Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Is face soap better than other face cleansers (cream, milk)?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
showshow
5% products discount

Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I am confused. Some article said that the best way to clean your face is using soap. To me, soap leaves me a dry and tight feeling after washing.

Does anyone know more? Thanks.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Soap will strip your skin for natural oils and leave it tight and dry. Cleansing cream, cleansing milk or oils are better options to keep the skin soft and hydrated.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Many articles here on the use of soap. Some people love the "soap" but I think that it strips oils and they put all kinds of products to "hold" the bar together. In my opinion, we do not need to be using that sort of stuff on our faces,

5% products discount

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
I think it depends on the type of soap used..if you wash your face with Zest, then yes it will strip your skin.
I have super dry skin and I do have an array of cleansers/soap, but the ones that I find are the best are pure vegetable glycerin soaps and even castile soap. I've started making my own shampoos/handsoaps/face cleanser with just a few of those ingredients and I'm surprised that my face doesn't feel tight or stingy after using them and they don't make me break out. Many ppl support the use of glycerin soaps and castile soaps over commercial brands that strip out the real soapy goodness. But, i guess it all depends on your skin and what works best for you. What works for me, may not for you.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
It depends, but in general soap is not the way to go. If you want to use a solid bar, I've heard really good thins about the 302 face and body bar.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
It all depends on the soap you use. I've been a soap and water person all my life and am currently using an Olive Oil soap. Have never had a skin problem from using soaps, as long as they are gentle on the skin. I don't use cleansers at all as I never feel "clean" afterwards, but that's just me Smile
cchan2009
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I would only use soap that is design and recommended for face wash. I know a lot of Japanese brand carry a soap that is specific for the face. Japanese believes in soap. So you might have to try a few to find a right one. They also have soap powder too. The better it foams up, the better it cleans (they claim).
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Earth to Body makes an excellent facial soap and I use it every morning. http://www.earthtobody.ca/products/emusoap.cfm

I use the Yonka Gel Nettoyant Cleansing Gel in the evening to remove my makeup.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:57 am      Reply with quote
using soap to clean face would me you feel tight and uncomfortable. While using cleansing milk will clean your face and keeping the moisture at the same time.
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:25 am      Reply with quote
I make my own soap, have been for 2 years, and it is not drying. I use olive and a few other oils including cocoa butter, and my face never dries out. I also use a touch of patchouli, long known for it's healing properties.

I would not use any soaps on the market, because they are drying, unless it was a pure glycerin.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
It depends, but in general soap is not the way to go. If you want to use a solid bar, I've heard really good thins about the 302 face and body bar.

Nimue is correct. If you think "soap" means all solid bars, that is incorrect. 302 is a solid bar but doesn't contain soap as you normally think of it. It is not a harsh stripping detergent or lye based soap bar. It's a "syndet" bar. It will not strip the skin. Leaves it soft and smooth and is not overly foamy or fragranced like most face soaps. I have not heard of many people who cannot tolerate this bar. It's a wonderful bar to cleanse and treat with.
showshow
5% products discount

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all.
I have been using Clarins gentle foaming cleanser for years, quite like it. BTW, my skin is dry.
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Cetaphil is good, no soap in it. I don't use it to take makeup off, though. I don't think it gets it off your face well enough.
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 am      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Nimue is correct. If you think "soap" means all solid bars, that is incorrect. 302 is a solid bar but doesn't contain soap as you normally think of it. It is not a harsh stripping detergent or lye based soap bar. It's a "syndet" bar. It will not strip the skin. Leaves it soft and smooth and is not overly foamy or fragranced like most face soaps. I have not heard of many people who cannot tolerate this bar. It's a wonderful bar to cleanse and treat with.

All soap uses lye, including the 302 solid bar, w/o lye you wouldn't have soap, just a puddle of oil and water. Very Happy This includes liquid soaps.

These are the ingredients for the 302 bar, Ingredients
Sodium palmitate/cocoate, kosher glycerine from corn, avocado extracts, methyl glucose ester, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, pentasodium penetate, tetrasodium edtidronate (TDTA), peppermint oil

I don't use palm oil soaps on my face, too harsh for me.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
zyggy wrote:
All soap uses lye, including the 302 solid bar, w/o lye you wouldn't have soap, just a puddle of oil and water. Very Happy This includes liquid soaps.

Sodium palmitate/cocoate, kosher glycerine from corn, avocado extracts, methyl glucose ester, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, pentasodium penetate, tetrasodium edtidronate (TDTA), peppermint oil

Hi zyggy,

I didn't see "lye" or sodium hydroxide in their ingredients, so I assumed that it wasn't there. Which ingredient is the lye component? This soap isn't harsh at all, even on the most sensitive skin.
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
zyggy wrote:

Hi zyggy,

I didn't see "lye" or sodium hydroxide in their ingredients, so I assumed that it wasn't there. Which ingredient is the lye component? This soap isn't harsh at all, even on the most sensitive skin.

Through a process called saponification, lye mixes with the oils to create a new chemical, Sodium palmitate/cocoate, when you see the word Sodium, you know that lye was used.

I have several friends with extremely sensitive skin,and the soap I make is the only soap they will use. I had laser resurfacing down 3 months ago, and the only soap I have been using on my face is my own. It is extremely low in Palmtic acid. Just by looking at the ingredient list of the 302 bar, I know my face would not be able to handle it.
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
This is confusing. Sometimes I find that soap (like Dove) helps when I have acne. It tends to clean my face really well. Plus it also dries up the pimples. However, I can see how it would strip the skin's natural oils after repeated use. So I would alter between natural cleansing products (Dr.Hauscka milk and cream cleanser) and soap. So far it seems to be working.
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
It all depends on the soap you use. I've been a soap and water person all my life and am currently using an Olive Oil soap. Have never had a skin problem from using soaps, as long as they are gentle on the skin. I don't use cleansers at all as I never feel "clean" afterwards, but that's just me Smile

Anya,

I feel that cleansers leave a residue on my skin, too, and normally use baby bath or baby shampoo, which removes my sunblock efficiently. Do you wear any greasy stuff like make-up and sunblock, and if so is Olive Oil soap effective at getting it off? My father uses Olive Oil soap and he has great skin.

Cheers, Loulou Smile
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
zyggy wrote:
boski wrote:
zyggy wrote:

Hi zyggy,

Through a process called saponification, lye mixes with the oils to create a new chemical, Sodium palmitate/cocoate, when you see the word Sodium, you know that lye was used.

I have several friends with extremely sensitive skin,and the soap I make is the only soap they will use. I had laser resurfacing down 3 months ago, and the only soap I have been using on my face is my own. It is extremely low in Palmtic acid. Just by looking at the ingredient list of the 302 bar, I know my face would not be able to handle it.

Hi zyggy:

I asked Dr Huber (the director and formulator for 302) for an explanation about the 302 Face and Body bar, because I wanted to make sure how it was processed. Here is his reply. I was wrong about it being a "syndet" bar. I hope this clarifies things for everybody.

Hi Nancy,
Just back in the Lab (on Friday!). Hope you are well.

True soaps, like Ivory use lye and react it with oils to produce soap. I don’t know of anyone doing that, except cranky boutiques and Ivory. Tom’s of Maine used to make a true soap and then got away from it, much too drying.

All ‘soaps’ made today are either syndet bars which combine detergents and oils and tend to be defatting and drying, or natural bars (ours) which are esters ( oils reacted with salts ) the resulting base is what provides the cleansing and foaming. These bars are usually more expensive to produce and it is surprising how different the bases can be even though they have the same technical name. All sodium palmitate/cocoate bases are most definitely not alike.

We go a step further and add our avocado extract and the other items –BTW we use this in burn clinics on third degree burns and for dermatitis patients – so its mildness is clinically recognized.
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
zyggy wrote:
boski wrote:
zyggy wrote:

Hi zyggy,

Hi zyggy:

I asked Dr Huber (the director and formulator for 302) for an explanation about the 302 Face and Body bar, because I wanted to make sure how it was processed. Here is his reply. I was wrong about it being a "syndet" bar. I hope this clarifies things for everybody.

Hi Nancy,
Just back in the Lab (on Friday!). Hope you are well.

True soaps, like Ivory use lye and react it with oils to produce soap. I don’t know of anyone doing that, except cranky boutiques and Ivory. Tom’s of Maine used to make a true soap and then got away from it, much too drying.

All ‘soaps’ made today are either syndet bars which combine detergents and oils and tend to be defatting and drying, or natural bars (ours) which are esters ( oils reacted with salts ) the resulting base is what provides the cleansing and foaming. These bars are usually more expensive to produce and it is surprising how different the bases can be even though they have the same technical name. All sodium palmitate/cocoate bases are most definitely not alike.

We go a step further and add our avocado extract and the other items –BTW we use this in burn clinics on third degree burns and for dermatitis patients – so its mildness is clinically recognized.
Boski, what he didn't tell you, or didn't explain is that the 302 bar started out made with lye and from there they added other ingredients. He even said they use a base and add from there.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but the term "sodium palmitate/cocoate" is the chemical term for palm oil, water and lye combined. Once it goes through a chemical change there is no lye left.

Like I said before, soap has to have either sodium hydoxide (lye) or potassium hydroxide as the catayst to make soap, the later makes liquid soap.

My soaps are superfatted by 5%, what that means is the extra oils I use are are still in the soap, and the amount of lye used is not able to chemcially change that 5%, leaving my bars moisturizing and non drying.

Confusing huh? Shock
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi zyggy,

I don't want to start an argument either. I certainly do not have the knowledge you do about soapmaking. All I can say is that I like the 302 Face and Body soap. It's unlike any other soap I've ever used and will never stop using it.

The original point I wanted to make was that, not all solid bars are "soap" which will dry and strip your skin. You really need to look at the ingredients. I think we both agree on that point.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Anya,

I feel that cleansers leave a residue on my skin, too, and normally use baby bath or baby shampoo, which removes my sunblock efficiently. Do you wear any greasy stuff like make-up and sunblock, and if so is Olive Oil soap effective at getting it off? My father uses Olive Oil soap and he has great skin.

Cheers, Loulou Smile

Hi Loulou!
Yes, I wear layers of skin care products + sunscreen + mineral makeup and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels as I do about cleansers Very Happy
Any time I've used cleansers and applied toner afterwards, I've found residual makeup on the cotton pad I've used - not so, when I use plain old soap and water! I use Néolia Olive Oil soap and it leaves my skin clean and soft. Here's a link to their website
http://boutiqueneolia.com/soap.php

HTH!
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
Hi zyggy,

I don't want to start an argument either. I certainly do not have the knowledge you do about soapmaking. All I can say is that I like the 302 Face and Body soap. It's unlike any other soap I've ever used and will never stop using it.

The original point I wanted to make was that, not all solid bars are "soap" which will dry and strip your skin. You really need to look at the ingredients. I think we both agree on that point.
All solid bars are soap. But what we grew up with and used in the past are drying because all the natural occuring glycerin is removed and the term "soap" has become a scary name.

The 302 bar is soap with added ingredients and is considered a superfatted soap since glycerin was added back into the finished soap.

I would never expect you to change products, but I wanted you to know that all soaps of course are not created equal. Some are far superior than others, and I'm sure your 302 bar is one of them.

The soap I make comes with all the natural glycerin. And I'll send you a bar if you are comfortable with that. My treat.
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:48 am      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
Quote:
Anya,

Cheers, Loulou Smile

Hi Loulou!
Yes, I wear layers of skin care products + sunscreen + mineral makeup and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels as I do about cleansers Very Happy
Any time I've used cleansers and applied toner afterwards, I've found residual makeup on the cotton pad I've used - not so, when I use plain old soap and water! I use Néolia Olive Oil soap and it leaves my skin clean and soft. Here's a link to their website
http://boutiqueneolia.com/soap.php

HTH!

Anya, thanks so much for your advice and for the link Cool I'm going to order some now (and extra for my dad!)

I know exactly what you mean about the toner... if I use it after cleanser the pad looks grimy, after washing there are only bits of towel on it!

Thanks again,

Loulou Smile
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:01 am      Reply with quote
zyggy wrote:
I would never expect you to change products, but I wanted you to know that all soaps of course are not created equal.

I totally agree with that point Very Happy . Though I'm not going to stop using 302 F/B, I'm not adverse to adding new products from time to time. I'm always on the lookout for natural inexpensive products that work.

Do you sell your soap? We could do a soap swap. (BTW, I'm extremely acne prone, so let me know if your soap is okay for oily skin types). I'll send you a little sample of the 302 and you send me some of yours. PM me with your address if you are interested Smile.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |