Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Pleae help with out of control hair!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have wavy/curly hair which is totally out of control in this hot and humid weather. I like to wear it straight! During winter I have no problem blow drying and using a flat iron to achieve the desired look but right now I am just so tired of styling my hair and then within minutes it goes back to the "Freshly out of bed hairdo look". I am seriously thinking about chemically straightening my hair. Can some of you please share your experience and give me some advice on hair straightening products. How do these products work and which product is the best. Thanks!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
You're going to hate this reply, but my advice is to go with the wild + crazy look for the summer, and save the flat iron for when the humidity drops..

There is NO fighting the humidity, unless you want to slave in front of the mirror every day...yeeesh!

For me, I just twist my hair up, and let a few whispy tendrels fall where they may.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried the curlyhair board? I cannot remember the name but a friend of mine swears by it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
You're going to hate this reply, but my advice is to go with the wild + crazy look for the summer, and save the flat iron for when the humidity drops..

There is NO fighting the humidity, unless you want to slave in front of the mirror every day...yeeesh!

For me, I just twist my hair up, and let a few whispy tendrels fall where they may.

Kassy: I know I should just let it go but I just can not. I feel so much prettier with my hair straight.
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I have wavy/curly hair. It goes mad crazy when exposed to humid weather. However, I noticed that using regular shampoo aids in causing the fuzziness. Instead of moisturizing the hair, it tends to dry it out. I started using natural shampoos like nature's gate, I noticed my hair became much more softer and manageable. I am really into natural products because I noticed a great change in my skin and hair. Nature's Gate is affordable. Straightening irons ruin the hair. I don't know if it is worth it? Sad.

I wonder how the Dr.Hauscka's shampoos are?
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
My daughter got her hair permanently straightened. She did not like it as it damaged her hair too much. Her friend who had it done over and over for several years also found that her hair became quite damaged.

Have you tried Chi Silk Infusion? Someone posted about this on EDS and I tried it. I like it a lot.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to keep up w/ the straight style, perhaps you need to add styling products or change the flat iron?

I also have curly/wavy hair (throw in a few cow-licks there too- w/ a mind of their own!).

I just started using a flat iron this year after struggling w/ a round brush/styling products for years. My hairstylist taught me to use my straightening gel I had been using for blowdrying, plus add in a spray for the iron (I only do this for the driest top portion)

These products help the cutical on the hair shaft to lay flat (along w/ the iron). It's important to use some sort of styling product on your hair to protect it from the heat.

The products I use are Biolage Hydra-Seal Leave in conditoner; Aquage straightening gel; and CHI Shine Infusion (the spray for the iron). I put a small amt of the Aquage in the palm of my hand, squirt out 5 squirts of the Biolage and mix/apply to hair. I either let me hair air dry or blow it dry (when I'm in a hurry). Then, when I do the iron, I lightly spray the CHI. When my stylist did my hair, he sprayed each strand of hair before heating it w/ the iron. My hair looked splendid when he flat ironed it! (of course, it always will Rolling Eyes )

My hair will stay flat and smooth with a nice healthy shine to it for 2 days when I do it at home. It even stayed this way while in the Carribean (surrounded by LOTS of moisture!)

I also feel the quality of the iron has a lot to do w/ how your hair turns out. I have such thick hair (and lots of it). My stylist said I'd have to have an iron that went up to 420 in temperature setting. I ended up buying one that goes up to 400 and it works pretty good for me. I found mine on Folica.com

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Wanted to add - on the flat iron

You should have one that is ceramic/tourmalaine w/ the variable temp setting.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:52 am      Reply with quote
I am not sure of the exact name but read a great review of a balm from Phyto Hair and its a balm that left on especially for wavy frizzy hair. I went to a hot humid climate lately and used John Frieda's Weather Works by Frizz Ease and found it great and much cheaper but my hair is very thick and frizzy and goes curly in humidity and this did not happened while using this. I do not have curly hair.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I give up on my hair mid-July through late August. It's too hot to heat style, and it wouldn't do me any good anyway. I say, embrace the waviness. I use Joico Curl Definer, and it works good.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I hear you loud and clear, starlight! I have naturally wavy hair that I blow dry straight year-round. My hair is very agreeable most of the time, but when the heat and humidity of summer kick into high gear my hair gets seriously out of control. Recently I've been mixing a generous dab of Phyto Phytodefrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm with a generous dab on Oscar Blandi seta silk polishing cream, working that through my hair, and then heat styling as usual. It has really helped--- this combination has stopped my hair from puffing back up the minute I finish heat-styling. Another thing that really helps is after I'm done I go over my hair with Ojon Tunu Elastik Flexible Finishing Hairspray--- even if I'm just going to bed. (Actually, DH loves it when I use the Ojon hairspray before bed because it has a warm, chocolately kind of smell. "You smell really good!" he says when I climb into bed after my hair routine is complete.)

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all responses! I am glad to know that others can relate to my problem. My hair stylist sprays small strands of hair with hair spray and then irons it which yields a beautiful hold with no frizzies but I am not able to style my hair or flat iron it properly. My hair is very thick and good styling products would substantially reduce the styling time. I use Aubrey organics shampoo line and love it. My problem is styling aids. I do not know which hair sprays and anti frizz products to use. I would like to use a natural product because all others make my hair fall out. I have had the worst luck with flat irons. Somehow I can not purchase the right one. Mine is ceramic. That is why I was thinking about chemically straightening my hair out. Now I am scared to do that because I do not want to damage my hair. I will check into some of the styling products mentioned and see how they work. If anyone has other styling products that they have tried for dry frizzy hair please post those! Thanks!
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have a weird wave to my hair- it is completely random. I never know what my hair is going to do. I straighten mine out with a round brush and hair dryer every day and use a flat iron to get the really stubborn pieces. I have found the Shiseido Tsubaki shampoo and conditioner to really help in smoothing my hair. I also use matrix smoothing milk in my damp hair before styling as well and these products really tame my hair.
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
My daughter has wavy hair and has had her hair Japanese chemically straightened three times. She is 18. It is incredibly shiny, healthy and gorgeous.

I have always blow dried my hair and recently started using a straight iron. Honestly now that I am letting it get longer and the time I spend using the straight iron, I am going to have my hair straightened when the bleach from highlighting it grows out.

My recommendation is to make sure you go to someone who has a lot of experience. When my daughter first had her hair done it was $400. While this seems like a lot when I saw her friends having done for $200 and their hair didn't take or was damaged there is no comparison.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
platinumrose wrote:
My daughter has wavy hair and has had her hair Japanese chemically straightened three times. She is 18. It is incredibly shiny, healthy and gorgeous.

I have always blow dried my hair and recently started using a straight iron. Honestly now that I am letting it get longer and the time I spend using the straight iron, I am going to have my hair straightened when the bleach from highlighting it grows out.

My recommendation is to make sure you go to someone who has a lot of experience. When my daughter first had her hair done it was $400. While this seems like a lot when I saw her friends having done for $200 and their hair didn't take or was damaged there is no comparison.

I've really been thinking about chemically straightening my hair as well.
My hair is very fine- and if I got it chemically straightened do you think it would look too flat and thin?
Also can you curl chemically straightened hair with a curling iron if you wanted to wear it curly one day?
Thanks!
CG
jackiet_mcc
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am african american with fine hair and no relaxer. No matter wht products I tried, my hair would not stay straight. As soon as I went into any humidity, even just getting out of my car in the morning, and going from the car to my office, my hair would frizz up.
I brought this product calle Sabino Moisture Block. I left it in my bathroom for 4 months before I even tried it. I didn't believe anything would work. One day I tried it. I put about a dime size amount into the palm of my hand and work it through for a good minute. Then I comb it through and blow dry. Then I use my flat iron. I use the Solia iron. My hair gets straight and stays straight. I just returned from the sub-tropics. I go there a few times a year, and usually I have to take a wig because as soon as I go outside, it's over for my hair. This time I didn't take a wig, and I didn't need one. My hair stayed. It is a wonderful product. I never had anything work like this. The site is sabino hair.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |