Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How many skin products do you use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have a whole shelf of at least 60+ products that i don't even use! That was a waste of money...

Is it necessary to use a lot of products to achieve great skin results? In my perfect world I would love to just use 2-3 max

How many do you normally use daily and which ones?
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
to buy 60+ products!!! OMG!!! Shock
I`m a minimalist and prefer to use daily as few products as possible, it saves me time and money. So I prefer "active" products and use daily:

a.m.
cleanser
vit.C
moisturizer for eye zone
suncreen

p.m.
cleanser
vit.A (retinaldehyde)

and some masks 3-4 times a week (aspirin mask, Cellcosmet anti-stress, clay mask, honey).

that`s my simple routine.
I`d like to add only Remergent DNA Repair to it and may be some masks, but nothing more. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
I can copy Aiva's post! Cleanser, vitamin C in the morning, vitamin A (tretinoin) in the evening, moisturizer, sunscreen - and sooner or later Remergent DNA Repair!!! Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
what vitamin C products do you both use?
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have tons of skin care products but there are only 8 products that I would use on a daily basis.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
The staples of any good anti-aging skin care routine are Vit A and Vit C. I also have a ton of products in my skincare graveyard, and am giving stuff away to friends since the routine below gives me the best results.

My routine:

AM
- Cleanse with Olay Express Wipes for Sensitive Skin
- Remergent DNA 3x week (nice to have, but not required)

PM
- Cleanse with 302 Face & Body Bar
- Rotate the following:
302 Lightening Drops (2x week)
302 Protein Drops (2x week)
Retin A (2x week)

I use emu oil for moisture when I need it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Since I make 90% of what goes on my face, it's easier to just list the main actives + products I use.

Vitamins;
A
B5/Panthenol
C
E
Lecithin
Soy
MSM (Yep, right in my serum!)

Oils;

Avocado
Emu
Coconut
Grapeseed

Actives;

Varied fruit extracts
Wheat Protein
SKB
Algae extract
Matrixyl 3000
Green tea extract
Mushroom extract
Idebenone (haven't used this in a while)
Niacinamide

Ready made;

Alpha Hydroxy Souffle
Retin-A 0.5% (started 3 wks ago)
Olay (anything containing niacinamide, to keep on hand, for an emergency emulsifier.. Laughing )

I'm sure I forgot a few, but these are the staples for me. I make my serums an ounce at a time, and vary the ingredients each time so my skin doesn't get in a rut.. Laughing

I alternate the following on a daily basis mostly. Usually once a week I give my skin a day off and use nothing at all for 24 hours.

Cetaphil cleanser
Vitamin C serum
Repair/Barrier/Vitamin serum (one serum incorprates all)
Sunscreen (only if out an extended period)
Retinoid or AHA (P.M.)

The Remergent DNA + Barrier repair I bought last month, are now used as a very nice addition to my serums.
Annie B
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've finally found a product routine that's pretty easy to stick to.

AM
Clean & Clear Soft In-Shower Facial or OCM if I have extra time
Rose Hydrosol Spray
Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion
Jojoba oil for eye area
Sunscreen

PM
OCM w/ Castor, Hazelnut, and Jojoba oils
Rose Hydrosol Spray
Ziana (Retin-A/Clindamycin)
Jojoba oil for eye area
Argan & Tamanu oils about 30 minutes after Ziana
Andrea01
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I do 3 simple step each morning & evening. Cleanse, tone, moisturize.Although I am thinking of adding an eye cream/ serum!
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Andrea01 wrote:
I do 3 simple step each morning & evening. Cleanse, tone, moisturize.Although I am thinking of adding an eye cream/ serum!

The eye cream is a must... even if you don't have wrinkles yet, because once your eye area gets wrinkled its so much harder to fix because the skin is so much thinner!
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:55 am      Reply with quote
am
cleanser
sunscreen
face powder

pm
makeup remover
secondary cleanser
AHA
Artic_Mama
5% products discount

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:17 am      Reply with quote
Ugh, I have a ton I have wasted money on, especially because pregnancy gives me adult acne (it's SLOWLY clearing postpartum, but the scarring is driving me CRAZY!!!) but I only use a few and have had great success with those I do use.

I take 2 caplets each of Flaxseed and Fish oil daily, which helps immensely with inflammation and emolliency of my skin.

Use Nocturne (very much like RareMinerals) as a spot treatment when my skin gets bad.

Wash in the day with Skinvac microfiber cloths.

Nightly do the OCM.

OCCASIONALLY use benzoyl or hydrogen peroxide on a particularly bad pimple.

Grapeseed oil as an eye cream.

Nice and simple, right? Works for me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 am      Reply with quote
lovemore wrote:

I had problems with quite a few vitamin C serums. Either they were unstable, or they caused blackheads. I have landed (at least for now) on SkinMedica Vitamin C Complex.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 am      Reply with quote
lovemore wrote:

now I`m using up my samples of Valmont radiance serum, and then have Skinceuticals C&E Ferulic waiting for me in the fridge, hope it will not break me out! (I`m breakout-prone) Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:27 am      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
lovemore wrote:

now I`m using up my samples of Valmont radiance serum, and then have Skinceuticals C&E Ferulic waiting for me in the fridge, hope it will not break me out! (I`m breakout-prone) Rolling Eyes

Actually, I have SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic in my fridge, too, and will start using it when I have used up some samples. Crossing my fingers that it won't cause clogged pores. If it does, I go back to SkinMedica as I know it works for me. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Aiva wrote:
lovemore wrote:

Actually, I have SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic in my fridge, too, and will start using it when I have used up some samples. Crossing my fingers that it won't cause clogged pores. If it does, I go back to SkinMedica as I know it works for me. Embarassed

Hi September! Smile
thanks to you I know what to use if C&E Ferulic will cause me pimples Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 am      Reply with quote
I think the key to good skin is paying close attention to what works for you on an individual basis, nevermind what experts, friends, family, reviewers, etc. tell you.

I am currently experiencing good skin for the first time since my late teens (I'm now in my mid-twenties). The key to this was keeping a skincare 'diary' where I recorded the stuff I used on my skin, AM & PM and the condition of my skin. That helped me a LOT when I was trying to figure out what was making me breakout or too dry or whatever. By keeping this record and checking ingredients against the SAGE database, I was able to eliminate a lot of ingredients that were irritating and comedogenic for me (can't stress this enough since some ingredients will be great for some people and awful for others).

This was how I figured out that glycerin is terrible for my skin. I noticed a big improvement in my skin when I stopped using products that had it as a top 5 ingredient.

Anyway, off my soapbox! My daily skincare products include:

1. Rachel Perry Tangerine Dream cleanser (or any gentle cleanser that doesn't have comedogenic ingredients in its top 5)

2. DHC Deep Cleansing Oil

3. Skinoren/Finacea gel

4. Kiehl's Moisturizing Eye Stick SPF 30

5. Avene Soothing Eye Contour Cream

6. Sofina UV Lucent SPF 50+

7. Tazorac

8. Peter Thomas Roth Mineral Instant Mineral (how I 'top up' my sun protection during the day; also doubles as a mattifying powder)

9. Spironolactone ('scrip med used to correct hormone imbalance)

This may look like a lot but I have naturally difficult skin: combination, very acne-prone, somewhat sensitive, very reactive, tough and thick. So to me, this is pretty basic, especially compared to what my skincare routine used to look like, pre-Spiro.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
I can also relate to lovemore and others........I just took a break as I was cleaning out my skincare products, make-up, and hair care junk drawers. I have filled up one large garbage bag and am not done yet.

I totally agree with Nijey. I was a major contributor for the Elysee skin care board for a few years and people wanted to know my secret of having great skin. First of all for me it is genetic plain and simple. For any one that has read Leslie Bowmann's book, Skin Care Type, I am an ORNT (borderline Non-pigmented). This is the easiest skin to take care of.

Everyone's skin is different. We all need to find the winning combination that individually works for our own individual skin care needs. Trying to copy someones routine unless you have the same skin type is not going to work in my opinion.

Our skin care needs change too. At 55, I recently found many of the Elysee skin care products were not working for me any longer. I was developing nasolabial folds and cheek creepiness that I didn't like.

So my new simplified program without several serums on top of serums and creams, etc.

a.m.
Cetaphil cleanser
Phloretin CF SkinCeuticals
Remergent DNA repair
Laura Mercier Oil free moisturizer

p.m.
Dr.Hauschka cleansing cream
Retin A
Remgerent DNA repair
Remergent barrier cream

I love masques and peels:
gentle efoliate: Ice Elements 2MM
exfoliate: NCN Pro pumpkin peel
skim calming: Mario Badescu Azelene Masque
Vitamin masques- Dermalogica Multivitamin and NCN seaweed therapy
Firming: Elysee Avenger masque
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I think simplicity is the best. So I use...

Morning

PSF Castile Cleanser
Dr.Hauschka daily moisturizer

Evening

PSF Castile Cleanser again
R&R Toner

Yay for simplicity! Very Happy
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:43 am      Reply with quote
Nijey, you're right on the money, it's different for everyone, I am currently finding out what works for me right now!

PlatinumRose, it's true that once you find routine you have to switch it up because once ur skin gets used to something it stops improving so i like to keep it stimulated

sophias, simplicity is the best for me too, as im lazy and would never keep up w/ a long routine.

We;ll see after this diet change if my skin will improve on it's on,.... by the way I remember reading somewhere about the 'no moisturizer' approach, does anyone remember?
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:59 am      Reply with quote
lovemore wrote:
Nijey, you're right on the money, it's different for everyone, I am currently finding out what works for me right now!

PlatinumRose, it's true that once you find routine you have to switch it up because once ur skin gets used to something it stops improving so i like to keep it stimulated

sophias, simplicity is the best for me too, as im lazy and would never keep up w/ a long routine.

We;ll see after this diet change if my skin will improve on it's on,.... by the way I remember reading somewhere about the 'no moisturizer' approach, does anyone remember?

Love, at 20smthing all you need is prevention. Vit.C serum and a good sunscreen should be your best friends. Also no tanning (I remember you said you liked your tan? - stop using tan-booths or you will be loosing all results from your expensive skin-care).

Also - enough water, good diet, enough sleep, exercise and no stress.

as far as moisturizer goes, it depends on your skin type - if it`s dry - then better use it, mine is combo-oily so I can use only vit.C+sunscreen in the morning, but will use an emolient cream in the p.m.

speaking of "no moisturizer" approach - is it about Dr.Hauschka`s philosophy that nothing at all should be used at night?
I`m not a fan of it Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
You know what, I think I will change my Dr.Hauschka's moisturizer to the PSF balancing moisturizer. My skin seems to react better to the PSF products.

I do use Dr.Hauschka's cleansing cream from time to time. I know it isn't an exfoliant but it sure works like one.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Dewds: please don't throw all that stuff out! Recycle it to MUA or at least give it to a womens' shelter!!

I hear you loud & clear, love, after spending a small fortune and a lot of time experimenting, I've finally hit on something that is working;

Cleanser a.m.: Zenbiotic Face & Body cleanser
Treatment a.m.: Skinceuticals AOX 10, NIA24 SSC, Keys Soap Solar Rx SPF 30

Cleanser p.m.: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, followed by Zenbiotic Cleanser
Treatment p.m.: GreenCream Level 3

Easy, no? I don't use any other moisturizers or eye creams since the products themselves have aloe and/or HA and do just fine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:12 am      Reply with quote
regular using 20+
bought but still not open 20+
Open but not regularly use 30+

Sad really consume a lot..... always want to try new thing after reading others good comments, a serious sickness
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
lovemore wrote:
Andrea01 wrote:

The eye cream is a must... even if you don't have wrinkles yet, because once your eye area gets wrinkled its so much harder to fix because the skin is so much thinner!

I agree eye cream is important. Does your moisturizer has spf? I think sun protection is important year round.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |