care of your skin! That you come home late from work, which tells me that your job is demanding and the stress that can affect your skin it goes through is probably very high.
I've read a lot of good reviews of CeraVe but it can't be found in Canada. Can this cleanser be used on the eyes? Is this a gentle cleanser that it can only remove light eye makeup? My skin can get dry and sensitive due to the prescription that I use, but I am/was acne prone.......so does this mean that CeraVe is safe for people who are acne prone? Does your skin feel clean after the wash or do you feel any form of moisturizing left behind from your wash? I read above that you said it left your skin hydrating.....does that mean that you don't need to apply moisturizer afterwards? Also, have you ever tried Cellcosmet cream cleanser? I know that it is expensive, buy in case you have, can you compare it to CeraVe cleanser? Also, can you wash with CeraVe without using any water?
RussianSunshine, maybe we work out a solution so that we can help each other out to get a bottle of CeraVe?
I am a huge fan of Cetaphil, but if CeraVe is that much better, it is worth giving it a try. In fact, it was Paula Begoun who introduced me to Cetaphil many years ago from her first book.
Don't forget to use vitamin C so that your skin will stay firm longer.
PosyLee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if this is available in Australia?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I use CeraVe cream for facial massage. It is perfect for this. And your face feels very moisturized afterward. I tend to follow with a very hot washcloth and then apply treatment while the pores are open.

Great stuff - good handcream also.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I use CeraVe cream for facial massage. It is perfect for this. And your face feels very moisturized afterward. I tend to follow with a very hot washcloth and then apply treatment while the pores are open.

Great stuff - good handcream also.

S.S. I use it also with my vaculifter..perfect for sliding and gliding it around...and the moisturizing benefit too! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |