Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

home hair bleaching..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I had highlights done twice in 6 months - my hair is not as light as i wanted it. I cant see paying another $40+ to get it right...

So I wanted to highlight it myself (which I have done in the past). Would this be safe to do - if I of course followed the directions on the box? I mean - could I really screw my hair up after 2 previous bleachings.

I have naturally blond hair anyway... but Im not that hair knowledgeable...

thanks for any help...
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:54 am      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
I had highlights done twice in 6 months - my hair is not as light as i wanted it. I cant see paying another $40+ to get it right...

So I wanted to highlight it myself (which I have done in the past). Would this be safe to do - if I of course followed the directions on the box? I mean - could I really screw my hair up after 2 previous bleachings.

I have naturally blond hair anyway... but Im not that hair knowledgeable...

thanks for any help...

Do a Google search for Killerstrands blogspot. This blog has pretty much every piece of info you will ever need for doing your own hair color, and you can learn even more by joining the google group. I'd include the link but I don't have enough posts yet.

The blog owner also sells professional products (i.e. salon bleach and color) and will do a one-on-one email consultation if you order from her.

Good luck : )
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I've been doing my own highlights for a while now and along the way I've had a couple of disasters but now I feel I have it down to a fine art.

. I find it much better to use a streaking cap - this prevents you from getting overzealous and putting too much bleach on. It's a bit of a fiddle to pull the hair through the holes, but you get the hang of it after a while.

. I used to use the supermarket bought kits but now use the "professional" powder and cream. It's much cheaper and just as easy to use. A hairdresser told me to use 20 volume and not the 30 and 40.

. After I've applied the bleach I cover the cap and hair with aluminium foil (like a hat). This replicates having foils (you have to keep the hair warm to activate the bleach). I leave the bleach on for 40 mins.

. Wash and remove the foil and streaking cap in the shower.

. Using a toner afterwards also removes any brassiness.
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:57 am      Reply with quote
thanks so much - both responses were very helpful...

I plan on bleaching within the next month (not in THAT much of a hurry) but wanted to get some info well before doing so.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
thanks so much - both responses were very helpful...

I plan on bleaching within the next month (not in THAT much of a hurry) but wanted to get some info well before doing so.

Mb, please let us know how it goes! I always do my own hair color because it seemed like the pros always made just as many mistakes as I do, theirs are just more expensive Neutral I don't always get exactly what I'm trying for, though.

Keliu, it sounds like you really have a good system there... do you buy your supplies at Sally's?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
Keliu, it sounds like you really have a good system there... do you buy your supplies at Sally's?

I live in Australia and we don't have Sally's. The products I buy are Hi Lift Creme Peroxide for Hair 20 Vol - 6% and Hi Lift Blue Blonde Highlighter - I'm sure similar products are available everywhere.

Incidentally, your comments on the pros were spot on. It usually cost me around AUD$250 for a cut and foils at the hairdressers and I was never happy with the results.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |