Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Seborrheic Keratosis - at Home Treatment (Cure)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Mr.Tea

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
This is such a great thread. I have been reading for hours! I'd like to share my interesting experience as well. I had several SKs on my scalp, ranging from 0.5cm to 1cm. I hated them. Dermatologists diagnosed them as SK, but those doctors don't really care about the lesions because they are benign and harmless. I decided to wait a bit since it did not seem urgent. Interestingly I somehow cured them by accident!

One day I decided to try a new brand of shampoo for dandruff control. One of the active ingredients in the shampoo was tea tree oil, so I googled it and read about lots of benefits by this oil including dandruff control. I went ahead and bought a small bottle of 100% tea tree oil from CVS. Every time I shampooed, I just mixed a few drops of the 100% TTO in my shampoo, and left the shampoo on my scalp for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with water. Indeed it proved to be very effective in getting rid of dandruff. After a few weeks of such shampooing, I suddenly realized that I no longer felt the SKs with my finger tips. My scalp was all nice and smooth! I asked my wife to check my scalp inch by inch. It's perfectly clear. There was no sign of any SK. Can't even tell where they were before. Just totally gone!

This is extremely encouraging for me because I still have some SKs on other parts of my body. I feel it's only a matter of time before I get rid of them all. I am very hopeful.
danR

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
trnrmom wrote:

i'm a 69 yr. old female and noticed many sk on my back and a few on my arms. i read many of the postings here and did a lot of research and started out by applying apple cider vinegar…

Hi. [Glycolic acid, incidentially is hydroxy-acetic acid and not materially different from vinegar acetic acid]

I've seen this acv treatment in various places and occasionally the question of ordinary white vinegar comes up, without any further developments. I've had this seborrheic keratosis for ages in/above the trailing eyebrow line, but never bothered too much about it. Anyway, somebody mentioned a few months ago about the 'smudge of grease', so I guess that was it, do something. 3 % peroxide didn't work (maybe it would had I stuck with it for a few weeks, and the 30% stuff isn't easy to get around here and I'm not keen on putting rocket fuel on my skin for any length of time, especially less than an inch from the eye).

Whatever. So apple cider vinegar, esp. the live cultured stuff, which I didn't have and I'm the skeptical sort anyway, everyone talks about. Two days ago, after gently scraping off during idle moments as much of the dry flaky top part over the space of a few days as possible, I put plain old white vinegar on it with a Q-tip, put some more on a porous clear medical skin-tape with a piece of paper towel in the middle and laid it over the thing, trying to get the bottom edge of the tape as plastered down as possible. The top edge in the middle I kept open; thus I was able to keep 'filling the tank up' with white vinegar.

This is the third day, pulled the (now rather grotty) tape off and put on a fresh one. After an hour, finding I'd gotten too much hair caught under the tape, I figured that was enough with the tape and I'd continue dabbing on the white vinegar. Looking at the SK it was now very light, soaked, swollen and weak looking, so I thought what the heck and rubbed lightly a bit at it. Some of the edge started coming off and I kept at it and some of the top central parts was loosening in layers here and there, so with trepidation (not wanting to breach real skin and live blood vessels) just pulled little bits off the edges of those patches of layers  between the fingernails. Those came off cleanly, but its a thick SK, so there's a bit more underneath. Then I worked carefully at some other loose areas with tweezers.

That's it so far with white vinegar, but it's like its already 1/3rd gone, so I'll keep dabbing away and pulling judiciously. So to answer the question, I think it's all about:

a.) keeping the SK damp so it gets softer and softer.
b.) keeping an antibacterial environment. Bacteria hate a strong acid ecosystem. The acetic acid is especially noxious to them.
c.) not expecting the thing to magically peel, fall off, or disappear, just because that seems to happen with others.

I'm now thinking then that even the vinegar is a side issue, possibly a strong salt solution would work just as well. The real magic possibly is getting the keratosis into a mechanically weak state. That's something that doesn't need a dermatologist at all. In other cases, people may not have any layered structure to the SK, and they may have to maintain the soft condition for some time before the thing can start to be peeled back at the edges, perhaps a few mm a day, and/or simply abraded gradually top down, or planed off with disposable razors, a bit every day, keeping the keratosis moist day by day. Personally I don't want with any blade to take off any eyebrow or disturb live tissue.

In any event, that's the present result on an old SK after only a few days' ordinary vinegar. Those who have tried white or cultured acv without 'success' should have another go at it, and this time keep at the dampness/softening factor and then try teasing it off in bits and pieces and stages. Almost everyone notes that vinegar stings, burns. That's telling you that the skin below is live and innervated and you definitely don't want to rush anything and risk serious bleeding. Then you'll have to stop and let it heal and start all over again later.
ahappygirl

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I just realized I never followed up regarding my April post and my course of self treatment. I am thrilled to report that ALL of my SKs are gone following the April treatment. Some took longer than others to completely fall off, but by the end of April they were all gone. Even the two that I reported were different than the others (one that looked like a mole and one that looked like a blister) are gone. The scarring lasted a few months, but now after four months there are no scars and no SKs. It's as if they were never there!
faerie_bel2

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
danR wrote:

That's it so far with white vinegar, but it's like its already 1/3rd gone, so I'll keep dabbing away and pulling judiciously. So to answer the question, I think it's all about:

a.) keeping the SK damp so it gets softer and softer.
b.) keeping an antibacterial environment. Bacteria hate a strong acid ecosystem. The acetic acid is especially noxious to them.
c.) not expecting the thing to magically peel, fall off, or disappear, just because that seems to happen with others.

I'm now thinking then that even the vinegar is a side issue, possibly a strong salt solution would work just as well. The real magic possibly is getting the keratosis into a mechanically weak state. That's something that doesn't need a dermatologist at all. In other cases, people may not have any layered structure to the SK, and they may have to maintain the soft condition for some time before the thing can start to be peeled back at the edges, perhaps a few mm a day, and/or simply abraded gradually top down, or planed off with disposable razors, a bit every day, keeping the keratosis moist day by day. Personally I don't want with any blade to take off any eyebrow or disturb live tissue.

In any event, that's the present result on an old SK after only a few days' ordinary vinegar. Those who have tried white or cultured acv without 'success' should have another go at it, and this time keep at the dampness/softening factor and then try teasing it off in bits and pieces and stages. Almost everyone notes that vinegar stings, burns. That's telling you that the skin below is live and innervated and you definitely don't want to rush anything and risk serious bleeding. Then you'll have to stop and let it heal and start all over again later.

I've read this entire forum topic a few times with great interest. I have two seb k's on my hairline. I had previously frozen these off but they have re-grown. Neutral

DanR's post is very interesting and has got me thinking. Is anyone familiar with hydrocolloid bandages? You can get little disc shaped ones designed mainly for acne. But I was thinking maybe I could have a go at covering my Seb Ks with them to keep them moist and maybe they will come off. What I like about the hydrocolloid patches is that they are almost invisible when worn so I could easily try this treatment during work days and no one would be the wiser! The question is do I still need the vinegar or will simply keeping it covered for an extended period suffice? I'll try and experiment in coming weeks and will report back if I have some results.
dottyrn

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
the FDA approved Aclaris's product for treatment of SK in December, will be available for use in MD offices April/May 2018. It is a 40% solution of H2O2 in a dispenser. After months of self treatment with 35% with some improvement I am looking forward to some more help with this condition.
goldberry

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I have a million SKs and am on a mission to get rid of them. I have tried the vinegar and it did nothing. I tried the peroxide 35%, I have done three or four treatments. The ones I am working on are still not completely gone yet. I also have a complication of bandaids making my skin really irritated, so I have a hard time keeping the areas covered. I'm thinking the peroxide might not be feasible to do to all the ones I have. I have many larger and raised, but also a lot smaller and not raised as much.

I got a 17% glycolic acid lotion that I really like. It's definitely making my skin softer and less bumpy. I'm hoping it will help with my smaller ones and also maybe prevent new ones from growing. The larger ones have gotten softer and less scaly. But it seems to be making my SKs that were smaller and less noticeable darker brown and more noticeable.

I'm hoping that is just the acid starting to work on them and not making them worse, right? If anyone has done the glycolic acid, is this just a phase? And how long to see any results where they are not just darker and uglier?

This thread has been so helpful, thank you!
nellswell

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm a newbie who found this forum after doing a Google search for SK last week (I started noticing them a few years ago, and noticed last week that I seem to have more than over -- none on my face yet, thank goodness, but a few on my legs, a couple on my arms... and about a million on my stomach, ribs, and general "trunk" area).

I decided to try the Apple Cider Vinegar; I've applied some at least once a day (since last Tuesday) and sometimes several times a day, to the SKs on my stomach and ribs. A couple of times I tried soaking a cotton ball and applying it with a band-aid to some of the larger ones; other nights I've just done a general application all over with a Q-tip.

Well, I didn't notice any difference at first -- but tonight (Day Eight) I noticed one of the bigger ones felt sort of "scabby". So I barely touched it... and it came right off! Excited by this, I tried touching a few others and with some "help" from my fingertip, they also came off (I do have to be careful, though, since one grossly started to bleed; can anyone recommend a better way to "help" them off when they're at this stage then just scraping at them? Maybe just using a Q-tip to do the scraping??)

Anyway, I'm thrilled that I now have at least six less SK's (and crossing my fingers they won't return) and wanted to add my voice to the chorus of those for whom the ACV treatment really does work!
Alyr

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:22 am      Reply with quote
This came up on Google and I wanted to share my success with resolving SK with nutrition/supplements.

For unrelated reasons, I changed my diet to Dr Fuhrman Nutritarian Eat to Live.

I had seen a doctor for a "physical" and he dismissed my SK as "not cancer". He also refused to do a lab on my D3 levels.

I went home and did it myself. I was LOW - 24.

Meanwhile, in order to eat nutrient dense food and reverse my climbing blood glucose and lipids and lose some weight I started Eat to Live (ETL).

I tracked everything in Cronometer. When I didn't reach optimum levels I added supplements. I needed 5000 per day D3 to bring up that D3 (you need MORE than usual when you're low).

OK...fine. I lost a LOT of weight and my health was great. One day, about 5 months later when I reached "normal BMI"....I noticed the SK on my legs disappeared. I had forgotten about it.

THEN I checked my back. I used to have easily 25 of them and now only had FOUR!

I was like "What the HECK?".

So I googled better and researched and determined it was my D3 and B levels.

I retested my D3 and it had come up to 35. Also my lipid panel was nearly normal and my blood glucose totally normal. All from food and a few supplements.

Do NOT take a huge bunch of vitamins. Dr Fuhrman is very strict about how they have too many ingredients that are dangerous. IE Vitamin A. He offers his own limited ingredient. For example since we're vegan you HAVE TO Take some B12.

But what I believe REALLY cured my SK was eating an excellent diet (ETL) and making sure all my nutrients were where they needed to be by using Cronometer.

ETL is: greens, vegs, 1 cup beans, nuts and seeds and fruit. A very healthy NORMAL way of eating. No added salts, sugars (real or fake), oil and no animal products or very limited - 2 oz 3x per week maximum.

It's been a year and I still only had those 4 and my dermatologist just froze them off for me this week.

NOTE: When I was in the office and showing him one that itched I scratched it and it got "dry and loose" and he said "DO NOT DO DERMATOLOGY AT HOME! LET ME FREEZE THAT FOR YOU" LOL. Also my insurance covers them if they bother you...itching etc.

Hope this helps.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I am so embarrassed by this condition. I am a 53 year old woman and am becoming covered with Sebhorric Keratoses (face, abdomen, back). When I saw a dermatologist she said she couldn’t really tell for sure what was going on (on my face) as I had picked at it and as a result was ruining my skin. She suggested I had solar lentigos. The wart like growths I have are not flat, however. They are raised and waxy. She prescribed Tretinoin body cream. Does anyone have any experience with the use of Tretinoin for SK’s? I am slso wondering about Cod Liver Oil supplements? My diet is excellent... plant based/organic. I have tried ACV and food grade hydrogen peroxide but I have so many spots now that I don’t know how to use them. If anyone has any suggestions, please help! I am so desperate to find something that works. Thank you.
Marci24

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I am having a difficult time finding 35% H202. Everything I am finding seems to be diluted. Do you have any suggestions where I can find it?
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Marci24 wrote:
I am having a difficult time finding 35% H202. Everything I am finding seems to be diluted. Do you have any suggestions where I can find it?

I bought mine here:

https://www.intothegardenofeden.com/35-food-grade-hydrogen-peroxide

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 23, 2019 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using 35% hydrogen peroxide on my spots for about 2 weeks now and it's working - slowly but surely. I used it for about 5 days, then quit for 3, not on purpose but just got distracted with other stuff. I then noticed that the spots were much lighter and they are breaking up.

However, I'm not really sure that what I have is SK. Looking at images on the web, my spots look much more like solar lentigos, and they did first appear years ago when I was going to a tanning bed regularly. My spots are completely flat, and they are light brown and have changed shape over the years. I know it's not melanoma; if it was I'd be dead by now because I've had these on my face for 30 years.

At one point the one on my right cheek was almost heart shaped - but very unattractive. They were very hard to cover with makeup, they could clearly be seen underneath, but now they are easy to cover because they're so much lighter.

Regardless, the H202 is working! It burns like fire when I first dab it on with a q-tip, but I've found that sitting in front of the A/C or using an icepack, the waterproof kind that doesn't get wet, is very helpful with that. The burning stops after a few minutes. I've been doing this twice a day.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks to see if there's been any more progress. I've also got 70% glycolic acid and will switch to that if I don't see any more progress.

I got my H2O2 35% at the Garden of Eden. I looked for it on eBay and Amazon, but when I read the labels, it said 35% that had been diluted to 12%. This stuff is undiluted - and BE CAREFUL with it. If it gets in your eyes...you're in trouble.

https://www.intothegardenofeden.com/35-food-grade-hydrogen-peroxide

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |