Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

]Vitamin C Serum that helps in blemishes, spot ...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Fairrene
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin C Serum that helps in blemishes, spot or Pigmentation

Anyone has any recommendation of Vit C serum that has help reduce the dark spots etc. Thanks
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have not used vit C myself, however I understand that it has many benefits. Please do a search on it and you will find so many posts and helpful tips....

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a very good thread to get you started:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29775

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:15 am      Reply with quote
Serums with minimum 10 % vit C can help fading spots and pigmentation. Some of the most popular vit C serums sold by EDS are Vivier, CellularskinRX C+, PSF C serum and one of my own favorites, SkinMedica C Complex.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Fairrene wrote:
Vitamin C Serum that helps in blemishes, spot or Pigmentation

IMO you would get faster/better results using an AHA or retinol. But Vit C Serum is a great antioxidant the products already suggested are good choices.
Fairrene
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone ... yes,i have been reading other post too and have those few brands mentioned above.
I am trying to choose between a few but it seems rather difficult as the prices varies and i wonder if higher price means better effectiveness. For eg, SkinMedica $80.75 Versus PSF $45. Both contain 15% Vit C. Thus, it will help by listening to user's experience..
Fairrene
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:01 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, the thread you suggested is very informative. I have not finished reading them but it give me another perspective of examining Vit C other than focussing on the different brands of Vit C. tks
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Your best choice will probably be a vit C serum with l-ascorbic acid, as it seems to have more scientific backing than the vit C derivatives.

The drawback is that l-ascorbic acid is highly unstable, and some of the C serums oxidize too quickly after opening. If the serum turns dark, it can do more harm than good on your skin. In my own experience, CellularskinRX C +, Vivier serums and SkinMedica Complex are stable for several months after opening.

Some people find l-ascorbic acid irritating, and it can cause clogged pores with some. If that's the case, a serum with a vit C derivative can be a better choice. A brand to consider is Janson Beckett C & C serum that contains two different vit C derivatives and a fairly high amount of mulberry extract.

On my skin SkinMedica was less likely to clog pores than any of the other serums I have been using. It contains 10 % l-ascorbic acid and 5 % of the oil soluble form tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate and vit E in an anhydreous silicone base. It's a light, creamy gel.

No matter which serum you will go for, it's wise to buy sample sizes first. On Ebay you can buy samples of SkinMedica and SkinCeuticals serums (and perhaps others). Good luck. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I am using NeoStrata Vitamin C concentrate. Has anyone also tried this product.

I have been using it for half a year now and I do see improvement on my freckles and spots and general luminocity when I use it.

I do find it drying after continous use. There is definitely a decrease in acne and scars but increase in black/whiteheads and pore size. I tried to use a lot of things to combat the dryness which leaves me either too oily or not moisturized enough. I tried stopping this product but it gives me more acne and yellow tint once I stopped it.

I think I am addicted to vitamin C. Should I switch? If so, which one would you guys recommend? I want a cheap one that perhaps I can mix in with my oil-free moisturizer.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:07 am      Reply with quote
cchan2009 wrote:

I have been using it for half a year now and I do see improvement on my freckles and spots and general luminocity when I use it.

I do find it drying after continous use. There is definitely a decrease in acne and scars but increase in black/whiteheads and pore size. I tried to use a lot of things to combat the dryness which leaves me either too oily or not moisturized enough. I tried stopping this product but it gives me more acne and yellow tint once I stopped it.

I think I am addicted to vitamin C. Should I switch? If so, which one would you guys recommend? I want a cheap one that perhaps I can mix in with my oil-free moisturizer.

It's too bad that l-ascorbic acid tends to clog pores when it has got so many other benefits. My solution to the problem is to use a l-ascorbic acid serum on most of my face, and Janson Beckett C & C around my nose. This serum contains vitamin C derivatives and is less likely to clog pores.

Vitamin C serum can lose some of its effectiveness if mixed with a moisturizer. It should be applied on its own on cleansed skin. Preferably, let the serum work for 20 minutes before applying moisturizer.

I don't know how the Neostrata product compares to other vitamin C serums. If it's l-ascorbic acid, and you find that the colour does not turn dark before you manage to use the bottle, it should be fine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
cchan2009 wrote:

It's too bad that l-ascorbic acid tends to clog pores when it has got so many other benefits. My solution to the problem is to use a l-ascorbic acid serum on most of my face, and Janson Beckett C & C around my nose. This serum contains vitamin C derivatives and is less likely to clog pores.

Vitamin C serum can lose some of its effectiveness if mixed with a moisturizer. It should be applied on its own on cleansed skin. Preferably, let the serum work for 20 minutes before applying moisturizer.

I don't know how the Neostrata product compares to other vitamin C serums. If it's l-ascorbic acid, and you find that the colour does not turn dark before you manage to use the bottle, it should be fine.

Well, the Neostrata one comes in a capsule from and I think it is also silicon-based. I believe it is over 10% L-ascorbic acid

I didn't know that Vitamin C clog pores. Do you think it is because of the silicone-based suspension? I know that I will break out using the Smashbox primers (or any primers) but I was fine with this one initially. It just really start to clog pores in the last couple of months.

Thanks for your info. I will definitely change my routine.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 am      Reply with quote
cchan2009 wrote:

Well, the Neostrata one comes in a capsule from and I think it is also silicon-based. I believe it is over 10% L-ascorbic acid

I didn't know that Vitamin C clog pores. Do you think it is because of the silicone-based suspension? I know that I will break out using the Smashbox primers (or any primers) but I was fine with this one initially. It just really start to clog pores in the last couple of months.

Thanks for your info. I will definitely change my routine.

Hello, cchan2009.
There have been many testimonials from members on this forum about vitamin C serums causing clogged pores. It looks as if the l-ascorbic acid most often is the culprit. Here is a thread from EDS about vitamin C serums and blackheads:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22972&highlight=vitamin++clogged+pores

I have been using different brands of vitamin C serums for many years and have actually found that the watery serums have given me the most pore trouble. The one I currently use, SkinMedica Vitamin C Complex, is silicone-based and has caused less blackheads.

Neostrata sounds good, too. The risk of oxydation is minimized when opening a new capsule every (or every other) day. Smile

Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |