Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Waxing & Retin-A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tracyh

Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
My Derm had me use .025% Retin-A to even out my skin tone/clear up blackheads & help fix sun damage (I'm 25 & live in AZ)...my problem is I wax! My brows & upper lip. Is there any other product I can use for my skin & still wax? The first time I waxed, a layer of skin came off!

THX,
Tracy
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I have found that I can use Retin-A and still get waxed but the wax cannot be left on for any long period of time. If it is too sticky then indeed, it will rip off my skin. Now, I skip my Retin-A the night before just in case. My waxer told me I didn't need to though. She says that if the wax is too hot or too sticky, left on too long, those are the only reasons the skin would come off too.
Caspers Mum

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:43 am      Reply with quote
I don't use prescription-strength retinol, but having once used over-the-counter retinol, I have also caused a waxing boo-boo to my upper-lip. It hurt, and was embarassing, because I could barely cover it up. It looked like I had been ... free-basing cocaine Shock Embarassed Even more-humiliating: the lovely, 23 year-old counter manager of Estee Lauder (whom I was working for at the time) took me aside, to comment about my "appearance". (who cares? She was a self-serving, snobby you-know-what anyhow! Hence, I walked right off the job one day, three years ago, telling her where to go & how to get there. She still works for that company, but has been promoted to a regional office position of ... promotions manager. Whoopie.)

Know that I can relate, and that we've now both learned our (painful) lesson about this.

Your doctor has prescribed Retin-A for a reason, obviously. I cannot contradict nor question the doctor's reason(s) for prescribing this treatment. However, if you're looking for something less agressive, you may want to try a product like Kinerase Lotion/Cream. It does not exfoliate the surface of the skin, but is a corrective, gentle product.[/i]
lindy06

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I too use retin-a and just got my eyebrows waxed yesterday. Unfortunately, the waxing took a layer of skin off, and i'm left with redness and a glossy look and it's VERY obvious. my question is how can i care for my skin now-is there anything that will help it heal faster? I'm so upset and embarrassed! Please let me know what works to heal the skin. Thanks!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
lindy06 wrote:
I too use retin-a and just got my eyebrows waxed yesterday. Unfortunately, the waxing took a layer of skin off, and i'm left with redness and a glossy look and it's VERY obvious. my question is how can i care for my skin now-is there anything that will help it heal faster? I'm so upset and embarrassed! Please let me know what works to heal the skin. Thanks!

Aloe would help with healing and redness. I personally would not wax while using Retin-A, try threading instead. No one looks sexy with a red, oozing "mustache". Trust me. Embarassed Laughing
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Tracy--I would try threading or sugaring then. Those methods are much more gentler on the skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I use Retin A Micro and had the misfortune of waxing my upper lip. I can't believe how many layers of skin that wax took off! I was a mess and didn't leave the house for a day or two. We usually don't put Retin A directly on our eyebrows, but I would definately not use it on the upper lip area. Doctors also recommend not waxing (including 6 weeks after stopping the use of Retin A). Also your skin will be tons more sensitive to sun if you wax while using Retin A.

5% products discount

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I use Retin A 1.0

I know that's industrial strength. But I started at an imperceptible amount 10 years ago and gradually increased. I'm in my thirties now with out a single wrinkle. Whoo-hoo!!

I had a waxing mishap about 5 months ago and it took a triangular chunk out of my upper eyebrow. I Neosporin'ed it and covered it with a LARGE bandaid. One that covered my whole eye. Yes, I looked like a Pirate but I wasn't going to let the sun exacerbate my condition. At home, I took off the bandage. It scabbed up and cleared out in about 4 days.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
lindy06 wrote:

Lindy! You Poor girl! This happened to my recently and it was a very traumatic experience. Fortunately I was able to get it completely healed up in less than a week. Here's what I did: a couple times a day I washed my face very gently, then absolutely drowned the affected area in O2 spray (helps heal more quickly-- both PSF and Zenbiotic have a version), and then I applied a thick layer of neosporin. In less than a week the scabbed peeled off and there was fresh skin underneath, whew! Good luck, and keep us updated!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
My understanding is that if you stop the retinoid for 2 weeks then you can wax with no problem?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
im actually allergic to wax and im seriously thinking about having a laser hair removal- has anyone had that done?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
I use a non-prescription retinol product every night. A week before I get my brows waxed, I stop using the product. Have not had any bad stuff happen to my skin that way, so I don't mind doing that.
dchickb
5% products discount

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi All - As a therapist, we were advised not to wax anyone until 3 months after stopping Retin A, and 6 months with Roaccutane. Seems a long time, but your mishaps prove that waxing can be extremely detrimental to skin if not carried out correctly, or without checking with clients first about their skincare regimen. The skin lin the immediate area will be extremely fragile, as several layers of protection have been removed. Be careful if you are in a sunny location - cover well with total blockout...
almomof2
5% products discount

Sun May 04, 2008 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
What do you do then if you're used to waxing?

Also- why would the eyebrows be sensitive? I do not use the Retin A on my eyes?

Thanks-
Heather

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
I was using Retin A at one time, and I injured myself by taking off the whole top layer of my upper lip, so while I was on it, I stopped appling the Retin A to my upper lip for a week before I had my lip waxed. I did not have any problems. As far as Caspers Mum's experience....you have to be kidding me? Your experience is the very reason I stay away from those snobby ladies at the "counters" of expensive retail places. So what that you had a boo boo on your lip. No one coming to the counter is concerned about that I am sure. I actually think it makes us more approachable when we have skin issues or other skin related concerns, it means we are all human! I will stick to ordering off this site. Nice people who want my business!!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 05, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I am lucky that I have not had that problem, but I would advise that you don't use your prescription the day before you get waxed.
kathylew

Tue May 06, 2008 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
The spa that does my eyebrow waxing requires that you sign something saying that you have not used Retin-A for at least two days prior to waxing. I usually stop 3-5 days before. Occasionally I will get a small area of irritation though.
Annie B
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
It's not only Retin-A that can cause this problem. A few years ago I was using Tazorac and had my eyebrows waxed. My eyelids were red and raw for the next week. Very uncomfortable! At first I was convinced that the wax must have been too hot, and the girl who waxed them tried to convince me that it must have been an allergic reaction to the wax even though I'd had by eyebrows waxed many times before. I finally deduced that it was the Tazorac. I think I remember reading that Differin and oral Minocycline can do this as well.
Kbht

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
So, I made the same mistake. Started using ROC correxions and then waxed my upper lip.. Had two chunks of skin come out on either sides of my lips. Did everything from niosporin to aloe gel to applying Vitamin E straight up from the capsule to bio oil.. Scab healed in 2 days but I have these dark patches in those spots now n they are ugly! Don't know what to do.. Applying lemon on them,vitamin E and continuing my ROC treatment. No change. Ugh so disheartened. Sad
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 am      Reply with quote
Yes Add me to the list... I had a scabby Mustache for a few days. Ugh BTW the dark patches faded over a couple months. VIt E is great too.

I've tried a facial epilator...never again, it still "burnt" me. Double Ugh, Mad ..wanted to scream.

I've thought about laser, if your up to it it is an option. But right now I just pluck... Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I even shave my mustache Shock ..yep you heard right...and my hairs grow back as slow and as fine. It was just getting my head around the concept that was the hardest.

Very Happy
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:14 am      Reply with quote
Don't do it! Wink

Do you know how to do threading? It is much better for your skin and all you need is a piece of thread. I just taught myself how to thread my top lip recently. Saves money and can go at my own pace.

I am on Retin A and 25 too btw.
Kbht

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:17 am      Reply with quote
I do get threading done but the threading place is so far away and so inconvenient. I guess it is time to learn it atleast for my upper lips. Let's hope the darkening gets better faster! Thanks for all your input!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Hello kbht Smile Youtube has some videos on threading. I learned it too and I find it better than plucking... and very "relaxing"....

Kbht wrote:
I do get threading done but the threading place is so far away and so inconvenient. I guess it is time to learn it atleast for my upper lips. Let's hope the darkening gets better faster! Thanks for all your input!
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Hello kbht Youtube has some videos on threading. I learned it too and I find it better than plucking... and very "relaxing"....

Yes that is true. Theres something quite satisfying about getting rid of so many unflattering hairs too hehe
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |