Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
hyalronic acid problems...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cchan2009
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I am new to this whole hyaluronic acid serum as I got one a few days ago. Mine is pure 100% HA mixed with water. I am starting to notice areas that is really dry on my face and areas that is really clogged up.

Does anyone have the experienced of HA clogging pores? If so, does anyone knows why?

I also find that HA serum balls up any type of foundation or sunscreen. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
cchan2009 wrote:
I am new to this whole hyaluronic acid serum as I got one a few days ago. Mine is pure 100% HA mixed with water. I am starting to notice areas that is really dry on my face and areas that is really clogged up.

Does anyone have the experienced of HA clogging pores? If so, does anyone knows why?

I also find that HA serum balls up any type of foundation or sunscreen. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks.

Do you live in an area with lower humidity?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
cchan2009 wrote:

Thanks.

Yes. I living in Canada but it is summer now so the humidity is slightly higher today. I find that it clumps less today. Does it have something to do with the humidity????
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
cchan2009 wrote:

Thanks.

I live in a hot humid country. I use HA fromwww.gardenofwisdom.com. It is not 100% but it is good enough for the climate here. I am not sure that you would necessarily need 100% HA unless you have very dry skin and live in a country with dry air. HA applied the skin is a humectant to help retain moisture in the skin. And if you have oily skin and live in a hot humid place, you won't be needing it in such high concentration.
cchan2009
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Well. Actually, I find that the more I put, the drier my skin gets and the smaller my pores get. I dunno. Maybe I am just super-dehydrated. Confused
ahihi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I used HA for awhile, but it didn't seem to do anything (I have normal/dry skin and live in a humid climate, if that makes a difference).
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
cchan2009 wrote:
bethany wrote:
cchan2009 wrote:

Thanks.

Yes. I living in Canada but it is summer now so the humidity is slightly higher today. I find that it clumps less today. Does it have something to do with the humidity????

HA attracts 1000 times its weight in water...if you live in a humid environment, it will pull water out of the air and help plump up your skin.

If you live in a drier area, HA will pull moisture from other places...which sometimes means moisture from your other cells, and that is why you can get dry skin when using it.

There have been a small number of EDS users in the past who have had issues with this.

Also, here is a link from Dr. Pickart of Skin Biology where he is talking about HA overwetting the skin, etc. and causing the skin barrier to be damaged.

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8890018252/m/7300014564

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
I quit using it a year ago. I have one moisturizer that has a small amount of HA and that's fine but I decided I didn't want to keep using it straight anymore. Honestly, I didn't notice any changes. If anything, my skin looks better without. Mho was that it was just a temporary fix anyway.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:40 am      Reply with quote
I dont think you really want to use 100% HA, I can see how that would be drying. HA alone doesn't add moisture to your skin, you need to use a moisturizer with it.
bodiukein
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:21 am      Reply with quote
I have always had a problems with the HA balling up. I've mixed it with emu oil and I had the same problem. I have never mixed it with any type of moisturizer though. Gonna try that and see. Hopefully that will work!
cchan2009
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:05 am      Reply with quote
bodiukein wrote:
I have always had a problems with the HA balling up. I've mixed it with emu oil and I had the same problem. I have never mixed it with any type of moisturizer though. Gonna try that and see. Hopefully that will work!

The funny part is that after I only use 100% HA for 2 days, my acne dried up, pores are smaller, but my face is so dry.

Now I pair a HA/VitC gel moisturizer with it and it worked well so far. I use the La Roche Posay Hydraphase SPF 30 for the day. I put on my HA serum, then eyecream, then mix some of that HA/vitC moisturizer with a pump of the Hydraphase moisturizer. This is the only way I find that it is not balling up my sunscreen.

The HA serum and HA/VitC gel-cream moisturizer I used is from Japan, the brand is AquaJuJu. It is quite inexpensive ($35 CAD). They claim that there is no coloring, no perfume, no preservatives, and no mineral oil added. Pure HA in water.

So far, so good. I am thining that I might need to get a more moisturizing one in the fall/winter.

As for the paper saying that it breaks down skin barrier. I think my skin is still dry after I put it on. I think it takes a lot more water soaking to create a osmotic imbalance between the cell and the external cell matrix to break down the skin barrier. But then again, using anything excessively is no good either.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I used HA on top of vitamin C serum for a while but I also used an additional moisturizer on top of that (jojoba oil and pearl paste). I had no problems with the HA balling up.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Right now I'm using the PSF HA serum over my vitamin C serum (DIY oil soluble vitamin C serum with rice bran oil). I first apply a layer of the vitamin C oil and then a layer of the HA serum and I really like it. Before I saw this suggestion, I didn't know what to do with my HA serum. I'm going to continue to do this routine every other day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have very dry skin! I use PSF HA (which I love)mixed with emu oil and a tiny bit of water during winter. These days it is very hot and humid in Southern USA so I do not need to add water. I have not had any problem with balling up of HA or skin dryness.
babymax24
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
hey nimue, I know this was talked about in other threads but do you see a difference in using your oil sol. vit c (verses non)?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
I've only used it a couple of times so far, and I can confidently say that nothing bad happened. I'm pretty sure it's doing good things, but I don't think I would be able to tell the difference in my skin immediately, (or ever) since I had great skin before starting with the vitamin C oil I'm really just using it as a preventative measure. (I was also using a different, slightly less effective oil soluble vitamin C with the 100% pure products, and I've been using those for a while)

That didn't sound like a great endorsement Confused . For the record, I highly recommend and oil soluble vitamin C serum! Very Happy If it helps, I definitely will repurchase and continue with it.

babymax24 wrote:
hey nimue, I know this was talked about in other threads but do you see a difference in using your oil sol. vit c (verses non)?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I've only used it a couple of times so far, and I can confidently say that nothing bad happened. I'm pretty sure it's doing good things, but I don't think I would be able to tell the difference in my skin immediately, (or ever) since I had great skin before starting with the vitamin C oil I'm really just using it as a preventative measure. (I was also using a different, slightly less effective oil soluble vitamin C with the 100% pure products, and I've been using those for a while)

That didn't sound like a great endorsement Confused . For the record, I highly recommend and oil soluble vitamin C serum! Very Happy If it helps, I definitely will repurchase and continue with it.

babymax24 wrote:

What type of oil-soluble vitamin C are you using? I am trying to find one that is little bit less potent but won't clog pores.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:18 am      Reply with quote
cchan2009 wrote:

What type of oil-soluble vitamin C are you using? I am trying to find one that is little bit less potent but won't clog pores.

I make it myself. I buy Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate from lotioncrafter, and I also bought rice bran oil (but you can use any carrier oil for the base) and vitamin E. I don't think it's going to clog pores (it didn't for me), it's generally the serums with l-ascorbic acid, a water soluble vitamin C, that clogs pores.

Since you make it yourself, you can make it as potent as you like. Mine is about 10% vitamin C and 3% vitamin E. There are also companies out there that do make oil soluble vitamin C serums, but they can be really expensive, it's a whole lot cheaper to make it yourself.

There are a couple of threads on the DIY forum that may be helpful:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29835&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22179

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
I have very dry skin! I use PSF HA (which I love)mixed with emu oil and a tiny bit of water during winter. These days it is very hot and humid in Southern USA so I do not need to add water. I have not had any problem with balling up of HA or skin dryness.

I use the same product mixed in with my moisturizer or underneath moisturizer, it works great
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |