Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
BLACKHEADS AND UNIMFLAMED BUMPS!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Georgiapeach94

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
OK I'm going to high school this year and i have black heads all over my nose and chin... i have uninflamed bumps on my cheeks and forehead... and i have just plain gross zits on my back
1.is it normal to have this many skin problems when you are 14
2.what are some effective home remedies?
3.what are some good skin products that actually work?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Hello, Georgia.
Your skin condition sounds very normal for a 14 year old. It will surely get better in some years, but that doesn't help you much right now.

Many people have had good results with OCM (oil cleansing method) for cleansing skin and unclogging pores. Basically, you mix a couple of different oils and massage it thoroughly into your skin in order to loosen the sebum plugs. It's important to rinse well, and follow with a foaming cleanser or a toner to remove all residue of the oil. You can read more about OCM here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9717

You could really benefit from using a microfiber cloth to gently exfoliate your face every other day. PSF (sold on EDS) has a good one that's affordable.

I know that many people with oily skin types and acne swears by the home-made aspirin mask that you can use once or twice a week. Here's a link you can check out:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9534

Since you are so young, I believe that strong acids are not your best choice as it can be drying on your skin. Re product recommendations for your skin, I am sure other people on the forum will give you more advises. Good luck. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Georgiapeach94 wrote:
OK I'm going to high school this year and i have black heads all over my nose and chin... i have uninflamed bumps on my cheeks and forehead... and i have just plain gross zits on my back

Yeah, totally normal when you have active oil (sebaceous) glands & not everyone does, which I'm sure you realize. Because oil attracts dirt like a magnet, your skin probably clogs easily, hence the zits & blackheads. Two very easy and cheap ways to help keep skin clean: Microfibre cloth and Rhassoul Soap, both available onwww.ncnskincare.com. The cloth (use in place of a face cloth) gently exfoliates your skin & the Rhassoul Soap is a wonder at cleaning out the clogged pores. Nanci at ncn will help you with instructions for use, etc. Keep that Microfibre cloth clean too -it needs frequent washing cuz all your skin's oil & dead cells accumulate on it.

At your age my skin was so oily my mum said I looked like I was dipped in chicken fat!!!! Just wish I had these products then. I am over 50 and still need these products. You're lucky to start with them now.

You will be tempted to use harsh products to clean your face but it's preferrable to clean with more gentle products but more often, like maybe 3x day instead of two. Some people like Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and it is ok once in a while if your skin is really clogged but it contains an ingredient Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) that is a very harsh detergent used in industry to clean oil slicks!!!!! Everyone agrees it is a very iffy ingredient for the face. And you may be oily but c'mon, a tanker hasn't spilled its load on your face.

And you cannot overlook diet. Yeah, a bummer but it's really important to cut out all the junk like sodas, potato chips, all that greasy fast food that you probably love. It does a real number on your insides as well as the outer skin. It seems a long way off now but you will be SOOOO happy you started eating properly (fresh fruit & salads, drinking water instead of sodas & sugary drinks, washing face with quality products, no heavy makeup - your oily skin needs to breathe more than the average skin.

To help it breathe, you might also consider a daily lactic acid or glycolic acid serum, at a low percentage, say 10%. Look atwww.makeupartistschoice.com. These will remove the dead, oily cells that accumulate on your skin so rapidly and help keep it zit free.

And if you're up to it, look at the DPL on Nanci's site as well. Takes only 18 min/day and will really help tighten your pores and clear up zits. Your mom will also love it for her skin. You'll use if for yrs. so it will pay for itself.

Take it from someone who has been there, it takes time & effort & a little bit of sacrifice (eliminate the junk food & sodas) to have lovely skin. Your diligence will reward you but only if you put in that time, effort & sacrifice. I promise you, you will be happy you did.

Smile
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:34 am      Reply with quote
[quote="arya2"]
Georgiapeach94 wrote:

Georgiapeach94 I forgot to add something very important to my earlier post. Avoid like the plague any product that contains silicones - you can identify them by these commmon ingredients ending in ....cone like Dimethicone, cyclomethicone, etc. They are found in many skin care products. But skin like ours does not absorb them so these ingredients sit on the surface of our skin, attracting even more dirt and clog pores BIG TIME. I've recently learned why my skin has such terrible problems with these ingredients and from your description of uninflamed bumps, it sounds like you also have the same skin condition I do...called sebaceous hyperplasia. It basically means our oil glands are overactive. It also means that anything that contributes more undissolved oil to our skin will contribute to everything wer're trying to get rid of. And silicones are a huge contributor to those problems.

You can avoid these ingredients by using organic products. Now the confusing thing will be that many quality organic products have oil in them but they are natural oils, not synthetic ones like silicones. So your skin can deal with these natural oils, jojoba oil being one of the best.

Another very important point is that most all sunscreens/blocks contain silicones. Toss 'em all. They are not for you for the reasons I've explained. Nanci sells a really good Z-cote sunscreen that contains no silicones. It is available in an unmoisturized version which I recommend since your skin is already well moisturized with its being so oily. Rub it generously & really well 20-30 min before you go out for the day. Your oily skin might tempt you into believing you don't need much sun protection....this is a huge mistake. A skincare scientist has told me that sun exposure aggravates the growth of those uninflamed bumps. These bumps are a result of a condition we are born with & which is at very deep levels of our skin - something we can only now manage rather than irradicate. So watch your exposure to sun (I didn't when I was young & paid the price).

There is a gel like product available from Naturalis, an organic skincare line that really helps diminish these bumps. Naturalis sells its products thru a Singapore web site OrganicOnline - look for Naturalis Sebaceous Hyperplasia Treatment. There will be pictures so that you can decide if your bumps resemble those in hyperplasia. The gel is quite xpensive but I blob on just a small amount on ea. bump every nite for a couple of wks and maybe 3x wkly after that & it's amazing the difference it makes. I used the tip of a tiny eye makeup brush to apply it. The little pot lasted me almost a yr. so it's worth the price. If you decide to buy this stuff, be patient with the web people, things are not as clear as they are with our websites. If you have problems just email them at Sales@organiconline.com.sg & they will help you.

I hope this has helped.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:10 am      Reply with quote
GeorgiaPeach94:

Something has just come to my attention that impacts on my suggestion to use a lactic acid on your skin.

Just last nite a derm doc advised me that skin like ours is best treated with a salicylic acid, which cleans the pores, not skin surface exfoliating glycolic acids.

The salicylic acid has the ability to penetrate the pores where the oil clumps together, clogging pores & creating problems for you.

With this information, you might then google for mild salicylic solutions, say at 3%. One good site iswww.platinumskincare.com. You might try emailing them & asking for advice.

It's important that you use a pore cleansing soap but not one that contains harsh detergents, & do not use lotion sunscreens or anything with silicones as I've said.

They will make your skin a living nightmare.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
arya2 wrote:
Just last nite a derm doc advised me that skin like ours is best treated with a salicylic acid, which cleans the pores, not skin surface exfoliating glycolic acids.

The salicylic acid has the ability to penetrate the pores where the oil clumps together, clogging pores & creating problems for you.

With this information, you might then google for mild salicylic solutions, say at 3%.

Stridex pads have 2% salicylic acid, and you can get them at most drugstores or even grocery stores (and they are CHEAP). My plastic surgeon recommends them for noses, etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
arya2 wrote:

With this information, you might then google for mild salicylic solutions, say at 3%.

Stridex pads have 2% salicylic acid, and you can get them at most drugstores or even grocery stores (and they are CHEAP). My plastic surgeon recommends them for noses, etc.

Good point.
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Georgiapeach, good for you that you are taking good care of your skin. It does sound like your skin is very normal for your age. Unfortunately, I had the same problem at your age, and I wish my mom had taken more interest in my skin concerns.

Anyway, these ladies on the forum are fantastic and will provide some great insight/suggestions. Definitely try the microfiber cloth. For back acne, try washing with the Neutrogena Acne Body Wash, and try to stay with cotton shirts. Whenever I get a bit of a break-out on my back or chest, the Neutrogena clears it up very quickly. You'll find a lot of the home remedies on the DIY forum. Good luck to you!
seanandelectra

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Georgia - when i was younger I started out with 'good' skin, then started small bumps (non inflamed, non-red) on my forhead. Then the greasiness & the bumps continued through graduation. I occasionaly had a few clogged pores on my cheeks & I picked at them all... leaving brown spots behind so on the few occasions my skin was clear (but still oily) I looked broken out (you should SEE the sr. pic in my yearbook - YUCK).

Now, my skin started to clear up as I got older (which may have been age too) and I noticed it looked best with a good diet, a lot of water (no sodas etc) and cardio several times a week.
Two other things I noticed helped A LOT (after buying almost EVERY drugstore brand and prouduct):
- NO PICKING
- Wexler anti-acne cleanser

ALSO, think about oil free moisturzer (try to get one with w/spf) (apply to a damp face if you dilute it because it makes you feel too greasy). I use AMBI w/SPF

I found that for me (with out "REAL" pimples, just bumps) EXFOLIATION helps A LOT.

P.S. though it may seem that everyone else in your school has great skin - its just your imagination. your skin sounds like teenage skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
My daughter who is 15 yrs old, has a same skin problem. I got a lot of information from here. Thank you all. But my daughter's problem is she picks and squeezes her acne so it got worse ..
dasani
5% products discount

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Septembergirl on the detail of the microfiber cloth. I've been reading the forum for a while and was wondering where to get this product. And i didn't expect it is this affordable!! I'm definitely going to get some of this with my next order Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |