Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what's the best skin (carrier) oil?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
I know some of the top carrier oils are:

Rosehip seed oil
Emu
Avocado
Camelia oil

Are there any others?

And which one would u say is more beneficial? because I don't like to use too many oils on my skin,

I just want something that'll make my skin smooth, glow, even, acne/blemish/millia/blackhead free, etc just to keep it short, nice skin!

Any suggestions?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi.
Jojoba oil is one of my favorites, as well as emu oil. Jojoba oil is actually a liquid wax that is very resistant to oxidation and has a very long shelf-life, which is perfect for my needs. I think it makes the skin very smooth, and it's also suited for more oily skin types.

Macadamia oil is another carrier oil that I have heard good things about, but never tried myself. Apparently its molecule size is perfect to penetrate human skin. You might want to google it for more information.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:16 am      Reply with quote
lovemore wrote:
I know some of the top carrier oils are:

Rosehip seed oil
Emu
Avocado
Camelia oil

Are there any others?

And which one would u say is more beneficial? because I don't like to use too many oils on my skin,

I just want something that'll make my skin smooth, glow, even, acne/blemish/millia/blackhead free, etc just to keep it short, nice skin!

Any suggestions?

I agree with the suggestion of jojoba oil. Will help with blackheads, clogged pores. It's also a good cleansing oil Camellia oil is also light in texture and can help healing. It's a safer bet if you have acne prone skin compared to rosehip which can cause break out in acne prone skin.
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
But even with just jojoba oil, I need to combine that w/ another product to get that flawless young skin right? Because I don't think I've ever heard jojoba oil reverse aging or adding collagen and elastin to the skin.

I kind of have thin and a bit or wrinkled skin for a 20-year old, it doesn't look that obvious but it's due to bad diet and sleep since i was a child and it really shows in my skin.

I'm on a budget and so far thanks to you guys I've added a cheap product ''jojoba'' to my line of products, is there anything else i could use to get beautiful flawless skin?

Also, it seems as though not so many people are using Emu and rosehip oil on their faces..? I've tried both, rosehp made my skin break out, and emu didn't do much for me
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Argan is another one to consider, as well as camellia oil. (I just ordered samples of each from Gardenofwisdom.com)

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I am gonna look into Argan now, thanks!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
lovemore wrote:
But even with just jojoba oil, I need to combine that w/ another product to get that flawless young skin right? Because I don't think I've ever heard jojoba oil reverse aging or adding collagen and elastin to the skin.

I kind of have thin and a bit or wrinkled skin for a 20-year old, it doesn't look that obvious but it's due to bad diet and sleep since i was a child and it really shows in my skin.

I'm on a budget and so far thanks to you guys I've added a cheap product ''jojoba'' to my line of products, is there anything else i could use to get beautiful flawless skin?

Also, it seems as though not so many people are using Emu and rosehip oil on their faces..? I've tried both, rosehp made my skin break out, and emu didn't do much for me

You have high expectations for what results you can achieve by using an oil! I think emu oil is one of the best oils to use on your skin. It's rich in essential fatty acids and known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It leaves the skin soft and hydrated, in my experience, but it will scarcely give you "young, flawless skin".

To give your carrier oil an extra "ooomph" you may want to add essential oils. There are lots of essential oils, like neroli, ylang ylang etc that addresses different skin problems. You will find lots of info about various oil blends on the DIY forum.

Still, it seems as if you are looking for active ingredients that really can make a difference on your skin. As you are on a budget, I would suggest a DIY vitamin C serum with l-ascorbic acid. Topical vitamin C is proven to boost collagen production and even out skin tone. You will find several recipes in the DIY section. Good luck. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Make sure you add sunscreen to that list.

The only thing I really did right for my skin was completely avoiding the sun since I was 23 (19 years ago)....lots of leather-fleshed people here in FL comment on how they wish THEY had stayed out the sun.

Good diet with plenty of omega 3 and 6's, hydration, a good topical oil, a basic Vit C, and sunscreen will really take you a very long way.

Oh, and NO smoking.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily, acne-prone skin and absolutely love OCM. I use a combination of castor, hazelnut, and jojoba oils. I keep the castor and hazelnut mixed in a pump bottle and add a squirt of jojoba oil to the 2-3 pumps of the mixed oils that I use to cleanse my face.

The hazelnut oil is a recent addition for me. It seemed like a good choice for my skin type since it has antiseptic qualities. The castor oil is very thick (good for clearing pores!), even with the hazelnut mixed in, so I add the jojoba just so it spreads a little easier. I've recently started using a mixture of argan and tamanu oils after cleansing to treat the redness from old acne spots. Amazing stuff!
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

From what you've described..it might be worth your time & money to purchase the Dr. Hauschka Normalizing Day Oil. Investing in the carrier & essential oils can get pricy. This is a great product for your skin type. Check it out!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dr-hauschka-normalizing-d-p_2051.htm
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! I dont know who that link was for but it seems like a great product!

I have no time to make my own serum so something premade like this is definitely worth checking out...

thanks!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:03 am      Reply with quote
My fav's are Kukui and watermelon seed. They are prefect for my combo/dry side acne prone skin. Jojoba is popular but causes breakouts for me every time I try to use it.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I will second (or is it third?) the argan oil. It's faboo for combo/oily skin and is noted to have some sebum regulating benefits. Kukui (second that!) is also great for oily/combo skin.

I avoid rosehip seed oil like the plague...it breaks me out like mad. Tried using it around my eye area...wowee...no go for moi!

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
The absolute best oil which will not feel oily is Squalane. It can be used alone or to help other skin care creams work better. You will find it listed on the very best cosmetics because it is such a great carrier oil. Found in the health food store.
No oils around eye at night because skin heats at night and stretching will occur. Use vegetable glycerine around the eye area at night and you will never get crows feet or wrinkles if you start by time you are in your thirties. Only use the vegetable glycerine found in the health food store It is a natural moisturizer and has no oil. If it is too thick just add a little water.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
sittinpretty wrote:
Hi
The absolute best oil which will not feel oily is Squalane. It can be used alone or to help other skin care creams work better. You will find it listed on the very best cosmetics because it is such a great carrier oil. Found in the health food store.
No oils around eye at night because skin heats at night and stretching will occur. Use vegetable glycerine around the eye area at night and you will never get crows feet or wrinkles if you start by time you are in your thirties. Only use the vegetable glycerine found in the health food store It is a natural moisturizer and has no oil. If it is too thick just add a little water.

Squalane (from olives) is definitely fabulous...especially for younger skins since it is a bit lighter.

Sittinpretty - welcome to EDS!

Can you please explain why oils at night cause stretching? I just converted to using oils and that scared the poo out of me! Shock

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
For Bethany.
No oil on eye area at night because body temp. rises while you sleep and this heats the oil. The reaction causes stretching of this delicate skin area. And you will get stretched skin which will manifest as crinkled skin or even bagging around the eyes when it reverts to its cooled state.
You can use oils on the eye area during the day. I use to often put glycerine and olive oil around my eye during the day, or you can use your eye cream or moisturizer.
Vegetable Glycerine will MOISTURIZE the eye area which is what you are really trying to do and you will see beautiful results. Only health food store vegetable glycerine. It is a great idea to do this when you're in your twenties. I was never able to use up the glycerine as you use a minute amount and can mix it with water if it is too thick. It is O.K. to use an eye gel without oil but it is not the same as eye cream. I do not know about eye serums at night because it is always suggested to put your moisturizer over a serum.
I am going to be 60 in March and no crows feet or bags or wrinkles around eyes.
I recently lost weight and now I am All That!
Bur I have some sag in the jowl area that didn't show before when I had more weight on my face.
I bought an expensive serum from Lancome that is supposed to LIFT. And I am using a knockoff of stivectin called Dermactin that I found at Rickys beauty supply in NYC. My skin responded very well to this product.
I am searching for a facial exercise that might help. Any ideas?
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:11 am      Reply with quote
Jojoba oil and sufflower oil are my favourite. I can use both of them as cleasing oil. They didn't get any irritation to my sensitive skin.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:35 am      Reply with quote
sittinpretty wrote:
For Bethany.
No oil on eye area at night because body temp. rises while you sleep and this heats the oil. The reaction causes stretching of this delicate skin area. And you will get stretched skin which will manifest as crinkled skin or even bagging around the eyes when it reverts to its cooled state.
You can use oils on the eye area during the day. I use to often put glycerine and olive oil around my eye during the day, or you can use your eye cream or moisturizer.
Vegetable Glycerine will MOISTURIZE the eye area which is what you are really trying to do and you will see beautiful results. Only health food store vegetable glycerine. It is a great idea to do this when you're in your twenties. I was never able to use up the glycerine as you use a minute amount and can mix it with water if it is too thick. It is O.K. to use an eye gel without oil but it is not the same as eye cream. I do not know about eye serums at night because it is always suggested to put your moisturizer over a serum.
I am going to be 60 in March and no crows feet or bags or wrinkles around eyes.
I recently lost weight and now I am All That!
Bur I have some sag in the jowl area that didn't show before when I had more weight on my face.
I bought an expensive serum from Lancome that is supposed to LIFT. And I am using a knockoff of stivectin called Dermactin that I found at Rickys beauty supply in NYC. My skin responded very well to this product.
I am searching for a facial exercise that might help. Any ideas?

Thanks for the scoop!

Women here rave about Flex Effect as being the face exercise program of choice.

Here is a thread on it:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=27366&highlight=flex+effect

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
i love hazelnut oil. it refines the pores, never clogs, and is lovely as a massage, cleansing, and/or night oil.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
sittinpretty, are there any oils that will diminish wrinkles once they are already there?
sittinpretty

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Rilegirl,
Are you trying to get rid of wrinkles around
eyes? Or on the face or those nasty lines from nose to lip that start to appear after a girls first birthday.
For wrinkles around the eyes use the vegetable glycerin from the health food store mixed with vit. E oil and gently dab this mixture around the eye during the day. Just mix it up in the palm of you hand each day. At night just the glycerin which you can mix with water if you feel it is too thick. Be patient and you will see repair. it may take a couple of months.
For the face I like the Stivectin,I found the knockoff Dermactin at Rickeys beauty supply in NYC which worked very well and cost 10 bucks.
Any cream with Hyaluronic acid will moisturize.
HY Acid absorb 300 times its own weight in water to be the best moisturizer. Lots of talk on peptide but I am clueless about them. HY Acid will get rid of winkles by internal supplementation. Rejuve capsules are sold for this purpose in the health food store. Google for more info. Vit. C supplementation will help improve skin by building collagen. Sun block will prevent damage or mineral makeup is being hyped as being able to block sun, anyone confirm this?
Give me a clue to your age and exactly where your wrinkles are.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:38 am      Reply with quote
sittinpretty, I am mid 40's and a smoker, so my concern are the vertical lip lines above the upper lip. Any oil recommendations for that area to diminish wrinkles that are already there?
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:12 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
sittinpretty, I am mid 40's and a smoker, so my concern are the vertical lip lines above the upper lip. Any oil recommendations for that area to diminish wrinkles that are already there?

You can try this:

1. Creams/oils that you use for wrinkles

2. The lip exercises from Flexeffect/carolyn's/eve's program

3. Relax the mouth area as we all tend to subconsciously curl our lips due to stress, anxiety, anger etc

4. Try a lip pumper as it forces blood to come to your lips and it gives temporary full lips, the longer you use it the longer it stays. I have one of these myself and use it only on days when I feel like my lips are dried up wrinkled and shrunk in and it does work if you are realistic (Don't expect to get Angelina Jolie lips!)

http://www.cynthiarowland.com/overview_ll.php
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Too bad we can't edit our old posts, I was thinking of doing a questionnaire and match the oils with everyones skin types so we could see which oils don't go with what skin types and what oils do good things for our skin.

Nothing's better than user's reviews Wink
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I am mid 40's and a smoker, so my concern are the vertical lip lines above the upper lip. Any oil recommendations for that area to diminish wrinkles that are already there?

I'm sure you know this but the best thing would be to quit smoking as it causes constriction of the capillaries, etc. There are some folk remedies that are supposed to help with quiting like taking some cream of tartar in orange juice (check Wilen sisters books like "Folk Remedies That Work" - I think I heard that from them). I've seen great improvements in people's skin after they quit smoking - more "natural" color / less grey, less wrinkles, etc.

In the meantime, I would use an oil like emu topically. Because emu oil is close in its lipid profile to human oil, it works for most skin types and actually helps balance the skin well. I like it in a cream base and get mine from www.laidinmt.com My skin is dry and really sucks this stuff up!

Also hydrate internally drinking lots of clean water, take essential fatty acid supplements (I take Health from the Sun's Total EFA - combo of Omega 3-6-9 in right balance www.healthfromthesun.com), and Biocell Collagen II with Hyaluronic Acid supplements.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Donell Brightening Cream (1 oz) Vivier Hydration Pack (3 items) Cake Beauty Unsweet Supreme Body Mousse (250 ml / 8.5 floz)