Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Seborrheic Keratosis - at Home Treatment (Cure)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jamieheller

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Just applied my second treatment of H202 to one spot on my leg and one on my hand. I also applied my first treatment of apple cider vinegar to an SK on my leg.

Based on how my hand and leg look right now, I couldn't imagine spraying H202 35% on the entire area.

My hand stings quite a bit, nothing I can't handle, and it has a very blanched, crusted over appearance with red swelling around the initial treatment area.

I think one needs to take care and go slow with this process. I have many, many SK's on my legs so this process will take time, but I am spot testing first as to not make the situation worse. Kind of the evil you know, is better than the one you don't know, concept. Will see I'll know in a week.

Good Luck all,
Jamie
jamieheller

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:09 am      Reply with quote
OK, feeling a bit like a test animal...I completed the third treatment on leg and second on hand. Apple Cider had no affect, so will discontinue acv.

Leg has crusted scab, hand has a blister bubble, like a 3rd degree burn...at least sk should come off when blister pops. Glad I went slow with this process!

I think the skin on my hand is too delicate for the full 35% so will take a break on hand and continue full strength on leg and only keep on for 2-5 minutes. Again I am only experimenting with a couple sks at a time.

Determined!
ekourt

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:52 am      Reply with quote
After searching through various online forums for SK treatments, I stumbled upon this one and decided to give the apple cider vinegar method a try. I've been dealing with this awful SK in the middle of my forehead for nearly a year, and had one removed above my left eyebrow, which left an awful dark spot, and a new one that resurfaced above it. There were other smaller SK's that began to appear above my right eyebrow as well. After visits to dermatologists who gave me no decent solutions (and expensive prescriptions that I refuse to buy) I figured why not give ACV a try? I'm very excited to say that acv has worked! the SK in the middle of my forehead fell off after a week of using acv and the smaller ones as well, and the one that re-appeared on the left side of my eyebrow is gone as well! I followed a method that a user in the thread has mentioned, I would dip a piece of cotton in ACV and put a band-aid over it on the SK overnight. It did look worse before it got better, it turned black, and I'm an African American female, brown skinned and it was fairly noticeable, but I guess it was well worth it. Hopefully it won't return Smile
Florie

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
If peroxide works, are these keratoses to be considered "infectious?" Are they a type of fungus?

A chiropractor saw one of mine and advised putting castor oil on it. He said it would crust up, finally fall off, and leave pink new skin underneath – much like the descriptions from using peroxide.

This makes me continue to wonder: What ARE they?
jamieheller

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Update - One on hand that blistered- scabed over and the scab came off revealing...yay, no SK.

I saw the recent post about ACV so will give it a longer try as the H202 is pretty harsh, albeit works.

Jamie
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Florie there is an excellent explanation about keratosis on wikipedia. Even has images.
kimothy

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Hello all....was doing some research on SK and found this site....I also went to dermatologist who told too bad so sad... live with it and that just didnt seem right to me so I thought I had to help myself. I am also going to try the H202, and appple cidar vinegar....a naturopath also thought taking gotukola orally might help so I am going to try that too. Thanks for all the posts and good luck to all! I don't consider myself vain, but these SK really make me feel self conscience for sure......mainly on my legs now, but I can see a few on my arms and hands...YIKES! Definatly think these are inherited as my mom is covered in them and my grandfather also had them....hope I don't pass on to my daughter.
Florie

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Determined wrote:
Florie there is an excellent explanation about keratosis on wikipedia. Even has images.

Ghastly! Cures are great, but we should be looking for causes. I don't buy that it is genetic OR sun damage.
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I agree Florie, Most of my "liver spots" are on my thighs, and I NEVER have exposed my thighs to the sun. Yet, areas of my body, such as arms have been exposed to sun and I have no spots there.
As far as genetics go, neither my mother nor grandmother had them.
I believe they are a symptom,or a signal of "something" going on in our system, and need to be treated systemically.
Florie

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
to Determined: I agree – but how?
jerixon

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've been dealing with my own little growths that my dermatologist also said were harmless etc etc., and I decided that it was my skin starving to death and fed the affected spots with a powerful concoction of vitamin E cream, vitamin A drops, vitamin D drops, Vitamin C liquid, and DHA liquid. This has been pretty effective in diminishing the size and height of them and several have disappeared completely. I'm thinking that I could speed this process along with the ACV followed by my magic cream. I'll try it and let you know!
Florie

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Really? You just put all those things together? Is any of it Quantum Research (like the D drops)? Tell us the names of your raw materials! Have you ever looked at the site earthclinic dot com? Home remedies.
clarkerm

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:10 am      Reply with quote
My experience....

I have/had about 70-80 keratoses (SKs) on my stomach and back.

There were roughly 25 SKs on my stomach and sides between navel and breastbone. They ranged from about 1/4" diameter, to the largest being about 1" by 1/2", nearly all were dark brown/black with a smooth waxy surface.

I decided to try treating the accesible SKs on my stomach and sides with 35% H2O2 which I bought from a local Health Food Store.

1. I first dabbed on a touch of H2O2 with a Q tip. I tried surrounding the SK with Vaseline or skin cream to protect the skin but it was too difficult on my own to do this accurately.

2. The pain experienced from treating 25 was substantial, but bearable. Not for the fainthearted though.

3. At first there seemed to be no reaction due to the thickness of the waxy coating of the SK. After a couple of treatments I tried roughening the surface with a nail file board. This then speeded up the process and I started to see the frothing and white residue.

4. Several of the SKs showed signs of shrinking but also the skin around the SK became very red.

5. After 1 week of treatments (two times per day) I stopped. I was afraid:

(a) That I might be doing harm to my skin

(b) The blotches were so large and ugly that I was too embarassed to swim in public in case it was thought that I had some communicable infection.

6. Some of the SKs crumbled and fell away over the first week, others (the biggest) took longer. The blotches only faded very slowly. After two months about half are almost invisible and the rest look like small brown old bruises. They are not very noticeable though and I am swimming again with no comments.

7. I am now immensely pleased with the results and feel that I stopped too soon. Almost 2/3rds of the SKs have disappered completely and the remaining 7 or 8 are reduced to small white 1/8" nodules. I have seen ads for commercial treatments that recommend that the treatments go on for two weeks, and I think this must be about right.

8. I am going to start the treatment again in the Fall. First to deal with the small unfinished ones and second with the aid of my partner to treat the inaccessible ones on my back. Through the Winter and Spring any cosmetic effects will fade without embarassment[u]
cuteocty

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Guys

I stumbled upon on this forum during my search on SK. I discovered through my dermatologist that I have two small SK's on my cheek.

After reading this forum, I recalled I had Hydrogen Peroxide at my place. But the concentration is 3% Sad

Will this help? Like repeat applications? Or should I try apple cider vinegar?

Note: They are not big, maybe 2mm each. Very light in colour.
jackkpts

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Like others, I too stumbled upon this site and information during a search for treatment for SK. I am a 53 year old man, living in Wisconsin. I have had two larger ones (3/8 to 1/2 of an inch round and 3/16 of an inch thick) for the past 10 years or so - one on the left side of my neck and one on the top of my forehead about an inch into the hairline near my part. Here is what I tried with great success.

I purchased a bottle of food grade Hydrogen Peroxide 35% solution. I used a Qtip and kept it on the lumps for 2 minutes each. I refreshed the Qtip every 30 seconds or so. The one on my neck, which I had frozen off twice before at the DR's office, reacted just as described by others - swelled to twice it's size, turned white and flakey and burned for about 10 - 20 minutes afterwards. I did this one for 5 days and took 2 days off. It turned fairly black and was about half it's size. I did it 2 more days and it just fell off while I dried my face. Five days later and there is almost no evidence that it ever existed!

The one on the top of my head had never been frozen off and was a bit larger. The first 2 applications did almost nothing - no real burning, crusting or anything. I wondered if it was something other than SK. I skipped day 3, in which it did look much darker. I tried again on day 4 and it did start to react like the other - some burning, white flaking. Day 5 and 6 were more intense with the swelling, 20 minutes of burning, etc. It fell off in pieces on day 8. There was much more redness and a deeper scab where this SK was than the one on my neck. But it too is healing nicely now on day 12. I also want to share that I did not loose any hair in this area! I saw people ask about this on a few other posts. I expect that in a week or two this area will look very normal.

I cannot thank this forum enough for the information!
goddess49
5% products discount

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone! I've been lurking here off and on since this topic was posted. I started developing multiple SKs on my tummy about 6 years ago and they gradually spread to my back, neck and face to the degree that I would no longer wear a swimsuit. I purchased the H202 probably a year and a half ago and began treatment. I did manage to rid myself of some of them on my front but it left marks which have yet to disappear and was, in general, not too successful...not to mention that diluting and spraying on my back didn't work at all.
In the fall I started experimenting with ACV-just the plain old generic stuff. It did seem to work if I could keep it in contact with the skin long enough. I just had too many of them to try the band-aid approach. Here's what I eventually came up with:
Take a sleeveless shirt-preferably cotton since it holds moisture longer-mine actually has a mock turtleneck and fold and place it on a dinner plate. Pour ACV on it until it is saturated but not dripping. You may have to refold and re-pour-it shouldn't take more than 1/2 to 1 cup-till it is completely moistened. Put the plate with the shirt in the microwave for 30 seconds. This is just to warm it up-unless you're cold blooded-then you can skip this. Have ready a tall kitchen garbage liner with ties. With the tie on the bottom, cut holes for arms and a neck hole with a slash in the front-just big enough for your head to fit. Put the ACV shirt on and then the garbage liner, folding the excess liner to the inside and tying the ties to hold it snug to catch drips. On top of all this wear another shirt or bra-something to keep the moisture close to your skin. I've found that wearing this getup for a day (8hours) or at night for two days in a row (I have very tough skin) followed a couple of days later by an afternoon of wearing it will result in what looks and feels like dry, irritated skin. You will know that you are getting somewhere when the ACV shirt tingles/stings just a little bit. You can quit then. Within a couple of days little scabs will form and drop off-with no scarring. The most amazing thing is that many pinhead size dots also showed up, with their micro-sized scabs and dropped off. I believe these are SKs that were just waiting to rise to the occasion!
I did this process twice this spring and was so rewarded when my daughter and best friend couldn't believe what they were seeing when I wore a swimsuit. Nothing!
Anyhow, the whole trick is to keep the AVC next to the skin long enough for irritation, however you choose to do it. I also think that once they are under control it might need to be done quarterly or a couple times a year. I haven't gotten that far yet. Yes, it takes time but it can be done on a weekend. And the cost? Under $3. And it's safe. So for those of you out there who are ready to give up-please try this. It has changed my life:)
Florie

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:22 am      Reply with quote
JamesK wrote:
Yes, that is the site. And thank you so much for your help! I'm going to start treating it soon, as soon I get some neutralizer.

What is the neutralizer / and what does it neutralize, the glycolic acid or the peroxide?
Petunia
5% products discount

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Glytone (29.5 % Glycolic acid) heal and elbow therapy on my SK's. I dabbed on a bit morning and night for about 2-3 weeks. It didn't do a whole lot of good and just made the bumps redder. My nurse practitioner recommended the Glytone for this purpose by the way.
So now I just received the hydrogen peroxide that I ordered and put some on the bumps tonight--not very painful. It doesn't appear to be doing much but I am hopeful.
Petunia
5% products discount

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Update: The hydrogen peroxide burned my skin--sadly not on the SK's but the skin around them. I am a little worried that I might have scarred my skin. The SKs are completely unphased by the treatment. I saw more response with the Glytone but it took longer. Be wary of the hydrogen peroxide folks. Take it from me.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi! I have had a few moles on my back for years which I had examined by a dermatologist earlier this year. Turns out the ugliest two are seborrhoeic dermatitis.

Due to the location I can't safely acid treat them, so forgot ... until this week. The larger one has almost gone!! The one big change is starting back on fish body oil (long chain omega-3) supplements, and then upping the dose. I can't in all fairness link the two conclusively, because I haven't been checking as I have with the keratosis pilaris and mild eczema. Has anyone else tried this?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Hotmadusa

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
To goddess49...hi! I have also been lurking here on this thread for about a year and I started with the H202 treatment as it seemed to have the most promise. I bought the 35% Food Grade and did some different things with it...spraying it diluted on my back (which did almost nothing) and having my partner dab them individually with full strength (bless him)...which seemed to work a bit, but sooooo slowly and painfully. I also have the issue with still having the brown discoloration left where the SKs had been. I have had these terrible things since my 20's also and they have just gotten progressively worse as I get older to the point where I am so self conscious, I HATE them!

I just checked in again here and saw your post about the ACV shirt procedure and was intrigued... I also have way too many of these things to use the bandaid method so I thought shoot, couldn't hurt! Decided to try it on one really annoying wicked one I had on the back of my neck just to experiment...have been skeptical about the whole ACV thing (I mean, really....it's just too easy, right?)....so, I soaked a cotton ball in the ACV and taped it on with a bandaid and left it over night for I think three nights. The next day, it peeled right off! OMG!!! I could hardly believe it!

Okay, so now I'm totally on board with this ACV shirt procedure...I am, as we speak, nearing the last hour of my 1st day of this treatment. I soaked a t shirt with a cup of just plain Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar, put it on, put a garbage liner with holes cut out for my head and arms over that, a stretchy tank top over that to keep the t shirt material next to my skin and then just a loose old thin sweater over that.

It's been uncomfortable and stinky (my partner and I are joking that the house smells like a salad bar!)...there is some tingling, slight itchiness and I have sometimes throughout the day felt cold and clammy...but, you know what? If this works, it will be so worth it! I will report back.

Thank you, goddess49 for this idea...it's quite clever!
goddess49
5% products discount

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hotmadusa, I'm sooo glad you are trying this! It does seem too quick and easy and cheap. I would love to know that it worked for someone else. I haven't grown any new ones in the area I treated last spring-completely clear! Now I have a couple on my legs so I'll probably use bandaids there. I still have a few on my neck that I couldn't cover with the shirt I used but thought I'd wait until after the Holidays to treat. (I wonder if they still make dickeys?)I can hardly wait to find out how you come out. It will take a week or so after you stop ACV for them to scab over and for the scabs to start falling off. Let them come off by themselves if possible to avoid scarring or discoloration. My fingers are crossed for you. and keep us posted.
Hotmadusa

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Goddess49...it's so cool to hear that you are still clear in the areas you treated with the ACV shirt...I'm feeling very hopeful, especially after the success of the icky neck one...I had thought I was growing another head or something! I still have a rush of happiness if I sweep my hand across that area and feel just smooth skin!

I will probably have some on my neck which aren't being touched by the shirt as well...my partner and I were laughing about your question about Dickies!! I haven't heard that word in so long. I bet they do still make them, though...we'll have to check that out.

Okay, so a week...I suppose I can be patient and wait (and not pick the scabs off)...will be hard, tho! But first, another 8 hours in the stinky irritation-shirt...and possibly another few hours after that, right? Ach...ah well, as I said, worth it.

Thanks again, goddess, for the idea and for the well-wishes. I will definitely let you all know how I come out.
Hotmadusa

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all! I am in day two of the ACV shirt treatment. I can tell my skin is irritated, it's mostly just a really mild burning though, so I can handle that. Except that when I first put it on my (ahem) nipples were *really* burning and it wasn't going away. So...guess what I did? I took a couple of pieces of plastic grocery bags and laid them between my skin and the shirt (like pasties Smile, put everything back on and doing fine now. A few hours to go and I will celebrate with a shower!

I have been reading how a lot of folks use this stuff to treat warts...and I guess SKs are something similar. Very interesting.

Will keep you posted!
goddess49
5% products discount

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
LOL Hotmadusa-I had forgotten about the nipple tingling! If that was happening on your second day you were probably sensitive enough to the ACV to quit at that point. And yes, I too, get that rush of happiness when I run my fingers across my smooth skin, especially under my breasts, where I had sooo many. Hope that's not TMI. I also just now realized that I used to have several skin tags that I don't have anymore. Wow! Anxiously awaiting your update...
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |